Weekly Thread April 2 - 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you believe it is April?

I said to DS last night, "Baby Glooby could come in *TWO* months, now, because it is April instead of March today."

Passover begins tonight at sundown, and I have, for the first time since before I became Jewish, no seder to attend.

It is sad, but my kitchen is already a wreck in preparation for our upcoming remodel, and the one invitation we got would've meant me dragging DS into Boston on the train (during "naptime") to meet DH at work to go to a LOOOOONG dinner/ritual that begins around the time we start getting ready for bed these days! I'm feeling pretty bummed about this holiday this year. I just feel totally defeated by it. Terrible, since it is a festival celebrating FREEDOM. :

In other news, I've got a prenatal visit today. I guess I'll find out if I'm likely to get my birth center birth. We'll see if all that Floradix and Yellow Dock is working for my iron situation...

I wish it weren't raining today. I could've used happier weather.

--willo
#2 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 AM

good luck with your appointment today willo! i hope all your levels are where they need to be for the birth center.

sorry you're feeling sad about passover. this is the first year in a while that i'm not going to my family for the holiday and i miss it too. i had my own seder when i was pg with ds but it was so much work that i think it will take a few more years to recover enough to do it again.

on another note, i slept terribly last night - lots of tossing and turning punctuated by a nice dry cough - fun. the funny thing was, i dreamed about mataji . i mean i was probably dreaming about myself but it was her picture and name that were in my mind. you had your baby early, jenny and i think it was a girl but it's getting a little fuzzy now and we *are* having a girl so who knows but i thought it was funny...mdc has taken over my brain.
#3 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 AM

I'll happily trade with either of you right now. : We've been staying at my mother's place the last few days, and we'll be here another six, and she's already driving. me. INSANE. I woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I snuck downstairs in order to get some email/alone time in... I guess she heard me come down, 'cause five minutes later she's banging around in the kitchen with me, chattering away and trying to get me to put on the chicken soup. I have never, ever in my life been a morning person; I even slipped into the living room (thank heaven for wireless), and she FOLLOWED ME, STILL TALKING.

AUGH. GO AWAY, CRAZY MORNING WOMAN! Let me hide until my brain/coffee catches up with my body! :
#4 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM

OK... Another weekly thread and another moment of panic that this is all so close!

as for Passover we also are not haveing a seder this year and I am COMPLETELY bummed! For many years we went to my Nana and Poppop's in Queens, NY. When Nana died and Poppop had to go into a nursing home they had a little Seder with the residents of the nursing home and each person was allowed two guests. It was always my father and me with Pop for several years untill he passed away. Then I took over and for the last 4 years I have Seder at my house with DP (even though we are not Jewish, that is DexP and I). It's the only time of year my brother would come to my house and my parents for a meal. Last year we even had one of DP's good friends over who hadn't had a Seder since his own Nana passed away many years back. It was so nice, DD had a tiny sip of wine and announced that she didn't like it because it was "Hot Juice" My mother bought me wine glasses last year as a thank you gift for preparing everything. It was so nice.

Thia year my mom asked my Dad if he would like us to have Seder and he said "NO" (he's the only Jewish one in the family). I'm totally bummed.

Sleeping last night was RIDICULOUS(!!!!!) also!!! I woke up at 2 am with the worst hip pain of my LIFE! awoke in the morning a little better but still pretty achey!

Did any one read about this Intuitive Auto-Reply Engine ??? Does this mean if you read a thread and you dont respond, it will respond for you? Well I dont like that one bit! Seems kind of silly if you ask me.
#5 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
Did any one read about this Intuitive Auto-Reply Engine ??? Does this mean if you read a thread and you dont respond, it will respond for you? Well I dont like that one bit! Seems kind of silly if you ask me.
i've never been much of a practical joker but MDC april fool's humor is just plain silly.

hope you're hips feel better....i think a lot of us are probably getting to the point of wondering "how many more changes can my body go through in the next 2+ months?" :
#6 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM

#7 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Heyla all!

Another week closer...ack!

