Fundal height??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a mw appt yesterday. My mw checked my fundal height and I am almost 3 weeks larger than where I should be. Anyone ever have this???? My mw doesn't seem concerned about it but of course I am just curious. Does this mean a big baby??? My dates are right and I know even down to the date of conception.... hmmmmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM

Are you having TWINS?? :

Isn't there normally a range of acceptable fundal heights? Like my mw said that 18-20 weeks should be about at your belly button...

Seems pretty much like a guesstimation. I wouldn't be too overly concerned unless you on consistently WAY over on your fundal height.
#3 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM

I think it's pretty general...what they're really looking for is a constant/even/gradual increase (instead of a fundal height that bounces up suddenly, or which doesn't change between visits).

I think the nurse at my last visit (the first one where they measured) said I was "maybe" a cm ahead, but that it didn't mean anything since I'd already had a babe and that can "throw off" the first couple of measurements. So maybe since you're not a first time mama that is part of it?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 PM

My fundal height has been off this entire time. I don't think it means much, personally. But I did get freaked out when it was like 5 cm ahead earlier on. I have no idea where we're at now since it's well past my navel. I go on Tuesday to my midwife so I guess we'll find out then.
#5 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have been off ever since my fundal heights have been measured. I know we are not having twins. I am just freaked out that this can be a big babe when it comes time for birth
#6 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 PM

At my last prenatal appt, my mw said i was measuring 2 cm ahead. She said this is normal and nothing to worry about!
#7 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 PM

dont know about fundal height but I know at the ultrsound my babe measured at a few weeks behind the 20 that I was and she mentioned that size can range with in a few weeks plus or minus and not throw off a due date or be anything to worry about.
#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 PM

Measurements can be off +/- 3 cm so I wouldn't worry. My MW said that it is just a guide. It can be off because of the position of the baby, who is taking the measurement, etc. She said she had one client who was progressing normally then jump 6 cm in a month and it turned out she was having twins. I wouldn't worry.
#9 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 AM

At my last appointment, I measured three weeks behind - 20 wks when I am actually 23 wks. I did that with my last pregnancy as well - 3 wks behind at 39 wks and had a 8lb baby. It is just a guide. I think it also depends on your body build - I am really long waisted with wide hips (perfect for babies I was told when I was 14 yrs old : ).
#10 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM

I think at the last appt mine was 1.5 cm ahead or so. Also, my uterus is heart shaped, so I think it is hard to measure it because the top caves in while the sides are higher.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#11 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 09:11 AM

My m/w told me these measurements are easily +/- 3 weeks (3 cm.)

Also, I was told that if you have a little bit of belly fat, or 'extra' around the waist (like I do!), that can through off the measurements sometimes. Also, like a pp said, baby's position has a lot to do with it, too. I've been measured several times, and I've ranged from -2 weeks to +3 weeks, or right on schedule, every time.
#12 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't worry. Every woman grows differently. It is common to be measuring large then to not grow so much the next month and measure more accurately or even keep measuring large all along. But if you keep measuring larger and larger at each appointment then it might be worth checking out. But I wouldn't worry unless you were measuring at least 7 cm more or less than "where you should be".

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#13 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendimarie View Post
Measurements can be off +/- 3 cm so I wouldn't worry. My MW said that it is just a guide. It can be off because of the position of the baby, who is taking the measurement, etc. She said she had one client who was progressing normally then jump 6 cm in a month and it turned out she was having twins. I wouldn't worry.
My MW also said +/- 3 cm... I would not worry, trust your body/baby, it will grow as needed..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page