Belly shape and sex of baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a VERY round belly that pretty much sticks out, in other words I am carrying all in the front. Everyone comments on how I am probably having a boy. I carried pretty much the same with my ds and he was a boy. DH and I are hoping for a girl this time, I have had a very different pregnancy with this one and was hoping that meant I was having a girl, but am starting to wonder because of all the comments I get. Do you guys think that the shape of the belly really does indicate the sex of the baby? In other words if you carry like a basketball it's a boy, or if you carry like a watermelon then its a girl. For those of you who know the sex what is your belly like?

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#2 of 12 Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 PM

With my first pregnancy my belly spread out and was HUGE. It looked like I was carrying a sideways watermelon, and I had a boy. This time around my pregnancy is completely different, and my belly looks like a little basketball and is all out in the front, but I'm having another boy. I was convinced it was a girl because the pregnancy was so different and I am carrying so different.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 12 Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Not for us.

I am carrying almost identically with DS as I did with my DD.

Everyone made comments first time around that we MUST be having a boy - I was all out front - early showing - carrying high.

Nope, all girl! And this time I look just the same, and we're having a boy.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#4 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 01:03 AM

I was all out in front with dd (you couldn't tell I was pregnant unless you saw me from the side) and we don't know yet what this little one is, but I'm carrying out to the sides a TON this time! Everyone was sure that I was having a girl last time (because I was carrying high/low and showing a lot/not at all) and this time everyone is getting boy vibes. We'll see... I also know a lady who's had 4 girls and carried them all differently and another lady who's had 5 boys and she carried them all differently as well

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#5 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM

I tend to think how we carry our children is a poor indicator of gender.

I'm putting more stock in how differently I feel this pregnancy (totally different food cravings/aversion; morning sickness this time and none last time; horny last time and no sex drive this time...), but I'm not counting on getting the opposite gender this time.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would even "count on" ultrasound results. That's part of why I never wanted to know the sex. (I agreed to let DH find out this time, but the baby kept it all covered up! )

We don't have too much longer to wait to find out... :

--willo
#6 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM

I think part of the "luck" of baby gender guessing is the fact that you'll be right half the time! And those are actually pretty good odds.

I carry all out front...and everyone says "oh you're having a boy!". But the last one was a girl and I'm pretty convinced by the u/s that this one is as well. I think how you carry your babe has a lot to do with your own body shape/size/bone structure/genetics/etc...but maybe it's a sign that you're "feeling" different this time round?

I hope you have a happy surprise and Willo is right...not much longer now!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 PM

I have no previous pregnancy to compare this to, but I'm carrying ALL out in front. Though to be honest I've passed from basketball to beach ball to...is there a bigger ball? Our twins are boy/girl. The level 2 u/s was incredibly clear on gender--even a novice could interpret. We can even see our daughter's hair swishing about in the amniotic fluid. Our son appears to be mostly bald so far, but he did sport an impressive erection the last time we were scanned. Both of our babes get riled up during the u/s and our daughter is prone to kicking technicians.
#8 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Everyone thought I was having a boy based on my low and all in front belly with my first pg. We were all surprised when out came a girl!

This time, things are different but I'm carrying the same. I'm having a boy......well, my dh and mw are convinced they saw a penis. I'll believe it when I see it! I'm so ultrasound illiterate.
#9 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
...I've passed from basketball to beach ball to...is there a bigger ball?...
A birth ball?

--willo
#10 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
I tend to think how we carry our children is a poor indicator of gender.

--willo

I have always thought this too, seems so strange that people think that just because you look like a basket ball or a watermelon tells THEM what your having. I think that truely not knowing is a lot of fun, and the anticipation of finding out at birth is truely exciting. I can't wait, I am getting all baby anxious lately, well I don't want to get TOO anxious.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#11 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
A birth ball?

--willo
Willo,

Thank you! There IS a ball that's still bigger than my belly....for now.
#12 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I have a VERY round belly that pretty much sticks out, in other words I am carrying all in the front. Everyone comments on how I am probably having a boy. I carried pretty much the same with my ds and he was a boy. DH and I are hoping for a girl this time, I have had a very different pregnancy with this one and was hoping that meant I was having a girl, but am starting to wonder because of all the comments I get. Do you guys think that the shape of the belly really does indicate the sex of the baby? In other words if you carry like a basketball it's a boy, or if you carry like a watermelon then its a girl. For those of you who know the sex what is your belly like?
My data point offering: I'm on my fourth basketball pregnancy and I have 3 girls with a boy on the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page