NON-essential gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What non-essential gear do you have for this little one, and why?

The only non-essential thing I can think of that we have is a crib. We're committed to co-sleeping at night (as we did with the two previous wee ones), but my DD took all her naps in the crib, and it was comforting to know she was safe, and not rolling off the bed. So, we'll set up the crib.

I don't have a bouncy chair or play mat or swing, or cradle, or bassinet, or anything like it, and I'm wondering if I'll wish I had a place to put the baby down that's not on the floor : . I'm thinking of getting a Baby Bjorn Baby Sitter 1-2-3. We had one with DD, but I can't remember how much we used it.

And I think we're going to be out and about far more with this baby than the other 2, so I'm thinking about getting something like this: http://store.babycenter.com/product/...d.do?asc=false for the pool and beach.

I'm going to buy an organic sheepskin to move between the family bed, crib, and any other baby lounge spot, but I don't think of that as a non-essential
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The only essential gear we needed was a new car to fit everyone and new carseats since the older kids' had expired.

But- I already have a 6 and 4 year old who don't sleep through the night, so I really want these kids to sleep! We got a crib and a bassinet (both used) and have them set up. I bought two nice sheep skins and two flannel lined silk blankets. I'm trying to set up a cozy little nest for them. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold out before I end up with them in my bed, but I'm going to try. : Maybe since they have each other it will work? I also have two taggies, since I'd like for them to have an attachement object other than me. (another : ) Time will tell- my DP just laughs at what I've got planned (and the money I spent: ) since she knows I'll always fall asleep nursing before putting the babes back in 'their' sleep spots.

Hey- when they are older they'll have nice sheepskins and snuggly blankets for their dolls.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM

i don't even have the essentials yet!:
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM

For non-essentials I have:

A swing - when DS was a baby he would only let me put him down if he was swinging, it was a sanity savery on many late nights

A bouncer seat - to put the baby in when I take a shower or cook dinner

A crib - It's actually DS's leftover and he may have used it twice. I'm hoping this baby at least naps in the crib

A pack and play - This is leftover from DS, again maybe used twice. I have it next to my bed for a late-night changing station. It will probably just hold diapers and wipes.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 PM

crib and bouncy seat.

I admit, the portable crib isn't non-essential since I'm guessing that's where this little boys is going to sleep. Both DH and I are addicted to our feather bed and pillows and have an impossible time sleeping without them. I also freeze without blankets up to my neck. Not a good bed for a baby. At least with the portable, he can be right next to us.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 PM

It's hard to say before the bab what will be "essential" Last time someone gave use a little bouncy chair and I saw no point to it until dd was about a month old. And then it become one of the most used items in the house! It was literally the ONLY thing dd would nap in...I was recovering from surgery and couldn't sling her as much as I wanted and she loved being in the sling but would fight sleep for hours when in it. Sit her in the bouncy seat though and she'd be out within a minute!

I don't know if this one will be similar, but I've pulled out that bouncy rocker chair and we'll see what happens.

Let's see...I do have a number of cute little stuffed animals people have given us and those are totally non-essential. And we have a baby bath tub (not an essential, but handy to have IMO).

We have a pack n play but I'm putting that in the "essential" category since it's going to double as a diaper changing table and a place for Roro to nap that is out of her big sister's reach. Laia (our first) napped anywhere, including on the floor, but I know that with a toddler running around the floor is NOT going to be a good place to plop a sleeping baby!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 AM

I bought a wrap to carry her in when I was busy.....they love it.
I bought my wrap from
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5020102

and she even has instructions how to use it....

http://www.geocities.com/mickiswing/...rapsindex.html

I am very much looking forward to doing this and not having a HUGE double stroller, or even one.....I hate how bulky and impresonal they are...

Miriam
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
And we have a baby bath tub (not an essential, but handy to have IMO).
You know, because my babe was a constant needs holding baby, the baby bathtub worked great as a transitional space in the bathroom for me - I'd put her in that (dry, lined with towels), then I'd climb in the tub, then reach over & bring her in with me. Reverse for after our bath. It was much safer, IMO, than carrying her in/out of the tub, particularly when wet.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 PM

When your baby is tiny, as long as you don't have a toddler running around, I don't think you'll be wanting for a place to put her down. But perhaps when she gets a bit heavier/bigger. Also, when you're cooking, its safer to have a place not on your body right by the stove to hold baby, IMO.

We have a swing that DD NEVER used. We put it in her once, didn't work... but I guess this is one of those things we'll hold on & see what kind of movement DS likes. DD needed to be in-arms & moving constantly. Up & down. DH & I had GREAT quads!!!

Bouncy chair we thought was useless until about 4 months or so... we were able to finally put DD down for a MOMENT while we were eating - we'd set it up on the couch between us, and we'd take turns one handed rocking the seat, other hand eating. Before that point she just flat-out hated the bouncy seat or anything that wasn't holding her upright. We'll bring this one down from the attic for sure.

I used to nurse DD down in the middle of our bed & roll away, but with an occasional still-napping toddler, this wouldn't be safe... so the pack & play would be good for when DS is not nappnig on me. Again, DD didn't use it hardly at all, but I really think you never can tell from one baby to another.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM

It's downright scary how much non-essential stuff I have. I have a bouncy seat, a swing, a pack&play (which will be our bassinett and changing table for the first couple months), a port-a-crib (which will be the baby's bed in our room for the remainder of the time that he/she sleeps in our bedroom), a regular crib for when the baby moves in with DD (probably sometime between 6 months and 1 year depending on his/her needs), at least 10 different carriers, way too many clothes, a baby gym, and an obscene number of diapers. : And the number of toys and such we have for the kid is truly mind boggling!

