*~Weekly Thread June 11-17~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd get this started for our new week.

I hope we're going to have lots of babies this week, including mine! I'm 39 weeks today.

Seeing my MW today & will have an internal if she's ok with it. I need to know if all of this cramping is getting me anywhere.

Herbmama- Keep us posted

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#2 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Wow, I never thought I'd be 3 days from my due date and still pg!! This baby is staying in so much longer than her big sisters. Hopefully that means she'll be mellow and easy going after she comes?!? Not much going on here besides waiting for baby. I feel like the clock is ticking. My mom who came for three weeks to help me with the baby and big girls, is leaving in 9 days and now I don't even know if she'll meet the baby. Plus, I have a very part time WAH job that I have to go back to on July 1st. I had to decide on when I wanted to start/end my leave back in early May so they could hire a contractor while I was gone and based on my history (DD1 came at 38 weeks, DD2 came at 37 weeks) I decided to start at 37.5 weeks and end on July 1. Oops. Hopefully baby will come out soon so I'm not having to try and think with a 3 day old baby or something. At least it's only a few hours a week and from home so hopefully I can make it work no matter when baby comes.

I do have to say though that I'm sort of enjoying freaking people out when they ask when I'm due and I tell them Thursday. This is all new since I've never even made it close to this far. The looks on their faces crack me up. Like I'm going to just have the baby right then and there. Gotta be some perks to being this close, right?!?

I agree, lets have tons of babies this week and I would LOVE it if mine was one of them.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#3 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Heyla!

Smooth and happy birthing vibes to all the mamas "on deck" this week!

I'm waiting for more photos (we used a disposable and have to wait for processing) but we have a few on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8438721@N07/

Hang in there everyone...I know how hard it was the last few days before Rowan arrived but now I find myself wishing I'd gotten just one or two more things done while I was still mobile-ish! The grass is always greener, right?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Rowan looks nice & plump.

I really get to get DH to take a belly pic later!! Haven't taken one in a while.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#5 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess this is good....my MW said I'm 75% effaced & 1 cm dialated. She said it's better than the reverse of being more dialated & less effaced. So all the cramping was the effacement.

I am so super cranky today. Guess a combo of lack of sleep & being 39 wks PG??

I hope the fact that our thread is so quiet means everyone is having a baby.

#6 of 45 Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post
Well, I guess this is good....my MW said I'm 75% effaced & 1 cm dialated. She said it's better than the reverse of being more dialated & less effaced. So all the cramping was the effacement.

I am so super cranky today. Guess a combo of lack of sleep & being 39 wks PG??

I hope the fact that our thread is so quiet means everyone is having a baby.
Oooh, I've been super crampy, too. Maybe at my mw appointment on Wed. I'll find out if I've progressed past 50% effaced (I wasn't dilated at all).

I'm hoping to go soon, but feel like Savannah wants to stay in longer. Whatever time she needs, I'm fine with...as long as I don't have to be induced!!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#7 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 AM

awallrising- I think the crankiness is a good sign too. For some reason I was super cranky before going into labor with both dd1 and dd2. Like, for a day or two I realized I was being unreasonable but I was just ANNOYED at everything and everyone for no real reason. Maybe the hormone shifts pre-birth are to blame?

Hang in there! I hope you're holding your babe soon...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 AM

I didn't get any news at my appt today but I'm thinning out and 3cm dilated so maybe it won't be much longer. 39wks today and my DD came at 37 so I'm feeling very overdue. I had a UTI that I got antibiotics for Fri night so at least I'm feeling better now. Last week was miserable from the infection but its gone now. Yeah! I'm feeling crampy again today though and I've been losing more of my mucus plug yesterday and this morning. It can't be much longer right? I really want to see my baby. I have to clean my house tonight or tomorrow though so I'll be ready to go in. I can't believe I'm still pregnant I never would have guessed this.
#9 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM

I am still here too!

I thought for sure last night was it ... contractions lasted about an hour and a half and got down to about 7 minutes apart. I was going to count two more than wake up husband ... then I woke up four hours later (guess it wasn't the real deal!). I didn't think it was really it (not at all painful, more like aggressive BH) but they seemed consistent for over an hour. Maybe today, or tomorrow (or not!) I am only due on Saturday so I could have a long wait ahead.

I am getting excited now to meet the little one - I feel I am almost bored (done work, no more laundry, kids at school still) and am ready to move to the next step. If only the 17mnth would sleep through the night, it would be perfect!

I love reading other people's baby story threads!
#10 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 AM

I hope it is a good sign that Herbmama hasn't posted today.

I thought I should mention that, since my mom arrived Saturday night, I've just been busier than usual and spending less time online. Nothing exciting going on here, baby-wise that is! Mom has already been a whirlwind and found the newborn clothes, taken the winter bedding up to the attic, helped me unpack more kitchen stuff, etc. God bless her OCD as I feel like my house is finally coming back together into a human-habitable place.

