internal exam=ouch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like such a wimp, but it really hurt when my MW checked me today (0 cm and EDD is Thurs. ). Is it normal for it to be really uncomfortable or am I in for a really rude awakening about my pain threshold in labor?!?!?!!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM

It is uncomfortable when they check you. It depends on the doc that does it too. The doc I'm seeing works in a clinic with a few other doctors and you have to see all of them at some point so they know you in case they end up delivering. It hurts worse with some of them than others. It's normal.

As far as the labor goes though, it varies from one birth to another. Hopefully it won't be too painful for you. I'm hoping its not. I didn't have any real pain with DD but I did get an epidural half way through with her. I don't plan on getting one this time so we'll see how that feels!
#3 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Nah... I don't think there's a real correllation. My 1st labor was extremely long & very painful (back labor), but nothing I couldn't handle... because there's a baby at the end of the pain!

However, my internal exams (I only had 2 done the first time, when I was IN labor), were VERY uncomfortable... I'd even say painful. This time, I declined internals, though I did consent to one just before my C-section, just out of curiosity... in case it might have changed things (I had a semi-emergent C this time around), and it was LESS painful/uncomfortable than the ones I had done while in labor...

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#4 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 PM

The two internals that I had were both no fun at all. My cervix was high and back so it was hard to reach and that didn't help matters at all.
#5 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM

I didn't find internals painful...but they were seriously uncomfy and I didn't have many. My OBs mentioned that many women find exams in late pregnancy really uncomfortable since there is so much more fluid and blood in the tissues, and the pressure of the fully filled preggo belly has already stressed the nerves in the pelvis and made them more sensitive.

But this doesn't mean anything in terms of your birth...so don't let it throw you!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Internals the last few weeks of pregnancy hurt, as they do during labour. The 6 week checkup does too.
#7 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 PM

I didn't have any when pg, so no experiences to relate, but do know you can refuse them...from what I have heard, many people have issues with them, and many people feel that as a routine procedure don't give you enough information o be worth it, and they can introduce foreign germs up there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page