Prodromal labor support thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd start a support thread for those of us who go in and out of labor. I've officially entered prodromal labor, today for over 4 hours I had regular contractions 5 mins apart. They weren't very strong but they built in intensity and started lasting longer - then they died off when DS came home from a day on the boat w/my mom. I did get a little excited and so did DH, even though we tried not to. I'm trying to remember that every little bit of labor is progress and not get discouraged - but it's hard. I'm only 37 weeks so this could go on for another 5 weeks

How are all the other prodromal labor mamas holding up?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Yay!!! I'm so relieved to see this thread where I can hang out for the next few hours (days...weeks...month?). I've been in and out of prodromal for 2+ weeks now. Today is the most serious so far - ctx all day long 5-6 min apart, but totally ignorable and not progressing. But tiring. And I'm suddenly on a mega-mucus production kick. I'd just like to sleep well tonight, and then my little man can arrive. Today I'm 37 weeks and today was my Blessing Way, so now I'm totally ready to accept him.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#3 of 64 Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

2 weeks?! Maybe we'll get lucky and be one of those mamas who says "I wasn't sure if I was in labor or not and when I was checked I was 10 cm" Are you doing anything to encourage labor? I haven't yet but I might start next week when I hit 38 weeks.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 64 Old 05-13-2007, 02:50 AM

i guess i'd belong here. i had a pretty quiet day, though i did have a good run of contractions that actually got worse when i climbed in the tub instead of getting better like usual?!? thing is i'm only 35 week so i could have SEVEN more weeks of this. ugh!!! my first came at 38 weeks and my second at exactly 37 so hopefully i'll just have a couple more weeks, or even better hopefully the ctx will settle down until closer to baby time. they can be so tiring!!! thinking of each of you!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#5 of 64 Old 05-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Mab

i have a dumb question: can it be prodromal labor at 35 weeks? i guess i don't quite get what prodromal labor is. I feel very, very , very crampy, as if I was going to start my period. I also feel nauseous, but don't have regular contractions, just my usual here and there braxton hicks. I'm knitting in the couch since I woke up and drinking water. I know whatever it is is good, uterus practicing, etc, just wanted to undertsand the terms
#6 of 64 Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 AM

I think it could certainly be prodromal labor at 35 weeks, cause that is when mine started. It is so weird. Somedays I feel like I could be pregnant for another 4-6 weeks, and sometimes I'm not certain I'll make it through the night. I didn't have any of this with DD...so it is all very new. Actually, each of my episodes of ctx so far have felt EXACTLY like my labor did with DD (early labor), so it has been very confusing. And tiring. Today was pretty chill. I took a 3 hour nap too.

I'm not doing anything major to encourage labor. I kinda figure when it is really time, it will get going. I do have a toddler, so am not really able to rest as much as I would like to. I'm continuing to take my herbs and stuff and making sure that I stay hydrated and well fed. DH and I have had a little action lately...but nothing has come of it. I'm kinda glad it it holding off. I totally agree with Jilian - I'd love to be one of those moms that doesn't think it is labor until like 30 minutes before the baby is born. Actually, talking to my mom today, I learned that my brother's birth was exactly like that. She had lots of pre-labor stuff then a sporadic early labor, then dilated from 3-10 cm in 10 minutes and out came my bro. Ooooh, I hope I get just a hint of that.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#7 of 64 Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post
I'd love to be one of those moms that doesn't think it is labor until like 30 minutes before the baby is born. Actually, talking to my mom today, I learned that my brother's birth was exactly like that. She had lots of pre-labor stuff then a sporadic early labor, then dilated from 3-10 cm in 10 minutes and out came my bro. Ooooh, I hope I get just a hint of that.
That's sort of how my labor went with my second. My water had broken in the afternoon so I knew I'd be having a baby sometime soon, but the contractions hadn't really kicked in. I went into the birth center to get antibiotics and had them check me before I went back home to get some sleep (ha ha). Well I was 4cm when they checked and DD was born 30 minutes later. I have to say it was a bit of a roller coaster ride and in the end when I was holding DD I was still very disoriented and couldn't quite figure out what had happened. I'd do it again over a long drawn out labor like my first though.

As for prodromal labor-land I had a rough day today. 3+ hours of ctx 3-5 minutes apart and nothing I tried slowed them down. Finally fell asleep for a nap and when I woke up they had spaced out. I can't wait until I hit 37 weeks so I can stop debating if/when I should call the midwives and just wait it out knowing that if it's the "real thing" that is okay...unlike now when the baby would be a preemie and have to be born in the hospital. Just 10 more days to 37 weeks. Actually, I only have to get to Thursday (36 weeks) to be cleared for a homebirth so that's not too long I suppose.

