names, again?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone who was undecided before have names now?? We're decided, but I'm sort of a name junkie and I just love hearing everyone's choices...

Our's have changed some- Cedar Annan for a boy (Annan is Celtic "from the stream"), and Soleil Mirabella (though I love Soleil Genevieve, just going totally French with it, and Genevieve is what I always wish my name was short for- I'm really just a Jenny).

if bringing up names AGAIN is totally annoying, then just ignore me!!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 AM

we can NOT decide on something!!! even three or four somethings!!! terribly frustrating! I LOVE... I mean L-O-V-E the name Imogene... but DP doesn't like it... infact every one we mention it to kind of gives me a dirty look about it... but if anyone else loves it feel free! I will love your baby all the more! lol
#3 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
I LOVE... I mean L-O-V-E the name Imogene...
Oh I love it too. We considered it for my daughter, but it doesn't work well with our last name. But I LOVE it too.

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#4 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM

We come up with lists of possible names that we are drawn to and then wait. We never pick a name until baby is here.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#5 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM

we're pretty much set on karina/carina/corina rose...
obviously, the spelling is still up in the air but since DP and i have such different taste in names, as soon as we hear something we both like, that's it.
#6 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
tls

We're not telling our family or friends our name choices yet because I can't stand people's reaction, either good or bad. If we have a girl she will be Kiara Elizabeth Anne. For a boy we picked the 1st name Alexander. We're up in the air for middle names but we're throwing around the idea of Rodan. I know it sounds a little weird but it's a combination of the baby's uncles' names (Rob and Dan), a godzilla monster whom our son LOVES, and spelled differently but pronounced the same as the artist Rodin and I'm an art history major and love his work. With all the significants of the name we may just use it!
#7 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Is it awful that I've barely given it a second thought? I have made some lists, probably 2 months ago, and I kinda have a girls one, but nothing concrete. I keeep thinking sometyhing will pop out at me during everyday life!! DH and I have probably talked about this all of two times this whole pregnancy!!

I think not finding out the sex is really stumping me!!

Anyone else feel this way?
#8 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 PM

We're not telling anyone "in real life" since we hate "family feedback" on our choices and feel that there is no need for family/friends to know our little one's name till that little one is here in arms. But...

We're going with Rowan Sophia LastName-LastName. If by some fluke of fate the doctor was wrong and it's a boy, we'll simply shift the first name to the traditional Irish boy's name of Roan Salvatore LastName-LastName (more or less the same pronounciation of the first name) and go from there!

We wanted to use Sophia to honor my mom's great aunt Josephine...a real wild and crazy flapper lady who'se memory rivals the exploits of Aunti Mame. All sorts of bath tub gin, bootlegger, gangland adventure, high society silliness associted with Josephine and while the name was a little too "old" and "long" for us, we though Sophia a nice compromise.

We were thinking of Sophia as the first name but...we wanted something a little more original and more nature-based. And Rowan seemed like the perfect fit. Baby "Ro-ro" even wiggles and kicks when we sing row row row the boat so she seems to approve!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 04:21 PM

I love all the names!!

I think we've decided on Greta. Not sure for middle, either Una or Rains.

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#10 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMom View Post

no..... infact... I feel like for some reason it's harder now!!! Maybe thats just me though. I feel like, because I KNOW it's a girl I want to call her something... not just "the baby" and it's frustrating me all the more!

You know what I've resorted to doing? I look at movie and tv show credits in search of a name!!!! No joking.... It's where we got our daughters name!
#11 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM

We don't share our name ideas with anyone, but I can tell you I'm being very different about this baby than I was with DS.

We don't pick the name until we've met the baby, but I had gone through a zillion books and hundreds of names to get the two short lists (boy and girl) for DS's birth. I think we had 6-10 names on each list by the time we had the baby.

