Weekly Thread April 2 - 8 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
...ok here's my big dilemma: what do i want to WEAR for birthing? (serious consideration i know...) ...what are you going to wear hospital birthers????

I'm not planning a hospital birth but I think we should all wear capes with the MDC logo printed on them!
#62 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 03:32 PM

I'll probably bring a brinsi skirt and sports bra for the hospital birth...last time I was in just a sports bra for most of it though (I'm not very body shy, so as soon as we arrived I stripped to my bra and stayed that way till after DD arrived...I did wear a gown for a while pp since I had a c/s and the gown was just soooooo comfy and easy to nurse in).

In terms of packing a bag...I was a typical first time mama last time and had the whole thing packed and unpacked and packed a dozen times. But I played it cool and said "oh yeah, we should remember to grab X Y Z on our way out the door too". Of course, we didn't grab any of those things (including a tape player and birth cds) soooooooo....

This time I'll pack later but I'll pack a heck of a lot more completely I think!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#63 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

For my first, I wore a much-oversized (XXXL) Lands' End swimsuit cover-up in bright orange. I bought it on sale in the fall, so it was cheap ($9.99?). It hits me at about knee length, so plenty of coverage for moving around, but is loose enough that it easily hitches up to allow access for birthing. It has big enough armholes and a deep enough v-neck that I can nurse through any of those three openings. It is 100% cotton (and loose) so it didn't feel hot. I know there was at least some blood on it, but there are no stains. I wore this thing ALL THE TIME as a nursing nightgown, too.

If I get my water birth this time, I figure I'll probably wear a cotton criss-cross front nursing/sleep bra (so we can nurse in it.) I'd love a brinsi skirt for moving around, but can't really justify buying a labor skirt for what will probably be my last childbirth... I've wondered if I can improvise such a thing with a big scarf or maybe find a cheap, elastic-waist cotton skirt.

If I can't have a water birth in the hospital (since this is a change of plans, I haven't got all the info yet--they have tubs, but maybe only for labor?), I'll wear my old orange gown again.

I might splurge on a new pair of nursing pj's to wear the next day, though. At least I know I'll get lots of use out of those.

--willo
#64 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm probably gonna start out in a nursing gown, I have a big dress-type one from motherhood that has a robe that goes with it. But last time I ended up naked, I got so hot during transition and any clothes on my body bothered me. That is very unlike me because I'm a modest person.

I'm hoping to try a waterbirth so I have a bikini that I might wear or a gigantic maternity bathing suit. But I'll probably end up naked again.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#65 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 06:30 PM

I think I'm still in denial about going to the hospital. I always just envisioned wearing whatever I happened to have on that day and stripping when it got hot or uncomfortable which would probably be pretty early on for me. I like being naked better than dressed.

The hospital scenario still baffles me a bit. I read somewhere that one should wear something that opens easily in the front. The implication was that med staff would need to access your body--not that it would make nursing easier. My immediate reaction was, "what? they're going to touch me at the hospital?!!!" ...definitely still in denial.

One thing I know I'll bring is the really gnarly and worn-out fleece button shirt that I wear while working in my studio in winter. It should be warm if the air conditioning is too much, but more importantly it continues to figure in all of my birthing dreams: I (somehow magically) birth both twins before reaching the hospital (in all manner of places) and as the dream ends I'm walking while nursing both twins and wearing that shirt with the babes and their still-attached placentas wrapped up in it. The dream doesn't have me wearing pants.
#66 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM

I asked my midwife about what to wear. My MIL will be there for the birth and I would like to have something covering me up while I am laboring. With #1 I was naked half the time. She said the easiest thing for her to work around is a twin sized sheet just draped over you. That way you are naked, covered and have easy access for her. She also suggested a big long tanktop. I will probably bring it all, but probably end up naked again.
#67 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM

I'm haveing a home birth, but, I will most deffinately be naked: I was with ds and it didn't bother me one bit, I like the fact that the baby has instant skin contact, and honestly I just didn't notice. However, I really like the idea of getting cute PJs for after the birth and the next few days after, I think I will definately be looking at gap.com or something. I remember feeling kinda ugly afterword and cute pjs would be really nice to cozy up in!