Thanks again for starting this thread. Nice to know there are others going through the same thing, well not that I want anyone to have painful ctx for hours on end, but it's nice to not feel alone, yk?

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#8 of 64 Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 PM

DEFINITELY nice to not feel alone.

So now I'm on my 3rd solid day of loose bowels - at least 10/day. How long can that go on before you poop out a baby??? I have a new sympathy for newborn tushies - 10 loose stools a day is really uncomfortable down there.

#9 of 64 Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM

i had this with both of my previous daughters, and fully expect to be posting in this thread in a couple of weeks! (im only 35 weeks now, so i dont expect it to start until 37/38 weeks)

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#10 of 64 Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

OMG, 3 straight days? That has got to be painful! Isn't it crazy how you can have all these signs of impeding labor and then nothing comes of it?

I've been using the contractions as a way to practice really relaxing my pelvis and being aware of my body. I like the practice. If I can completely loosen up I can actually feel the baby's head putting pressure on my cervix and I can feel my cervix doing something. I never got to feel this with DS so it's interesting.

I agree that it is tiring. I cannot nap during the day because DS does not nap and most days I am exhausted by 2 from all of the contractions. Last night I had a MAJOR back-labor contraction that took my breath away and scared me a little. Today I've been really focusing on making sure the baby is properly positioned and I think he is now.

I'm glad this is all somewhat normal, it's nice to have a few other people to talk to who are going through the same things.

#11 of 64 Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

Not quite prodromal, and still a few days shy of being full-term (I have 9 days to go, but who's counting...)

I woke up with contractions this morning. Literally... I was WOKEN UP by one. They were very sharp and intense for about the first two hours I was up this morning. It's fizzled down to cramps now, thank goodness. I think I was just dehydrated. It was really hot here yesterday, and humid. And DH didn't want to turn the A/C on. Next time I'm going to turn it on anyway.
#12 of 64 Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Well, the loose bowels are firming up a bit, but now I'm losing a little bit of mucus plug here and there. And ctx have intensified and gotten deeper in my pelvis, but now they are TOTALLY unorganized. I had a MW appt today and she thought this could possibly be the day, or it could (obviously) be weeks. Greeeeeeeat. :

#13 of 64 Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

What does everyone do with their other children while dealing with prodromal labor? This is the hardest part for me. Some days the cramping gets really intense and I'm nervous about traveling too far from home with DS, so we stay in. DS is an outside person and likes to play outside. I feel really guilty for not being able to take him out as much as usual.

#14 of 64 Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM

we have a fenced backyard that i can see from a couch and i've been known to send the girls out (only together not alone) there to play when i need to lay down and don't want them to see me hurting. luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, most of my worst contractions happen at night so i'm not getting much sleep, but the kids also aren't awake when i feel my worst. the last few days though i've started having more contractions during the day too. i can't believe i could have 6 more weeks like this!!!

edited to add: Anyone have any words of advice for me on how to handle the "down" days (down as in mood not in a lack of contractions). I've been up so much at night with frequent and getting to be painful contractions. I'm exhausted during the day, but mostly my problem is I feel like a "failure". I know that I don't want to meet this baby yet (I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow and I'd like to make it until 37 weeks), but I can't stop feeling like all these ctx should be doing something and leading somewhere and as much as I don't want to meet baby yet, I do feel like a failure for having so many ctx that don't lead to a baby...does that make any sense?!? Anyone else ever felt that way? What did you do to turn things around? TIA!

#15 of 64 Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Yesterday I was uncomfortable enough that I asked DH to stay home until DD's naptime. If I hadn't done that, I just would have stayed home with her. I couldn't have handled anything else.

In other news, I'm sorta thinking I might be on the verge of the real thing here. I lost a HUGE mucus plug this morning...like nothing I've ever seen before (and I saw my plug with DD too). Loose stools are back, and I've got that aching cramping that is coming in waves...I'm currently trying to time it. We'll see. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow...maybe a week I guess?

#16 of 64 Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post
In other news, I'm sorta thinking I might be on the verge of the real thing here.
Oh how exciting!!! Wishing you all the best for when baby decides to make an arrival!

#17 of 64 Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Christine, how exciting! I hope this is it!

MomtoKay I completely know what you mean. I've been having contractions for so long now and my cervix is a little soft and maybe a fingertip dilated. It's frustrating because I'm going through all of this work and it feels like it's all for nothing. I'd like to stay pregnant for at least a few more days (or another week) but I feel dissapointed that I haven't at least dilated a bit.

#18 of 64 Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM

No more prodromal for me. Real labor has come and gone (and I thank the prodromal labor for making my real labor only 7 hours long...MUCH better than the 17 hours from last time).

See my announcement in the announcement thread.

