So measuring big is normal... how about measuring small? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw the "measuring big" thread, and rather than hijack it, I figured I'd start my own.

I check my fundal height every day, and so does DH. Some days I'm spot on, other days I'm at U-1 or 2. Time before last I went to the midwife (17 wks), I was at U-2, which was normal. Last visit (21 wks), she first said I was at U-2, then felt around again and said I was at U-1. I figured it has an awful lot to do with the baby's position- this one moves around a lot during the day, and I'll typically measure normal when I'm about to get into bed.

So did anyone else have this? She told me she wasn't worried, but would follow up on it. I know now that measuring big is normal, but are there other small-wombed people (or at least low-wombed people ) out there?
#2 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the answer is the same as measuring big.. it might be something they continue to keep an eye on but unless your CP is worried by it I wouldn't stress to much over it. Everyone is different and on and on. Hope that answered your question or at least alleviated your concern just a little bit.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Yep - I think the issue is more one of steady *progress* within a range of potential normal values - especially in the second trimester through early third trimester (this measurement is much less useful in late pg).
#4 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I wasn't really worried, but this being my first pregnancy...

I have to keep saying to myself, "Everybody is different, you don't need to be like everyone else..." Junior was being very active just a little while ago, and I checked my fundal height out of curiosity- it's the highest it's ever been, like, almost over my navel! I'm reassured.
#5 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 PM

not part of your DDC but wanted to share.

I am tall and thin. i never wore pregant pants.

With my first son i was always behind, and had many US and he was labled SGA -- I was 8 weeks behind by delievery.

a lot of it has to do with your body type and how the baby lays -- Theo was up and down -- not out -- and i tall -- so he fit in there well.

HE WAS FINE -- he was normal sized (5 pounds and 9 oz) alwasy had a strong heart and his AGAPA score was 9 at birth and 10 at one minute.

he is still in the smaller precent of his age -- but who cares -- he is delopmentally on track and healthy.

in 16 months he is has 3 colds, and nothing else.

the whole "measureing ahead or behind" should only be a loose guide -- and not somehting to worry about unelss there are other red flags .... by itself it is jsut how some people carry babies.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 PM

so you arent measuring with a tape, you are measiring to your umbilicus? well first, everyone womans torso is different, some have long torsos with high belly buttons, and some have short torsos with low belly buttons, and there is everything in the middle. so dontgo by that measurement.
also, depending on how the baby is laying can change the shape if your uterus. if its vertex or breechin the front of your belly it might measure a little higher than if the baby is transverse across your belly.
if you are REALLY very concerned, ask your midwife, but i personally dont see anything wrong.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#7 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM

I was measuring 2 cm small with dd at 40 weeks, she was born 2 days later and was 7lbs 12oz. My midwife said that there was no way she'd be even close to 8lbs! Some people just hide babies better than others:

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#8 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM

At my last appointment, I was 23w6d, and I was measuring 21 cm. My midwife wasn't worried, she said she could tell my uterus was bigger, and that's what she was looking for over numbers. Everyone is different, I'm sure you're fine!
#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 PM

I have consistently measure about a week behind at every midwife visit. I measure myself too and I have noticed that positioning of baby makes a difference also. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice some kind of drastic change instead of consistent growth. This is my first too and I am carrying very low and according to the general public, I am so tiny still... but I keep gaining my pound or so a week and grow a centimeter or so too.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page