I've got the flu! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post here alot but I realize that right now I really need some suggestions from more experienced mamas. i'm not even sure if I should be posting in this forum, but I'm due in June and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

I caught the flu from my nephew this past weekend. yucky. no fun at all. yesterday I couldn't eat anything because it was just coming right back up...maybe TMI?

Today I feel alot better and i'm trying to figure out some easily digestible foods to eat that will provide good nutrients for the baby...like protein and calcium...

Anyone dealth with the flu during their pregnancy? Any thoughts on keeping me and the baby healthly while I can't eat very much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Sorry you're sick. Just eat whatever you can right now. Soup broth, soups, OJ, and whatever else you can manage to get down. Emergen-C might help. Extra vitamin C can help get you better, you can take 2000 mg in addition to your prenatal (maybe even more). Throat coat tea helps with sore throat and coughing and you can take it while pregnant.

I hope some of this helps and I hope you are feeling better soon. Being sick and pregnant is really hard

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 4 Old 05-10-2007, 06:38 PM

I'm so sorry mama!

I've been fighting a chest cold for almost two weeks now so I know exactly how awful being sick in the third trimester is!

Since it sounds like you've got tummy woes to deal with, I'd suggest soups and broths. Things that are gentle to the tummy and not too bad coming back up. If you develop the "runs" the best cure is the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) since those are all good foods to help slow down the bowels. And of course yogurt!

Elderberry syrup (like Sambucol) is good for a cough or for respitory health and is okay for pregnancy. Hot lemon and honey is soothing and helps heal the throat as well. I've also been freezing plain yogurt mixed with cranberyy juice (using a little popsicle freezer thing) and it feels wonderful to suck on these. It soothes my throat but I bet it would be a good way to get some protien and "food" into you slowly so as not to upset your tummy more.

If the vomiting get's too bad there's a really nasty product called Emetrol that is safe for use during pregnancy. But honestly...I'd rather puke! But if you're worried about staying hydrated and the tea, water, juice, broth, etc just wont stay down it's something to try (and DH doesn't seem to mind the emetrol taste as much as I do, so maybe it wont be as ick for you!).

I hope you feel better soon!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much mamas! i've been using some of your suggestions and am feeling much better today.

wombatclay - i hope you feel better soon too. being sick now is so not fun.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page