I guess the Pack-N-Play and cribs are not totally non-essential as cosleeping really didn't work for us with DD. Nobody slept well when we tried it, and DH nearly squished her numerous times. We all did better with a few feet between the beds. I expect things to be similar with this one, but you never know.

A lot of this is left from DD because we knew we'd be having another and held onto most of her stuff. We really used a lot of it with her, though, and I expect I'll be glad to have it with this one. As this babe outgrows things I'll be selling or giving away the vast majority of the stuff, though. We're not planning to have more, and I'd like to see these things get used by someone else. Not to mention that I'm looking forward to getting them out of my house! Keeping all that stuff takes up an awful lot of space.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
When your baby is tiny, as long as you don't have a toddler running around, I don't think you'll be wanting for a place to put her down. But perhaps when she gets a bit heavier/bigger. Also, when you're cooking, its safer to have a place not on your body right by the stove to hold baby, IMO.
I agree. It wasn't something I thought about for my first, or even my second (as my first was a mellow toddler). But I now have two wild children who like to chase each other around the house : so I'm definitely thinking about protecting the wee one
Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM

I have to say that, unlike the previous two posters, I really *needed* somewhere to put DS down occasionally. I wore him in the sling a lot, and held him almost constantly, however:
* I never found it comfortable to have him in the sling while I used the toilet
* I must shower every day or I feel really uncomfortable
(so I used a moses basket in the hallway or next to the tub while I was in the bathroom)

And, downstairs, I had a bassinette so that I could set him down while I was in the kitchen (I'm barely comfortable cooking WITHOUT my baby strapped to my torso!) or to run to the front door or something if I'd been holding (as opposed to slinging) him.

Now, I still agree that almost everything is NON-essential, because one can get by with nothing but boobs (God-willing you don't have my supply issues!) and something to wrap the kid in for warmth. But having a safe place to set the baby down is AWFULLY nice, and would be even more important for anyone who had a c-section and couldn't comfortably use the floor.

--willo
Old 05-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Pets are a big issue, too, when it comes to setting down a new babe. My dog means well, but she doesn't always know where her paws or tail are at any given moment. Leaving the baby on the floor while I run to get the door was never an option with her in the house.

And I don't entirely trust DD, either. Granted, she may be fantastic with the new baby, but I can just as easily see her being fairly careless with her new baby brother or sister. A safe place to put baby off the ground and out of easy reach of pets and siblings is definitely a good thing. I just posted as I did because I had so many of them! I'd call at least one essential for any household with pets and/or older kids.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
* I never found it comfortable to have him in the sling while I used the toilet
* I must shower every day or I feel really uncomfortable
(so I used a moses basket in the hallway or next to the tub while I was in the bathroom)
Oh me too, for sure! That's why I kept the baby tub with towels in it in the bathroom... but... my DD screamed literally whenever you put her down, so I really couldn't shower or bathe without her until she was old enough for a jumparoo... AH, a LIFESAVER in the bathroom. I finally got to shower without holding a baby!

But you're so right, there are particular times when, at least for a few moments, its more safe to put your baby down (i.e. getting in/out of shower & cooking).

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM

We were given hand-me-downs for most of the gear we've got so although some of it is stuff I'd never buy, we're holding onto it to see what works for us. I felt fairly confident that I wouldn't need much for one baby, but two is gonna be a new adventure.

My wish list is a super comfy rocking chair (does anyone else think those gliders are ugly?) and some post-partum massage.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM

Reminded me ... I need to get my swing and my pack n'play back from my relatives (different ones!). I will use the swing but likely not the pack n'play (have had it since #1 and used it maybe 5 times).

I did buy a few things today that I will hopefully not need much of
- Size 1 diaps (won't be newborn for my kiddos)
- 6 cans of ready to feed formula (I ended up in the ER about 6 days post-partum with #1 with mastitis on IVs for 6 hours, shaking with fever - I couldn't even stay awake to feed the baby so I left her a home with my mom with formula). I did this the last time and gave it all away to the food bank (peace of mind for me)
- a new baby bath 'holder' thing - inclined mesh baby bath thing - my current one is looking a bit old so for $5 got a new one
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It's hard to say before the bab what will be "essential"
ITA! We have a swing and bouncy because DS loved both, but who knows what this kid will like.

To answer the question? Four carriers. LOL! Two pouch slings, a ring sling and an Ergo. But I have use for all four.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
i don't even have the essentials yet!:
Ditto...... I usually put everything off for the last minute
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM

I used my bouncy seat with dd#1 so I could get a shower. We just have a clear shower liner up and I would set her up in her bouncy on the bathroom floor and she would be entertained while I got clean! It worked great. We also used it when we started feeding solids around 5-6 months, as she wasn't able to sit up in a high chair on her own.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Here's a non-essential that is amazingly useful--a CEILING FAN!

We were amazed at how long DS would stare at a spinning ceiling fan as a little baby, and I heard from others in my mothers' group that their babies seemed equally entranced.

If we hadn't just replaced the light fixture in DS's nursery, I would have put in a ceiling fan when he was about 2-3 months old to buy more "peaceful" time (for showers and such) in his crib.

--willo
Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Here's a non-essential that is amazingly useful--a CEILING FAN!
That's too funny! DD loved our one and only ceiling fan too...it was one of her first ASL words actually. She still points them out to us when we're out and about.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
My wish list is a super comfy rocking chair (does anyone else think those gliders are ugly?)
Well...sort of But I couldn't put a price on the wonderfulness of my glider rocker. Mine has fully padded arms, pockets on the sides for books and lip balm, and a nursing footstool built into the ottoman. Pure nursing heaven. I couldn't possibly estimate the hours I spent in that chair with babies 1 and 2.

User Tag List