Newborn Diapers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Irises-- Which brand of diaper works best, either disposable or cloth, is yet another variable that will depend a bit on your child. Sorry!

My son got a terrible rash from Luvs and Pampers and even 7th Generation disposables, but he can wear Huggies for a couple of days straight with no problem. Go figure! (He's never had diaper rash while in cloth. I know others whose children get more rashes with cloth than disposables--though I personally think the washing method leads to this issue.)

Back to cloth, no matter what works for anyone else, I will always recommend buying fewer of each item and more types just to start out. (Okay--I think a dozen prefolds is useful for ANY diapering family. They make great burp cloths, changing pads, etc.) Some of my favorite diapering sites (www.diaperware.com comes to mind) will base your discounts on EVERYTHING you've bought in the past, not just each order. This means you can order here and there as you need something new, and still enjoy a discount.

Even if you know you want prefolds, it is worth sampling different brands. You may be surprised which you find easiest to use, or easiest to wash, or quickest to dry, easier to use with pins vs. Snappi vs. laid loose in a good cover... There are so many options now, you can go crazy figuring it out, but the selection is a lot of fun, too.

I'm a total CD addict. I am THRILLED to buy new diapers for a new baby. I'm still excited for DS to use the potty, but the diapers are just so darn cute. Who has ever thought that about disposables?

--willo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
Irises-- Which brand of diaper works best, either disposable or cloth, is yet another variable that will depend a bit on your child. Sorry!

My son got a terrible rash from Luvs and Pampers and even 7th Generation disposables, but he can wear Huggies for a couple of days straight with no problem. Go figure! (He's never had diaper rash while in cloth. I know others whose children get more rashes with cloth than disposables--though I personally think the washing method leads to this issue.)

Back to cloth, no matter what works for anyone else, I will always recommend buying fewer of each item and more types just to start out. (Okay--I think a dozen prefolds is useful for ANY diapering family. They make great burp cloths, changing pads, etc.) Some of my favorite diapering sites (www.diaperware.com comes to mind) will base your discounts on EVERYTHING you've bought in the past, not just each order. This means you can order here and there as you need something new, and still enjoy a discount.

Even if you know you want prefolds, it is worth sampling different brands. You may be surprised which you find easiest to use, or easiest to wash, or quickest to dry, easier to use with pins vs. Snappi vs. laid loose in a good cover... There are so many options now, you can go crazy figuring it out, but the selection is a lot of fun, too.

I'm a total CD addict. I am THRILLED to buy new diapers for a new baby. I'm still excited for DS to use the potty, but the diapers are just so darn cute. Who has ever thought that about disposables?

--willo
I have to second Inge's selection and cs rock!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 PM

i hated snappis! i thought they came off, slid around and sometimes snagged skin- i preferred pins to snappis, but preferred covers that didn't need pins more, and then i found POCKET DIAPERS!!

anyway, for NEWBORNS, i have found that we don't leave the house for about 3 weeks- mostly i lounge around in my bed oohing, aahing, falling in love with my baby, nursing, napping, reading, eating...with visits from my kids and husband and occasionally a friend. i CANNOT recommend this enough, if it's possible for you- you can't ever get that precious time back! So...while we are hanging around in bed, i don't always even have a diaper attached to the baby. i might put a diaper under the baby while i'm holding it to nurse, or it might be sleeping on a diaper, but i found covers to be really bothersome at first when the cord is trying to dry and fall off (can take up to 12 days). and then at night i used waterproof Nikky covers- i have 5 of these- which i found much softer and more pliable than other kinds. my newborns woke to nurse every hour or two through the night, so i changed the baby then too. so it's not as important to find a super soaker night time diaper for newborns, imo.

i'm ordering the wider newborn diapers from montana diaper store, which can be pinned if i want to keep the diaper on the baby. and they'll work as stuffers for the pocket diapers (i use wonderoos/haute pockets-i have 20) once i want to start up with the whole diaper system around 3 weeks.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrat View Post
Edited to add I just got a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer and am so excited to use it for diapers
Ooooooooo - I'm jealous! But I think I'll be getting a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer before June