This time, I had a dream that very clearly told me this child's name. That was back in December. DH thinks the name is fine, and I think he could tell how dead set I was that this was IT for the name. (Usually we have very different ideas about names, but somehow he was cool with this one. I think because he's so desperate that this one will be a girl, and he's not as worried about teasing for a girl with a weird name like I'd choose as he was about a boy being teased.)

It's really funny, because, with all that name research, I never thought of this name before. It is actually a diminutive (nickname), so I have a few choices for the "full" first name, and there are variations appropriate for boy or girl.

I think about the middle names still sometimes, but I'm just so casual about it this time around. VERY different than I was with my first. I really love names, and I feel almost let down that one child is named and I probably won't get to name anyone else after this baby.

wistfully,
--willo
#12 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, I really like all of your choices...Rowan, Greta, Karina, Kiara (is this pron. like Kiera or is it like key-ara?). What a nice little cohort of names we have!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#13 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMom View Post
Is it awful that I've barely given it a second thought? I have made some lists, probably 2 months ago, and I kinda have a girls one, but nothing concrete. I keeep thinking sometyhing will pop out at me during everyday life!! DH and I have probably talked about this all of two times this whole pregnancy!!

Me! 100%!
#14 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
tls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
Aw, I really like all of your choices...Rowan, Greta, Karina, Kiara (is this pron. like Kiera or is it like key-ara?). What a nice little cohort of names we have!
Jenny, we'll pronounce it like key-ara maybe Kia for a nickname but I don't want her to be associated with the car so not sure about that yet .
#15 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM

#16 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM

i'm new around here but am really excited about the name we've chosen - so decided to jump right in.

it's our first baby and we found out it's a boy. We actually had names picked out for both sexes but we're going with Alejandro David de los angeles.

My dp's first language is spanish so Alejandro is pronouced AleHandro. "de los angeles" is a common middle name in Nicaragua (where dp is from) that means "from the angels". Although it's used mostly for girls, but we decided we like it so much we'll use it for a boy. Names in Nicaragua are really epic for some reason and often people have 4 or 5 names (not counting their last names).

the reason I'm so excited about this name is that it honours both of our baby's grandfathers (something we both feel strongly about). David is my father's name and Alejandro is the name dp's father used as a code name during the Nicaraguan revolution. Dp is hoping for a revolutionary baby.
#17 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 AM

We really don't have many. The ones we're coming up with over and over are Jack and William (Will) because they are both family names. I'm also sort of liking Hayes lately, but DH doesn't.
#18 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 AM

the whole baby names thing is a joke in our house. with our first DD, we knew she was a girl from 20 weeks and still couldn't agree on a girls name....she was "baby nameless" for 9 days after she was born before we decided on the name Quinlin Willow Lynda. Baby #2 we were sure was also a girl and yet again we could not agree on a name- she was "baby nameless2" for 6 days before we agreed on Keira Sasha Catherine. All this time we had a boys name picked out.......

So now we're expecting our next baby #3 for DH, #4 for me, and we're having a BOY! Yipee! our original names we've been saving are Duncan and Logan....but we're definitely leaning towards Logan now- as a matter of fact, Nick told me last night that he's been telling everyone at work that we're nameing the baby Logan forsure!!! I joked that we'll find out that the U/S will be wrong and we'll have another girl.....who we'll name Logan anyway!!!
#19 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM

We've just narrowed the list we had. For now, the picks are Rowan Avery for a girl and Emmett Judson for a boy.

My only qualms are that Rowan Avery is a fairly strong name, and not terribly feminine, which would be fine all around if DD's name weren't Annalise Katja. I worry (very slightly) that the girls would feel that our choice of names reflected some belief about gender roles for them - which it certainly doesn't. We just really liked those names!

Emmett was our boy pick with our last pregnancy as well. We strongly considered Matthias (ma-tee-us) for a boy this time, and I do love it even a little more than Emmett, but I absolutely *hate* Matt with our last name. So I'd be really bummed if he ever chose to use that nickname. For now we're planning to avoid it for that reason, but we may sway back in that direction over the next three months.
#20 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Hey Sara, I just realized we're pretty close to each other...

