I'm getting afraid, is that normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My due date is tomorrow and I'm planning a hbac. I've been fine up until this point and now I'm getting afraid. Not sure what I'm afraid of though, just a lot of things I guess.

I had been doing hypnobabies until a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I was having really intense contractions and the hypnobabies was not working for me. The Bradley breathing that I learned when pregnant with ds helped though.

Someone please tell me it's normal to be afraid.
#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM

I think it is totally normal.

I've had a baby before, but, if I let myself dwell upon the upcoming birth, I can get myself pretty worked up!

For me, it is best to just really relax and keep telling myself, "Hey, this is going to happen. You will ride it out and relax and it will be fine..."

You can't control it. You can't stop it. So, you might as well relax and make it go as easily as possible.

--willo
#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM

This is #4 for me and I am terrified. I loved my natural birth experience the last time (after two epidural births) - it was amazing - and I hope to repeat it - but I am still terrified. It did 'hurt' so not sure why I am so keen on getting it all going. I am also terrified of adding a fourth babe to the house (my eldest is just five and the youngest is just 17 mnths).

I can't help with you too many of your unique fears but trust me you aren't alone. I love reading other people's birth stories and really liked some of the words they used. My words of wisdom (if they are worth anything!) work on managing the fear - fear is your worst enemy in labour/pain.

Good luck and think of this as the biggest most enlightening experience of your life.
#4 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Sure that is normal! Don't forget our hormones are bugging us too right now! You might feel cheerful and strong one moment, and depressed or scared the next. Be kind to yourself, this waiting-for-labour stage is the most nerve wrecking part of pregnancy (at least for me it is)
I'm due tomorrow too, and I wish I could have my vbac at home, but unfortunately I can't. On the other hand, it's never too late to change your mind about the location you prefer, it's YOUR birth after all!!!
Good luck!!!

Mom to two girls, wife to DH : : : : : :
#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM

totally and completely normal! Birth is such a powerful and life changing event (no matter how mny births you've had) and it's normal to both look forward to and long for the experience while also being scared or uncertain about it.

I used hypnobabies too for this birth and I'll be honest...it didn't "work" the way I hoped. Not that contractions were "painful" (it really was just pressure, and I never felt like I coudn't handle them), but even pressure is uncomfortable and I let my support people know repeatedly that I didn't WANT to handle them...that what I WANTED was drugs to make everything go away. Well, I didn't get the drugs...I got my wonderful med free birth instead thanks to my support people and amazing OBs.

You will birth this wonderful babe, and it will be amazing, and your life will change...and once it starts you'll find your way through, no matter how nervous you are right now about the "details"!

wishing you a joyful birth...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page