I'm a fitteds with wool gal, myself. I have 38 newborn/small fitted diapers (a combination of Muttaquin Baby, Kindhearted Women, and Swaddlebees), 4 wool covers, and 5 knitted soakers. I'm planning to get a dozen organic colorgrown prefolds, a couple more covers and knit a couple more soakers. I also have a good small (or small-ish medium) stash going - a mixture of El Bee Baby, Under the Nile, and Precious Coverings. I'm a sucker for organic fabrics and merino wool.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Edited to add I just got a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer and am so excited to use it for diapers
We have had this washer and dryer for over years now and love them!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 PM

I found that Sunshine dipers has a good sounding deal on Kissaluvs. You get 24 size 0's that you use for three months. Then you send them back for a credit towards whatever type of dipers you choose to use in the longer term. The "rental?" cost is $230 but you get $150 back in credit at the end and their costs for dipers are certainly reasonable.

Any opinions?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:17 PM

I bought a whole lot of different diapes before i came to Sa from the UK, I now make diapers in south africa as there were none here went i got back

They grow out of newborn so fast but it so cute to have a few small ones so will probably make myself a few, still have all the rest from dd
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamin View Post
We have had this washer and dryer for over years now and love them!!!
I had never heard about them until I read a lot of rave reviews on Mothering.com. I learned a few weeks ago that our old dryer was 30 years old (!!!!) and decided we had better buy new before I needed it for dipes (the last thing I wanted was for it to break down or start a fire with a new baby!). I didn't think I'd be able to find them and wasn't going to look, but there they were at one of the first places we looked, and it was love at first sight : Apparently our old washing machine weighed as much as both of them put together, poor delivery guys

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
Which brand of diaper works best, either disposable or cloth, is yet another variable that will depend a bit on your child. Sorry!
I sooooooo agree! I started with Fuzzi Bunz when ds#2 was 2 weeks old - about 7 lbs and they worked great (I stuffed them with an extra doubler in order to bulk them up a bit). I was attached to FBs because they were the only ones that I could work with ds#1. I bought 18 diapers at first, but I was already washing diapers for ds#1 at the same time, so loads were done regularly. Good luck!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I had never heard about them until I read a lot of rave reviews on Mothering.com. I learned a few weeks ago that our old dryer was 30 years old (!!!!) and decided we had better buy new before I needed it for dipes (the last thing I wanted was for it to break down or start a fire with a new baby!). I didn't think I'd be able to find them and wasn't going to look, but there they were at one of the first places we looked, and it was love at first sight : Apparently our old washing machine weighed as much as both of them put together, poor delivery guys
We are due date buddies!

Before getting the Fisher set we had a Kenmore front loader that was about 3 years old and started leaking oil on everything! Not good! Plus I was much more worried about build up with the front loader.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 PM

I've heard many times that front-loaders won't get cloth diapers clean, but my diapers are cleaner (based upon the SNIFF test and how often I need to re-wash "clean" loads) than they were before my old front-loading machine bit the dust last November.

I do have a super-hot "sanitary" cycle that heats the water above our child-safe water heater setting, and I know that helps. The more important thing is just running a quick wash on cold at least every 2 days.

My diapers needed vinegar about every other week with the old top-loader, and I use it maybe every 2 MONTHS now. Plus, my water bill went from $100/month to $100/quarter with no other changes in our usage.

I hope no one is afraid to get a front-loader because of comments they've read online!

I'm thinking of getting one of those manual "washing machine" deals that some of the eco-catalogs sell just to do a quick hand wash/soak of the poopy newborn diapers, but that's because DH thinks it is so gross to put poop in the washing machine. Since DS was a toddler when we got the new one, we were already at the stage where solid poops were lifted out of the diapers (I use rice paper liners) and flushed. DH would prefer that we never put poop in this washer.

--willo
Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM

Willo- Tell me more about the manual washing machines??? Please. I have a front loader, and it just doesn't use enough water to rinse diapers out they way they should be. It does awsome on clothes, but actually when dd was potty training, I had problems with it not rinsing out single layer panties enough. So we have been talking about what our options are to improve things for this round of diapers (dd was potty learning when we got the front loader, and only in diapers part time for a few months). It sounds like your front loader is a lot better one than mine- mine only has a few settings and not a sanatize one. I think there is a huge variety amoung them of how well they work- if I had it to do over, I would definately get one with a sanatize option.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 01-22-2007, 12:44 PM

My washing machine, which I've had since Nov. 2005, is an LG. I took the risk of a "new" brand (in the US) because it felt better than the Whirlpool I was considering (sturdier soap dispenser part, etc.) and I like their "direct drive", beltless design, plus their top-of-the-line model cost less than the best Whirlpool/Kenmore/etc. I've been thrilled with it.