My friend recently named his Daughter Rhyan Avery.... I think Rowan is pretty darn feminine IMO, but maybe I'm just thinking that way in comparison to Rhyan Avery.

Ladies.... can some one please name my baby???? I can't get Imogene out of my head and DexP will not budge on it! Infact.... he doesn't like it soooooo much he now refers to the babe as "Asha" (the name DD dubbed the baby) I like Asha and all but I still just *feel* Imogene.... KWIM????

How do I get this name out of my head and stop using it... I just hear is on the "up and up" I was thinking I will be bummed when my daughter "Asha" (or whatever she ends up) goes to school with an Imogene... lol I'll probably be over it by then, but it keeps popping into my head!

I feel really bad because I think this name so much it is becoming *her* name in my head... a name, with a whole person and personality attached to it... part of me still thinks maybe he'll change his mind on it... Dont know what to do...
#21 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Get him drunk and make him sign an agreement, WW? I know how it is to get fixated on a name. We don't know th sex yet, but we will in NINE DAYS! (Can you tell I'm a wee bit excited about the ultrasound?)

We're going with old family names for our baby. The name in brackets is the hebrew name he/she will have, for use in synagogue.

Boy: Alexander David (Zalman) - Alexander is an English varient for Zalman, who was my great-grandfather, and David is an old famiyl name in DH's family - there's been either a David or a Richard or both in every generation for about six hundred years.

Girl: Jennifer Elizabeth (Elisheva) - Jennifer is DH's favourite girls' name, and coincidentally enough, the name of one of my great-grandmothers! Elizabeth is a traditional family name on DH's side; his sister and neice have 'Elizabeth' for middles as well. Elisheva is the original Hebrew for Elizabeth.

I can't wait to find out if we have an Alex or a Jen!
#22 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
I can't get Imogene out of my head and DexP will not budge on it!
No idea about the "legality" of it, and it certainly doesn't seem very fair, but, in the hospital I used in 2003 at least, the official person who took the birth certificate information talked to me and me alone. I filled out the birth certificate information form. DH wasn't even in the hospital when that conversation took place (he'd gone to work for a few hours.)

I remember, because I had this sudden fear that I'd misspelled DS's name. (It's a very common Biblical name, and it would've been REALLY moronic to misspell it, but I was SEIZED with terror that I had done so.)

I expect that, when the parents aren't married, the man has even less likelihood of being consulted.

I'm sounding awfully wicked even suggesting this, but it did cross my mind when I read your post!

Perhaps this can be a negotiating chip for getting your exP to commit in writing to a reasonable support settlement right away... (Am I really evil for thinking this way?)

--willo
#23 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM

WhiteWax- I know at my hospital I was the one who had to fill out and sign all the "baby forms". (Willo- I also had the "Oh My Gods...did I misspell the name?!?!" moment as the nurse walked out with the paperwork!) Maybe use Imogene as the middle name? Or have two middle names? It can get a little long, but I have a first name, two middle names, and a hyphenated last name (but go by a nickname totally unrelated to any of them!) so I know it can be done!

Saratchka- We chose Rowan for our dd (and Roan if the u/s was wrong and a little boy pops into our family in June) and I think it's a very feminine name! Although Roan (and the more traditional spelling of Rúadhán) is a boy's name and Rowan can be either...for some reason it always felt more like a "girl name" to me. Though that could be because the first place I really connected to the name was in the science fiction book "The Rowan" (I read it as a teen, it's by Anne McCaffery) and although the main character is very strong, she's also pretty feminine! I like the idea of my dd one day reading the book... There's also some neat info about the name online at http://www.medievalscotland.org/prob...es/rowan.shtml but you may have seen it already.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#24 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
No idea about the "legality" of it, and it certainly doesn't seem very fair, but, in the hospital I used in 2003 at least, the official person who took the birth certificate information talked to me and me alone. I filled out the birth certificate information form. DH wasn't even in the hospital when that conversation took place (he'd gone to work for a few hours.)
I expect that, when the parents aren't married, the man has even less likelihood of being consulted.

