~Weekly Thread *** May 21-27~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 05-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home from Pirates! Much good pirate fun...yummy actors, yummy costumes, yummy music, yummy everything!

Okay, so they could have trimmed a few minutes here and there and made the film better (or at least tighter and shorter, which if you're a seriously pregnant mama trying to get comfy in an old movie theatre seat is a GOOD thing) but overall a thumbs up for Pirates III. I just wish that for a 3 hour movie I could have had a slightly cushier seat! I did manage to go the whole movie without a potty break though and that was one of my goals.

Roro had a few "comments" about some of the louder sound effect sequences, but over all she seemed happy, I was happy, and DH was happy. So yay for movies that make the day fly by!

Right now DH is upstairs finishing up a few of the smaller "chores" on my pre-Roro list, and our photos arrived from Snapfish so I can work on Laia's photo album...so on top of a fun day I think the pre-roro to do list is going to be significantly shorter by this evening.

Several months ago I "decided" that I would go into labor on the 27th and have Roro on the 28th...I wonder how/if that might actually work out? Can't wait to see!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#92 of 106 Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Hello everyone--

I think today's heat was slightly more tolerable than yesterday's heat, so there's something to smile about!

Wombat-- I think it is just hard for me to justify spending any money anymore! Truthfully, I could be a wasteful spender or I can be a cheapskate (like I am now)--mainly, it is my DH's very frugal ways that have led to our mostly very good decisions. Our only debts now are mortgage and one car loan, which I'm quite proud of, since I manage our finances and we have only the one income since DS was born! I feel very proud of how we've accomplished that and other financial goals... but I have some guilt (obviously about spending any money, like on this remodel! I think I'm afraid it is a slippery slope and I will spend all we have now that I've started. IT IS SO MUCH FUN TO DO THIS STUFF TO THE HOUSE! Oh, swoon!

Jenny-- I've got to say, I actually like Almonzo, like Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband.

We don't have names picked out this time, either. Last time, we had a list by now. This time, we're flakier! Although, this time, I had that dream where the baby's Hebrew name came to me, so we do have that, at least.

I woke up at 2:30 am last night and couldn't sleep, so I gave up and got up around 4 am and cleaned house. At least it was cooler then, and we are having company tomorrow and I went to bed pretty upset at the chaos. I got back to sleep around 5:30 am and DH watched DS so I slept a few hours. I had a rest around noon (just dozing, no sleep), then got revved up and cleaned out the bathroom cupboards and purged/organized/dusted the shelves in there (so filthy! so embarrassed!), then took a second shower and fell asleep with DS around 3 pm for an hour.

So the house is somewhat more presentable. DH had DS help him pick up the toys downstairs and then he (the big guy) vacuumed, so the worst of downstairs is tackled. I got the dining room (aka "temporary kitchen") tidied in the middle of the night, and got it wiped down with a fresh tablecloth this afternoon, so that's ready for human occupation again. DH carried all the scads of crud from the upstairs hallway to various places, mostly appropriate ones, though the library is back to being a bit of a dumping ground, but one with curtains we can pull to hide the yuck! A good scrub of the toilet and sink, and I think I will be able to let our friends in the door tomorrow. Phew!

It's also good I got the bathroom organized as Mom is getting here on the 9th and she needs a lot more bathroom foofery stuff on a daily basis, so I do usually clear a shelf for her, and I'm happy that's done. Of course, the library will be "her room" for the summer, so we've backslid there. Oh well! If the baby comes early, I guess she'll end up on the family room futon for a bit.

Oh, and no word on my labs from yesterday yet (big sigh!) and I also must confess that I ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dinner yesterday. So there.

--willo
#93 of 106 Old 05-26-2007, 08:33 PM

wombat, I agree with you about Pirates. And I also made it through without a bathroom break, good for us. I was satisfied with the ending, but a friend I went to see it with was grumpy about the way it all turned out. Oh well.

Did you stay for the credits? There is a very small bit after the credits that is worth staying for.

This little Imp spent the moving either kicking frantically or having contractions. My goal was to make it through the movie though, and he did let me do that. Ok baby, you can come any time now.
#94 of 106 Old 05-26-2007, 10:27 PM

glad to see i'm the only one that logs on and sees more babies and thinks oh why not me???? not that i'm not very very happy for the new babes

i'm just wondering when i'll get my chance. big hopes for the upcoming full moon.

my mom is here until monday noon. i'd love to birth while she is here but not overly hopeful. i think i'm a long gestator :

i have no signs of anything other than patches of itchy rash on my cheek, around my lips and on my shin : and i'm not usually a 'rashy' person

we desparately need AC in this house. it is SO hot. it is going to be really hard with a newborn. it hasn't been overly hot yet but i know it is coming
#95 of 106 Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Congratulations on all the new babies! We had some friends over the other day, including their two month old, and it took all of my self control not to try and sniff that new baby smell.

