My babe likes it on the left.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby has pretty much resided on my left side for this entire pregnancy -- even now at 34 weeks! Anyone else had this happen? It just seems odd, even my m/w is kinda baffled as to why he/she never lays on the other side. I do get some kicks on the right, but the body stay on the left. It wouldn't be so bad if babe wasn't up so high in my ribs -- I need to have a talk and explain how much more room there is in the middle!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM

nadia, all my babies had a side preference. my first liked the left, and stayed there from about 26 weeks on. the next three all preferred the right side. i found that they would flip sides sometimes, usually after sex (!). and it would feel really wierd/wrong for it to be on the "other" side, and would flip back soon after. who knows why?!?

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Nadia, I'm 30 weeks and my babe has only liked the left side! I don't even feel movement on the right, the only movement is in the middle or down low! It's even hard to sleep on my left side as it's like trying to sleep right on the babe! Other than the brief time it was transverse with bum up high on the right it is alwasy lying on the left!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Mine is also constantly on the left since about 20 weeks. My placenta is anterior and offset to the right side, so that could be why. fwiw my midwife really likes to see 'em on the left - says it's easier for them to turn during labor.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Well, his back is on the left, but he's folded in half like a jack-knife. Hands and feet are right up next to his head all the time. I get tons and tons of quick movements in the botton right of the belly, and only big, whole body movements on the left. Guess he's just happy that way since he's been there since about 26 weeks.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Yep!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM

This one likes to be on my right side and does NOT like it when I lay on that side. If I lay on my right side for too long, s/he stretches and refuses to budge until it is really uncomfortable for me.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 PM

My first babe liked being on the right...she would ALWAYS kick in the exact same spot on my left side! (I put her little footprints on my belly cast right where she liked to kick).

This babe is almost always on the left though with her feet/hands banging away on the right side. I can tell her head is down since she gets a lot of hiccups, and she does every now and then roll over to the right side...but like pp said, it "feels wrong" when she does this and she usually moves back to the left within a few minutes.

My left side has been having a lot more problems then my right and I think it's because she's been putting so much extra pressure on that side/squishing the nerves on that side.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM

this baby is always on my right side. i keep trying to talk her into turning to the left side because i've heard that makes for an easier delivery, but so far she's not listening.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea this was so common! This is my third and the first two never had any real preference. My placenta is anterior on the right, so that may be helping the positioning. Silly babe seems very happy there, so I'll just hope he'she moves down a bit out of the ribs area!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 PM

Bean is almost always pressed up against my right side, like she's trying to burrow her way out that way! My right is the only side with hip nerve problems/sciatica, and I've got a really sore spot in my left ribs that I think is from her feet when she stretches. I sleep on my right mostly; I find it really tough to fall asleep on my left side for whatever reason. I wonder if that's what did it? My placenta's pretty much centre front, so I don't think that's got anything to do with it for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM

My babe has been on my left side facing toward the right for a long time. My MW told me that this is the best position for babe to be in because his chances of going posterior are a lot lower. It has something to do with your digestive system and the direction that babies generally turn in, if he were facing my left he would likely do a full turn to move down through my hips. I thought it was pretty interesting stuff.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Jilian, that is *very* good news about there being a lesser chance of posterior! My dd was posterior and back labor was not fun. My ds wasn't posterior, and labor was SOOOOO much easier! Hoping for a labor much more like the second!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
My first babe liked being on the right...she would ALWAYS kick in the exact same spot on my left side! (I put her little footprints on my belly cast right where she liked to kick).

This babe is almost always on the left though with her feet/hands banging away on the right side. I can tell her head is down since she gets a lot of hiccups, and she does every now and then roll over to the right side...but like pp said, it "feels wrong" when she does this and she usually moves back to the left within a few minutes.

My left side has been having a lot more problems then my right and I think it's because she's been putting so much extra pressure on that side/squishing the nerves on that side.
Wow! My experience is exactly the same. I was about to reply but would have written the exact same thing!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 AM

I have a lefty too! He's always on the left, but it's kinda weird becuase I feel his hiccups on the right.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"

User Tag List