We're on deck! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
pjs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of course I want baby to wait at least 2-3 more weeks (34 weeks yesterday) to arrive, but we're next! Some of us June mamas will have our babies before some of the May mamas. Can't believe it!

I ordered my birth kit yesterday and went and bought new towels/sheets/washcloths and other hb supplies today. I also bought a bunch of method cleaners so dh can get the house ready! Let the final leg begin!
#2 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Isn't it so exciting?!! I alternate between being really excited and being on the verge of total panic. We're all gonna be doing this soon.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM

The first part of this pg went really slowly for me, but so far the third tri has FLOWN! It's hard to believe how soon these babes will be here!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#4 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 PM

It actually makes me wonder how many of the July DDC mamas are "lurking" in our month now!

After all, many of us have lurked the May DDC this past month waiting to see who went first, so it's only fair that July is lurking us.

I'm with you on the alternating panic/excitement though! While I want Roro to stay put another 2 weeks or so I also want her here in my arms right now. Mentally I know she needs to cook a bit more, and that juggling a newborn and a toddler is going to be a lot of work...but then I start thinking about cuddling a newborn, and about being able to stay home from work for a few weeks, and...well...

Sigh.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
...but then I start thinking about cuddling a newborn...

Sigh.
yes, i am so there with you. if i thought this baby would be ready i think i'm ready. i just can't wait to see her, and hold her, and have her here safe and sound. though i also know that i'm really going to miss being pg, especially since this is almost definitely my last pg, once she's here...

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#6 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
The first part of this pg went really slowly for me, but so far the third tri has FLOWN! It's hard to believe how soon these babes will be here!
I feel exactly the same way! I can't believe how sloooooooooooow the pregnancy was going at first. As I'm sitting here typing, the little kid is kicking and twirling around, just waiting to come out ... I'm excited!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#7 of 20 Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 PM

It's hard to believe!!!!! I **** need to buy the rest of my hb supplies. Actually, I am using all of our current towels and bed sheets and buying all new stuff!!!!! In 2 more weeks I am sure there will start to be posts here saying "our new arrival"!!!!!! We are in the final stretch!!! (No pun intended)
#8 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuug h!

I know most of you are a few weeks ahead of me, but I'm so not ready to be here yet! We don't have half our things - I was hoping we'd get the bath and breast pump and such at my shower, but all we got was (and I'm not ungrateful, they're lovely - but still!) tiny, tiny baby clothes. Like, preemie - 5 months tiny. So now Bean has a fantastic wardrobe, but not a lot else. (headdesk)

We don't even have the bassinet yet for beside the bed (family bed's not an option for us), or baby shampoo or butt paste or ... or... anything! And the car's in the shop until Friday at least because all the seals went on our transmission and our alternator is shot, so there's over $1,000 gone that we hadn't planned on spending.

DH keeps reminding me that all a baby really needs at first is clean clothes, somewhere to sleep (and he was in a dresser drawer for three weeks as a newborn), a dry bum and a boob, but I'm busy panicking. :
#9 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corri View Post
...I was hoping we'd get the bath and breast pump and such at my shower, but all we got was (and I'm not ungrateful, they're lovely - but still!) tiny, tiny baby clothes. Like, preemie - 5 months tiny. So now Bean has a fantastic wardrobe, but not a lot else. (headdesk)...
You really, really should try to exchange some of the tiny clothes for bigger ones, if you have ANYTHING with a receipt (or some places are pretty easy about it even without receipts, like Baby GAP.)

Your baby might be big (or cloth diapered?) and outgrow the tiny stuff within a month...

--willo
#10 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 AM

I wish! Nothing came with a receipt, or any info about what store it's from except for one fancy tourist store downtown that doesn't take returns (and that's one of the dresses we actually want to keep). That, and the worst "offender" (the one who bought preemie-size pants and a bunch of 0 - 3 month stuff) is my best friend, who'll notice immediately if Bean doesn't wear something. :

The worst of it is, my family makes BIG babies (my brother and I were both ~ 8 lb 12, 20+ years ago) and we chunk up fast, so Bean might be right into 3 month stuff by July. [sigh] Hopefully she'll take after her dad's side and be a compact little 7 lb-er.
#11 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Well, Corri, there's always eBay...

Could you say to your best friend, "Hey, I love what you picked but EVERYONE bought me tiny stuff. Can we go see if they have these in the next size up?"

--willo
#12 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM

I'm in total panic mode. I still have so much to do and so much to get. I tried to order the pool yesterday and they are out of stock until mid June.
#13 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
...Could you say to your best friend, "Hey, I love what you picked but EVERYONE bought me tiny stuff. Can we go see if they have these in the next size up?"