I am also not so worried about getting ready, I think it is because it's my second, but I just think as long as I have my baby bundle and a bundle of diapers I am good. which is probobly very lazy thinking on my part, I just don't have the energy with a toddler too. The baby will come no matter what, I pray I can get my act together and do the very leaste of prepping too!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#68 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, the frenzied preparations of all the first-timers has prompted me to wash the few items I bought new for this baby. Today, I washed the three organic cotton undershirts and the one-piece coming home outfit that I bought this winter. I'm going to assume Mom will be here in time to get out and get ready all the other clothes. It'll be warm, right? Baby won't need any pants!

I've got a little list started of the stuff that I want to get by certain dates. A lot of it is functional--the carseat, plus just-in-case prescriptions for domperidone and All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO)...

--willo
#69 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM

AAAAKKK! Willo, no don't do it, stay with us unprepared ones, I was not feeling that guilty, UUUGGHHH! now I am feeling unprepared

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#70 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM

well i have had my eye on the gap polka dot nursing jammies. and a couple of days ago i checked and they would have been >$50 with shipping or something. and then i checked today and they went on sale. so i ordered them!! woo woo.

i think a nightgown thing would probably be better for laboring (the big orange one sounds great!). maybe i'll go to target and get something big and flowy. and i was thinking i'll take a bikini top for laboring in the tub. i plan to stay home as long as possible so i don't know if i'll even make it to the tub. i have a couple of friends who may be visiting who i do not want to be around buck naked. at least they were there while i was laboring last time. i know from the pictures.... i was really not tuned in to who was there when. and hopefully labor will be shorter this time.

last time i wore the hospital gowns the whole time i was there. after birthing they gave me a nursing one with boob holes. the funniest were the disposable mesh panties. i soooo didn't care what i was wearing at all. i think i was feeling kind of ugly too : or else i was just reveling in my own funk. i remember not wanting to shower and people came to visit and i wasn't looking so great.

i haven't washed any of the new items i have bought for baby. actually i have only bought ONE outfit (my what self restraint!). oh yeah and a tshirt. but i received several gifts. i reallllly think i should wait until may 1 to do any of it. and then if anything happens early i will be doing laundry while in labor
#71 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Hmmm - you are all scaring me. I am 30 weeks on Saturday (my day to turn it forward one week). I am still aiming for Sunday June 17 (Father's Day) which is one day past my due date. The thought of 37 weeks full term (I think that would be May 25 or something like that) really really freaked me out - I somehow don't consider 37 weeks full term since I was over due with two. Regardless - nothing has been bought for this baby and all is in the basement in a big old bin. I will likely pull all that out in mid May.

What to wear - gosh, I like the hospital gowns, coverage but no restrictions. Since I am aiming for a homebirth (kind of), I won't have that luxury. Also since I want my little ones with me, naked doesn't quite seem too appropriate either (not fully clothed but not stark either). Nevertheless, with the last one, it only got really uncomfortable about 1 hour before the babe was born so I should be fairly functional for most of it (I was making beds at home at 3pm and the babe was born at the hospital at 4:15pm) - so maybe a simple long shirt (husband t-shirt perhaps).

Packing - will think about that at 35 weeks!
#72 of 92 Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM

The "what to wear" issue really has me thinking. Lately all I've been wearing are mens crisp cotton pajamas size XL. I just roll up the sleeves, hike up the pants, and away I go! They are SUPER comfy and cheap ($15 bucks at target, $10 at Wal-Mart). The shirts have buttons and the pants have snaps--adjustable even! Best of all, they come in nice cool colors that I find relaxing. I'll probably wear these during labor. These are what I'll pack should I find myself needing a hospital transfer.
#73 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 AM

*sneaks in here*
Better late than never huh?

