*~Another Weekly Thread April 23-29 ~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our last weekly thread for April Then it will be May, only one more month until our birth month I'm getting anxious, and I'm really gonna miss our weekly threads once we all deliver.

Whitewax: Feel free to vent if there is anything you need to get off your chest. I'll listen anytime. It's normal to have relapses and really bad days here and there, you're going through so much. I wish there were something I could do to make things easier on you.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Thanks...

I know what you're thinking about the MAY thing.... I was at my last MW appointment and I had to schedule one for 2 weeks...

the receptionist looked at her date book and said.. "ok how's May 3rd?"

How's may 3rd? HOW'S MAY 3rd?!?!?!?!??!? IT's IN MAY!!!! That's how May 3rd is!!!!!!!!!

After that I switch to weekly appointments....

Baby shower this sunday.... that will be nice.
#3 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Haha, my next appt is May 3 too and I was like "Holy crap, that's 2 weeks away?" LOL! It doesn't seen like May is next week.

I have that appt (May 3) and then my home visit.
#4 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Oh yeah...May is almost here.

I had my first prenatal with the midwives at the Birth Center today!!!!! I'm still on an absolute high that our OB referred us! They wanted to know if I needed more prenatal vitamins--they give them free. Had me answer a birth plan questionnaire that asked things like 'will you want to burn candles?' and 'would you like to take your placenta home or would you rather have it made into capsules?' Meanwhile the chief midwife has delivered over 200 sets of twins and good with breeches too so they've got experience to balance the crunchiness.

I'm in heaven.

More heaven is that DH is nesting. He repaired the ceiling, painted and cleaned the baby room. (Babes will sleep with us, but we decided to clear a room for all the stuff they've already acquired!)

Hope everyone's doing well.
xo
#5 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 PM

I am still hanging in there, my next MW appointment is tomorrow, I am 31 weeks and some days...
I am feeling tired and like I will NEVER get all the things done that I need to, but it will get done I am sure. My DH said, Sweetie the baby will not kow if not EVERYTHING is done, it will be ok...lol He is a doll..
I am measuring a bit large, but we were never sure of our dates anyway so who know...
All in all things are really good here, nothing other than what I am told is normal for pregnancy...

Smiles,
Steph
#6 of 74 Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM

MAY!?!?!? Gulp! Yoicks! Ack!

My next appointment is May 9th (I'll be 36 weeks!) and then it goes to weekly. The way my care provider does it is monthly, then every three weeks, then weekly...and at my last appointment the receptionist handed me a list of all my "future" appointments (instead of making them week by week). It wasn't such a long list...

The weather is sooooo nice these past few days, I hope it holds like this for a few weeks a least! Not too hot, not too cold, a nice breeze, sun with a few clouds...it's perfect!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 AM

I have my 34-week appointment on Wednesday - pretty crazy! This pregnancy started out so slow, but now it's sped up in a crazy way! My veins are so dark on my belly and boobs - I seriously look like I have a road map on my torso. And my nipples are so dark! My crotch is all puffy and my hemmorhoids are acting up, so I have to keep wiping with the soothing wipes : Oh, the joys!

I think we have a name picked out: Carys Lawson. Although, I'm still partial to Lawson as a first name, even though it's traditionally a boys name. It's a family name and I think it goes well with Ethan and Gaven (my 2 boys).

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#8 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 AM

My pregnancy furnace has been kicked into gear by this warmer weather! I just took DS to preschool--I drove, I didn't try to walk--and I am SWEATY! I had to change clothes because I'm working this morning. Sheesh! Yesterday was record-breaking heat (86 F) for Boston, but today is supposed to be 70-ish. Technically, we are required to wear closed-toe shoes to work (retail, bookstore) but I warned my boss that my shoes were getting tight and asked if he wanted a doctor's note saying I need to wear my Birkenstocks. I think I'm going to cheat a little and wear the sandals today because if I put on socks, I think I will boil and explode.

