Help for low fluid levels? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
39 weeks... Doc says my fluid levels are starting to get a bit low...

...Anyone know of anything I can do about this? (I don't want him pushing for induction next week!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 01:25 AM

The first thing I would suggest is to drink LOTS of water.

, , , and
Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 AM

I have heard that it is important to balance the water with salt as the salt helps the water "hang on". I would go and get some good sea salt (not that white table salt crap) and put a pinch in your water. To me it makes the water taste bad, so you might want a squeeze of lemon or lime as well. Also, rest.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Even juices or Gatorade can help balance your fluid/salt situation, and might taste better than salt water to you.

Homeopathic cell salts of NAT MUR (Natrum Muriaticum) helps your body balance fluid and would be worth a shot, IMHO. Note that I refer to the CELL SALTS (flat tablets), not the round-pellet remedies in the lipstick shaped tubes. Mine are Boiron in an amber glass bottle about 1.25" in diameter with a white plastic lid, 6X.

--willo
Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Speaking from experience with this pregnancy... and I am certainly not trying to be scary... just putting this out there, because I posted basically the same post as you about a month ago.

You can certainly drink lots of water, with some salt, like the PPs said... and increase your alternate fluid intake as well (watermelons, cucumbers). You can also get in a pool/tub - submerge your body... which can help push excess fluid from your skin into your body.

BUT.

Realize that your fluid levels are mostly a reflection on your placenta's function, and your baby's ability to pee (in simple terms, haha). If your placenta can't process the fluid, your baby gets less, which means he won't be able to pee enough... and as your fluid levels get lower, baby has less ability to move into position, and the chances of his cord getting compressed increase.

In my experience this prenancy, no matter how much fluid I drank, my fluid levels continued to drop. It turns out that I had calcifications of my placenta - which are normal on due or overdue pregnancies (when examined post partum), but can indicate a problem earlier on.

I did end up delivering early (36 weeks) because my fluid levels had dropped to 2, and DS' heartbeat was dipping on every contraction (even BH) I was having.

Of course, it is normal for fluid levels to decrease gradually as pregnancy progresses... what number were they getting on the ultrasound? At 39 weeks, I don't think you need to be too worried, unless your levels are really low. Is your baby moving normally?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

He didn't give me numbers...

And he's been trying to push for an early (ie: before 40 weeks) induction, even wanting to control what TIME she's born, so part of me was wondering if it might be a little bit of "scare tactics" on his part.

I do understand the dangers of dropping fluid levels... I know that if they drop too far, I'll NEED to have the baby. Just hoping there's something I can do to delay that, even a little.

I did notice on this NST that there was a lot less activity... and she wasn't moving nearly as much, even after they gave me some juice to drink. Her heart rate never got over 160 (and I'm used to seeing it hit 185 several times in a "strip".) (NOTE: These conditions did not exist last week when he started pushing hard for the induction.)

I'm so frustrated with this guy... he keeps pulling flip-flops on me. Last Tues, said he'd wait as long as I was OK with it. Then, on Thurs, pushing hard for induction (think he woulda done it on the spot if I'd let him!) right after announcing fluid levels looked good.

Then yesterday, up to me again, but fluid levels low... ~pulls out hair~
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Yes, I would definitely ask what numbers he got. I have found that this is a very subjective thing. I have been having my fluid levels checked weekly since 33 wks (I am 41+ now), so I know a little about this. At my 40wk appt the dr got a reading of 26 (which is the high end of normal), but from my experience he was *very* generous with his measurements. The next week my level was 16. All the Obs in my practice look around for big patches and do a good job of it, but some measure more generously than others. Is it possible to get a second opinion? My peri said she would check my fluid if I was ever wanting a second opinion on it, but mine has always been way above the danger zone. Also, is it the dr doing the check or a tech? I think it can make a difference. Also, I have been told that anything above 5 is ok unless you have some condition that requires you to have more water. I was forced into an induction last pregnancy because my fluid level was 6. I am not sure the tech did a good job and anyway from what I know now a level of 6 at 39+ wks is not dangerous.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

He's got his own US equipment, and does it himself.

He's in a solo practice, so a second opinion is more complicated than in some offices. (As in, I'd have to schedule an appt. somewhere else, with a stranger, rather than just having another doc walk in.)

However, I've been mentally rehearsing those words anyway. Just because it's inconvenient doesn't mean I'm not entitled!!

My clotting issues could make low fluid levels a bit more of a concern. (I know, for example, when I was puking/pooping & unable to keep anything down for a minute, about a month ago, they put me on an IV a little sooner than they might have, just because of the clotting issue. I had no objection to that, as I WAS dehydrated, and the IV made all the difference in the world in how I felt.)

I've kinda "dodged the bullet" a little this week -- he initially said he wanted me in on Thursday, but later said "next week", so I scheduled for Monday. Guess we'll take all this up then. Until then, time to drink till I float, I guess!
Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Well, before consenting to an induction, I'd be certain to get a second opinion on fluid levels - different u/s techs/docs can find pockets in different places. Also, ask them to give you a number - you certainly have a right to know that. And ask him why he feels the need to induce, if he's still pushing for that. Ask specifics & whys & what ifs. Before DH & I consented to even being checked in at the hospital this time, we made sure to ask over & over all the possible scenarios - even the crazy ones (like what if you start me on IV fluids and DS turns). I also had the complicating factors of DS being breech AND having a previous C-section, so induction was off the table, as was a version due to low levels.

FWIW, the perinatologist sent me home when my levels were coming up in the 5.xx at 35/36 weeks, with repeat NST & fluid checks scheduled. He said he liked to see AT LEAST 6, but because baby looked good on the NST & biophysical exam, he wasn't overly worried - just to monitor his movement.

Of course, babies do tend to slow down at the end anyhow... but I knew something felt wrong, particularly after my yoga class when DS wasn't doing his usual "flips" in my belly after certain moves.

He was born the next day!

What's your gut telling you about her decreased movement? You could always go for a repeat U/S & NST at a separate lab... that might give you a little piece of mind.

Honestly, I think what you're feeling inside is a valid indicator & shouldn't be taken lightly. If you really feel baby is okay, get another opinion on fluid levels, get more doctor's opinions or further detailed info on your possibilities, and weigh that along with your instinct before consenting to induction.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM

I just had my fluid levels checked last week and the tech that did mine said that anywhere from 5-25 is normal. I would definitely ask what number he came up with and point this out to him. I hope all goes well for you.

User Tag List