Best/Healthiest Disposable Diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on using CDs, but I want to have some disposables on hand as well. I really want to avoid "mainstream" disposables, b/c I am concerned about the chemicals in them. Any advice on which "natural" disposables work best?

-Amy

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#2 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM

i think that 7th generation work really well, however they have the same gel stuff in them as the other guys. they don't have all the perfumes and chlorine bleach and such though...

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#3 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Yup...a lot of the more "natural" disposables have many of the same "unnatural" ingredients. Plus the different brands can have VERY different "fits". It might be worth seeing if any of your friends (or other mamas in an AP or natural parenting group) might be able to give you one or two of the disposables they use so you can try them out on your little one before buyina whole box...some of those brands can be pretty pricey!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 02:52 PM

You must also consider your baby's unique chemistry. My son got a terrible rash from 7th Gen diapers (among other brands), but seems to do best in Huggies if he must be in a disposable.

Cloth diapering, for me, was much more a question of HEALTH for my child than any kind of environmental decision, though I think it landed on the eco-friendly side, too.

I might try those two part disposables I've seen at Whole Foods lately for this baby (because I prefer to use disposables during air travel and very long days out)--a re-usable outer and a flushable inner. Reducing even half the bulk of the diaper seems like an obvious plus to me.

We'll see how the new baby's bum compares to DS's! Sometimes, the choice is really not ours to make (unless you would subject your baby to a painful, red butt because you'd already decided on a diaper brand--but I bet you wouldn't! )

--willo
#5 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
...I might try those two part disposables I've seen at Whole Foods lately for this baby (because I prefer to use disposables during air travel and very long days out)--a re-usable outer and a flushable inner. Reducing even half the bulk of the diaper seems like an obvious plus to me.
Is this the "G-diaper"?
#6 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM

I have a friend who uses G-diapers when they are out and really loves them.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#7 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM

The whole foods I went to stopped carrying the 7th gen and the tushies diapers. All they had were the 365 brand and they SUCK. They leak, and not even out the sides, just straight through. bleh.
#8 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

I've always liked the 7th Gen for the occasional sposie. I can't stand the smell of all the normal dipes! ICK! I've pondered the G-diapers but the pricetag has me holding back. We rarely use sposies anyway, so it hasn't made sense so far.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#9 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post
I've always liked the 7th Gen for the occasional sposie. I can't stand the smell of all the normal dipes! ICK! I've pondered the G-diapers but the pricetag has me holding back. We rarely use sposies anyway, so it hasn't made sense so far.
Are there ANY "typical" grocery-store brand of dipes that DON'T have an added scent?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 PM

After a few minutes on Google, I think that the answer to my query is, "no."

Well, if I had any uncertainty about cloth dipes, it's gone. I won't use scented products on my infant, as I don't use them on myself.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
After a few minutes on Google, I think that the answer to my query is, "no."

Well, if I had any uncertainty about cloth dipes, it's gone. I won't use scented products on my infant, as I don't use them on myself.
I am chemically sensitive, and I can tolerate Huggies, FWIW.

You will probably also find that store brands are less scented (maybe contain "masking" scents but not actual "smell me" scents)--certainly I tolerate them better than Pampers (totally "baby powder" scented!) or Luvs (vicious rash machines, for my son!)

--willo
#12 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM

It's funny...Huggies are the ONLY disposable dipes that don't give dd a rash or funny skin reaction! She has a few food allergies and we dealt with moderate eczema for about a year so we got to play "detective" a lot more than we really wanted to.

Even worse than diapers are those baby washes...we usually used either the unscented/dye free Aveno or the Target brand (same nonscent/nondye). One weekend visit we borrowed a little baby wash from a friends and I swear I didn't recognize dd! The smell is such an important part of "who" a little babe is and even at 5 months the fact that dd "smelled" like something other than herself really threw me.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 21 Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 AM

We've been using disposables for the past few months, as the whole prefold/snappi/cover combo wasn't doable for ds anymore. I've never tried Tushies, but heard they leaked a lot. I like 7th Generation and Huggies...they are definitely better than the generic drugstore diaper. Now, neither of those are particularly 'natural,' but for a short time I wasn't too concerned.

I don't get those G diapers...can you really flush a whole diaper (minus the cover, I know) down the toilet???

Ds is now potty trained though - YEAH!!!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#14 of 21 Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 AM

I bought a whole slew of MotherEase cloth diapers, but still aren't using them because they're so big and gapey on her legs. Still!

I use 7th Generation. I love them.
#15 of 21 Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
I don't get those G diapers...can you really flush a whole diaper (minus the cover, I know) down the toilet???
I think there is a thin layer (like a flushable rice paper liner, maybe?) that can be flushed with any solids on it. That is the part that seems helpful to me.