--willo
Very diplomatic--I love it

I alternate between panic and calm and relaxed. I think this kid is close to done cooking. If the amount of hiccups are any indication (six and seven times during waking hours!) the lungs are quite developed!
#14 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM

My SIL actually sent us RALPH LAUREN clothes for the babe. As in a cashmere sweater for a newborn (and a matching one for our 2yo)...and it's WHITE!

I don't own any "designer" items, and I certainly don't own anything as pricey as a cashmere sweater...and the idea of putting something like that on a babe who will immediately spit up or poop on it is just....just....ACK!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
My SIL actually sent us RALPH LAUREN clothes for the babe. As in a cashmere sweater for a newborn (and a matching one for our 2yo)...and it's WHITE!

I don't own any "designer" items, and I certainly don't own anything as pricey as a cashmere sweater...and the idea of putting something like that on a babe who will immediately spit up or poop on it is just....just....ACK!
While I wouldn't choose white, I do have a lot of very "fancy"/expensive (wool, cashmere, alpaca) sweaters for DS. Your wool allergy probably makes them seem more ridiculous to you, but we wear a lot of sweaters and I believe they are the most natural, healthy choice for our family.

I should also say that we don't treat these items as "dress-up" wear, but rather daily clothing. Wool actually brushes clean really well, as do the other animal fibers I've got. If it gets stained, well, it will still keep him warm. I keep my expectations really casual for these items--they are utilitarian first, luxurious second.

I'd guess the gift was sent by a "fancy" person, not someone like me, but, still, you could get some nice use out of a nice, warm sweater like that. It doesn't have to be all about the Ralph Lauren-ness.

Can you handle cashmere, or does it trigger your allergy?

--willo
#16 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Nope...can't handle cashmere. Can't really "do" any animal fiber products. Though I do have a few wool sweaters that I wear on beastly cold days...I just have to make sure I'm wearing enough layers beneath them and that the wool doesn't touch my wrists or neck.

It's more the thought of spending that much money on a product that is obviously not intended to be "lived in", you know? Regardless of how we intend to use it, it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on little kiddo items since they grow so fast. A cashmere sweater for a newborn born in early June seems a bit...well...it just doesn't make sense to me!

But SIL really is a great person...she just comes from a very different background than DH or I (she's DH's half-sib and they didn't grow up in the same household) with very different expectations of how children "should" be presented.

#17 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM

We are so not ready, but we will be. I am lucky DH is a teacher so by May 22 he will be home fulltime to help me finish things up. Plus we are going to hire a housekeeper for a one time REALLY clean cleaning...
I do not think I have everything I need, but to be honest I am not sure what all we really "need". For our shower we got several things, luck for us not too many clothes and the ones we did get were 6 mos+, we already had loads of clothes from friends who are done having kids. We have prefolds, might need more covers. Someone gave us a package of sposies to use until the sticky poop is over. My boobs already seem to be working. Blankets, bath stuff, sling...we have... Whatelse we need I do not know, but I am sure I will think of many things I HAVE to have before he gets here...lol

~Steph
#18 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM

I'm not ready. We have hand me down clothes, cloth diapers I've been collecting, and lots of stuff from dd, but I have no doubt there is stuff I don't have. But there are stores nearby and we'll get whatever we need after baby arrives, that doesn't stress me. My biggest anxiety is that dh isn't done with the bathroom remodel, its the masterbath, so the mess from it has spilled over into the bedroom of course. He hurt himself last weekend, so the remodel is going even slower now.

And I need to start getting together more of my homebirth supplies- but I just can't seem to get it in gear to complete that. I'm sure I will eventually.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#19 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM

I'll be 36 weeks this weekend!

I have been having some serious crampiness- feels like menstrual cramps- for the last couple days. wowzers! It actually felt hard to walk around the house this morning! I have one more week of work left, then I will be READY!!!!! I can't wait to meet the baby...and my only anxieties are:

my fridge is so dirty
and i am nervous my kids won't make the birth (cuz my labors are short and they could be at school and need rounding up?!?)

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 20 Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I'll be 36 weeks this weekend too !

Am I ready ??? Lol..we just settled with our final midwife, so yeah, that's a big relief. Our house/vehicle is still in the shop, but should be done soon.

As for clothes, well we have about (literally) 4 lbs of them we got for free from freecycle, including a free stroller, car seat a never used breast pump and nursing bras.

We still need to order bassinet, mei tai and cloth diapers. We have no cloth diapers at all, and may not have the money for them in time. We may have to use G diapers or (gasp) sposies the first week or so.

Am I freaking out a bit ? Yes, quite nervous about labour and how I will deal with the "sensations" of natural birth.~ Pixie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page