UGH back problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having severe muscle spasms in my middle back. It's awful, any slight movement (like breathing deeply or reaching to grab something) sets it off and my back seizes up, I lose my breath, everything tenses. Laying down is ok until I have to shift around. I'm trying slow yoga (it's the cat part of cat/cow that kills me), just went to the chiro a few days ago, maybe a massage, but nothing seems to help. Anyone else have this? suggestions? pre-pregnancy the only thing that would help me with something like this was a serious muscle relaxant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Ohhh! I thought I might be the only one with back pain! I don't have spasms, but I do HURT in the afternoon and late evening. Last night I had to get up off the couch quickly to get the phone and I thought I was going to break in half-it hurt! I've been sleeping with a warm corn bag under my back and it helps but doesn't last all day. My MW also told me to try using a birth ball-it just came in the mail yesterday so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Any other suggestions would be very welcome right now. . .

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 PM

I dont know a sulution but I empathize!!!!

I think I have both the back issues you two are talking about... an always-there sort of ache and sever muscle gribbing on occasion. The spasm type one is absolutely paralysing but if I just dont move it will eventually subside on it's own... but there is no BREATHING, TALKING, MOVING , or TOUCHING that can be done when this happens to me. It happens when I'm not pregnant too and dp, for some reason still gets freaked out when it happens and keeps asking whats wrong, as though I can talk to him.

I have scholiosis (sp?) and this (i'm pretty sure) is DIRECTLY related to my problem. I know this because if and when I try to do crunches (not while preg) the laying flat on me back and the movements set it off. I was told to place a rolled towel on one side to help it. But while pregnant, I think sometimes I just get that fun little, "baby moved juuuuuuuust right" moments and it sets it off.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 PM

One word: CHIROPRACTOR! I was having such severe back pain that it was hard to walk and after a few visits to the chiro I'm back to normal. It turns out the right side of my pelvis was tilted upward. It took 3 or 4 adjustments to get it back to normal and make it stay that way. I've been feeling great ever since!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 AM

I have been standing in a hot shower for 15-20min first thing every morning. That helps a lot. I also stretch several times per day. And I use my ball instead of a chair. I've been attending a water aerobics class. I always feel really good when I get out of the pool. I wish I could make that feeling last a little longer!

I have two kinds of back pain. The new one is in my lower back & it feels like muscle pain. I'm pretty sure I overdid it the other day with some heavy lifting. I expect it to go away soon.

The old one I've had sporadically for a couple of weeks & continually for about a week. It's at the base of my spine about three fingers from the center, it's only on the left, and it's SHARP. Sitting on the floor kills me. Based on diagrams I've been looking at, it seems like the sciatic nerve, but the pain is completely localized. I don't have any pain or tingling or anything in my leg or foot.

If it is sciatic pain, can a chiro help with that?

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

ita - chiropractor has been great. I do think they can help with sciatica. It's certainly helped with my sacral pain. This back thing is a new deal though... FWIW my midwife said that some ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory is still ok at this point (pre-third tri). she also suggested acupuncture - just about the only thing I haven't done yet. has anyone triedi t?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 AM

i work hunched over a desk all day and that has been aggravating my back something awful, but i just invested in a decent chair and it was worth every penny - even the first day it made a huge difference!

also, i went and had a prenatal massage today and it was AWESOME... i would like more, please. 2 hrs a day everyday would be nice.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM

I've tried acupuncture. I think I recommend it embarassingly often.

Actually, I had a herniated disk in 2001. So incredibly painful! I tried acupuncture for the first time then, and I don't know that it helped. (But I was also doing chiro, homeopathy, herbs, modern western medicine... I don't know what actually fixed me at this point.) The thing is, that was a practitioner recommended by a relative who is supposed to be great, but it was a busy office in Chinatown (hard to get to/traffic) and just generally, the whole experience was stressful for me. I can get weird about certain situations--almost like a social anxiety.

But about a year ago, a friend told me about a wonderful acupuncturist very near here (no traffic!), a woman (more comfy for me), who'd cured my friend of an ear infection. I went to her when I had a sinus infection and I wanted to avoid antibiotics. I felt an immediate "click" with her--I love her!--and she cured my sinus infection to my doctor's and my satisfaction, and she reduced my PMS at the same session. Last summer, she needled me for improved fertility (I consider this a success), and during my pregnancy she's alleviated my morning sickness and my dizzy spells. I also feel an incredible sense of well-being during/after the treatments.

So, if I had a back problem again now, I would definitely go to this acupuncturist and see what she could do, even though I did not feel that the first experience with a different acupuncturist helped, because I think your openness with your practitioner will make a huge difference, and I just trust this woman so totally.

I hope this helps!

--willo

p.s. Rock_dr, I don't know where you are in the "west", but I know several people in various places in Oregon who regularly see acupuncturists. I'm sure I could get you names for that region of acupuncturists that people like.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks willo. I'm in utah, but maybe will post in that tribe to ask for recommendations. MW said there is actually a doctor at one of the local hospitals that does acupuncture.

User Tag List