Mothering Forum banner

nursing necklace ideas (and pics?)

1K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  wombatclay 
#1 ·
Heyla all!

So now that we have our beads (or most of us have them and the rest will soon) the really fun fun starts...how to string them!

I started playing with the beads las night and can't wait to continue later today...

If anyone wants a few ideas about stringing different styles beads into gorgeous necklaces, check out GreenLee's site (http://www.greenleesforest.com/ and she's an MDC mama). They aren't exactly "nursing necklaces" but they are beautiful and they're giving me all sorts of ideas.

Anyone else have a favorite beading inspiration page, or a page with ideas about cord knotting and beading?

See less See more
#6 ·
I love the links! I was thinking about holding off on my necklace until early labor... After seeing the links I might start it (just to get the hang of the knots) and save the rest for early labor. I always try to keep something for when labor begins so that I'm not watching the clock.

#10 ·
Wow Rock Dr...that's really nice!

I'm thinking I might actually make 9 or 10 pendants from the different beads and have a single woven necklace. That way I can leave the necklace on all the time and just swap out the pendant to suite my mood or to re-interest the babe. But I don't know! There are so many options!

#11 ·
Yay! I actually kept my promise. Here's a pic of my necklace. I guess they're all going to look similar when strung in this fashion. But oh well. I'm not going to use it as a teething necklace. More of just something to look at while birthing and a remembrance of this precious time. Plus it looks pretty cool drapped over my bedside lampshade.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...garound011.jpg

#18 ·
that's fantastic sally z!

Nora's Mommy - you had asked about your affirmation. is it this one?
'Amber has long been believed to be a stone of healing. It is beneficial to place pieces of Amber over any area of the body that is imbalanced or in pain (during/after birth, teething). Amber can absorb the negative energy and help the body to heal itself. Amber can be worn or used by people who get depressed easily, ie. ppd. Amber has also been used as a talisman for courage and self confidence (during birth/motherhood).'

#21 ·
So, I wanted to do something a little different, and I just wasn't loving the way the different bead sizes were going together (I was trying to do knotting between the beads and it just didn't "look" right no matter what I tried).

I was flipping through some photos and suddenly it came to me...chainmail!
I'm in the SCA (a medieval recreation group) and I know the basics of chain mail "weaving" so I thought I'd give it a try.

I "wove" a choker length of chain mail (a very basic 4 ring pattern using silver and copper jump rings) and then hung each bead on an individual silver strand with a small jet bead at the end to creat a sort of unified look.

It's a bit odd, and the photos didn't come out really well, but it's done and I can't wait to wear it during the birth and for nursing later on!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8438721@N07/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.