* Weekly Thread Feb 26-March 4 * - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
I am in full research mode on the homebirth plans - 2 epidural births and one hospital but drug-free and home in less than 3hours for the the third birth. So, why not just stay home for #4 ... I actually have a fear of an unassisted birth (not my cup of tea) because this baby will probably come even faster and I will deny 'real' labour even longer this time around.
Hi AnnD,

That is interesting that you have had so many different birth experiences. I would love to hear more about why you chose to go drug free, and now want to be at home. This is my first and I'm having a hospital, drug free birth (that is the plan anyway!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 05:05 AM

Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Today I was hit with a bout of fatigue all of a sudden. Around 11:30 am, I was SOOO tired, after lunch, I put DS down for his nap an hour early and slept 2 hours myself. Baby Glooby must be doing something important.

--willo
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Oh what a day: I live in the mountains and we got hit with big snow storm overnight, I had to make it to town wich is a drive down a mountain canyon this morning with ds. I noticed my tire felt low, so pulled over to find a screw in it, UUUUggghhh!! There was no way I could drive it, luckily a friend noticed me on the side of the rode and gave ds and I a ride to town to my comitment, this was so wonderful, perfect timing and all. I was watching a little boy a year older than ds, (I trade childcare with a woman for a massage) the little devil was, well, a little devil today and I had just about had it with him after the 3 hours!! So I got a ride from his dad to the bus station to catch a bus home, no big deal ds LOVES to ride on the bus, EXCEPT the bus was 30 mins late, ds has his 3rd poop of the day and I have no extra diapers ( I used all of them already), on top of that he is suffering from a major bad rash because he had strawberries with the sitter the night before, (the only thing he is allergic to):. So needless to say he was a bit crabby because of that and tired as it was an hour past his usual nap time. So the bus finally shows up, I sit up front so I could hopefully use my pregnant belly and tired ds to persuade him to drop me off at my car so that I could drive it home (which was 2 mins away from where I left it). Well we were driving up the very icy canyon and the bus driver very sternly said to me that "your son needs to be seated at all times"!! Ok I understand that, it is a safety issue, so of course I complied. However ds is not willing to sit because of his diaper issue, and ladies if you have ever tried to make a 2 year old sit who is tired and in pain well you know your asking for trouble. Ds threw a fit, I knew that if I let him get out his cry a bit that he would soon realize that there was no compromise. (poor ds )So anyway not much into his cry the driver turns to me and very, very, very rudely says "you are going to to have to take him to the back as his screaming is hurting my head and I can't concentrate." This was no "I am sorry, but I need to be able to hear, would you mind going to the back until he calms down please?" This was a viciously rude way to address me. Not to mention if he were to have gotten in an accident while I was "waddling" to the back of the bus with ds we could have been VERY hurt. I was so mad and embarressed that when I got off I said to him "sir you are not the only one having a hard day today"! What is your name, I am going to file a formal complaint!" He said "go ahead and file a complaint, but I did it for all of our safety" And I said "then you needed to say that in a civil way!" and then stormed off the bus! I swear I never, ever, ever, talk back to people like that, but this guy messed with the wrong pregnant woman today!! I got home called dh and cried for 20 mins to him, and what a sweety he just listened to me. So thank you for reading if you made it this far, I just needed to share a bit of what my pregnancy hormones amplified into a mess for me.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM

herbmama
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM

Yoicks!

Big hugs (to you AND your little one) and hopes that you have a wonderful, peaceful, restful, restorative evening. Or at least a good night's sleep...

I hope you really do follow through and contact the bus company. I know the driver probably thought he was within his rights, but there are ways to address the situation that don't wind up with hurt feelings! At the least, the bus company should apologize. Oh, and sometimes a letter to the editor of a local paper is a great way to vent...and it can sometimes turn a real crud experience into a positive forum for discussion.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM

herbmama
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 AM

Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 AM

I got my first heartburn of this pregnancy yesterday. It is still curable by a couple of Tums, but I know where this is heading. Oh sigh!

Herbmama--so sorry for your miserable trip. I call/write to companies all the time. I've worked in customer service off and on since I was 13 years old in my family's business (almost 20 years of it now!) and so my expectations are reasonable (I'm VERY nice to CS workers) but strict (I want to see an EFFORT at competence and good manners.) Writing the letter might produce results, and it will definitely make you feel better. Be sure you address it to the VP of customer relations (or similar level)--never write/call the regular "customer service" number. They mostly ignore those.

When the freight delivery guy refused to use his dolly to lift an expensive ($1000!) appliance over the threshold into our basement entrance for me on Monday, I got hysterical. Luckily, it had stopped snowing, but everything was wet. He just didn't want to help, and I took it very personally, though he didn't actually have any obligation to deliver "inside the house".

Ah, hormones!

Be well everyone! And be mellow. I've had a tearful, sensitive week...