Add me to the OMG this baby could come in 8 weeks-club. I feel like I have sooooooo much to do, mostly because I don't seem to get anything done though, if you look at it objectively, it isn't that bad. I keep stalling on the same projects over and over and over. I must just pick up one project and finish it, not work at 7 things at a time.

I had my "30 week" (at 29 weeks) u/s yesterday. It was so much fun, the images were so clear and crisp! Baby was yawning and sucking his hands . So cute. More importantly, he was right on track. I wanted to scream: BOOYA EVERYONE! See? I'm not starving my baby, he's not not growing well, I'm just HIDING it well. I'd gotten so many annoying comments over the last few weeks. What people stick their noses into, it's unbelievable. And the thing that sucks most, was that while *I* knew things were fine, people make you start doubting yourself. My appointment was fine this morning too. My OB is mostly amused about the lack of weight gain.

Ok, too much rambling about myself again.
What to wear during birthing? Man, I hadn't even thought about that yet! I'll have to do some thinking now (yay, another thing to add to the list : )

I should get off of here and get some stuff done. Rambling on here is not going to make that list any shorter
#74 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Okay, so everyone's washing things, which gets me thinking.

If I wash all of the baby's things NOW, won't they be . . . not exactly dirty, but, you know, dusty and sort of stale by the time I give birth??

I guess I can always do it now, and then check them closer to my due-date and rewash, if necessary . . . . .

I have no idea what I'll wear to labor. Probably an old (thin!) pair of cotton PJ pants that still fit and a sports bra. One of DH's old T-shirts overtop if I get cold . . . . I'm sure I'll end up mostly naked, though.

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#75 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineIndy View Post
If I wash all of the baby's things NOW, won't they be . . . not exactly dirty, but, you know, dusty and sort of stale by the time I give birth??

I guess I can always do it now, and then check them closer to my due-date and rewash, if necessary . . . . .
If this is your FIRST baby, you'll end up re-washing them, because they will be too dirty for your precious new baby.

I think, for 2nd+ kids, they will be perfectly fine.

Honestly, don't you have stuff in your closet or dresser that sits for more than two months before you wear it? I certainly do! And how often do you feel the need to wash it before YOU wear it?

Might also depend how often you take out the little t-shirts, hold them, cuddle them up to your face, re-fold them, sniff them as if they might already hold scent cues of what your baby will smell like, shake them out and fold them yet again more perfectly... Oh yeah, I had a little bit of time for doing that last time!

--willo
#76 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I have to admit I loooooved those hospital mesh undies! They were just so, well...comfy! I took a whole box home with me and seriously I wore them every day for the first week. I kow it sounds positively wacko, but I've actually had other mamas confess to the same thing. And one partner even thought they were "beyond sexy" so...if you're hospital birthing it may be a hidden perk. And you can buy them online for homebirth use as well.

I'm sort of looking forward to having the brinsi this time (since I'd like to walk around the hospital gardens if it's during the day) but it's actually a gift...I wouldn't buy it just for this birth since money is a bit tight. I had thought I'd wear a sort of fuzzy short bathrobe thing last time but really the sports bra and nothing else was fine...the only time I had to "cover up a little" (wrapped in a blanket actually) was when I walked down the hall from the tub room to a birthing suite when I was "done" with the tub for a while and wanted to lay down a bit. The nurses at my hospital are really used to naked mamas wandering around...their only request is that the partners remain somewhat clothed!

