Newborn Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO what do ladies plan on buying? I didn't use cloth with DD until 4 months so I am a little overwhelmed with all of the choices. I used pocket diapers with DD until she was about 1 yr then switched to fitted.

I have been looking at kissaluvs but I just can't decide!!!
#2 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 PM

I just used prefolds/snappi/cover with my daughter but since then I've started sewing diapers myself so I think I'll be making a few newborn fitteds... just nice to have a little variety. I have heard that newborn dipes (esp kissaluvs) have a great resale value (80-90%).

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#3 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 03:38 PM

We'll probably just do prefolds and PLU covers/Bummi's in the beginning.
#4 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM

We've been a 100% prefolds/snappi/cover family so far, but I actually bought a few newborn Kissaluvs this time around. I got them used here on the TP, and they were a decent price. Hopefully I can sell them back afterwards!

The only reason I bought some newborn fitteds this time around is that I remember how HUGE the small prefolds were on dd and ds; so big I couldn't really even snappi them for a while, which in turn made the newborn covers not fit as snuggly as they should, which in turn made them leak out the sides.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#5 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM

I'd really like to use cloth. I have no experience with them what-so-ever, and neither does anyone else I know personally. I've been reading the cloth diapering boards and reviews, and am thinking about getting some BumGenius 2.0, but I really don't know.

Does anyone have some good advice for a newbie?
#6 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM

I have used Motherease diaper since DS1 was about 4 months old. I love them. They are still in awesome shape after 2 kids and 7 years of use. I tried Kissaluvs and hated them. They didn't fit as well, were too thick and took forever to dry.

I knit my own covers and longies but I also use the Motherease covers and Bummis wraps. I can't wait to start knitting for the new bundle. I'm going to start with my own variation of the LTK ribby wrap. I just need to spin and dye a complimentary color to what I have already.

Are there any other fiberjunkies in the DDC?
#7 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM

I LOVED my kissaluvs with DD. I still have them all as well as stashing other various nb fitteds. I never tried prefolds till she was older but still use fitteds. Also the size 0 kissaluvs worked well for us for awhile I just added a doubler when we needed more absorbancy.
#8 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM

I have a little bit of everything, but I have never cd'd a newborn yet so I don't know what will work best. From what I hear, different diapers work on different babies. I have:

Kissaluv 0's (12)
VB AIO in NB and SM (5 or so)
Preemie and infant prefolds (lots)
RB FLAMS (2)
FMBG NB AIOs (2)
I also have some Fuzzi Bunz and Swaddlebee pockets

Then I have all sorts of covers.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_nature View Post
yup!

#10 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 PM

With my dd I used flats that I folded into a shape that fit her best. I had a lot of prefolds too but she couldn't fit them until she was over a month old.

I'm considering trying some AIOs for this new one. I'm just a little hesitant because I know that breastfed poo is going to go all over if the wee one has skinny legs like my dd did.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#11 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_nature View Post

another knitter over here. I started my first pair of picky shorts last week but I need to finish another pair of pp for my DD first since I need those DPN's!!!
#12 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
With my dd I used flats that I folded into a shape that fit her best. I had a lot of prefolds too but she couldn't fit them until she was over a month old.

I'm considering trying some AIOs for this new one. I'm just a little hesitant because I know that breastfed poo is going to go all over if the wee one has skinny legs like my dd did.

You can always use fleece liners or rice paper to catch the poo!
#13 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
So all-in-one's = bad idea unless baby has plucky legs? I don't know what to do !:
#14 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 PM

We used primarily snappi'd prefolds (newborn and infant size--not so enormous as a "regular") during the first 6 months (until the "alligator wrestling" stage, when I switched to Fuzzi Bunz for ease!), but, at night, we used a fitted diapers (Kissaluvs plus other brands) with a prefold over it with a wool soaker on top.

DS had a bum the size of Texas when we went to bed. He definitely slanted down from bum to head. However, I never had a leak in MY BED!

FYI to people nervous about cloth, we only had two leaks ever with cloth diapers (in the young baby stage, using PREFOLDS) where we had at least half a dozen with disposables--and we only used disposables a few times per week for going out long distances!

--willo
#15 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 PM

I bought Kissaluvs not fitted (just the free form - can't remember the proper name) and couldn't keep the poo contained and I also found that the prefolds weren't doing too well either in the first few weeks. After a six weeks or so of half cloth and half not, I did get some nice fitted (Swaddlebees organic velour) and Bumgenius and really liked them. I am not convinced the Bumgenius will do well on a newborn, especially not with the Cottonbaby insert (love the insert just not on a newborn).

I sold most of my baby stash on ebay (you do get good money back) but will replace - maybe some swaddlebees, maybe small fuzzi bunz, maybe some wham fitteds I know about - I will work my way up over the next few months.