I've also realized that I no longer own nail polish remover. There is still a little spot of red polish on my big toes from a pedicure I got with my mom in DECEMBER. My feet look offensive. If I'm going to violate the safety-related dress code at work (bare toes), I think I have justification for a pedicure. I can barely clip my nails anymore, and they are weird-shaped from the contortions I did to reach them the other day, so I'm going to ask my MIL if she can keep DS for an extra hour after I work today!!!

Stinkily and ugly-toed,
--willo
#9 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Ooooh a pedicure! I haven't had a "real one" in more than a year and I haven't been able to "fake one" in months. My lips go numb and tingly if I bend over for too long! I can get polish on them and keep them trimmed, but a full foot treatment sounds yummy...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Mab

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in months (I think my last one was that 4 yo gap beteween kids thread, maybe i'm going to bump it to finally reply: ). I've been in a lurking mode, which I now regret because this DDC is so close to its end: I'm Tali /Mabel, from Buenos Aires, 32 weeks pg. I love these weekly threads, they give me a sense of preg community and now I feel the need to become more active here and actually participate Hope my delurking self can be welcome again!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I'm really gonna miss our weekly threads once we all deliver.
I wish the weekly threads can continue...kind of life with our june 07 babes club...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post

More heaven is that DH is nesting.
I love that DP is in full nesting mode also. We live in a tiny place and he's been building cool furniture for our bedroom and kitchen to make space now that we're almost 4 of us around and so crowded. We hope to move sometime during this year...but his nestiness and doing things in this place although we want out makes me

I have talked with my midwife and we are doing a second ultrasound in spite of my original plans of doing only one. The placenta was all low at 20 weeks...I know that by 32 weeks it has generally moved, but I just need to know if it has moved already. It's making me nervous. I'm visualizing it getting confy in one of the sides...I so hope it

Have a nice week everyone!
#11 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I highly reccomend treating yourself to a pedicure right now if you can. DP bought me a gift cert for one for my birthday and I used it this past weekend. It was so wonderful to have an hour to myself to just relax and read a book while getting my toes done. My feet feel a lot better now too, the amount of dry skin on them was ridiculous!

I've been sweating like a pig lately too. It is SO HOT down here in FL. It's been almost 90 some days I sweat just walking to the car

Mab: Welcome back out of lurkdom! Of course you are welcome to post here. I hope your u/s goes well.

Torio: that birth center sounds wonderful!! That is awesome that your DH is nesting, I have to force my DP to nest.

Is anyone else's DH/DP getting really nervous? Mine is. He's been obsessively reading "the birth partner" then looking even more horrified when he puts the book down. This is his first child so maybe that is why. I keep trying to reassure him that everything will be fine, but he's scared to see me in pain. I think he's also scared of having a HB too, and worried the MW won't make it in time.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#12 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM

I don't think my husband is any more nervous than usual. LOL But I know he's somewhat nervous. He's a lot more at ease now that he knows his main focus during my labor will be our son, not me. He just isn't the kind of guy who is capable of being good labor support, and we both know that now.

I'm feeling a million times better now, and to my suprise, the contractions have also eased up quite a bit lately too.

As of yesterday I have only a few things left on the to-do list, and those are things I can't do until the last week or so before full term. So I'm pretty calm at the moment.
#13 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Dh isn't nervous. Actually, I think I am more nervous about going from 2 kids to 3 kids than he is. He says it will all work out, just like it always does. I agree, but I still get into those panic modes at times. Although, last night he did make a comment about having a baby 3 months from now. I corrected him and said two months. He just kind of stopped. "Two months?" "Two months." Then he went into a discussion of what we need to get done this weekend.

