Goin nuts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am sure you have all read posts like these but I just need a little time to vent. I am 5 days past my due date and I am just starting to lose it. : I am getting really worried because I don't have a back-up physician. My mw is great but if I exceed 42 weeks then I am kinda "up the creek". Doctors in my area don't back up a home birth because they don't want to be bothered by us homebirthers and the "risks" that we carry. I have tried the cohoshes and that did not work. Nipple stimulation, sex, RRLT etc... no luck. I am worried about having to go through an ER for my birth for fear of the unknown. I have never had a c-section, or any other complications. My mw told me that once I am past my 42 weeks I will have to be signed over to a physician. I have 8 days to go. I am visualizing to no avail.... I am now considering that once the "deadline" arrives to go UC.

So that brings me to the next situation... My mil called me today cryiing and pleading to me that I just go to an ER and have the baby "taken". I am just floored by this. Then this was followed by her saying that a friend of the family's was due after me and she already had her baby "taken" and that if he wasn't "taken" he would have died. Then more of how my sil's kid would have died if he wasn't "taken". I tried to calm her down with a little info. I told her that many babies go beyond their edd. My baby's heart tones are great, I am in great health, blood pressure is normal, urine is fine... She continues to ask me to go the ER in which I responded "not yet". I will be having a biophysical profile on Monday and if all is well, I will continue to wait until my 42 week deadline. She bawled some more. I feel terrible that she feels this way but I don't know what I can do to ease her tensions. I told her that most mainstream women don't go beyond their due date because they selectively induce for personal reasons and that going up to 2 weeks past is quite normal. I am feeling so down about this but I feel I have enough to worry about and I really need to be left alone. I also feel like I am being looked down upon as a mother because since I have chosen to hb I am not putting my unborn child as a priority. This is really upsetting. I am waiting for dh to get home so that I can tell him to reassure his mother. Well, this is it. I'll try to be back with what happened after the talk. As usual, thanx for listening, you all are about the only support system I have about now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Maybe try acupuncture.....I have done it twice, and still waiting, but some people swear it does the job, especially if you are postdate.....my due date is only today....so I am thinking it will happen once I am over....

call an acupuncturins, or ask your MW for a referral...

Mir
#3 of 11 Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Ok, your mil certainly does not know me from Adam, but you can tell her that you "know" someone whose OB is letting her go to 42 wks. My OB practice is part of a big HMO (and thus pretty mainstream) and I also have a 2 vessel cord and my drs are not putting any pressure on me to be induced until 42 wks (which is Fri ). They originally wanted me to have the baby by 40 wks, but I told them I was not happy with that and they told me that if the baby continues to check out that they were fine with letting me go as long as 42. So, even mainstream drs with their heads on straight know that 42wks is not too long to be pg.

Good luck!

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#4 of 11 Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

I know most of my friends went overdue and most of them had obgyn's.... I was just a bit lostfor words when she called. I tried to explain to her but I didn't get a chance especially when she went on to tell me about all the babies that have died or were born with scoliosis. Everytime I tried she got more upset. I feel terrible but what am I supoosed to do??? I am waiting ladies!!!!!! This is my last baby so I want to remember all the pg stuff like hiccups and kicking.

Beth- Happy labor vibes to us!!! Keep me posted on what happens as you near the time.

Lisa
#5 of 11 Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=mm72873;8377970]Maybe try acupuncture.....I have done it twice, and still waiting, but some people swear it does the job, especially if you are postdate.....my due date is only today....so I am thinking it will happen once I am over....

call an acupuncturins, or ask your MW for a referral...

Mir[/QUOTE

I thought about it. If there is no sign of anything, I will make an appt. for this Friday. Maybe I'll do a massage too. Maybe my problem is that I need to relax!
#6 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Hope I'm not butting in...but isn't anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks considered OK, and not premature or overdue? I've read so many birth stories lately about women going weeks past their due dates and having wonderful births. I also understood that due dates are notoriously off base. I'm sorry you're going through this right now. You DON'T need the stress!
#7 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 01:09 AM

first off, both my kids were induced (1 simply by breaking my water and waiting for cntrx to start) at 42 weeks because i was in the same situation where i wouldve had to go the ob/hospital route if i went past 42 weeks... both babies were (and are) perfectly healthy and wonderful.

now, honey, you have got to relax and DO NOT answer your phone. my MIL knows better then to say that kind of stuff to me (amd I know better then to tell her were planning a homebirth ), but man, if she pulled that...oh, i cant even begin to tell you the horrbile things that would go on here! : you do not need to make HER feel better, you are the pregnant woman, you are the one delivery the baby and the baby is yours! you know what is best and she has NO right to pull scare tactics on you! Im sorry, im going off a bit, i just cant believe shes pulling all that on you! calm down, get a massage, go to an acupuncturist, have a glass of wine and dont answer the phone. hang in there!!
#8 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbobys View Post
now, honey, you have got to relax and DO NOT answer your phone.
Now this is the absolute best advice in this thread. I won't answer my phone. I haven't for almost 2 weeks now. Just screen your calls and if someone doesn't leave a message then too bad. If dh is home have him answer and tell the person (if it is someone on the do not call list ) that you can't come to the phone and then have him give them a little update like "yes she is doing well" and then you don't feel like you have to call back.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#9 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
pjs

I 2nd or 3rd the suggestion to not answer your phone. Being a "watched pot" and having to justify your course of "medical treatment" is not going to bring baby out any faster. Your MIL believes, and will continue to believe, only what she wants- so studies and research to the sky will not make a difference and will not reassure her. Perhaps if she is religious you could suggest she pray?

I faced the same situation last baby and tried castor oil at 41w 6 days- it worked. I am now 40 w 2 day and afraid I'll have another two weeks to go. Just thinking about the what ifs are stressing me out and I've thought about trying castor oil early next week- we'll see what my midwife says. I know there is no medical reason now to take it, but I don't want to be left without any options other than a hospital birth two weeks from now.
#10 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 PM

I too would go see an acupuncturist, a chiropractor, and a massage therapist.
#11 of 11 Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Whoa! I can't believe your MIL did that. Yikes! Guess she forgot to read the memo about not freaking out pregnant chics? Tell DH to tell his Mom to back off.

Massage or acupuncture sounds like a good course of action & it's what I plan on doing if I make it to 41 wks. What about your MW sweeping your membranes? Sounds unpleasant but it's gotta be better than Pitocin.

Take it one day at a time & try to stay calm. Extreme anxiety is understandable but won't help anything. You have a week+ before 42weeks & it could literally happen anyday now. We all want our birth experience to turn out the way we want, but, in the end, the only thing that really matters is that you get a healthy little baby.

My thoughts are with you. Good luck!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page