Oh! And last time I bought a pair of super comfy XXL sleep pants at Kmart...they have funny monkeys all over them and the wasit band has "monkey noises" printed on it (like "oooogh" and "aaaaaagh!"). DD calls them my "funny monkey pants" (which makes me think about that Buffy episode) but they are ridiculously comfy and I wear them to sleep in most nights so I'll probably do some of my birth in those...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#77 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM

I haven't washed any baby things but I've definately started thinking about it! My birth kit came yesterday so I am going to start putting together a tote with just birth stuff. My mom was here when my birth kit came, and I opened it, and she laughed. She had no idea it was mostly pads. LOL!

I had a midwife appt yesterday... it was good. Baby is head down and OA which is great news for me, even if they are still moving a ton. I don't remember my son ever being anterior.

As for what to wear in labor... I wore a maternity tank last time with shorts, and eventually with no shorts, and at least part of it naked. Once we transferred to the hospital I wore that ugly gown. This time I fully plan on being naked. I'll probably start out in the same outfit... the tank and knit shorts. They are just so comfy!
#78 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM

I haven't washed any baby clothes yet, but I do have a few things at least, so I'm feeling a little closer to being ready. DH suggested we order CDs as our Easter present to ourselves this weekend, which sounds great to me. We have a car seat (but no car) and I am thinking about getting nursing pjs too, because a friend of mine said she really regretted not having something cute to wear in the hospital after the birth.

No matter how much stuff I buy to get ready, though, we're still waiting for our landlord to arrange to have our apartment deleaded before the baby comes--so that will be way more disruptive and it just isn't in our control (no matter how many times we ask him nicely to do it asap--not in June). We didn't know he was legally required to do this for children under 6, but when the city inspectors were here for something else they noticed I was pregnant, so now they're requiring him to have it done.

I finally did my glucose tolerance test yesterday (yuck) and am waiting to hear today if I passed it. We had a great trip to Nova Scotia (home) last week (hi Corri!), but the downside is that from sitting in the car for many hours, I now have some pretty serious lower back pain. My ob says it's probably sciatica, but I'm not sure that's what it is because there's no pain at all in my legs. Anyway, I'm limping, and trying to do some stretches to make it go away.

Since this is baby #1 I have a feeling I'll be more than 40 weeks, and I just have this sneaking suspicion that since I'm a Canadian in the US, this American baby will be born July 4th. Or maybe she'll decide to appear on Canada Day instead!
#79 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 01:19 PM

This being my first I'm almost baffled by the idea of nursing pjs (but incredibly curious!!!). Where does one find cute nursing pjs? (I don't mean to sound like an uninformed mama to be, but this is seriously a new idea for me!)

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#80 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins0614 View Post
This being my first I'm almost baffled by the idea of nursing pjs (but incredibly curious!!!). Where does one find cute nursing pjs? (I don't mean to sound like an uninformed mama to be, but this is seriously a new idea for me!)
Well, one can nurse in many kinds of regular nighties and pj's, but cute nursing pajamas are a beautiful thing for when you are feeling a bit sore, exhausted, and weird stuff has been coming out of precious parts of your body for a few days!

www.motherwear.com is the most obvious place to buy them (to me.)

www.roundbelly.com is another place I have personal good experience with for both maternity and nursing wear.

www.nordstrom.com has a maternity shop and a few nursing gowns (Japanese Weekend and Olian maternity, mainly.)

And my personal "aspiration pajamas" are made by www.majamas.com (sold only through online/retailers, not direct), but I haven't spent the money on these yet and I've never seen them on sale. They just look good. I haven't actually worn anything by Majamas yet.

--willo
#81 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM

I remember last time they made me wear the hospital gown. they wanted me to take off my bra but I didn't want to and I was glad later because there was no way I would have been able to get one one over all the iv's and wires and crap and I needed it for nursing!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#82 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 03:18 PM

I like the mesh panties too! I actually took some from the hospital when I was there a few mos ago with PTL :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#83 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I remember that our Bradley childbirth teacher suggested that everyone who was birthing in a hospital snag a handful of those panties to bring home. I think her opinion was that they were disposable (and free) and it would save laundry, but I remember them being at least as comfy as normal undies, and probably more so, because they were so stretchy.