I have been getting increasingly bone dead tired lately - to the point that I have to fight falling asleep during the day. Yesterday I finally realized that it was because I have been getting such poor sleep, tossing and turning and being very uncomfortable. So, last night I pulled out the guest pillows and added those. I slept MUCH better.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#14 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 PM

my next appt is may 1 and i'll be 36 weeks that day. eeeeeeeeeek! then i guess i start going weekly.

i am still nesting. i went through my totes of baby goods in the basement yesterday and washed the teeny clothes : my mom is sending me $ to buy a skip hop diaper bag so i can't wait to do that. i didn't like the bag i used last time...too floppy. i haven't bought very much new stuff for this babe so it seems fun

yesterday i bought cedar timbers to frame out a strawberry bed in the backyard. and a new trellis for a clematis. and 2 bags of compost and a bag of barkdust. my back was so sore. i only lifted the bags into the cart and got help getting them in and out of the car but still. tired my a$$ out!

i went to a diaper sewing class on saturday and learned how to make some adorable fitteds. so i spent the rest of the weekend sewing. i need to go buy some foldover elastic and then i can try to make some covers.

i am sleeping pretty terribly. lots of waking. peed 2 times last night : i hate that the most. our bathroom is downstairs and our bedroom is upstairs. total pita for my aching body i tell ya!
#15 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Baby had hiccups this morning!!! Or at least, it's the first time that I have felt it. Made me really happy.
#16 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM

#17 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 PM

I got my nails done. Okay, so I figured I needed to get a manicure, too, since my hands might feel bad with my feet so pretty...

It is a little bit self-indulgent, but I can't say that I'm sorry I did it.

I'm practically falling asleep at the keyboard, I am so sleepy today. Is there a yawning smiley? I'm too tired to look.

Does anyone know if it is safe to eat deli meat now? I mean, I know the listeria risk is fairly small anyway, but, if we got it at this point, would it trigger pre-term labor or still kill our babies?!?

--willo
#18 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM

i'm planning on a pedicure with the full foot massage when i get closer to the end. i went and got one on my birthday in march and the lady said she did the massage (reflexology) on a woman on her due date and she made it 2 blocks down the street before labor started. i told her 'i'll be back!'

vanessa - have you looked at the skip hop bags? i love the color choices and the durable fabric. they're kind of big but i need newborn supplies and my almost 3yo is PL so dipes, extra underwear and pants for him too. i guess i need luggage dash canvas is the one i want.

www.skiphop.com

my first diaper bag was a queen bee trucker bag (mine was much cheaper 3 years ago. i think i paid $50). but i think it is too floppy and not enough divided segments to organize things. cute though!

http://www.buyolympia.com/queenbee/B...ry=flappedbags

i eat deli meat : i also ate sushi a couple of weeks ago : :
#19 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Vanessa: I have the same probelm with getting back to sleep when I wake up to pee. I usually just try to convince myself that I really don't have to pee and try to go back to sleep. By the time I do get up to pee I am running full speed to the bathroom so I don't wet myself

Willo: I've heard that if the deli meat is heated to steaming then the (potential) bacteria can be killed. Both Subway and Quizznos heat their subs : I'll admit it, I went on an italian sub kick at the beginning of this preg and ate at both restaurants. I just had them heat my sub a little longer and things were ok for me.

I *think* the issue with listeria is that is causes an infection in your body that causes you to go into labor. But don't quote me on it, my source isn't too reliable, I saw it on an episode of Runway Moms :

I had some tuna sashimi a month ago too : I'm bad bad bad!

