Fetal heart rates/Tests & Monitoring: I'm worried!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a doc appt. today and they said everything is fine and I'm dilated to 2cm already. Only the heart rate was 110-114. I'm having a boy but his heart rate has always been in the mid 120s- mid 140s. The doc didn't comment on the heart rate but he scheduled a non stress test for tomorrow morning and a biophysical profile for Friday. I'm worried now that something may be wrong. I'm 37wks now so I know the baby can come anytime now and be full term but... should I worry about his heart rate? Isn't this a little low? I'm worried about the test tomorrow. If it doesn't come out like the want I'm afraid they may try to induce. I don't want a medical induction if anything I'll try natural induction methods. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and start some now or wait to see what they say. (Oh yeah I had bleeding at 7wks & 9 wks in the preg. and then we didn't hear his heartbeat at all until 17 wks. I had a u/s at 16 wks to be sure he was ok) Since then its all been alright but now this. Help ladies please. I could really use the support right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 PM

Hospitals tend to really err on the side of caution so you can be sure that if they thought something was going wrong they would send you in for a non-stress test immediately. They don't fool around when it comes to that kind of liability. 114 isn't that low. It's on the low side, but not dangerously low. Sometimes a baby's heart rate will drop and then recover during a contraction and sometimes for no reason at all, as long as it recovers things are ok.

The same thing happened to me when I was around 34 weeks preg with my first son, he was having heart decels and then recoveries for no real reason. They had me do the NST, then have an u/s and found nothing wrong. He was born healthy 5 weeks later. My MW told me that sometimes a baby will move and squish the cord for a second causing a little decel and it's ok.

Try not to worry. And remember that you cannot be induced unless you show up for an induction!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 8 Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM

I agree with Jillian - if they thought it was off & serious they would send you over immediately. I could have just been the equipment they had or a slight decel.

Good luck tomorrow.
#4 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 AM

I too was very stressed at the idea of the non stress test & biophysical profile... but have to tell you that in some respects, it was comforting to see more concretely that everything was okay, or in the case of my repeat NST, that things weren't really okay any longer, but that my doctor & my dh & myself were prepared & in a good place to help my baby safely & heathily into this world, even though it wasn't the path we had all originally planned on. I may not be a great fan of medical intervention, but I am so thankful that it is available when I hold my precious son in my arms!

I do agree with the PPs though... if there was anything immediately alarming to the doctor, you wouldn't have gone home to wait the evening.

The reassuring thing is that you've crossed the 37 week mark; if your baby were born today, he'd be just fine! Try to relax & sleep tonight.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 AM

No information to share here, but you will be in my thoughts today. I'm sure your NST will be fine. I hope it is very reassuring!

--willo
#6 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies. All's well. We just had our NST and it's okay. I guess he was asleep when they checked him yesterday. Fortunately everything's alright and he has no signs of distress. We still have our BPP on Friday though. Maybe I'll get lucky with this full moon tomorrow night and go into labor already. If not at least I'll get to see my little man on Friday. Thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted. For now it's just more prelabor though. ARGH!
#7 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
All's well.
So glad to hear the NST went well!!! I hope both our babies come out today/tomrorow. One of my two midwives is moving to another state after tommorow and I might end up with someone I've never met if I don't deliver until June. Waaaah!!! Thinking of you and if you don't deliver before Friday I hope the BPP goes well!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#8 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

I'm glad all is well!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page