DD's party was yesterday (she turns two on the 5th, but who wants a mid-week party?) and it was totally insane (so much for my "this will be low key" mantra) but a lot of fun. DD wanted a tea party so we made scones, and mini chocolate muffins, and shortbread...and we had fruit and veggie platters with hummus and yogurt dips...and a friend brought a cake shaped like a rose (dd like blowing out the candles but the cake had wheat, eggs, and dairy so none of the kids could actually eat it due to various food allergies...so candles for dd, cake for adults!). We all had tea and goofed off and outside of a few "toddler moments" the kiddos were actually getting along and sharing!

It gives me hope that DD will adjust better than expected to Roro's June arrival. I can hope, right?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 PM

My birth kit is ordered! My mom offered to pay for it so I ordered it yesterday. I'm sure when it gets here it's going to feel very real.

This past week I've started religiously drinking the RRL tea. I'm drinking a quart a day now, and doing the infusion. I know in the RRL tribe it says this could cause a labor to be "too fast" but when your first was 36+ hours, nothing seems too fast. LOL

I finally have an appt with my midwife on Thursday. It's been almost 5 weeks, and that sucks. She's allotting an hour and a half for this one because I have a ton to talk with her about.

Question... is anyone else doing prenatal massage the last few weeks? My midwife swears by this... and I want to do it, I'm just not sure how we're going to afford it.
#9 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
tls

Nesting finally started yesterday. I found a tub of baby clothes in our “room of doom” (you know, the room in the basement where everything we don’t know what to do with yet gets thrown). YAY, so I don’t need to buy any, we just need a dresser to put them in. I did 8 loads of laundry and a bunch of overdue organizing. Plus I cleaned the living room and started to go through the kids’ room with the intent of getting rid of a ton of toys. I didn’t get that done, but I still feel like I finally accomplished something. My body is feeling it today, however. I’m so tired and sore and glad to be seeing a chiropractor tomorrow. I really wish I wasn’t working today because I still feel like working in the house. This feeling doesn’t come too often and I am wasting it by being at work! Plus it’s Spring Break and DH, who is a teacher, is home with the kids, lucky man. Oh well, hopefully DH will take some initiative to go through all our junk.

Shell Ell, I will be seeing a Chiropractor probably once a week when I get closer to the due date. I will also have massages done but my sister is a professional masseuse so I guess I am lucky in that sense.
#10 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Aside from bad news about my iron levels and my now-unlikely birth center birth, my pre-natal visit went fine.

My suspicions about this baby's position were confirmed. Head is on the left and on a line a few inches below my belly button; butt is on the right and a bit higher than my belly button. It is the feet I feel kicking my lower right quadrant and the hands fidgeting about in the upper left quadrant.

Of course, it is still too early to worry/act on this, but, as I had a suspicion with my son that he wanted to be born just a bit early, I have a strong feeling that this kid is VERY HAPPY being transverse. : I'm going to start playing music to the base of my uterus to try to lure the little bugger into a more head-down position. The best news is, at least s/he is facing my back in spite of my anterior placenta.

(Is it really MY anterior placenta, or his/her anterior placenta? )

Oh, and I've gained 25 pounds exactly as of 28 wks 3 days along. (My goal is to stay under 40 pounds, but, since I'm not actually watching what I eat, I'm not sure why I even have a goal.)

--willo
#11 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM

so far i am hating april.

i feel revolting.

the last three days the morning sickness seems to have come back. it isn't a fluey thing, no fever or anything, just nausea and no desire to eat. and tired. plus i just want to be asleep so i am not so aware of how disgusting i feel.

and when i feel this sick, whenever the babe kicks i just feel worse. and she always kicks.

bah humbug!

however on the upside we got a new car (and by new i mean used) over the weekend - which is a HUGE relief becuase our current car is really on its last gasps of air AND I ordered a car seat. two things which had really been weighing on us.

hurrah!
#12 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
the last three days the morning sickness seems to have come back. it isn't a fluey thing, no fever or anything, just nausea and no desire to eat. and tired. plus i just want to be asleep so i am not so aware of how disgusting i feel.
I've had some nasty feelings like this in the past week. (I'm 28.5 weeks now.) It seems to be signal from my body that I really need some protein, even though, when it is bad, i don't want to eat. Since I've massively upped my protein intake and taken care to spread it throughout the day, I haven't gotten the weak/ill feeling again.