#20 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Count me in for the pedi club. I was given a gift cert for the holidays and have been saving it for the arrival of warm weather. Five days of sandal weather in a row...I think it might actually be thinking of turning into spring around here. But then, Massachusetts is so screwy that it might snow next week for all I know. 80 degrees to a blizzard in two days is not at all unheard of. (Someone remind me why I live here again?) My good friend also has a cert for a pedi laying around so I think I'll see if we can coordinate something. I have my shower on Sunday so maybe I'll see if they can squeeze the two of us in on Saturday...
#21 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 PM

How funny my next appt. is on the 3rd too. Then I think MW wants do the home visit, which means things are getting closer. I have so much to do still for the arrival of this baby, but right now my priority is packing and moving and then unpacking and settling, I can't wait to dig out those teeny tiny newborn clothes and wash them. Sleep is getting harder and harder, I guess it is time to get used to it though: I was so happy because I hadn't had any heartburn this time, and then BAM it hit like a ton of bricks, I can't even eat a banana without it rearing its ugly head. I treated myself to coffee this morning, bad idea, I should have known better Anyway doing pretty good, having a very strange craving, ICE! I can't get enough of it, I love to crunch it and I literaly think about it all the time! I am starting to wonder if it is a pica craving, but last I was checked my iron was fine, I think I will have to have it checked again though. Now if I was craving dirt or paint chips I would know it was pica, but ice is so strange. I need to gain wait too not drown myself in frozen water: Anyone else experienced this?

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#22 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 PM

P.s, I know I have misspelled words, but I am toatally dumb with the pregnancy brain these days, so hope you all understand.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#23 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Actually, Ice is a pretty classic "pregnancy pica" craving...so it's not that odd! One mama I know would literally drool at the thought of ice. it's not really anything to worry about but let your midwife know.

#24 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Well, I guess I don't have pica because I get hopping mad at the very thought of ice. I noticed on the hospital tour that I felt really incensed when the tour-guide/nurse pointed out the ice machine in the kitchen "where your partner can get you ice chips."

I wanted to smash that machine on the floor!

I'm not normally quite so violent... I think pregnancy gets me really defensive of my right to eat and drink. I believe I felt similarly last pg, too, and that's part of why I ate a bunch of chicken soup at home in early labor, kind of as defense in case someone at the hospital tried to deny me food.

Yet another example of my kookiness...

So, having eaten a turkey sandwich (unheated : ), followed by a cinnamon bun, followed by a bag of chips... is it wrong to go for a walk just because there is an ice cream stand by the beach where we will walk?!?

--willo
#25 of 74 Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 PM

You know, I wonder if you can get "nasal" pica?

For about the past week I have been absolutely craving certain smells (craving is the only word I can think of to describe the feeling). But not "normal" smells...instead my teeth practically ache with the desire to smell things like dust. Specifically chalk dust. And I want to touch it! I have to force myself not to rub the chalk dust from dd's art desk all over my hands! Which is totally insane since I HATE the feel of chalk dust! Actually, I hate chalk, period amen, but this past week....

I have no urge whatsoever to eat it, no urge to chomp down on any "abnormal/non-food" item. But smell and touch are getting out of control. I honestly crave the feeling/scent of chalk dust. And I'm finding excuses to clean really dusty things (like air filters and old rugs and the hepa filter in the vac) just so I can "accidentally" sniff away.

Anyone else have any funky cravings? I've never heard of anything like this, and I certainly didn't experience it last time!

#26 of 74 Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 AM

Well, I think you need to go right to the Dr and get yourself treated for your chalk-fancy, young lady! I'm actually totally into chomping ice. Yum. So refreshing and it doesn't fill my belly and give me heartburn like water does.

Anyone else especially gassy? I can clear a room with my stink

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#27 of 74 Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM

What a silly week!
Wombat... if you are in dier need you can certainly come over here... ther's more dust than you can handle!

Willo... I have been eating turkey subs allllllllll the way through... I can't help myself.... I did it with DD and by-golly, I'm doing it with DD2!!!! OH... and you have my moth melting for cinnabons!

Vanessa... I thought not being able to go back to sleep was just me!!! lol... well it might be me too, my mind starts racing and also, like a pp said, I keep laying there trying to ward off the urge to pee, but it just makes my sleep more broken in general. And sorry, no tips for keeping cool at a concert... tank top perhaps? Little hand held, battery operated fan?