And, by the way, when I folded and put away the baby clothes I washed yesterday, I totally cuddled and re-folded them a few times.

--willo
#84 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM

On clothes...
I tried to wear nursing clothes and pajamas, and just hated all of it!! I am incredibly leaky, and felt with those nursing tanks that i just leaked through the openings and onto the front of the tank. I just wore big sporty kind of shirt bras around the house, like the ones from Blue Canoe, and wore nursing pads too. I had some nursing shirts and dresses, and felt like all the hassle and time it took to find the hole, get my huge boob out of the bra and out of the hole, was just totally silly. It was much easier to just pull a regular shirt or tank up or down. The nursing gown drove me nuts!! I remember trying to find the hole and get my boob out of it, and it never lined up, like it was twisted around from flipping sides and sleeping. I still have it because I bought it as my pretty nursing nightie, but I literally wore it a few times with my first baby and not since!!!!!! I'm a little nostalgic, I guess.

Anyway, my vote is that nursing clothes are expensive and over-rated. All your clothes are going to be milk stained anyway! I'm just going to get some regular loose tanks and wear them with bras.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#85 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
On clothes...

Anyway, my vote is that nursing clothes are expensive and over-rated. All your clothes are going to be milk stained anyway! I'm just going to get some regular loose tanks and wear them with bras.
: I agree, infact I was just given a bunch of really nice nursing clothes and I couldn't mentally get over the fact that there was this big hole at my boob that I decided to consign them. But everyone is comfortable in there own way.

#86 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
On clothes...
I tried to wear nursing clothes and pajamas, and just hated all of it!! ...

Yet another example of "Try it and see what works for you!"

1) I never leaked. I think once in all my 2+ years of nursing did I ever drip at all, and that was right after a warm shower my first week post-partum. I didn't stain a single item of clothing--not even a nursing bra--with milk.

2) When I had to take my son out for an extended time (doctor visits in the city, etc.), I could NOT manage to nurse with any feeling of comfort without a nursing top.

Now, I only had a few dedicated nursing tops, because, for HOME use, they weren't any more useful to me. But, for discrete public nursing, they were VITAL to me.

So, yet again, I think most first-timers should probably try one or two items to see how they work for her. God bless the internet for allowing us to order what we want more of online when our babies are a few days old!

Since I had low milk supply issues, I will also repeat here that, for women in such a predicament, it is strongly recommended to avoid the kind of bra/top that one pulls aside (in favor of "real" nursing bras) because the extra pressure on the breast can inhibit the milk flow.

--willo
#87 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 PM

I just have to chime in on the clothes!

I delivered in the hospital and really didn't think much about what to wear. I labored in a big maternity tee shirt, a nursing bra, and a pair of yoga pants. I got to the hospital between 8 and 9 cm, so they didn't even really have time to offer me a gown. I probably would have refused anyhow. I just took off the pants and my undies and pushed the baby out. It worked nicely for me, as by that time I really couldn't have cared less about modesty, etc. I was ready to push, and pushing was literally the only thing I could focus on. Afterward I was able to just sit on all the absorbent padding with a sheet up to my waist - easy and comfy.

This time I'm delivering at home, but expect to be wearing much the same thing. Unless I use the birthing tub, in which case I'll probably ditch the tee shirt...

As for nursing wear, I've actually found some of it very useful. As Willo said, it's not really necessary when you're at home, but for me it was very necessary for public nursing. I never seemed to be able to cover myself well enough to feel comfortable in regular clothes unless they were *way* too big. I felt unattractive enough without wearing oversized clothing to boot!

In the very early weeks it was all frustrating. But that was mainly because of extreme engorgement and inexperience. I didn't just leak, I was a veritable fountain at all times. Even the lansinoh disposable pads didn't hold me for more than an hour at a time. By 5 weeks or so I had slowed to a constant drip, which could be managed with cloth pads if I changed them every 45 minutes or so. At that point I'd also found some comfortable nursing positions that worked for us and was able to select nursingwear that suited both my physique and nursing needs.