--willo
#13 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm with those of you who've had a return of the morning sickness. And I think Willo's right--for me it seems to be a need for constant protein intake. I've been religiously doing 130-150 gms a day and so terribly sick of it. I do get hungry, but it's such a drag having to eat all day long (and usually one or two glasses of milk or a yoghurt during the night).

That said I'm otherwise feeling pretty good, just big, really big. I'm also starting to feel confident that we'll get to term or at least close. I'm scheduled to teach a two-week intensive course in the beginning of May--only way I'll get any summer pay. So I've been coaching the cubs that if they don't want mama and daddy to go bankrupt this summer they should stay happily inside until at least mid-May.

We're also trying to get more focused on position. These two have moved constantly--sometimes 2 or 3 times even during a single ultrasound. Everyone keeps telling me it's too early to worry, but I want so badly for one of them to get vertex in time. Our OB says she can get twin #2 out vaginally no matter the position, but the first one has to get vertex.

Are you all feeling ready? I know our house is not (ceiling to be replaced, stuff to acquire--like diapers...) and it's only just begun to sink in that I now need to prepare the hospital bag and supplies. I'm still a bit in denial about that one.
#14 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Morning sickness, is that what this icky feeling could be: I was really, really sick all last week, throwing up and all, I am feeling better, except that my stomach is acting yucky still. I have no appetite and am literally forcing myself to eat. I remember being soooo hungry this time in the last pregnancy and was really starting to wonder, I am going to considder this as morning sickness, I see my MW on Thursday so I will question her about it.

Anyway baby is moving soooo much, little limbs just stick out everywhere, it is fun, but as a PP said if makes me feel yuckier when she/he moves.

We have to move out of our house by the 1st, and I am really not feeling ready for baby, I hope that the house we find will allow me to "super nest" and then get all the clothes put away and washed as I don't have anything done, not even my birthkit ordered, is it appropriate to start to panic? This baby is coming no matter what, but YIKES! I need a home and in the leaste a birth kit! DH doesn't seem worried at all, which is not helping me, I need us both to be gung-ho the next 2 months and PREPARE!! KWIM? :

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#15 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
Are you all feeling ready? I know our house is not (ceiling to be replaced, stuff to acquire--like diapers...) and it's only just begun to sink in that I now need to prepare the hospital bag and supplies. I'm still a bit in denial about that one.
No! And I had a moment of panic about that last night when I realized that I will be at 30 weeks soon. A serious moment of panic! DH thought it was cute-I, on the other hand, was terrified thinking about all that we have left to do and prepare for. But I'm feeling a little better about it all today.

I just wish the semester would finish up, so that DH can help me pick out and get some of the still needed baby items and make some major decisions (like, finding a doctor for Roo!). I don't want to keep feeling like I have to choose everything, you know? (I'm a procrastinator at heart anyways, and I like to delay most big decisions, in fact, I delay small ones too!)

Roo kept me up all night Saturday night-he/she was having a serious party! I couldn't believe how much movement was going on in there!

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#16 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
Ready? Are you kidding me?

Our kitchen remodel isn't even scheduled to BEGIN until April 23rd. Now, I'm not due until June 23rd, so we aren't cutting it too close (we're not ripping out all the cabinets, just replacing counters, floors, and appliances), but, NO, I'm NOT READY YET.

At least I learned from last time that I didn't need to pack nearly as much as the "birth kit" lists online suggested. I had all kinds of labor support items and didn't use anything except the banner I'd made to cover up the crucifix on our (Catholic) hospital's wall. I had an entire bag full of snacks and juice boxes in case our labor went long or I was hungry when it was done (horror story of a woman who had her baby late at night and no food was available at her hospital except tea/coffee from a machine.)