--willo
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM

Wow, it sounds like most of us are having a bad week. I hope the weekend is better for everyone.

I'm still hanging in here on bed rest for a while. Contractions have slowed down a lot and my cervix hasn't changed from it's soft/fingertip dilated/anterior position. My MW gave me a whole bunch of things to do to calm my uterus and I'm doing them all. I think they're working. And babe is still breech so that is a good thing - no big head applied to my cervix

We're all gonna have a great weekend, I can feel it!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your hugs to my miserable day! At times I thought maybe I was overreacting, but after thinking about it more and more, the driver was just plain RUDE!! He may have been having a rough day too, but that doesn't mean he has the right to take it out on a complete stranger and her son!! So I am not going to let it go, I will call the company and file a formal complaint, especially since making me get up and walk to the back was very unsafe, he is lucky he didn't crash during that, plus I was completely embarresed!! Thank you Willo for your tips, they will come in handy!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 PM

So in the wee hours of Tuesday morning I woke up with a horrible cramp in my left calf. I mean a full-on screaming OUCH of a muscle spasm. I massaged it away and got back to sleep but it is STILL sore today, three days later.

I'm getting plenty of water, I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement along with my prenatal, I stretch my legs...any other cramp cures out there? It's just my left leg too, which is a bit odd.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
So in the wee hours of Tuesday morning I woke up with a horrible cramp in my left calf. I mean a full-on screaming OUCH of a muscle spasm. I massaged it away and got back to sleep but it is STILL sore today, three days later.

I'm getting plenty of water, I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement along with my prenatal, I stretch my legs...any other cramp cures out there? It's just my left leg too, which is a bit odd.
Sounds like you are doing everything right--from what I understand it's usually dehydration that causes those--at least when you are NOT pregnant. But pregnant problems seem to break every mold out there. I know that if you flex your feet, that will make it go away instantly, but you may have known that already.

Sorry I don't have any other magic cures--just wanted to chime in for sympathy sake--I know those can be extremely uncomfortable!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I'm still hanging in here on bed rest for a while. Contractions have slowed down a lot and my cervix hasn't changed from it's soft/fingertip dilated/anterior position. My MW gave me a whole bunch of things to do to calm my uterus and I'm doing them all. I think they're working. And babe is still breech so that is a good thing - no big head applied to my cervix

We're all gonna have a great weekend, I can feel it!
Positive thinking goes a LONG way Jilian! So glad to hear things have calmed down for you too. I'm curious what your MW says to calm down uterus. I have an extremely "active" uterus (hardening/contraction/whatever) too.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I know that if you flex your feet, that will make it go away instantly,
If only that worked!

Pointing your toes will make a calf spasm sooooooo much worse it's hard to believe, but while flexing your foot WILL help the muscle relax it's not something that happens instantly...well, at least not for me! I never really had the leg cramps last time round, and I'm hoping they go away this time, but somehow I'm not betting on it.

Ugh.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 PM

I've always eaten bananas for leg cramps, and it works pretty well. It's got something to do with bananas being really high in potassium. I hope you don't have to go through that again!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve View Post
I'm curious what your MW says to calm down uterus. I have an extremely "active" uterus (hardening/contraction/whatever) too.
Cramp bark tincture, calcium/magnesium/zinc and Omega 3,6,9 supplements, extra vitamin c (up to 2,000 mg), warm baths, lots of water, resting, accupuncture, and when all else fails - a small glass of wine.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 PM

I wish I could say my week got better but it didn't. I ended up in the hospital again last night for severe kidney pain. I swear it was a kidney stone but they only found an infection. I had to stay overnight and most of today. I ended up with 6 shots of terb to stop contractions, a sedative, and some antibiotics. I'm so upset about all of the medicine I had to take while pregnant, I was trying really hard to avoid all meds this preg Babe is doing good and I'm feeling a little better. I just feel so weak and exhausted from being through all that.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Jillian -- sorry you're so sick, but glad the baby is okay. I understand about not wanting to take meds. I'm finishing up antibiotics for UTI which was SOO painful (and I was absolutely exhausted) I thought I was going into early labor luckily just an infection but had to clear it up with meds. Yours was obviously worse so I give you a LOT of credit for being able to stand all the pain. Hope you heal quickly...
Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 AM

jillian- i'm so sorry to hear that you're going through all of this . i wish there was something concrete i could do for you but i'm sending lots of healthy wishes and postive thoughts your way...hang in there, mama.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Pointing your toes will make a calf spasm sooooooo much worse it's hard to believe...
WOW... I didn't quite know how to explain this to anyone so I never bothered but I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!! With DD I as the QUEEN of nightly leg cramps!!!! To the point where DP was "trained" to (practicly in his sleep) jump up and massage my calf when I would cry out "CRAMP" and whack him in the side! It is the most horrendu, paralysing feeling!!!

