more naming nonsense - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can’t find a boys name that really catches my fancy. I love Asher, but I see it’s getting trendy, and all my BIL has found 1000 ways to make fun of it. Dh is being very mischievous and unhelpful. He has a set of “rules” about boys names (The potential for mockery must be low, can’t be shortened into a nickname, initials can’t spell anything naughty), but he won’t actually make any suggestions of his own. Since family tradition mandates that the baby have his middle name (Irving), I have insisted that I get to choose the first name. Dh maintains some veto power. Here is my top 10 at the moment. Comments are welcome. Any suggestions (if you can find a common style among these) would be great.

Asher (dh says no)
Reid (Haven’t run it past him)
Dario (kind of an inside joke, but also potentially cool)
Everett (dh hates it, knew an evil kid named Everett in school)
Aiden (Yes, very common, but not common where we live)
Jonathan (dh says no because of the nickname thing)
Liam (dh used to like this, but I think he’s gotten tired of it)
Dominic (dh says it’s manly. I think that was an approval?!?!?)
Nathan (dh says no, again the nickname thing)
Brendan (Haven’t run it past him)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 PM

My friend suggested Declan today while I was talking to him on the phone. DH's co-workers have come up with all sorts of things I don't approve of.

We like:
Thomas
Stephen
Elliot (dd's favorite)

OK, so our list is short. We're leaning toward Thomas Edward.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM

I love the name Aidan (and the different spellings of it, lol) but I'm biased. Out of all my kids names I think Aidan is my fave. It saddened me when it became popular.. but is not so much in his age range.

Dario has the potential to have a nickname.. actually any name has the potential to have a nickname but there are certain ones you have to get creative with. How would you pronounce this? Dare-E-O or Dar-E-O (like Mario)?

I like Reid.

Dominic has a nickname.. I've known more than one Dom.

I like Liam..

I'm probably not helping you out very much. I suppose my advice if your dh doesn't want a nickname then you should stick with a relatively short name like Liam or Reid.. Liam Reid sounds lovely. Short names have less potential to be shortened even further.

ETA: Also if you like a longer name just be adamant no one shorten it. By the time he got to school he would be used to hearing you say his name is not such and such it's ____. I know some kids that go by their full name.. I'm a sucker for nicknames though.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Oh, that's too bad he doesn't like Asher, I think it's great!
I also like Reid and Liam.

I'm in the same dilema hunny. When DH and my family found out I was having a boy, it was "Is he gonna be a junior?" When we told them no they all seemed so shocked, maybe even a little disappointed. I love DH, but Steven Keith, c'mon

Some of the names I have on my mind at the moment:
Atticus
Asher
Bodhi
Lars
Riot

Good luck to ya, I know I need it as well

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM

I think you need to be completely dismissive of and dispense with that silly no-nickname requirement. Practically any two-syllable name has the potential to be shortened. Does he really mean you only get to consider one-syllable names? (If so, I like Reid )

I love a longer formal name with a nickname option myself tho. And I love the name Liam.

In fact, had my third DD been a boy, she was going to be William (Liam) Anthony. Instead she is Miranda (Mira) Ellen.

Liam was not on the list of possibilities for this baby tho. I have decreed that names considered for babies conceived with ex-spouses are outta the running.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM

We are considering Asher (meaning: happy) this go-around. We are pro nickname and love the nn Ash, fwiw.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM

As you can see my son's name is Asher and I still love it. We have all sorts of nicknames for him and some of them sound nothing like his real name...you just can't help those nicknames from coming. Yes, it does seem to be getting more common these days too unfortunately. I do really like Reid though and have considered that myself.
I have a gay friend with a lap dog called Aiden so that's out for me

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 AM

i like all of these:

Aiden
Jonathan -- I don't think most Jonathans get called Jon anymore
Liam
Dominic
Nathan -- the nathans i know never got called nate.
Brendan -- my cousin never got a nickname of out this. okay, family called him brendy, but i won't tell your dh.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love Reid Irving and like Dominic Irving.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that brat! He figured out the "Dom" thing on his own, and then said no to Aiden and Brendan.
The only thing he likes is Liam. I could live with Liam. Maybe I just need to see my baby first.
I also keep torturing him with Niko. My mom is Greek, so I throw a Greek name at him now and then. If we have a girl, it will be a Maia or an Eleni. Niko, he says, reminds him of that woman that sang with the Velvet Underground.
He also hates Reid, by the way. What a turkey!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM

i like Dominic and Liam off your list. Aiden is on of my favorite names, and when we were choosing names a friend of mine also came up with a thousand ways to make fun of aiden, not cool. So i started thinking of names like it, Brayden, Cayden,..ect. Dominic Irving and Liam Irving both sound great
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

I would tell dh that any name can be turned into a nickname, if you let it.

Dominic- Dom, Nic....just for an example

I LOVE Asher. DH also told me no.