Basically, I should've packed just my post-birth stuff. For this time, I plan to have a labor bag, a food bag, and an overnight/post-partum bag. We'll leave the first two in the car unless we actually NEED something from them.

--willo
#17 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
Morning sickness, is that what this icky feeling could be?...
OMG! I hadn't even thought of this! I've had a few days where I avoided taking out the garbage because the smell was nauseating and I've also been smelling the dog more... Dammit! I hope it doesn't get worse than this. The first three months of this pregnancy were so incredibly difficult.

The real pain for me right now is heartburn. It's not *terrible* heartburn but it's pretty reliable and I've again taken to sipping little glasses of milk throughout the day and night for relief. Heartburn bites the big one!

Nesting...

I rallied (forced) DH to do the ultimate dreaded chore with me this weekend--garage clean-out and organize. He was oh-so-pissy about it, but I think I’m beginning to understand the power of the nesting instinct. I refused to compromise or allow him to do a half-assed job. It was going to get gone, like-it-or-not. It was a long, difficult day and by the time we dumped off the last truckload of recyclables I was in tears, and I am not normally a crier. The garage looks a lot better (though still too packed to allow a car) and now the whole back wall is clear and I can have the electrician come back and install electrical outlets for a deep freeze. This, I’m hoping, will prevent us from starving to death during post-partum.

Today I assembled nursery furniture! We’re almost close to being ready!
#18 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Just jumping right in - new member here - although I've met some of you already!

About Passover - last year we had our seder at home and it was SO nice. this year we'll be waiting around and probably not starting till after 10 which means not eating till after 12...not fun if you ask me.

About pregnancy issues - just found out I failed my 1 hour gtt. So I get to do the 3 hour test. Only good thing is that I can take another sick day from work. Sigh.

My daughter had her 2 year check up and she once again has a double ear infection. I don't know what I'm going to do with her!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#19 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 PM

About the morning sickness

we all must remember that every day our babies get a little bit bigger and thus our stomaches get a little bit more pressure and there is just less room all around...

that said... it's driving me nuts! I tend to throw up if I start coughing for any reason : no fun... no fun at all.
#20 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Willo, I'm sorry that you might lose your birth center birth

Torio, I am NOT feeling ready, I'm feeling anxious. I keep thinking I'm ready then I'll remember something that I've forgotten and start worrying that there are more things I've forgotten. I plan on wrapping things up in the next two weeks and really making sure everything is ready (and that DP knows where everything is).

I'm still having the hip pain while sleeping. Last night was thw worst yet, I ended up giving up on sleeping around 6 and just getting up. It hurt so bad that I needed a hot shower to relax. My hips BURN like they're being set on fire when I sleep. I slept in a hotel bed last night so I'm hoping that was the problem. DP and I are gonna get one of those memory foam mattress toppers and see if it helps.

I saw MW a few days ago and it's been conformed that babe is head down! I feel a little relived, but I know he can turn back. If he does I'll have my ice packs waiting :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#21 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
I tend to throw up if I start coughing for any reason : no fun... no fun at all.
this is happening to me too and i can't stand it. this cold has been kicking my butt for the last month and i'm sooo desperate to feel good again i'm glad that babygirl is nice and happy in her little bubble but i'm dying for some relief.

willo - i made an appointment with an acupuncturist for tomorrow and i've never done it before so i was wondering if there was anything in particular i should ask about/look for. she's very highly recommended and i got a good feeling from her over the phone but just checking to see if you had any tips.