(But I'll confess now, you guys will probably be hearing griping from me about her same energy a few months from now when she's about ready to go home again. I know myself--and our relationship--at least that well. Just you wait and see if I'm not being a cranky baby by then.)

DS has a runny nose again, so I'm hoping and praying not to catch his cold. I'm feeling good and strong, but I've had several times more colds this pregnant winter than I usually do. We got one of those "A child in our school has pinkeye" notes today as well, so I've got to watch that, too. At least our doctor usually just wants to let pinkeye go away on its own. (He's a homeopath/MD--really cool about lots of stuff.) Thursday is DS's last day of school, and they will have a little concert for us. I'm practically weepy with anticipation, he's just so cute.

I think I'm a real cranky-puss lately, too. Honestly, I'm relaxed right now because Mom is still asleep and DS is at school. It's kind of a relief to be alone. I can totally see why some people decide not to have their kids present at subsequent births, because I, for one, get really, REALLY private as I get toward the end, like a cat in the linen closet. I can still remember this one man in the loading zone outside the hospital where we had DS. DH told me that I actually asked him to chase the man away, I was so p-o'd that he was LOOKING at me.

I've got a direct bookmark to our DDC on my browser and will have DH post a thread when I go into labor (I mean, barring super emergencies, of course!) The control freak in me is so much happier when you guys let me know what's going on with you, so I want to do the same.

I actually dreamt two nights ago that I was walking through a physical space meeting up with many of you, each in her own "birthing space", and it was really cool to see how we were doing the same things, but our processes and spaces and timelines were so unique... It was the most beautiful dream.

I hope everyone has a peaceful, comfortable day--preggo or baby-wearing or however you find yourself today.

--willo
#11 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM

So I was up all night with contrax, and then they stopped while I was eating breakfast...they've just resumed at 10 minute intervals. I really want to go to the hospital to see if they can help keep them going anyone know how long I should wait? If dh and dd are around carrying on they space out and stop. Walking brings them on somewhat. I feel like this is it but I just need to get things "revved" up.

I hope this quiet thread is a result of lots of happy healthy babies arriving.
#12 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I personally would wait to see if they get closer before going, depending on how far the hospital is. Can you call your MW or OB & see what they think?

#13 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW View Post
I really want to go to the hospital to see if they can help keep them going anyone know how long I should wait? If dh and dd are around carrying on they space out and stop. Walking brings them on somewhat. I feel like this is it but I just need to get things "revved" up.
I think you should call and check in with your provider, assuming you feel your provider won't pressure you into coming in early and maybe then putting you on a clock. It doesn't hurt to ask, but you really most likely don't want to go in too early.

Can your DH take your DD somewhere else for the day so you can labor in solitude? If solitude is what you need to progress, ASK FOR IT! (And you'll get more of that at home than at most hospitals, I'd guess.)

Unless, of course, somehow the hospital setting is your ultimate relaxation area! I imagine that must be helpful for SOME women, just not MOST women. So, if that really sounds "right" to you, do what you feel!

I believe the rule I was given by our MW (for this, our 2nd child) was 10 minutes apart, 1 minutes long, lasting 1 hour. Then again, I had that for one hour last week before they stopped, so it wasn't quite time yet for me.

--willo
#14 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM

I'd wait before going to the hospital. Usually they suggest you wait until the ctx are about 5 min apart. It depends on your situation though. This is my 2nd and my 1st came out in 7hrs flat. I'm already dilated to 3cm and thinning out too so my doc wants me to come in as soon as I start having ctx b/c they're afraid it'll go fast. I still plan to wait at home until they are good and steady though. Your call!
#15 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM

im so tired, i just cant function anymore. using my brain seems to take more energy then i have...

went to walmart to look for something yesterdday, didnt find it, BUT i did find a snow cone machine. its the greatest thing in the world. ive already had 2 today! besides my obsession with snow cones, i figured the shaved ice would be ideal for labor/pushing..i find i need ice when i push...so, i had a valid reason for buying it!

my dh is really sick..he doesnt ever get sick. dd has a fever and ds has these weird red bumps around his mouth. im actually the healthiest person in my home...thats a first! kinda scary, seeing as i feel like total crap!

had a false alarm yesterday~ was cautiously optimistic. but, they stopped : im going to try and see an accupuncturist next week...the thought of being pregnant any longer is just devestating.

more to gtell, but cant remember anything right now...
#16 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM

's to all the mamas hoping to go into labor very soon. If it makes anyone feel better I was barely 1 cm before going into labor and my active labor was only a little more than 5 hours long - so there is hope for the mamas who don't think they've made much progress. I was also in a major funk a few days before labor started, I swore it would never start. Hang in there, you'll be holding your little one soon.