If you call your son by his given name, you can insist that others do too. Until he gets a little older, that is. Then your son may just come up with a nn that he likes.

I know how you feel though. DH finds fault in every name I suggest, even his own!

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Every child will get a nickname, there's no going around it (unless you keep them from peers forever). My youngest brother is Craig- no nickname there, right? Wrong. He is known as "Louie" to the majority of us. My husband is John, and has about a billion nicknames among his friends, incuding Tuka.

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM

My list is similar to yours. One that I really like right now, but does have nickname possibilities is Isaac. Good luck, naming is really hard!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 02-23-2007, 04:36 PM

I love Isaac (obviously, it's my ds's name.) and have noticed it getting much more popular over the past 6 years. He goes by Ike though, which is still (perhaps not surprisingly?) quite uncommon!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 AM

One of the three baby name books I have has a list of "nickname proof names". It's a pretty short list.

Naming is h-a-r-d. We both like traditional names, but I prefer names that begin with vowel sounds, which he won't agree for any amount of begging. And he's decreed that the middle name MUST be Michael, which I truly don't want. I want something with family significance, as our boys both have such for their middles. So we're stuck too, and might even get to birth day without any real solution!

FWIW, I like Liam and Aiden. I'm curious - what could you possibly do to Jonathon or Nathan that makes them so undesirable?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:52 PM

I agree with everyone else. It is possible to use a name that has an easy nickname.....just be adamant that no one calls him by the nickname.

My dh's name is Steven. People always try to call him Steve, and he just corrects them and says, "It's Steven"

The boys name we have chosen is Harrison, but we aren't worried about nicknames. We will just be adamant about using his full name. Its has worked with all of our other children, so it won't be a big deal.

If you don't use nicknames then other people won't either.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_six View Post
If you don't use nicknames then other people won't either.
Plus not using nickname has become so much more popular so I think people are getting used to not shortening the name as much.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 PM

I like Liam and Everett, but I know your DH won't go for Everett, right? The only common theme I could find in the names is that 40% of the ones you listed end in an "n." What about Emerson or Camden? Those were runners up for us and I'm pretty sure we're passing on them. (However, with my hormones being the way they are right now, I could change my mind again, so I reserve the right to maybe use them without you getting mad at me if you also pick one of them ). Also, what about Simon, Holden or Addison?

Also, 30% of the names on your list start with a vowel: again, Emerson or Addison, or what about Oliver? Other names I like: Milo, Miles, Henry, Porter and Cooper. I also once knew a guy named Harper and thought it was a cool name--I know it has gotten a little popular for girl lately, but it is a unisex name. Oh, and I like Jasper, too.

I also agree with everyone else who said that you don't have to let people use a nickname, even if there's a really obvious one for his name. My mother practically strangled anyone who ever tried to call me "Missy."
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM

No baby in sight but I have already picked out two baby boy names and swore DH if her ever told anyone IRL there would be heck to pay.

They are Greyson and Titus. Preferably I would love twin boys but that may be a stretch...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM

I really wouldn't worry about "teasing" as far as Aiden goes. If you take the name Aidan and factor in all of its trendy spellings (Aiden, Ayden, Aydinn et al) it is now the #1 male name in the US. If someone's going to make fun of a boy named Aiden, they're going to be really, really busy.

On the other hand, if you like it because it sounds "unusual," be aware that yours will be the third or fourth Aidan/Aiden/Ayden in his class, most likely.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM

I have an Aidan and I can't see any possible way to be teased.. really I don't see any nicknames coming from his name either.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Asher (dh says no) - LOVE THIS ONE!!

Reid (Haven’t run it past him) - REALLY like but spelled Reed

Dario (kind of an inside joke, but also potentially cool) - ok, different which is good

Everett (dh hates it, knew an evil kid named Everett in school) - nms

Aiden (Yes, very common, but not common where we live) - love it but getting really common

Jonathan (dh says no because of the nickname thing) - too common for me

Liam (dh used to like this, but I think he’s gotten tired of it) - LOVE THIS ONE TOO!!

Dominic (dh says it’s manly. I think that was an approval?!?!?) - ok, different, will be shortened to Dom no matter what you do though. You can't control name shortening once you let the kid out of the house. But dh doesn't have to know that...

Nathan (dh says no, again the nickname thing) - I personally am not a fan of Nathan but LOVE Nate so there you go!

Brendan (Haven’t run it past him) - I like it but not as much as Braden (pronounced Brayden)

What about:

Gavin
Colton
Declan
Ethan
Logan
Nolan
Kaden
Owen
Rowan
Sawyer
Drew (no nickname potential!!)
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Keldon
(see what your dh thinks of that)

I like Liam. We can't use it because our last name starts with M.

Other I like:
Connor, Mitchell, Quinn, Parker

My DH and I haven't ever been able to agree on a boy name.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

User Tag List