Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   June 2007 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/383-june-2007/)
-   -   Swaying towards homebirth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/383-june-2007/607020-swaying-towards-homebirth.html)

workinmama 01-31-2007 04:55 PM

I've been doing a lot of reading about birth this time around (instead of the before and after as with ds). I had a bad experience in the hospital with ds, and a lot of medical intervention and both ds and myself reacted poorly to all the stuff they did to us.
Home birth seems to be the right direction to go, very peaceful and nothing forced upon us. Our midwife is all for it. I would love to hear some beautiful stories from momma's that have already experienced the amazing journey of a homebirth.

Marvelleaux 01-31-2007 06:07 PM

There is a homebirth section here under Birth and Beyond--you can get LOADS of great stories over there.

OTMomma 01-31-2007 06:13 PM

I also had a bad hospital birth with my first child, and I'm now planning a home birth for this preg. I love lurking the home birth forum, and reading the birth stories. From what I've read, a lot more moms are satisfied with their home birth experience, than they are with hospital birth experieneces.

mataji4 01-31-2007 06:17 PM

both my husband and i were born at home, so we didn't have to go through the "getting used to the idea" thing. i can't imagine choosing to have them anywhere else but at home.

my labors and births were SO different from each other. my last birth story is under the Birth Stories section at www.birthscene.com

i found the birth stories (and awesome photos!) at www.unassistedchildbirth.com to be incredibly inspiring (the birth stories are under Unassisted Childbirth)- they were more clearly about the experience of birth rather than details about what midwives were doing or how dilated they were.

happy homebirth daydreaming!

workinmama 02-01-2007 02:52 PM

Thanks so much I'll give it a look.

sally Z 02-01-2007 06:35 PM

i had a homebirth with my dd, i could not imagine birthing anywhere but home. It is where i feel safe and in control
Planning a UC this time

herbmama3-7 02-02-2007 02:13 PM

OHHH I cannot tell you what a great experience I had with my home birth, the entire pregnancy and postpartum care as well. : It was just beautiful!! The best part is being so well taken care of, I mean you really get pampered in your OWN home!! My midwife heated up the soup I MADE to eat directly after birth, and the assistent was taking pictures so we dh didn't have to, We all just cozied up in bed together and didn't have to leave to go "home", the care came to us! The birth itself was so nice, I was in every room in my house, Uhummm...nakid and in every position imaginable, this is not something you can really do and feel comfortable in a hospital setting. The best part is that if you take a long time birhting dr's don't change on you, or rather "speed" you along kwim. You make your own decisions, they are not made for you, as in, for me I didn't want to cut the cord until it stopped pulsing, (another topic in itself) I just fear that at the hospital they would automaticly do this without thought. Midwives ask your consent on EVERYTHING, not only that they explain to you exactly what it is, such as the vit. K shot. You really do have an active role right from the begining!! I can't speek more highly for it. There is nothing better than having your little baby placed on your chest and to your breast right away after it's birth, you don't have to wait for them to get wrapped and cleaned, it is all done right on top of you, so there is no anxiety as to seeing your babe.
Is that TMI or not enough I could go on and on!!
Home birth is beautiful!!!