Mothering Forum banner

stress

381 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  willoLevin 
#1 ·
so this week has been bad bad bad for me because last year i had this problem with my eye that i had to go to the ER for one weekend. i am from canada and had travel medical, and so off we went and they did this and that and voila, a bill for $6000. ouch! ultimately the eye was fine btw, but when i submitted the bills to the insurance co, they said my policy was no good and refused to pay.

ouch!! ouch ouch!

so i have sent the hospital a few payments, but this last week they sent it to collections. and THIS has kept me up nights worrying.

$6000 is not the end of the world, but it isn't exactly something dh and i can easily scrape together! they aren't interested in a monthly payment plan either, it is all now, or they go after my bank account and everything i own (which amounts to a hill of beans).

anyway i didn't want to tell my dad because i didn't want him to think i was asking him for money (he has been so great with this baby coming and everything), but i did want his advice about it - so i have been weighing how to broach it with him. finally i mentioned it to him and the first thing he did was drop a cheque in the mail so i wouldn't worry.

greatest dad in the world. and all i can do is cry because he is being so great.

sorry, i know it isnt' super pregnancy related, but i have been SO stressed about this, and then knowing how stressed i am and stressing more because i worry about how the stress affects the baby etc..

greatest dad in the world.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is what dads are for. Not to pay for everything, but to do everything they can to make us feel better. Over the weekend my dad drove 30 miles to get me a hamburger with avocado and teriyaki sauce. That's what dads are for. Aren't we lucky?

#5 ·
Aawwww ... that's great of him to do! Sorry for your stress, though, money issues have definitely kept me up in the past
The hospital probably didn't trust you because of your Canadian address - they probably thought you might try to dodge the fees
:

#7 ·
GenomicsGirl i am sure you are right - and don't imagine for a second that dodging the fees didn't occur to me once or twice! but i am such a goodie goodie i couldn't take the guilt and worry of that.

but it is SUCH a relief and i had a better sleep last night than i have all week.

hurrah!

thanks dad!

#8 ·
I'll bet your dad is really enjoying being your hero, too. Men so often find it easier to put their emotions (love for you) into actions (helping you with that nasty bill.) In some ways, I think women can forget to appreciate the EMOTION that a man puts into something like that. Sometimes, we forget to take it from a man's point of view and appreciate the magnitude of feelings in his acts, and what they mean and why they matter.

Have you sent him a mushy thank you card or something? In my family, we tend to do silly/funny cards for father's day and stuff, but I found a really nice card full of serious sentiment for my dad last year. I could tell that it really made him feel good, even though I felt a little embarrassed giving it to him, because it went a bit outside my comfort zone...

--willo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.