I will also recloth my 12 month old when this new baby is born - the bumgenius will be awesome for him!
#16 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 PM

So far my stash includes:
12 IPF's in Premie size
18 CPF's in Infant size
8 Kissaluves 0
2 VB XS AIO
4 Sweet Cheeks AIO's (newborn I think)
1 Little Lambs newborn AIO
1 Aristocrats wool cover in small
1 snap on (can't recall brand) small cover

I plan to get at least 6 Bummis SWW covers in newborn and 6 in small, not sure what else I need. I'm thinking I want some one size diapers for after baby is a little bigger- maybe BG 2.0? Not sure.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#17 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 12:37 AM

So another newbie question...how exactly do you use the prefolds? They are called prefolds but you still have to fold them right? How do you mamas fold these things. I'm just not sure I get it.
#18 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 01:11 AM

i'll probably mostly use prefitteds, snappis, and newborn proraps for the itty bitty stage. i'm "prefold challenged" and can't get them folded up right so i took my scissors and sewing machine, shaped them and added elastic to the legs and they worked great on my middle dd.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#19 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 AM

I am in a time warp.... I use the old fashion cotton dipes with dipe pins . I swear by these as they are cheap and dd's never had dipe rash. I use a snap cover by bummi's (bought used).... I spent less than 50 bucks for dipes on 3 dd's!!!! Dh hates cloth dipes but rarely complains because we have saved a fortune!
#20 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 AM

I've used prefolds (fabulous) and contour (waste of money), and have just ordered my first flats since they are 1. cheap 2. adjustable size-wise and 3. they dry super fast. I had a few pocket diapers, but hated them because I had to wash the covers every time they diaper was changed...seems like quite a waste of energy when you can use covers (over a prefold) several times before they have to be washed. Here's a link to a visual demo of how I've always folded my prefolds http://diaperpages.com/angel_fold.php . This fold has rarely failed for us!

CDing has been such a rewarding and relatively easy experience. Good luck, and feel free to give me a shout if I can answer anything specific for you.

Oops, meant to say, too, that I use Snappi's for keeping diapers on. Pins are okay, but take a lot more time than the Snappi!

Mama of three incredible bf, cd, naturally birthed little people!
#21 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 03:58 AM

I have a full stash of FB's (newborn and smalls) that we used for DD and I'll probably use them again with this kid. But I'm no longer a fan of microfleece, so a little part of me is wanting to get a bunch of Kissaluvs for the newborn period. I don't love the feel of the synthetics, and I don't want to have to wash the new baby's dipes seperately from DD's cotton and hemp diapers (assuming DD doesn't magically PL before the new sibling arrives!) so I'm considering shelling out the bucks for the Kissaluvs, then maybe just doing mostly prefolds & covers after that. With a few super-cute LHC AIOs for fun, of course!

For those new to CD with a newborn, the Fuzzi Bunz with microterry inserts worked great on DD and we had only one poop blowout ever. We had a couple pee leaks in the early days, but those were the result of DH's refusal to actually snap the diaper on tight enough that it wouldn't gape at the legs.
#22 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM

For the person who asked:

A "prefold" is still a rectangle, it's just been sewn to have multiple layers, especially down the middle where the baby will (usually!) pee/poop.

Practice on a doll if you don't have a baby available.

You put the diaper down flat and unfolded. Put the doll/baby down on the diaper so the back edge of the diaper goes where you'd expect the back of pants/diapers to hit on the baby's back (above the bum!) Take the two front corners, currently under baby's knees/feet and fold them in to the middle of the front edge so you have a piece about 1/3 as wide in the front as the unfolded back is wide. On a tiny baby, you will probably also fold this thick front piece down a few inches or else the diaper will be up to baby's armpits in front. Holding the thickly folded front in place, use your other hand to bring the back corners around over the front to form the "shape" of the diaper around baby, right where disposables' velcro would be--ideally, only cloth is touching your child and there are many layers that would actually make it hard to pin your baby if you use pins. Use pins (through the top layers only) or a snappi to attach back edges over front thick layer.

Voila!

I've actually just gone back to prefolds on my 3 year old! He outgrew his large Fuzzi Bunz, and I won't buy any larger diapers as I really think he's on the verge of potty training. I found them trivially easy in the beginning, but prefolds became VERY HARD to use when DS got super wiggly at around 6 months.

I still say, until you meet your baby, it is best to buy a few each of DIFFERENT TYPES of diapers. I was surprised by which ones I liked best sometimes!

I tried using flats (seriously--just an enormous, thin piece of cloth), and never could fold them well enough to fit my son, but I tried them after he was wiggly. (Newborns don't move much.) Ditto "Australian nappies" (the terrycloth flats.) Still, a flat diaper folded in half, then into thirds, is now my favorite doubler since one prefold won't hold my son's super-floods. Flats dry SO fast. I'm glad I only bought three of them, though, since they didn't work as diapers for me.

