Arg - feeling like worst mom ever! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-26-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been so careful with this pregnancy to not take any medication for anything - colds, flus, etc. Except...for one that my doctor told me to take a while back for a problem I've been having due to being on bedrest since 20 weeks.

So...today (WHY it took me so long to look up the info on the drug, don't ask!) I looked up the drug classification and it's a "C!" I'm just devastated. I know that if I wasn't on bedrest, I wouldn't need the medication for sure, but now I'm even second guessing whether I actually "need" it based on my current situation. What if I just went off of it? I would suffer for sure, but would there be enough time to minimize the damage to the baby? (I have eight weeks to go.) I feel like the worst mom ever!

Please tell me there's others out there who have had to be on dangerous drugs for one reason or another and their babies were fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM

I haven't personally, but, I wanted to just give you some encouragement.

I am sure that your doctor would not have advised you to take a medication, while pregnant, that was for certain to cause damage to your baby. Perhaps the potential side effects from the medication were not as dangerous as the potential benefits. Also, by 20 weeks, remember that your baby has finished forming & most of his/her major development has completed. After that 1st trimester, he's mostly growing & strenthening.

You cannot beat yourself up for not knowing or not asking - that's done. When you know better, you do better... so...

What you can do NOW is more research, talk to your doctor, talk to another doctor, and see if there are perhaps alternatives that you'd feel better about taking. I don't know what the medicine is doing for you, but if you think you would suffer by stopping right away, then don't. Do more research & talking to your doctors first, then make an informed, calm, decision.

Hugs to you!!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#3 of 6 Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Hupgs mama...how scary!

I agree with KS Mama though...by 20 weeks much of the bits and pieces are all put together and drugs or activities that may be dangerous in the early weeks are not as bad for the babe. Not great, I'm sure, but not as bad. Although I don't generally say something like this...well...they KNOW that you are pregnant and they selected this medication. I have to believe that they felt the benefits outweighed the risks.

And you're almost at the end...if the medication is helping you then that is VERY important. Your babe needs you to be strong and well for birth nd the days/weeks right after and if this medication is preventing pain and helping you stay strong then it's doing an important job.

Talk with or call your care provider tomorrow and ask them for the details. Find out what the options are. But don't beat yourself up over this.

Though I know that that's easier to say than to do! Especially when you've been so careful about everything and taken such good care of your babe already...but please try not to worry!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

(Update)

Thanks for the support everyone. I actually had an apt today with my midwife and she said I should stay on the medication...so I will...but not without tons of guilt!!!! She said the articles I was reading were for people who abuse the drug and take more than the suggested dose. Since I'm on the lowest dosage, she said that the baby should be just fine.

Even still...I just hate the feeling that you might be doing something wrong...
#5 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Please don't beat yourself up. Have faith in the opinion of your Dr & MW. Cat C means the benefits outweigh the risks & that sounds like the case here.

I was really sick early in T1. I ended up in the ER 2x for terrible asthma due to a bad cold (my normally strong immune system tanked in T1). I was literally up all night coughing for days on end & had a lot of trouble breathing. Not only did I have to use my inhaler way more than the recommended dose, I had to take Tylenol w/Codeine to control my asthmatic cough, which totally freaked me out. Tylenol w/Codeine is actually ok to take during pregnancy if needed, not ideal in T1 though. I have moments where I feel bad & hope no harm was done, but so far everything seems ok. I also think of all the women eating junk food, smoking & not taking care of themselves that have relatively healthy babies. Hopefully, my organic diet & otherwise good self care counts for something.

One of my MWs recently took a pharmacology class & brought up something interesting. Even the "dangerous" drugs, Cat X & such, create problems in only a small percentage of pregnancies. Not that you want to take an unncessary chance, but we are literally scared into thinking that one drop of any medicine will harm our babies & it's just not true.

Please take it easy on yourself. Think of all the good things you have done for your baby, have faith in your providers & you'll see soon enough that baby is ok.

Big Hug!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page