henna belly or belly cast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone planning on doing one, or done them before. I know it is till really early but was at a friend baby shower yesterday and she had a henna belly it looked so beautiful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Not in your DDC but I did a belly cast with #3, professional pregnancy pics with #4 and will have a henna done by friends at my Blessingway.
I did my cast and the photos at 38 weeks and my Blessingway will be at 38.5 weeks

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#3 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM

I did the belly cast with my last pregnancy, and thought it was so silly at the time, but now I painted it and hung it and LOVE it!!! I am so happy I did it that we are thinking of doing another one! I am also planning on doing a henna belly, secretly that is why I wanted a summer baby, so I could "show off" my beautiful belly with henna! I think they are both fun and beautiful to do!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#4 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 06:27 PM

i am planning a blessingway in Feb. for my friend who is due in March 8th.

do you have any suggestions for patterns on her belly? sorry don't mean to hijack.. i just thought this might be a good place to ask.

Kat
#5 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 PM

I thought about doing a belly cast last time, but decided that I wasn't sure it was the kind of decor I'd want to share with everyone who came to our house. It felt too personal to me to put it on display, and there's no part of our home that visitors don't see. I didn't consider a henna belly until this time. Now I think I may do that and have DH take photos so I'll have something other than stretch marks to help me remember the belly that housed my little ones.

ETA: I'd *love* to see some links to patterns and ideas for henna bellies! I've never actually seen one, but I can imagine how beautiful they must be.
#6 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Do both. They are so much fun and something you'll treasure forever. I really liked my belly hennna. Having a summer babe will give me a chance to do it more than once.
#7 of 24 Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM

i have done a belly cast with each of my pregnancies. i do it after my blessingway, so it's around 38 weeks. i bought the ready to go gauze strips from the drugstore- i needed about 3 1/2 rolls, and used the wide kind (3"?). i cut them into strips and then my husband dipped the strips in a bowl of water and put them on me. make sure you put oil on first or it sticks to you! we always have done it collarbone to pubic hair. i left them each white, and they hang in their rooms. they love them, and it's so fun to see how they were all so different looking!

henna is super fun! i want to do that, too!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#8 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 12:24 AM

I am doing a belly cast this time :-)
#9 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 AM

I was very fortunate with my first pregnancy to have an artist approach me when I was 8 months pregnant. He offered to do a bronze cast of my collar to my upper thigh and I would get one in turn of him using me as a model for all the casts he wanted to do for the family planning clinics. So now I have this amazing bronze of my belly. I'll post a piccie/ link.
#10 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 AM

http://www.bnglifecasting.com/custom/adult/index.html

None of these are mine, but very similar to the bronze ones at the top. I know the guy who did mine was only charging $400 for this service.
#11 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

i have seen some nice designs for henna on www.hennacaravan.com
#12 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM

we pln on doing a belly cast since this is our last one . i think the henna bellies are beautiful i just don't think it would work for me since i have a tattoo on my belly.
#13 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM

I think I'm gonna do henna then have DP take some nice pictures of me outside and I'll frame some of the pictures for my office. I wanted to do a belly cast but I really have nowhere to put it after it's done.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 12:35 PM

I really want to do both this pregnancy!!!
#15 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm a henna artist and do preggo bellies. There's a great book on tapdancinglizard.com called "La Luna Belly" It's $15 for the ebook and is full of belly designs. There are some free designs you can download. You can also take basic mandala's and vines and create your own. Most of the time that is what I do for mom's. I also add glitter, gilding and jewels. It's tons of fun and beautiful.
I have a few pictures of bellies I did here: http://www.blurberrybuzz.com/henna%20pregnancy.htm
I'm bad at getting my site updated, so I have quite a few I need to upload.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#16 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM

I think the henna sounds beautiful. My personal code of modesty would prevent me baring my belly to anyone else, but I like red toenails even in winter, and I would probably feel similarly secretly erotic with a gorgeous belly design for DH to see.

Does henna conflict with or complement the old stretch marks?

I'm afraid I'm with Jilian on the belly-cast--it just seems like one more item to gather dust in my overly-cluttered home. I think they are cool, but not for a packrat like me. Photos were good enough for me the first time.