I thought I'd share some tips from the "other side" Have some cabbage on hand to help with engorgement. No one warned me that engorgement was more painful the second time around. I was engorged for about 4 days straight and my nips were blistered. Cabbage, earth mama angel baby nipple butter, air, and warm soaks are what got me through.

Freeze a lot more post partum pads than you need. I only froze 6 and ended up going back and freezing 6 more. I tore bad (again) and the cold pads felt so good on my stitches. I also had to go back and make even more post partum herbs for my peri bottle. So make more than you need of those too. I ran out and am just using plain comfrey right now.

If you plan on using cloth diapers you may want to have a few disposables on hand just in case. My tiny little man won't fit into any of his cloth diapes so we're using sposies for the first few weeks. I also have zero energy to do laundry. I was really hoping to use cloth from the beginning too.

OH, and have some Advil or something else on hand for cramping after the birth. It was pretty intense the first 2 days and I used a combo of Advil and After ease tincture. Arnica helped with my stitches too.

I think that's all, I hope this info helps someone!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#17 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM

I wrote a long reply and now i see nothing. ugh.

Well the short version is I haven't gone in everything stopped I promised myself I'd head in when it starts again and hope they keep me. I live an hour from the hospital.

Second was thank you Jilian I'd forgotten to put cabbage on the list but it really helped me last time.
#18 of 45 Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Like Jilian said...I went to the doctor on Thursday afternoon and was 2cm. Friday at 5am I was 3cm. Three hours later I was pushing! The numbers really don't mean anything...so don't let a cm get you down.

#19 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Good morning, ladies--

Well, today is DH's birthday. That would make it an ironic day for the baby to arrive (since DH is hoping for a few more days of work and peace), so we'll see about that. Being kind of a smart-a$$ does run in our family.

DS had a fever yesterday, poor baby, and, while he doesn't seem affected in his behavior, it does make me wonder if the sniffle turned into something a bit yuckier. I sure don't want to get sick!

This morning, just in the last few minutes, my tummy is feeling kind of icky. Now, DS hasn't had any tummy issues, aside from not eating nearly as much as usual, so I hope this isn't a viral issue for me. Then again, I'm not sure I'm quite ready for it to be a labor sign, either! :

Ah well! We'll see what we get, I guess, and that's that.

DS is asking for some breakfast, so he can't be too sick, right?

--willo
#20 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Herbmama I know you were having a tough time these last few days. Sounds like it all paid off.
#21 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Well, most of you sound near to the end of your rope! Or dangling off the frayed ends! I've enjoyed watching the threads change from the beginning of the DDC, where everyone was thrilled and worried, then sick and worried, then getting bigger and not so worried and now wondering when it will all end!

I'm doing better since my prodromal event. Nothing since then, but I went a little berserk afterward. Now I'm calmer and a bit more resigned to being pregnant for awhile longer. I see my MW today (but she doesn't do internals, so I won't know anything about that), and saw a chiro for the first time yesterday. My pubic symphysis has been acting up over the past week or so, so she helped with that and she also said that the round ligament that I sprained back in February felt like it was knotted up a bit and affecting the position of my uterus. So I go back twice a week until the baby comes and I'm really glad to have gotten things straightened out before the birth. I'm thinking I should call my acupuncturist, too. She said she could tonify me a bit if I was feeling sluggish (IF???) and she would show DH some of the "forbidden" points so that he could help things along at some point (he's a certified vet acupuncturist, so he's familiar with the technique). I really hope it helps - maybe we could do that the next time I have some prodromal labor...?

Thanks for the reminders, Jilian! I had forgotten about cabbage - now that I think about it, there was more engorgement after DD2 and they really helped. It's going on my list! I also agree about the cloth dipes. DD1 was 9#, so she fit into them right away (we used prefolds with snappis for the first few months until they could easily fit into the fitted dipes). DD2, however, was a teeny, tiny 7#2oz and the diapers would totally cover her umbilicus - either that or the covers were rubbing on it. It was red and oozy for a lot longer than Anna's. So I actually had to get disposables in a preemie size so that they wouldn't cover her up. This time I picked out the 7th Generation disposables and they are pretty small - hopefully they will do the trick. I like them a lot more than the conventional 'sposies. Come to think of it, I also didn't want meconium on my CDs either, so the first day or two were throwaway diaper days. And did the AfterEase tincture help? It was pretty intense after DD2 and I didn't know anything about herbs back then. It was almost like being in labor again. Ugh. But I got some this time and am really hoping it helps. What was your experience?

I also found that the sitz baths really helped after DD2. I only had a skid mark (after passing a 9# babe the first time, a 7 pounder was a piece of cake!), but the hemorrhoids were something else. I had to use a ceramic dish in the tub several times a day and it got really old. So when I ordered my birth kit, I added in an actual sitz bath and TWO bags of herbs. Hopefully that will make life easier.