Nursing jammies are something of a luxury, unless you want to sleep without a bra. Leaky as I was, I needed something tight enough to hold my nursing pads in place, and that meant sleeping in my nursing bras or wearing nursing pajamas. Happily, I had some fairly comfy nursing bras, so I just slept in them most of the time. The bravado bras were fantastic for that. For nursing jammies, unless you will be nurisng in your pajamas in public, I prefer a tight cris-cross top that you just pull aside to expose your whole breast. It's so much easier that way! The majamas pj's are like that. (Though they're shaped correctly to hold the nursing pads in place, they're not actually tight enough to provide support like a bra, so I don't think they inhibit milk production.) I only have one pair, and I actually didn't buy them until I got pregnant this time around, but they are fantastic! I know they cost an arm and a leg, but I'm even thinking about getting a second pair so I can wear them all the time with this new babe.

I found that basically none of the double layered tee shirts worked for me. The under layer never seemed to stay tucked, and the openings were never in the right place. The two styles that work best for me are the tanks with the clips on the straps (like glamourmom) and those with a double layer only at the top (like majamas) both of which have an underlayer with a smaller opening (maybe 2.5" diameter) which stays positioned around your nipple the whole time you're wearing the garment. I wear the tanks with nursing pads and no bra. The majamas types I wear with a nursing bra underneath as they don't provide much if any support.
#88 of 92 Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 PM

I totally agree, Willo, that we're all so different in nursing as in pregnancy! It's neat for first time moms to get to hear all the different perspectives, and mine is just one. I just didn't want them to feel like they really needed to get a wardrobe of nursing clothes on top of prepping for the baby, i.e. take the worry level down!

I forgot to mention before***a friend used these little silicone things (for lack of a better word) that covered just her nipple and areola really. They stick to your skin, sort of, and stay in place. She found them to be excellent for stopping leaking, and never experienced any kind of problems with them. It made it so she could wear regular tanks with built-in bras without needing nursing pads (which can be really funky looking depending on what you're wearing.). Anyway, I don't think they'd be very effective/useful in that first period where my milk is just EVERYWHERE, but after that I'm going to give them a try- I saw them at a lingerie store for $6 for the pair.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#89 of 92 Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, I think you mean "LilyPadz", mataji4. Those are silicone and apply gentle pressure to the nipple. I've thought about trying them, not so much for leaking, but just to keep everything off my nipples when they are (likely to be) very sore in the beginning.

PP who said the style of nursing top will likely make a difference for a new mom is right. I had a few tops I NEVER wore, and one that I wore almost every time I went to town. It was styled like a button down shirt (but had snaps instead of buttons) and had snap-down flaps over the large, vertical nursing openings. (The flaps snapped almost under my arms, so they never blew open in the wind or anything if a flaky mommy forgot to re-snap them. ) The flaps also worked like tiny blankets to hide the actual baby-to-boob connection point--something that helped me feel comfortable nursing in public.

So that was my FAVORITE nursing shirt.

I hope to get a couple of those nursing tanks this time, but Glamour Mom did *NOT* fit a busty (36D/DD pre-pg, up to 38F nursing!) former size 12 mom like me. I found a new type this time that I'm REALLY hoping works:
http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/index.php?p=1214

--willo
#90 of 92 Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 AM

I just have to chime in and say thhat when i was nursing DD I leaked everywhere at night and found it very helpful to just stick a folded hanky or cloth diaper in my bra at night... I would also just keep the straps down at night for easy access. I saved my nursing pads for when I was going out.

just my two cents on the leaking bit of the conversation.

also... they have some VERY pretty nursing bras at www.PassionSpice.com... but they are quiet pricey.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page