#19 of 64 Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 PM

oh christine, congratulations!!! i hope to following your footsteps about a week from now when i hit 37 weeks. off to read your birth announcement!

#20 of 64 Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats!!!! I'm off to read your announcement! I hope to graduate from this thread soon too.

I've found that each time I have a false start it is stronger than the last false start. I'm hoping that this is a sign that things are progressing and real labor will be here soon. Now contractions seem to be coming every day

#21 of 64 Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 PM

feeling very crampy this morning, but oddly enough yesterday and today the contractions have been waaaaay less than the week or so preceding...here's hoping it's the "calm before the storm" and that baby comes as soon as i hit 37 weeks.

jillian, thanks for the commiseration! it is nice to know that even though my feelings make little sense some one else understands. i so hope it's the realy thing for you soon!!!

#22 of 64 Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi ladies. I guess I'm going to join this thread now. 1st, a little info: I'll be 36wks on Mon. This is baby #2. DD was born at exactly 37wks. My water broke at 3 am with her, no ctx just low backache until I went to the hospital. I never had any other symptoms. All babies in my family seem to be born early (me and 2 sibs were a mo. early, mom is 1 of 4 all early) so I don't really expect to carry baby past 38wks. I lost part of my mucus plug about a wk and a half ago and had lots of discharge/mucus lately. Last night I had pink streaked mucus followed by a crampy feeling for awhile with low backache. I thought it might be labor but nothing yet. I haven't had any ctx other than braxton hicks the last couple of wks but I didn't have any w/ dd either. Maybe it'll happen soon though.
#23 of 64 Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM

Huh. I wish I could join this thread. I keep hoping that I'll have prodromal labor...but....nothing.

The best I can muster up is some loose stools and producing lots of "stuff" down there. I don't *think* it is my mucous plug. Plus, the baby isn't even engaged yet...and I would think that would need to happen first, right?
I thought about checking my cervix myself (since I passed my GBS test) but, I haven't gotten up the courage to feel a tight hard cervix yet.

I can't feel my braxton-hicks, I mean, unless I walked around squeezing my belly all day, so I don't know what is going on in there.

I see so many people that seem like they are going to go into labor early...I suppose I'll be the holdout to even everyone out.
#24 of 64 Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cersha View Post
I see so many people that seem like they are going to go into labor early...I suppose I'll be the holdout to even everyone out.
I'm thinking I'll be the DDC fakeout that will stay pregnant for another month.

I lost a few pieces of mucous plug today, had the spotting, but no contractions.

#25 of 64 Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM

I just posted a similar thread! So glad it's not just me! I guess I had never heard of prodromal before. I just assumed I'd start having noticeably different contractions and 12-17 hours later, there is baby! NOT! I've had terrible contractions radiating from uterus to lower back since Friday night. No progress whatsoever. I too, like Jilian am trying to use them as practice, but they are literally keeping me awake at night. I haven't really slept since Thursday night...so tired...not due for weeks...when will it end?!
#26 of 64 Old 05-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Neve. I replied to your other post. I was never so tired as when DD1 was born. I hope your ctx start to ease up or become more productive soon.

As for me, I had my first "is this it?" night last night. I had really strong/painful contractions for about 2 hours in the middle of the night. They never really got organized though, I'd have a couple 3 minutes apart and then the next one 8 minutes apart. It was pretty exciting, but totally fizzled out and here I am still pg. Probably just as well as I'm still not cleared for a homebirth. I thought it was 36 weeks, but apparently in our state it's supposed to be 37. Sigh.

Oh, and I've had a change of heart and can finally look at all this practice as productive and hopefully shortening my actual labor when the time comes instead of as a waste of time. I'm planning on resisting any cervical checks because I know I'll be crushed if my cervix hasn't changed at all. I'll just live in my happy world where these must be doing "something", right?

Thinking of each of you! Can't wait to hear those birth stories.

#27 of 64 Old 05-21-2007, 02:33 PM

I've been having contrax on and off for 3 weeks. Can someone please tell me what is with the Nausea? I feel sooo ucky. I had my massuse work on my reflex points this am. Nothing going on though.
#28 of 64 Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if the nausea is from all the contracting? I get it too. Maybe our stomachs are getting shaken up with all the uterine action?

Last night brought some more contractions for me, I had a really hard time staying asleep. Today they are more spaced out. Baby is all over the place, LOA then ROP, then god knows where. I wonder what he's up to in there? I hope he's trying to fit into my pelvis and find the exit!

#29 of 64 Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Oh Jilian I hope that's what these guys are up to, too. I find myself saying what are doing in there a couple times a day.
#30 of 64 Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM

I still haven't gone into labor yet but I've been having menstrual-like cramps off and on since yesterday. What is that? I never did any of this with DD. Anyone else have these cramps or know what's going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page