New carpet gets installed next Friday and the following Monday. Then I can get the house back in order.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#96 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i have no signs of anything other than patches of itchy rash on my cheek, around my lips and on my shin : and i'm not usually a 'rashy' person

we desparately need AC in this house. it is SO hot. it is going to be really hard with a newborn. it hasn't been overly hot yet but i know it is coming
Is a rash a sign of impending labor? I've never heard that!

Then again, I think my current skin irritations are heat rash. Could that be happening to you?

Are you in Portland, OR, or a different Portland?

--willo
#97 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Did you stay for the credits? There is a very small bit after the credits that is worth staying for.
Of course! Can't leave a Pirates movie till you see the "teaser" after the credits. Though I admit that by that point I was about to wet my pants. Actually, DH and I usually stay all the way through even when we know there isn't a "bonus" (though lots and lots of movies are putting them in these days). We love seeing all the names and jobs involved in each film (my personal favorite is still "Stunt Borg" from one of the Star Trek films). Oh, and counting up how many people were hired for each specialty...this Pirates film had a bit more than 100 stunt people and just shy of 200 digital effects crew!

And I also said "Okay Roro, you can come out now" when we walked out to the car!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#98 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 AM

We're going to see Pirates today I was kind of hoping to be in labor and have to cancel but oh well!

So when is this full moon? I'm holding out high hopes for it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#99 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Hey guys-- It looks like USA network is having a Law & Order marathon tomorrow (Monday) due to the holiday weekend.

Haven't SEVERAL of you ladies mentioned that you watched Law & Order while in labor?

And, since I was worried about holiday hospital "traffic" making your l&d experience less pleasant, I also think all the inducees (from Friday) would be clearing out, so it sounds like several of you should go into labor tomorrow!

Not me, though! Still too early here.

Do you like my logic?

--willo
#100 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

#101 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Law & Order marathons! Right now a Monk marathon is on...I thought I might have been gearing up this morning, but nada. Though I'm feeling a bit off so maybe that's a good sign? Or maybe I'm getting a little wacky with the waiting!

I'm still really curious to see if my early "birth prediction" is going to hold true...though I'd feel a bit bad pulling my doc and doula away from Memorial day activities. Then again, DH doesn't get Monday off (it's not a university holiday) so he'd probably enjoy being called away!

#102 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Hey all!

Contractions here on Friday night for a good chunk of time, 10 min or so apart. Then nothing. But honestly? I don't feel quite ready yet, and I'm just 37.5 weeks, so I'm actually wanting a bit more time. Will I get in trouble for saying that here? He's definately dropped though, so I think it's just a matter of time. Since my midwife will be out of town Wed/Thurs, we'll be waiting until next weekend to have sex. I think that might be what does it. That or the massage on Thursday. The last one sure as heck did a lot!

We're doing things around the house today and I'm finally making a mix CD for labor. I think I'll be making one "uplifting" CD and one "relaxing" CD, and depending on my mood can switch it out.

Memorial Day weekend is boring. lol
#103 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 PM

I made it through Pirates with no potty break too! But it gave me a bunch of contractions, followed by the most intense hot flash ever- I almost had to leave the theater!

So I've been walking a lot lately, and after my walks, the inside and outside of my lower legs are so sore. I have discovered that the sorest part is that acupressure point on the inside! Oh, it feels so good to rub it.

My dh and I had a nice time just hanging out in the hammock last night after the kids were in bed. It's amazing what an hour of nice company with him can do for our relationship. We even talked about names without getting defensive. His last suggestions, imo, were awful, but last night he came up with Red Thorbjorn which I don't hate- Red was my dad's name. Our last name is uber boring, so it might work. I'm still saying "let's just wait and see the baby" but he's more ancy to have names for sure before.

Yesterday I said I wanted to hole up in my room. So this morning I woke up feeling wierd, my throat is sort of sore- more like my whole head feels kind of swollen with a bit of headache, and I keep getting flashes of my tummy hurting but then not really...this happened last week one day too, but I didn't get sick. So maybe it's just hormonal, but I'm exhausted and have been sleeping/resting in my room for about 3 hours now and it feels right. I can't imagine going to the store like I desperately need to, or even going outside to help with the garden projects that are on full speed out there!

It's hard not to wonder if baby is coming soon when you are feeling wierd.

Wombat- I, too, have always had the 28th in my mind for some reason. ???

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#104 of 106 Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 PM

I think it is the right thing to do, but I'm feeling lonely and sad tonight because I send DH and DS to "camp out" at my in-laws house overnight. The in-laws are away for a little weekend trip, and DH needs to spend some time over there to keep his parrot (who still lives there full-time) company. Since there is some chance DS will need to go to the in-laws while we are at the birth center and/or hospital, I wanted him to experience it BEFORE the big event. Going with DH is also less traumatic than going to the in-laws for the first time with no parent, I think.