--willo
#17 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM

How long does it take for the henna to soak in? How long does it last? When is a good time to do it? I would hate to wait too long, henna my belly, and then have all of these designs on my deflated belly after baby is born because it hasn't faded yet. I haven't ever done a belly cast - partially because I really don't want to try and find a plce to stick it afterwards. I have been thinking about doing pregnancy photos this time around, though...and I could do some with henna.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#18 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Henna should be left on the skin for a minimum of 4 hours. I usually recommend 6-8 hours. I seal the design so that the mom can easily wear her shirt over it without damaging it. It will last a week to 10 days. There are many factors that can affect this. The amount of oils on the skin is one. If you have a well lotioned or cocoa buttered tummy, the henna will not soak in. Your skin needs to be clean and free of any excess oils. Heat is another factor. Keep the area warm and moist and you will have a darker longer lasting design.
Traditionally, women were henna'd in their 7th month. In the US, we henna at anytime. I henna'd one woman two days before she gave birth and she even liked the deflated version of the design. Many women in the US have henna done at a blessingway or shower. This is usually in the last two months of the pregnancy. It's also custom to have henna postpartum on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. This practice ensures that the mom will lay down that day while her henna dries and cures. It's also custom in many cultures to not have to do housework until the stains fade. Someone else is responsible for caring for the home, meals and other children.
Always make sure you are adorned with natural henna. Henna is NEVER black. The dye that makes henna black can scar and disfigure! Always know the ingredients of your henna artist's paste. A reputable henna artist will gladly disclose the ingredients. If you buy tubes of paste make sure they don't contain anything you may be allergic to. Often they have other dyes preservatives and extenders. Some henna mixes contain black walnut powder or extract. This makes a nice brown stain, but if you're allergic to walnuts, it's best to avoid it. If you want to play around with making your own, go to a health food store and pick up some red henna by Frontier. It's cheap, usually found with the bulk herbs and you can get an ok stain from it. Mix it with some lemon juice to the consistency of mashed potates and put it in a warm place about 80 degrees for 6 hours. This will cause the lawsone molecule to release the dye. Then mix it out with more lemon juice to the consistency of yogurt. Put it in a disposible pastery piping bag, snip the very tiniest end off and pipe like you would frosting. It takes some practice but over all is very fun!
DO NOT use henna hair coloring. This is not safe for the skin!!! It usually contains other dyes and addatives that can cause major skin irritation!
As for stretch marks and scars. Mine are fairly small and I didn't notice a huge difference in stain. If you have lots of stretch marks or if they are particularly wide, you will not get as good of a stain in that area. The scarred skin doesn't have the same consistency as unscarred skin. Your design could look a little mottled. I'd suggest having your artist use glitter paste or gilding paste over those areas as well to enhace them. Jewels placed just so add a lot too.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#19 of 24 Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

I played the "little sister" role at my best friend's very traditional HUGE Indian wedding and one of the best parts was getting henna'd...so I'd love to have a "henna belly"!

The tradition about not doing housework while the henna is still visible on your hands came up several times at the wedding...including the "secret" tradition of some new wives of having the henna patterns re-done on the sly to extend their "vacation".

We did two belly casts when I was pregnant with dd and it was great...we bought all the supplies at our local craft store for less than 10 dollars. And I have a really great picture of my "8month belly" next to my "9month belly" next to my 1 month old dd! It's hysterical to see the three of them lined up on the rug...and I really want to do that again this time. (top picture on this site... http://www.notfarfromthetree.com/earlylaia.html )

Also, this time I'm doing a "shadow book" of my belly. You know those old images of people where it's just the profile? Made by having the person sit next to a light and the artist traces the profile of the shadow? Well, DH will be tracing my "shadow belly" once a month so that we'll have a neat (non-photo) record of how my belly grew...and since it's just flat paper it will fit fine into a folder of "baby memories". Unlike the belly casts which are a bit too big for that sort of storage! Those currently sit on top of a bookcase in our guest room...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#20 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 AM

Ohh! I like the shadow belly idea. I'd like to belly cast, but like others, I'm too much of a packrat. I hate my boobs now too, so I don't want to see those big beasts stretching toward my navel cast in plaster. My kids love to watercolor and the shadow belly traced on watercolor paper and painted would be awesome!

#21 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Victoria, Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#22 of 24 Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Can anyone tell me where I might start looking for a henna artist in my area? I'm guessing that tattoo shops are not the right places to go...
#23 of 24 Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Is the eucalyptus oil they mix into the henna powder safe for pregnancy?

Can you substitute tto instead?
#24 of 24 Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Anyone interested in doing a belly cast go here...

www.proudbody.com

They also have a few good henna designs, I used a henna design to paint my belly cast, I love it and think it is absolutely beautiful!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page