Shaved ice sounds spectacular!!
#22 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 PM

My "real" milk came in Monday evening and I looked like Dolly Parton's boobie twin. I'm not as painfully engorged this time though...maybe because dd1 is still nursing? The leaking though...I don't need cabbage leaves, but I've been walking around with prefolds or baby "urp" cloths folded up in the shelf bra of my maternity tops!

Since Rowan is still jaundiced I'm hoping the extra milk will flush things out. And speaking of...GenomicsGirl, how is Carys doing?

Happr birthing vibes all...it's been a bit quiet here but I think another "baby rush" is coming!

#23 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Do you really have to get bigger boobs when the milk comes in? I don't remember if there was any real difference with DD or not. I'm already HUGE. They can't get much bigger. I was a double D before I got pregnant. I don't know what size I am now exactly but if they get any bigger?: Oh well at least DH will be in heaven!
#24 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Things aren't going so well here. We tried an external version yesterday to see if our baby would turn, but it didn't work. She's alternating between footling and complete breech. Still hoping she'll turn on her own, though.... At least her heart rate was strong throughout the procedure.

Good luck to everyone who's on the verge of giving birth--may you all have peaceful, gentle births.
#25 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM

I thought that since I was nursing all through pregnancy I wouldn't get that "milk coming in" boobie boost. But, ummm, no one told the Boobie Fairy apparently.

I was always a 36 b/c cup, then when I was pregnant with dd1 I grew into a 40 DDD when the milk arrived. That finally settled over two years of nursing into a 36 c/d. But now! At least this time I know it will settle back down a bit.

Did you know there is actually a small market for "lactation porn"? It's not a big market, more of a niche thing, but apparently there are two or three film houses that provide these films...and the women make a higher salary than most adult film actors. (I think I mentioned in some weekly thread or other, but my degree is in anthropology and while I studied mostly the role of women in "fringe" religious movements I also studied women in the adult film industry).

#26 of 45 Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

My doula is seeing another couple in my neighborhood (think they just had their baby). I hope I can catch up with them b/c it's a bit isolated where I am. I really need to make some friends out here.

I'm already wearing a DD. Yikes! Can't imagine what I'll be up to when my milk comes in. I can't even think about engorgement at this point, I need to get thru birth. I'm hoping between my doula & my friend that's a lacation consultant, I'll be covered. I'll keep the cabbage in mind though.

My crotch has been killing me. My MW said it's the pubic muscles getting ready. I'm waiting for the day that my aches & pains go away, but after giving birth I guess I'll have a whole new set of pains.

People keep calling me, luckily only one person asked if I had the baby yet. Not a big deal. It's nice to have people call to "check-in".

When is this boy going to drop????

#27 of 45 Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

So on top of insomnia last night, I woke up early in the morning to wicked "cramps". So I'm lying there wondering if this is it. I got up around 6am, had some breakfast & they seem to have calmed down about bit, although I still have a low grade cramping feeling. I wanted to make sure I was/wasn't in labor before DH got ready & left for work.

Not being in labor isn't a big deal, but thinking I was & then realizing I'm not is kind of annoying. Not to mention that I am super tired. Good thing I have nothing planned for today b/c I can't imagine doing much.

I hope it all means that my cervix is dialating since I was only 1cm dialated on Monday (but 75% effaced).

Off to drink some RRL tea.

The new round of babies is exciting.

#28 of 45 Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM

WHEEEE!

Have been feeling particularly energetic and happy the last few days. Woke with some unexpected nausea yesterday; went to sleep with a bit of a sore throat and a slightly stuffy nose. Went for a walk last night, spent quality time with my husband.

Woke up at 4:45am to pee (like clockwork now), planned to go back to sleep, but started wondering Why are these Braxton-Hicks so strong this morning? Got up twice more to pee, and at 7am had a bit of spotting--have had zero spotting at any other point in the pregnancy! Baby-time!

Ctrx are 30 seconds to one minute long and are about 8 minutes apart, but I've only been timing them for about an hour now.

These early ctrx are much stronger than I remember--already REALLY hard not to tense-up through them! REALLY hard!!

I guess I should call the midwife, since she lives three or so hours away.

Also, is it possible that I am getting a COLD? Maybe I'm allergic to labor?

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#29 of 45 Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 AM

happy birthing aramat!

#30 of 45 Old 06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
pjs

Sending peaceful birthing vibes aramat.

I'm trying a new approach to this going into labor thing- I am telling myself every day- TODAY is the day I am having my baby. We'll see how it works.

I'm suffering from a earache brought on by allergies- it is so ANNOYING not being able to hear out of my right ear! And I'm ready to hold my sweet baby girl...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page