we're nowhere near "ready" either but for some reason i'm feeling calm about it - we'll have what we need by the time she arrives. i guess because there are so many other things to do in the meantime (heal my body, write papers, etc) that i just can only focus on one deadline at a time.
#22 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
Shell Ell, I will be seeing a Chiropractor probably once a week when I get closer to the due date. I will also have massages done but my sister is a professional masseuse so I guess I am lucky in that sense.
I saw the chiropractor twice a week my last month of pregnancy last time and it had no effect on my son's position, much to my disapointment. He still ended up posterior. So this time I wanted to try something different! And she recommends it so highly that I couldn't not use it as an excuse to be alone for an hour a week. LOL!
#23 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetisadora View Post
willo - i made an appointment with an acupuncturist for tomorrow and i've never done it before so i was wondering if there was anything in particular i should ask about/look for. she's very highly recommended and i got a good feeling from her over the phone but just checking to see if you had any tips.
Having personal recommendations is probably the biggest deal, plus having a good rapport with the practitioner can only help. At my first visit, my acupuncturist spent a fair amount of time taking a thorough history and explaining everything. You should expect that much. Also, the cleanliness/hygiene issue--kind of obvious (and I think only disposable needles are allowed anywhere in the USA.)

Very few points that I've had needled actually hurt. Most feel like a little pinch (at worst.) My acupuncturist ALWAYS warns me if a spot is likely to be painful. You might ask to be sure this person will do that for you.

--willo
#24 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
I saw the chiropractor twice a week my last month of pregnancy last time and it had no effect on my son's position, much to my disapointment. He still ended up posterior.
I'm all in favor of trying everything that doesn't hurt the baby. I did once have a discussion with my chiro about turning babies, and she said that it is something that they don't *ALL* know how to do, and that she would only recommend someone going to a chiropractor who had made a special study of it.

--willo
#25 of 92 Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM

#26 of 92 Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 AM

rant ahead:
I just went into the baby's room which is finally starting to come together. it's actually the nicest room in the house right now - very peaceful and sweet. we just got a bunch of the finishing touches done this weekend and I love going in there and just imagining being with my babe in there.

anyway, I go in to have just such a sweet moment, and what do I see but a giant ugly new TV that 'd'h bought (spent $$ on!) and put in there. After all we've talked about with tv's and kids. he claims it's just to get through babyhood. makes no sense. I'm so mad and starting to cry. he doesn't get it.
#27 of 92 Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetisadora View Post
i've never been much of a practical joker but MDC april fool's humor is just plain silly.
:
Well thats not funny at all! I saw it on April 2nd!!!!! It didn't even click!

RockdrI'm sorry hubby is being thick headed.... maybe he just really felt like he had the best intentions. Perhaps you could ask him if he would like to put a rocker in the living room so he could rock the babe and not miss his show? Just a thought.

VanessaYes I think you're absolutly MAD to try to go back to school over the summer... but hey I'm going to do it too so let's let the crazies run together! I'm Due June 5th and classes start June 11th!!!! and 3 to 4 classes this fall to try and get into the Dental Hygienist program in fall '08
(Seeeee... I'm on some sort of track! lol)

OHHHH... and my mom keeps telling me how it's not right how achey I am! I'm trying to get her to come on here and read the weekly thread that there's nothing wrong with me... just plain old pregnant!! She keeps saying things like "I dont remember MY hips hurting all the time!" and "I remember I was 9 months pregnant with you and catching ground balls with your brother so he wouldn't resent you!" All I keep thinking is... Just cuase you were doing it, doesn't mean it didn't ACHE!!! I'm on the floor with DD eveyday, doesn't mean getting up is easy!!!!
#28 of 92 Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
rant ahead:
I just went into the baby's room which is ...actually the nicest room in the house... and what do I see but a giant ugly new TV that 'd'h bought (spent $$ on!) and put in there. After all we've talked about with tv's and kids.
I'm sorry, rock_dr. He shouldn't have done that. It sounds like the shock of seeing ugly electronics in your sweet, perfect baby's room was at least as bad as the insult of ignoring your feelings about kids and tv.

I am 100% in agreement on tv in kids' rooms. (I would love to forbid all tv in our house, but DH loves to come home and relax with the Simpsons, and, once I have a tv, I watch it when I'm tired. We do limit DS's tv to about an hour of non-commercial tv each day.)

Anyway, I was going to tell you that we are planning on using our "nursery" as a sitting room for the summer, and I'm about to get cable installed in that room. Crazy, right? But it is almost exactly what your husband said--to get me through the babyhood. (He was still wrong to dump it in there, but bear with me as I explain.)