But... I'VE NEVER SLEPT IN A DIFFERENT PLACE THAN DS!!! I miss my baby!

Okay, one night at my parents' house I had a migraine and DS slept upstairs on my parents' bedroom floor instead of downstairs with me, but that is the farthest apart we've ever slept. (He does sleep in his own bedroom at home now.) I knew it was coming up, since we're having a birth center and/or hospital birth, and I do plan to spend my two days in hospital considering how severely anemic I was right after DS's birth, but I'm mildly traumatized at being home alone right now and at the thought that I shall be home all alone tonight.

Physically, I think I'm starting to get mild tummy aches after meals. I think baby Glooby is pushing those little feet right up into my stomach. It's nothing severe, but it is getting a little annoying.

Oh, and yesterday evening, we took a walk over to the ocean (6 blocks away?) to get some ice cream and visit with a friend. I got the weird nauseated feeling sitting on a bench after the food, so I wanted to get up. I got the knitting-needle-stabbing-the-cervix feeling when I went to stand up, and, for about 5 minutes, I was literally "stuck" between the nausea of being bent (sitting down) and the insurmountable shooting pain of trying to rise. Yikes! I finally got up by having DH and my friend pull me up while I kept my torso completely straight (not bent at the hips at all like if I stood up myself.) Sheesh. DH said, "It would be pretty funny if you had the baby here on this bench!" :

Send me good sleeping-at-home-without-DH-and-DS vibes!

I'll try to focus on wishing many of the rest of you into labor. Two weeks from today would be perfect for me--the day after Mom arrives!

--willo
#105 of 106 Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM

How did it go Willo? I hope you (and DS too) had a good night... I remember the first night I slept in a different room from DD (when I was soooooooo sick around Turkey Day and we were night weaning) and it was hard. I can't imagine sleeping in a different house yet! Though I know it will happen soon since I'm having a hospital birth and will probably spend a night there.

I'm trying to look at that as a chance to bond with the new babe though...sort of a Mama and Roro opportunity.

So I'm really curious to see if I do enter the birth zone today. Months ago I simply "decided" that the 28th sounded like a good birthday for no real reason! But I didn't realize it was a holiday and honestly I'm still nervous about staffing issues. So I'm fine with tomorrow

On the other hand, I have my 39 week appointment tomorrow and I think I'll ask to be checked and have my membranes swept if my cervix is in a good place. I need to get things moving! The "wife" half of my husband-wife OB team is going out of town for a few days during what will be my 41st week and as a result I can either elect a foley cath induction a few days before she leaves OR I can gamble on birthing when no one else in the practice is birthing. The thing is, my two docs are just about the ONLY care providers in town who will birth with VBAC mamas (and that includes the midwives...around here midwives wont take VBACs till the mama has had a baby after the surgery, and I haven't). So if the "husband" half is attending another mama then I would have the backup OB...and an automatic c/s.

So while it's still a ways away and I am NOT letting myself worry about it yet, it is still in the back of mind...I need Roro to decide to come on her own in the next 14 days or things could get sticky.

#106 of 106 Old 05-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Well, I stayed up much too late (midnight? me?!? Don't tell DH!) but, once I got to sleep, it was really quite wonderful.

You know, DH and I are pretty rotten sleepers ourselves in some ways. Neither of us can sleep very well with cuddling, which was a big part of our struggle with co-sleeping (DS is a very active sleeper, too.) God bless the inventor of the king-size bed.

So, last night, IT WAS LIKE I WAS SINGLE AGAIN. Nothing woke me up except my own bladder. How utterly delicious! I think I got the deepest sleep I've had for a few months, which isn't bad at this stage of pregnancy.

But, boy was I happy to hear my little boy coming up the steps with his papa at 7 o'clock this morning. I did miss them. I just enjoyed the quiet and the lack of responsibility for the night.

DH went to work today, of course. Science waits for no holiday, legal or religious. Big sigh. I think he's coming home early, though, so that's nice.

Last night, I ordered my new stove with delivery for Thursday. I hope the floor guy (who comes Wednesday) will finish in one day, but I guess the contractor could help us move the stove in from the library if necessary, right? (It's just an electric stove, so no gas hookup to worry about.) Now that so many of our DDC are having babies, I think I have a renewed fire under my butt to GET THAT KITCHEN FINISHED!

DS keeps asking to bake cookies, and it would be nice to do that with him before the baby arrives and before the summer gets too hot.

I bought one package of newborn disposable diapers yesterday so I could finish packing the hospital bag. (I switch to cloth post-meconium--and when I'm sure Mom is here before the baby! ) THEY ARE SO TINY! Awww! And the little pants! And the little socks! If DH hadn't been yelling at me to get away from the attic steps, darn it!, I'd have been up there rummaging for the newborn clothes, I think. :

--willo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page