--willo
#23 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I used PF to stuff my Happy Heiny's!! Seriously, PF's, for whatever reason, intimidate me!
#24 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM

I am another one who has never even seen a baby being diapered in cloth, but my husband and I have decided to give it a shot. I put a bunch of different kinds of diapers on our registry, so we'll have an assortment to try out before we invest in one kind. We are also going to buy a sampler package from heinyking that includes prefolds, fitteds, pockets, and AIOs. That seems like a good way to test-drive them, since even the best reviews can't really account for what will work on our baby. (Marvelleaux, maybe you want to try this route, too. I also really want BumGenious to work, but I've heard they are great on some babies and not so great on others.)

We plan to use disposibles just for the first week or so, since we'll be new at everything and may need a little time to ease into cloth (and laundry).

Can anyone recommend a good disposible diaper for a newborn? Thanks.

-Iris
#25 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 AM

This is what I have so far:

3 small swaddlebees AIOs
1 BumGenius 2.0
1 small little beetle original
12 Thirsties newborn prefolds (9.5x13" 4-10lbs)
12 Thirsties infant premium prefolds (12x16" 7-15lbs)

1 newborn Litewrap cover (6-10 lbs)
1 newborn WAHM PUL cover (tiny)
1 newborn Imse Vimse Bumpy cover (6.5-13 lbs)
1 small aristocrat wool cover (7-20 lbs)
1 small little beetle wool cover

4 wipes

What I plan on getting:
2 small Little Beetle hemp originals
6 small Little Beetle hemp lite
1 small Little Beetle ONE
12 NB snugglebottoms w/ velcro fitteds
more wipes

After doing a lot of research I had planned on doing mostly Little Beetle fitteds, but I just got one and it seems awfully big and bulky, and I'm not sure it'll work on a newborn. Plus they just raised their prices quite a bit Then I found the snugglebottoms and think that may be a really good way to go for the newborn stage. They're super cheap for fitteds, though there aren't many reviews of them. So to all the people who have done this before, how am I doing so far?

Edited to add I just got a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer and am so excited to use it for diapers

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#26 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the demo!

Like Zion, I didn't know what pre-fold ment. For the record, I don't know what a "snappi" is, either.

Looks like I'm going to go write a big request in the diaper forum...
#27 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

If you check the website with the demo and watch the demo of the Newspaper fold- there is a bright red snappi- its sort of a y shaped thing you use instead of pins- it has little claws to grab the fabric.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#28 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

How many dipaers everyone plan on buying? Those of you who have a stash started do you plan on getting more? I know that when DD was an infant, we went through about 15 diapers a day! All that BM made for lots of wet and poopy diapers!!! I don't want to get too many since the babe will outgrow them quickly; however, I don't want to be short? I am thinking 3dozen sounds like a good number. I have wipes already and just purchased 8 more so I am good on those. And I have my wipe warmer from DD. I just mix lavander oil and tea tree oil in the water to keep it from getting yucky!
#29 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM

The cloth diapering forum was invaluable to me when I was figuring out how to CD. I bought some covers to use with my prefolds, but they were not working at all and the CD forum helped me figure out why.

There are some good webpages that some of the CDing folks have put together...there used to be one called Karen's Cloth Diapering Page that I referred to a lot. That was 5 years ago though so I don't konw if it's still up, but you could Google it or find the link in the CD forum. "Karen" goes through what a snappi is, how to fold prefolds, what fitted diapers look like, etc.

A big factor to consider is cost. CDs like AIOs and fitteds are not cheap, and especially when you're buying small sizes that they go through quickly you want to consider just how much $$ you want to spend. Getting used helps, but even they are still pricey. By far the least espensive option are prefolds; once your baby gets to be ~4 months old or so, the prefolds will last for the rest of their diapered life. You will have to buy diaper covers as they grow, but that's it.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#30 of 49 Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
There are some good webpages that some of the CDing folks have put together...there used to be one called Karen's Cloth Diapering Page that I referred to a lot.
It is still out there... I was planning to post the link today: http://diaperpages.com/index.php

Some other sites helpful for us starting out were:
http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp
http://www.dy-dee.com/html/Folding/folding.html
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

We have always used prefolds and covers. I bought 3 dozen infant sized prefolds and then 3 dozen premium sized prefolds and this has gotten us to this point (daughter is 16 mo) and she'll be in the premiums until she potty trains. I prefer Bummi Super Whisper Wraps for general use.... they last forever, you can dry them on hot and they don't leak. We also use the Bummi fleece covers at night, and also wool soakers that I knit. I have added some AIOs and fitteds to the stash because I started sewing them... it is nice to have a little variety, but I do love Snappied prefolds and covers for price, efficiency and simplicity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page