Now, as for those manual "washing machine" doohickeys, which I've only seen in catalogs, not tried yet.

I've seen two types--one totally human-powered, and one you plug in.
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=1600
(go to www.lehmans.com and search for Pressure Handwasher if this link doesn't work)

http://store.auctionaticstore.com/etn4068.html
(This is an As Seen on TV type product--the Wonder Washer--and I'm assuming would be less robust than the first item. Might still work for a first quick poop dissolving wash for my needs, though!)

Of course, the first catalog I mentioned, Lehman's, is a store for non-electric living. They have old fashioned laundry tubs like the Amish use. I might just try their Rapid Washer (special baffled plunger for hand washing) and a wet bucket in my basement. It's worth trying for $13!

--willo
Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_nature View Post
I knit my own covers and longies but I also use the Motherease covers and Bummis wraps. I can't wait to start knitting for the new bundle. I'm going to start with my own variation of the LTK ribby wrap. I just need to spin and dye a complimentary color to what I have already.

Are there any other fiberjunkies in the DDC?
Yes!! I've been knitting things for our first for about 2-3 years. I am hopelessly addicted to nice yarn. I just finished my first pair of picky shorts, and have about a dozen soakers (LTK hybrid wrap and original soaker), and about 6 pair of longies ready. I want to make a few more pairs of shorts soon though.

I'm also sewing diapers, but since this is a first baby I'm praying like crazy that they will work!!! I've spent a lot of time on the CD making forum and had a friend come show me how she makes diapers.

I've collected several PUL covers and I hope to get some prefolds and AIOs before the baby arrives (I'm too chicken to make my own AIOs).

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM

We use prefolds and pins. With first DD I used nylon covers, but with this child it will be wool right from the beginning. I have started crocheting shorties and longies for this baby. They go alot faster than the longies I had been making for DD (26 months). I love wool!!!

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Anyone have good luck knitting soakers or longies out of anything other than wool? Both DH and I have true wool sensitivities. We've tried any number of premium and organic wool yarns, and none have failed to leave red welts on our skin. But I love to knit and would really like to make some soakers and shorties for the new baby coming this summer!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM

I like fitteds and wool. I bought some kissaluvs with DS and looked at everyone's cloth diapers I could find. I thought they were all super expensive and so hauled out the sewing maching and bought the Fern and Faerie pattern. I made diapers out of old clothes and fabric scraps. I also got introduced to hemp fleece and felted wool. Now I make all my own with my own patterns that work super with my kids' body shapes. They are really lean! I felt my own wool and cashmere and with this baby plan on doing felted cashmere covers with fitteds. Like PP I don't use covers at the beginning and don't always use diapers. We do EC along with CD. I like to use laminated fleece/sandwhich fleece as a waterproof pad to lay baby on. You'll be surprised how quickly you catch on to when your naked baby needs to go. It's easy to catch and rinse the bowl that catches the poo and pee.
I think that for most folks, no one diaper is the best. Babies are all different shapes and sizes. Some have skinny legs and fat tummies and some are sumptious rolls of yummy fat. Some are long waisted and some are short waisted. I like to use eBay and look at used kids stores for old diapers/covers. There are a ton of wahms out there who make affordable diapers and covers. Some will even work with you on pricing once you've tested the product and want to place a big order. Look around, and most of all Have FUN!
It's so nice to have a cute butt rather than just a plain on sposie butt!!!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
Old 01-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Try cashmere or alpaca. You should have no problem lanolizing either. I've even accidently lanolized a fleece cover and it took quite a bit to get the lanolin off the fleece. Ha Ha Ha!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Saratchka, try a llama/alpaca cover. I've got one, and it works. I can vouch for www.kusikuy.com. I've ordered from them twice and received very good service. They sell socks and things if you need to try out the fabric to be sure you aren't allergic!

I get itchy from even the best organic wool (though not nearly to the extent I do with acid-scoured wool!), but I can wear alpaca.

I've also known one woman who was cured of a wool allergy via homeopathy, but we've lost touch, so I can't tell you more than that.

--willo

User Tag List