Sleeping position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My apoligies again if this is a repeat thread. I seem to search this thread area and not find it myself.

Almost everything I read says sleep on your left. Fine. Why? What are the main advantages. Why is it less effective to sleep on the right side? I also hear that it is extremely bad to lay on your back. One books says that it restricts air to the baby's brain. But is that is the case then why would some yoga poses and stretches occur with moma on her back.

Is it bad to be in a semi-twist position when lying down, as in lower body to one side and upper body facing up?

I guess I am trying to understand the actual mechanics of these warnings, then it will sink in more at an unconscious level. Right now I do my best to do the "text" book sleeping position to the left but when I wake up who knows what position I will be in.

Oh *sigh* - I feel like the closer I get to EDD the more I want to make sure I don't "screw up" does that make sense? The not great dreams don't help either. I feel like I'm getting ready for my first prom. Ready and not quite in the same time. Ay yay yay.
#2 of 12 Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM

You wont screw anything up! Just listen to your body and do what is comfortable.

But, for the textbooks:

Sleeping on your back- as your uterus gets bigger and heavier over the course of the pregnancy, laying on your back can cause problems. When laying on your back the weight can compress the aorta and vena cava (causing circulation related problems, like low blood pressure/dizziness/shortness of breath) and also press on the intestines (leading to or making worse things like indegestion & hemorrhoids). It can also cause or worsen backache since the extra weight can push the muscles into slightly odd positions.

But if you're comforotable on your back then it's not a problem for you! If you're uncomfortable you'll roll over, or wake up, or wake feeling funky in the morning...so just pay close attention to how you feel and experiment to find the "right" position(s) for you. I know I often wake on my back and I just roll over and add a few pillows for more support/comfort.

Also, in terms of yoga poses and some other exercises...you'll find most books/videos/instructors will tell you to pay attention to how you feel and if you get dizzy or short of breath in a position then either alter it or avoid it. And even the most committed yogini is probably not holding an inversion for 20-30 minutes in her third trimester! And it's the prolonged "on the back" position that can cause the real problems.

Sleeping on the left side (instead of the right): because of how the body is "plumbed" things tend to circulate better and drain more easily when you're on your left side instead of your right side. It's not a huge deal, just making things a tiny bit easier for your body systems by using gravity to your advantage.

So that's the "mechanics" of the sleep advice...but unlike the dress/hair style disasters that are so common at the first prom...you're not going to screw anything up by making yourself comfy!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 12 Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM

I was really paranoid about this stuff with my first pregnancy, but this time around I just take sleep however I can get it! I usually sleep best on the couch on my left side with my back up against the back of the couch for support.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 AM

And don't forget.......sleeping on your left is also good for getting baby in the habit of being on your left. That is....baby's back to your left which is more ideal for birth since baby has to rotate that way on his way out.....or not......but then things may not go as smoothly or quickly.
#5 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 AM

I've found that no matter what position I go to sleep in, I wake up in a different one. I'm not worried about it this time around, though I do tend to fall asleep on my left more often than not. Then again, I do that when I'm not pregnant, too.

I think this one is aiming to be sunny-side-up, so perhaps I'll make more of an effort to stay in that left-side sleeping position from now on. I'll try anything that might help to get this kid into a more favorable position for birth.
#6 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ah... ok. It's interesting but when I get up in the morning, whether I'm mostly on my left or my right it seems like my right side is flat and my left is bulging out. It almsot feels like everything just moves to the left naturally. Then minutes before I get up- like on cue she starts to wiggle herself down closer to a transverse position where she hangs out most of the day. *weird* I guess she should enjoy the space while she has it. Although at class yesterday we were talking about the differnt positions a baby can be in and my teacher said something about transverse position and weak ab muscles, and I thought - I'm a perfect candidate for that. I don't feel like I've ever had ab muscles.
#7 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM

I've read the horrors too, but since I don't sleep well, I just sleep however I can. I wake up on my back, sides, and sometimes a little on my stomach.
#8 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM

I think you really have to listen to your body. I can no longer comfortably lie on my back, so I don't do it. I lose my breath, get achy, and acid indegestion!

As for yoga, my yoga teacher always advises that we use a folded blanket under our hips, or rolled down the middle of our back for any flat-back poses, and several she just doesn't recommend at all during pregnancy. If you're doing yoga, I'd be certain you're using a book/CD/or class recommended for pregnancy - there are certain poses you really shouldn't do while pregnant - for example, twists (though certain gentle twists are okay), because in general twists are expelling - and you don't want to expell anything at this point!

I think the PPs are correct though - do what's comfortable, and if you don't like the idea of waking up on your back, just leave a pillow behind you - whatever side you're sleeping on, so that if you do roll to your back, you don't roll completely flat.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#9 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM

: My belly is a big round ball that sticks out as if it was it's own entitiy. I ALWAYS feel like I am sqishing the baby and definately cannot sleep on my back even for seconds at a time. But I find myself laying on my right side more often than the left, which has made me a bit paranoid that I am not in the "right position". But as least I am getting a little sleep.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#10 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Iamhappy2bamom: I have nothing new to add to this very informative thread except i have had a totally new wave of fears of messing this pregnancy up at that end. i woke up on my back this am and practically started crying, thinkign that i'd suffocated the baby. i drank some juice and prodded her, felt her and was relieved. i just feel we're so close to the end, and that if something went wrong now i'd lose it!

so, no new info re: sleeping (although, when not prego i always lay on my left side when i'm having digestion issues--yoga advice), just empathy!
#11 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Loriu. I feel the same way. Whatever paranoia or anxiety I felt during the first back seems to have come back round full circle. ( I was pretty relaxed during the second trimester ). I can't seem to have a meal anymore without wondering if I just fed my baby poison. I am just hoping my body does the right thing and knows to keep anything bad away from the baby and leave the good stuff for the baby.
#12 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 AM

well this pregnancy(8th total, 5th going close to/to term) i'm still most comfortable on my stomach... yeah i know weird...anyway previously and likley soon.. I would sleep, mostly toward my stomach but have a small pillow near my knee so the top knee can rest on it with my knee out to the side as far as it comfortably can go and the other straight.. i'd also put a small, often rolled, pillow behind my back, so when i roll in the night i wouldnt be flat on my back but i could lean toward my back if it seemed more comforable at eh moment.

Now i'm a all over the bed sleeper, have horrible sleep pregnant or not. I cant stand being flat on my back ever .. but if you like your back, the having a small pillow under your lower ribs toward your hip really keeps the strain off it, even slightly toward teh left is good if you dont like the feel of being on your side.

Body pillows are great fro keeping you inline if you feel you must sleep a certain way!

good luck! happy and restful sleep
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page