I can't seem to find who said it, but to the person who's bedroom is upstairs and bathroom is downstairs... I AM SOOOO, SOOOOOOOO SORRY!!! That stinks!

HI MAB

And I was thinking about how much I'm going to miss the DDC too!!! I remember seeing a post about them closing the January DDC.... WHERE DO WE GO ???? IS there a place to set a up a Jun 07 babies thingy??? (do you like my technical terms?) I know I see most of you around the other boards here and there, but it would be so nice to keep in touch with you women in particular... I feel like we have grown so close and learned so much about eachother.

Ok... it's past 12 and I really should get to bed! G'Night everyone
#28 of 74 Old 04-25-2007, 03:38 AM

Willo- as for the cold cut thing, I heat deli meat to steaming (as per MW) & stick it in the frig for a few minutes (don't want a hot sandwich usually). I usually avoid deli meats when I am out. I think it's all overkill (like a lot of PG no-no's), but I am paranoid esp. since this is #1. The deli meat rule is a relatively new one, most older Moms I know never heard of this one & also never had a problem. Who knows someone who has had Listeria anyway??

Can I just say that I was so upset today? Between my aching joints, fatigue & swollen hands & feet I was practically in tears. Some days I feel like I have had one problem after another & like I should be happier & more grateful for being PG after 2 yrs of trying to conceive. I am really happy but it's hard work growing a baby. Not to mention that it's 1:45 am & I am still wide awake. Argh!!!!!!!!!

I also feel like I need to get more done, so much to do & not much time left. As someone said in a PP, PG was going slow & now time is just flying by. I also have this sense that I will go early, that could be wishful thinking though.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#29 of 74 Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
IS there a place to set a up a Jun 07 babies thingy?
I'm sure I've seen some "April Mamas" threads and stuff like that in the "Life With a Babe" folder! We should just all migrate over there once we've "graduated" and the mods lock the thread.

We've got our second prenatal class from Public Health tonight; the first session was in March, and it was all "eat fruits and vegetables, guys, remember that your girls are hormonal, and oh yeah, breastfeeding is good, m'kay?" so hopefully this session will be more useful. I guess the classes are handy for people who don't do the research like we did, but still! We're staying in them primarily for the hospital tours at the end, and the chance to network with other local new parents.

DH was really peeved last time, 'cause the teacher kind of laughed off his questions about dad-baby bonding. He's really looking forward to baby wearing and being super-attached, and he's been feeling a bit marginalized by the teacher's focus on mom-bonding and dads just being there to get sandwiches and make tea. I mean, we're eligible to take up to 30 weeks of paternal parental leave if we want to (I get 15 weeks automatically just for me, and we can split 35 weeks however we like between the two of us, even take it at the same time if we like), so obviously the government considers dads important too! Get with it, lady!

We'll see how it goes tonight. At least the classes are free.
#30 of 74 Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Good morning, everyone!

Wombat, I think I've heard other people describe smell-cravings like you mention. I can't remember where... Somewhere on MDC, I think, in the pregnancy area, maybe? No idea if it is related to pica. I think the women were just talking about something they'd experienced in the past, so no one was talking to their doctor about it now. I must say, you'd love DS's favorite recent hobby--dropping the chalk from his easel's tray and "accidentally" stepping on it to grind it to powder on my floor. : I hate to take away his art supplies, but it's pi$$ing me off! (I'm allergic to dust, and vacuuming is usually DH's job, but how can I leave little mounds of chalk dust everywhere!?!)

I'm supposed to have countertop-measuring guys here somewhere between 9 am and noon, and my contractor will be joining them around 10-ish. Finally! More action in the kitchen! I like to see things change in there!

I think this is our last "perfect" weather day for a few. Clouds and cooler temps are rolling in. I am totally willing to accept highs in the 50's, though, after the funky winter and soggy, miserable spring we've had thus far.

--willo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page