We don't have central air, but we're getting a mini-split (basically an air conditioner) installed upstairs because I know I won't succeed at nursing (let alone CUDDLING) my new baby during a humid summer. The new system will only cover the upstairs. I can remember how I spent SO MUCH time just parked on the couch when DS was little and nursing constantly, so I am putting a loveseat where the crib should be so I can use the nursery as--literally!--a NURSEry, or nursing room. The baby will sleep in our room for the first few months anyway, I expect, like its brother did. I will set up a comfort station for myself, including the un-loved but oh-so-distracting tv set, plus a play area for my preschooler. The baby's clothes will also be put away in there already.

I am also looking forward to having the option of nursing in front of whatever show I feel like without editorial comments from my parents. Now, Dad will only be here for a couple of weeks, but Mom is staying all summer to help out. She will be helpful, but MUCH MORE SO if I have my own separate "sitting room" where I can go when I need a little extra privacy.

So, if you can afford the tv set, it might actually be handy to keep it, unless you will get away with co-opting your (one and only?) main set in the living room. (I know many men fight harder than my DH for that remote. ) Also, will you be comfortable nursing in the "public" part of your house some or all of the time? That depends so much upon you and your family and, to some extent, even the design of your house! (Can someone approaching your front door see into the living room, for example?)

To aid your argument against the tv, any CRT (old-style monitor or tv--the deep, heavy, fat ones) sends out potentially harmful ... oh, crud. Either magnetic fields or radiation--I'm getting dumber by the day. Anyway, walls don't stop those unhealthy rays, and a developing (growing) person will be more susceptible to them than an adult due to the rapid cell growth. Now, the harmful rays come out the BACK, so the best protection is to aim all tvs/monitors toward an exterior wall. You could use this health argument against the tv being in there, though, if it helps...

--willo
#29 of 92 Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM

good points, thanks. I am probably overreacting. part of it is that he bought this to 'surprise' me because he knows I would say no if he asked (he did the exact same thing when he bought the huge new tv for our living room a year ago).

but you are right, that room is basically a sitting room and will mostly be used for nursing. baby will be in our bedroom for quite awhile. maybe I will be happy to have it in there. I'm just sort of embarrassed by it. plus - not that I have any experience with this - it just seems like babies get programmed so early on. I hate that some of its earliest experiences will involve the background noise and sound of a tv.

hormones are going crazy though, I'm so emotional about this!
#30 of 92 Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
I'm just sort of embarrassed by it. plus - not that I have any experience with this - it just seems like babies get programmed so early on. I hate that some of its earliest experiences will involve the background noise and sound of a tv.

hormones are going crazy though, I'm so emotional about this!
I repeat: He was being rude to buy it and put it there without your agreement! Be sure you "make it your own" and you control that remote, if the idea is that it is your nursing paradise!

Totally, 100% with you on being embarrassed by my sometimes reliance on tv. We had a lot of nursing problems, and distracting myself with the "idiot box" really helped. When I was exhausted, in pain, and pumping at 3 am, I needed to be distracted. WHATEVER WILL GET YOU THROUGH A TOUGH NIGHT IS OKAY!!! Trust me! Last time, I didn't have a tv upstairs, and I was so irritated that my local public radio station played jazz at night instead of classical or talk radio. It was just something that bugged me. This time, I'm springing for a cable box with a DVR, so at least I will have what I WANT instead of an extra irritation.

Not to promote tv here, but I also found a great use for the music channels we have in the 500s on our cable box. I tried playing dozens of different types of music on those channels and learned that DS loves opera and hates jazz. I never would've thought to buy him an Opera for Children CD if I hadn't done that experiment.

The hard part was when DS got old enough to start noticing the tv, because I'd gotten used to watching whatever I wanted while he nursed. I got quite strict with myself and watched almost no tv once I saw him reacting to the screen. I think that was around 9 months old?

Tiny babies just block out noises they've gotten used to. Most of them sleep through the doorbell, the dishwasher, the vacuum... (God willing none of us gets a hyper-sensitive child! Let them all be easy babes! )

--willo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page