names, again?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had planned on calling DD2 Sophia and were trying and trying to figure out a middle name. Then one evening I just sort of said "what about calling her Rowan instead?" and DH stopped cooking and said "That's it! That's her name. Sophia for the middle, but Rowan it is." It was pretty funny since we'd never thought about Rowan, it wasn't on any of our lists, and it just sort of "popped" into being.

And it really fits our family...a little unusual but not too far out there, short/simple to say and spell, associated with nature and trees, and with a "dusting" of pagan symbolism. And a Rowan tree in bloom is really lovely.

With dd1 the name took longer...I'd always wanted a daughter named Linnea and DH was okay but not in love with the name. So we started looking at other "L" names and came up with Lyra and Laia as finalists. And Laia is the one that stuck. It's a bit uncommon (people think it's Leia like the Star Wars character, or Leila, or Layla...so we often have to correct people, and that always makes me uncomfortable). And in certain circles naming your child Laia is sort of like naming your kid Frodo...Laia was the name of the main character in the first significant alternate reality game (associated with the movie AI) and I'm a designer in that media field, so when I go to conferences or conventions and people find out my dd's name is Laia...well, they don't believe me when I say my DH is the one who picked it off the list!

Names are so much fun though...I think it's one of the best parts of pregnancy actually.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#32 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 03:11 PM

is LYRA

Lee-ra
Lie-ra
or
lear-ah
#33 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
lear-ah
It's Welsh. Apparently DH has a great aunt in Ireland named Lyra, but I found it as a character name (the RiddleMaster of Hed books, read them as a kid so I don't know if they're still in print). Yes, I am a book junkie!

I still love the name but it's too close to Laia to use.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#34 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

I think it's very very pretty! I will suggest it to DexP if you dont mind!
#35 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 PM

It's all yours!

#36 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM

We're leaning towards Claire or Clare. I prefer the French spelling, and DH prefers the English. We'll be hyphenating the last name and have also been debating the order of the names (we each want our own last name to be first). My most recent proposal is whoever doesn't get the preferred last name order gets to pick which spelling of the first name to use. You'd think that negotiations would be easier than this, but it's been a challenge.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#37 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Last names are tricky! When Dh and I married we discussed name order and after literally months of discussion we picked an order (his name-my name). Then when we got the paperwork from the state we discovered there had been a "clerical error" and the official paperwork was all my name-his name! Since it would have been a royal hassle to change it we let it be...both of us come from families where surnames were changed by immigration officials, so we joke that this isn't the first time the state has "picked" our names.

#38 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 PM

I haven't really focused on it yet. Last time DH and I each made our lists and then went over them together... every week we eliminated a few names until we had our final contenders.

DH seems to like names from Lord of the Rings (!!) and I do not. That's as far as we've gotten this time.
#39 of 45 Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

in certain circles naming your child Laia is sort of like naming your kid Frodo..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
DH seems to like names from Lord of the Rings (!!) and I do not. That's as far as we've gotten this time.
this cracks me up! i am a big lord of the rings fan although most of the names are not my style i think some of them are great. my very good friend and her husband are having their 3rd and it's a boy and i suggested the name Theo which they both loved but then she wanted the full name to be Theoden and her dh said 'no way'. she's stilll holding out hope though.
#40 of 45 Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 AM

aww I love Theo!! lol

And Claire is also on my list but DexP was not budging on that one either and I didn't feel the need to push it as much as Imogene... lol
#41 of 45 Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 PM

If anyone else needs a girl name, here are our choices, I'm happy to share, since it looks like I won't be using them.
Anna
Lea
Julia
Liliana -this one is my favorite!

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#42 of 45 Old 03-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Ok, I've managed to at least come up with some that I like, but DH doesnt like anything i suggest, and of course, he doesnt have any names to throw out there!!

Graham, Cooper and Miles are currently making my boys list.

Raegan Summer is my top pick for a girl, and I love the name Sierra but dont like it with Summer for the middle (and I've always wanted to use the name Summer for a middle, it was my best friends middle and I love summertime!)

I love all the ideas from this thread, at least gets me thinking about this subject!!
#43 of 45 Old 03-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Landonsmom- At one point I got so frustrated with dh not liking my name ideas and not giving any that I told him we were making a list of names, and that I was going to put down 4 names, he could only cross off a name he didn't like if he added one he did like- and baby's name would come from the final list we had at birth. Just thought I'd share- he did come up with a name or 2 and suddenly liked some of the ones I did- LOL.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#44 of 45 Old 03-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Hey thats pretty good thinking!!!

lol I top DexP that if he didn't come up with a list I would just name the baby Imogene like I want to!!! He said he'd make a list!
#45 of 45 Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM

I've always loved names that have a "traditional" nickname but actually stand for something else...

Like DH has some old school friends named Thad and Ben. Which are short for Benedict and Thaddeus. And I know a Theo whose full name is Theoderic. And I went to school with a girl name "Mata" (not that that is a common nickname)...her full name was Immaculata.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings names (I'm in the "read the trilogy every year since I learned to read" group of Tolkien junkies....my brother and I actually learned elvish/Quenya as kids and used it as our "secret" language, and my tattoo is written in Quenya)...I always wanted a daughter named Eleanor after the flower and Sam's daughter, but somehow it just doesn't seem to work out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page