I'm sounding awfully wicked even suggesting this, but it did cross my mind when I read your post!

Perhaps this can be a negotiating chip for getting your exP to commit in writing to a reasonable support settlement right away... (Am I really evil for thinking this way?)
Willo, I thought all the same things. So if you're evil, so am I!

WhiteWax, it's your decision. You'll be the one doing the bulk of the parenting, I think you get dibs on naming. JMO, of course, but that's how I see it.

As to Rowan being feminine, it's always felt fairly feminine to me as well, though in a very different way from Annalise. But I know that it's more often a masculine name, at least in Britain, and I can't help thinking that the only famous Rowan I know of is Rowan Atkinson (of Mr. Bean and Blackadder). When I looked it up in the baby name books/websites it was almost always in the boy section, so I wonder if more people think of it as masculine. Again, not that it really matters, I do love the name!
#25 of 45 Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM

A couple of years ago I liked the name Rowan for a boy (even though I had read the McCaffey book as a teen)- but I'm hearing it more and more for girls- so its out for us.

It looks like this little boy will be named Ian. Middle name is something we are thinking about, and probably won't decide for sure until he arrives- but most likely some sort of family name. If we do he's first name- Richard, his initials will be IRS- is that bad? I like that Ian is a short name, dd is named Mya, and we love the 3 letter thing- I also like that it doesn't sound like a nickname for something else, unlike a lot of short boy names. I had really wanted to have a list and decide after the birth, but dh and I can't agree on any other options, so Ian is the entire list for now. I've gone ahead and told people too, which I said I wouldn't do. Though I mention its not for sure yet.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#26 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 AM

DH is impossible, he says No to EVERY single name i suggest but has no ideas of his own. he says we have to wait until the baby is born adn then see, but we did this with dd and 2 weks later she still did not have a name and he had no ideas after the birth either.

I LOVE Noah but dh is very against it.

DD has names the baby Leetcho so i told dh i will name the baby Leetcho if he does not come up with soemthing

WW I totally know how you feel, i keep thinking of the baby as Noah and will be so sad if he can't have the name i am bonding with
#27 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 AM

#28 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 AM

What about William, and nicknamed Liam? Maybe he'll go for that?
#29 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM

#30 of 45 Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
If we do he's first name- Richard, his initials will be IRS- is that bad?
maybe he'll be rich!!! I think alot about initials too.

And, I'll admit it ladies... It crossed my mind too about naming her Imogene anyway... infact, as I was packing up my stuff I thought, (spitefully) "well good! Now I can name her Imogene!!!" but I can't really.... Wish I could, but I just can't do that to him or her.

Oddley enough I had him fill out the paper work for DD and we had given her two middle names...Ellya Diana Louise, and he Hyphanated them!!! I didn't notice till we got the birth certificate and I was ticked! not sure why... it just bothered me for some reason! who has a hyphanated MIDDLE name???

Yeah, alot of people have mentioned to just use Imogene as a middle name but some how it's just not the same you know? If you're not calling her by her middle name... I dunno... some times in "Stern talks" to my DD I use ONE of her middle names and one of her middle name initials! lol I say ELLYA D. LOUISE!!!

Oh... and I know it's not the best association, but first "charcter" that comes to mind when I think of Rowan is the little girl in "The Wicker man" I also *love* the name... it is on the list... it's just below imogene

ALSO... obviously it's not working for me but some times if you say a certain name often enough your DH will change his feelings on it... but you have to say it with a catchy nickname or with your last name to get him to like it! lol... it worked twice for me! (on boy names, go figure) and thats why I thought it would work with Imogene! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page