(TMI follows DS just doesn't have very well-formed poop, even though he's a big ol' 3 year old who eats all solid food. We've talked to the doctor about it. We've tweaked his diet. It just seems to be his digestive system. If I don't use a lift-out liner with him, I can't shake all the poop into the toilet, and I really object to people poisoning our groundwater with human feces in the trash. I hate to be one of them!!!

I understand that there is a tear-off portion (the flushable poo-catcher) of the disposable portion (probably contains some gelling chemicals?) of the G diaper, if that makes sense!

I haven't tried them yet because the largest size would likely be too small for my 3 year old (who, by the way, claims he will start using the potty in June--God willing!) I'm willing to pay a bit more to try them for our backup system for the new baby, because at least I will know I'm starting at the small end of the size range! Any part that is re-usable seems like a likely environmental savings to me.

Aside from those who live in SEVERELY water restricted places (and washing diapers is supposed to be about equal to the same number of toilet flushes for a "trained" kid/adult), I just don't buy the idea that washing something re-usable can be as wasteful as producing so much stuff to just throw away after a single use. Doesn't compute! (I do use more hemp than cotton because of the massive chemical/water issues with conventional cotton crops.)

--willo
#16 of 21 Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM

There are often threads about the g-dipes in the Life with a Babe forum...some people seem to adore them and others don't in terms of fit and function. And the feedback from plumbers seems to be a bit mixed too...apparently some plumbing can handle the load and others simply jam up in fun and exciting poo related ways. There's a lot of "small print" in the packaging I guess (I haven't purchased any so don't know first hand) that alks about what can and can't be flushed!

Here's what the company has to say... http://www.gdiapers.com/

#17 of 21 Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 AM

I'm a very recent gDiapers convert. We started out with cloth, but DH never really got on board, and we kept getting leak after leak, so we went to 7th Generation. My father sent me a link to the gDiapers. We tried them out and I really like them! The covers are nice and bright. The liners snap into the covers and stay put. The flushable is like a really big maxi pad. It doesn't have a smell. It does have some sort of polymer to suck up the moisture, but it's not as noticeable as in a regular disposable (Huggies, Pampers). You rip one side of the flushable, dump out the cottony inside, then you break up the inside with the swish stick and flush. At the end of theflush, you add the outside of the flushable. There's a Yahoo group devoted to it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gDiapers/

You can even compost the wet flushables (poopy ones must go down the toilet). There are people who have issues with their plumbing, but most people seem to be OK.

Sorry to butt into the conversation!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#18 of 21 Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Regarding flushing g-diapers or even the flushable cloth diaper liners that I love...

How often does your toilet clog from your usual "activities"?

If you have a toilet that requires a pump-assist (like in some basements), you shouldn't flush a g-diaper, a flushable liner, a tampon or anything else except human waste and minute amounts of toilet paper. My parents had this in their last basement bathroom, and it worked fine, but it was definitely more sensitive than most other toilets I've ever used. (Ask me how much tp my DH uses... Grr.)

Toilets vary considerably in their likelihood to clog. The one plus to our old (pre-water limits) toilet is that is flushes like a champ and clogs less than most of the newer, "fancier" toilets I've used in my parents various homes an elsewhere. I would like to get a water-rationing toilet to replace it someday, but not until we've added a second toilet somewhere else in the house--just in case!

--willo
#19 of 21 Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Are there ANY "typical" grocery-store brand of dipes that DON'T have an added scent?
Huggies Supreme are what we used for DD - they are the only mainstream disposable we found without scent, that didn't leak gel, and that didn't cause skin reactions with my highly sensitive skinned DD. Wegman's brand also has no scent, but I don't like the fit.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#20 of 21 Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
It's funny...Huggies are the ONLY disposable dipes that don't give dd a rash or funny skin reaction! She has a few food allergies and we dealt with moderate eczema for about a year so we got to play "detective" a lot more than we really wanted to.
Yes. This is exactly what we found as well, and the main reason we used Huggies supreme. Eczema can be a real pill. :

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#21 of 21 Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
Yes. This is exactly what we found as well, and the main reason we used Huggies supreme. Eczema can be a real pill. :
*I* have eczema, and changing disposables is one of the triggers that makes my hands crack and bleed. Yet another reason I used primarily cloth.

Of course, the wrong laundry detergent will also give me a flare up, or even the gentlest detergents I've found if I must touch them directly (though they wash out well enough that I'm fine if someone else does the laundry.)

I have to wear gloves (Bluettes or non-latex disposables) if I want to clean most stuff. I've been touching tons of stuff I normally wouldn't, plus washing hands a lot, as I've been emptying my kitchen in preparation for our remodel, and I've got bandaids on several of my bleeding fingertips today.

--willo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page