Then the one or two I've had so far here have left me with that pain (oddley also my left leg) for (the first was a good two weeks) and the second was only a day or two...

I was told that it is very possible to "sprain" your muscle from an intense cramp but that if it doesn't get any better you need to see some one... ongoing pain can be the sign of a blood clot... but like I said the pain I had lasted at LEAST two weeks.

So here's the tricks! HEAT AND MASSAGE!!! Some one had mentioned heat packs out of rice and I with my last nasty "sprain" I put the heat on it a few times and it helped it go away alot faster.

Some one mentioned Bananas and they are dead on! It's a big potassium issue involved with the leg cramps!

I've read that doing regular calf stretches before going to bed can help...

But the other thing is that when they come on real suddenly (and you know they do), dont sit and think they will go away... massage (or have dh massage) as soon as it starts and keeping rubbing it out and for a minute or so after you think it's gone.... I've noticed that if I dont rub it enough when it's happening, thats when I get the "sprained muscle"

and what ever you do.... DONT TRY TO FLEX IT away WHILE it's happening!!!! You can only rub it away!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:17 AM

on another note...

We had our Kittens!!!!!!!!!!

We had two that made it and two that did not

She decided to have them in DD closet! Dp found them... they are sooo tiny and sweet looking... we have a little grey one and an alll white one... mama is allll black!

And, what is particularly cute, IMO, is that our Mama cat is a Manyx (These cats are born tail-less) We acctually have two Manyx cats, one has nothing there where the tail should be (called a rumpy) and our Mama cat has a little nub for a tail (called a stumpy) well the two kittens we have, the white has a big long tail and the grey one is stumpy just like Mama!!!! soooo cute to see this tiny little kitten with a tiny little stump of a tail! awww love them!

terrbily jelous that DP will get to have tiny little kittens to play with for the next 4 or 5 weeks! and watch them grow.... I will miss out... I may end up taking one of the kittens though!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
on another note...

We had our Kittens!!!!!!!!!!

We had two that made it and two that did not
Congrats on the new kitties, I'm sorry that two did not make it Kittens are so much fun, I remember a cat of mine had kittens when I was 11 and I had to much fun taking care of them. Kittens are so sweet

Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Moving day today... again

Today I am packing up my stuff and DexP will behelping out to rearrange the room at mymoms house and DD and I will start staying there tonight

: just trying to to keep strong over here
Old 03-04-2007, 02:26 PM

aww whitewax i know this is going to be a difficult adjustment for all of you but try to stay positive. there's a new baby on the horizon and you never know what the future will bring.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Moving day today... again

Today I am packing up my stuff and DexP will behelping out to rearrange the room at mymoms house and DD and I will start staying there tonight

: just trying to to keep strong over here
We're here for you mama. Maybe some time apart will be good right now. Just focus on yourself, your DD, and your growing baby. The rest will fall into place.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
WOW... I didn't quite know how to explain this to anyone so I never bothered but I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!! With DD I as the QUEEN of nightly leg cramps!!!! To the point where DP was "trained" to (practicly in his sleep) jump up and massage my calf when I would cry out "CRAMP" and whack him in the side! It is the most horrendu, paralysing feeling!!!

ROTFL

That is me and DH exactly ! I have been experiencing these also and found that if you flexy your foot down, like in a point, it DOES makes it worse. However, if you flex your foot up towards the ceiling as soon as you feel it comming on..it goes away completely !! Try this next time, it really works..completely gone..

The pain of a calf cramp is horendous and all I keep thinking is this is what labor must feel like, but 10X worse and in my abbs..a gigantic muscle spasm..GULP...
Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 PM

I just passed the MOTHER of all kidney stones today. It is about 2-3 times larger than my last kidney stone (2 yrs ago). I feel SO much better now. My MW is pretty confident that this is what was causing all of the contractions and that the contractions will now stop. I'm so relieved to have this over with, I'll be cutting back on my calcium now!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corri View Post
I've always eaten bananas for leg cramps, and it works pretty well. It's got something to do with bananas being really high in potassium. I hope you don't have to go through that again!
Yes--I have heard that potassium deficiency causes them too.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I wish I could say my week got better but it didn't. I ended up in the hospital again last night for severe kidney pain. I swear it was a kidney stone but they only found an infection. I had to stay overnight and most of today. I ended up with 6 shots of terb to stop contractions, a sedative, and some antibiotics. I'm so upset about all of the medicine I had to take while pregnant, I was trying really hard to avoid all meds this preg Babe is doing good and I'm feeling a little better. I just feel so weak and exhausted from being through all that.
Jeez...that is too bad. I wonder if your contractions from before are related to the kidney problem? Antibiotics are better than a pre-term baby anyday though, so dont' sweat it too much. Just keep your eyes on the prize!

User Tag List