Moving and decluttering and organising, oh my! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG - we have to be ready to move upstairs and be organised (preferably before packing...) by the end of the month... I'm going to die... : I was doing really well about keeping up with organising a little at a time every day till I got the stomach flu that was going around - that lasted a week and it took me over a week to recover from it! Dh has been working so much that he's never around to help and I am feeling SO overwhelmed... my friend upstairs has half moved into her new place already and I feel like I haven't done ANYTHING

*I have to organise and pack the books (all 2500 or so of them for easy moving).

*I NEED to get rid of more stuff. We have too much crap sitting around the house... must purge more... purge purge purge...

*I organised dd's clothes (the ones for this summer are out and the ones for this coming fall/winter are labeled and put away so I can find them when the time comes), but I still need to organise the little baby clothes... I got out all the clothes that are too small for dd and they are sitting in nice little piles on my dresser that I cleared off a few weeks ago, but I need to put them in the plastic bins with the rest of the baby clothes so that I can easily get them out and find them once we're moved.

*I need to buy plastic bins to keep the vinyl records in - so I need to measure our records to figure out how many bins we need and then I need to find the cheapest bins that they will fit in... I'm thinking Costco.

*I need to go through dd's toys and get rid of all the toys that I hate that she doesn't absolutely love. She has a singing piggy bank that I would LOVE to get rid of, but she really likes it and it's the only noise-making toy we have. It also has a quiet setting so it's not too bad as long as it's not right next to me... She's also learned how to put the coins through the slot and enjoys finding other things (like playing cards) to put through the slot so it's not totally worthless I guess...

*deep breath* Calm down Betsy... CALM... *another deep breath*

Okay. I feel better having gotten that all out there!

Is anyone else moving before their baby is coming?

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#2 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM

I'll be at least half moving before baby comes (we're going to put most of our stuff in storage while we show the house). If our house sells fast enough, then we'll be fully moving from San Diego, CA to Austin, TX in June. Oh, and I can't start packing until dh gets the job offer, which will hopefully come at the beginning of May.
#3 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM

I don't even want to talk about my probably organising and decluttering, AND I'm not moving but it's still something I need to get on top of. I had one good week where things were GREAT and then I don't know what happened, I don't even have an illness to blame it on unless lack of motivation can be classified as such? Anyway.. Betsy I know you can do it mama!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Yes, we very possibly might be moving before -- or in the weeks after -- this baby arrives. Somehow we have to decide that, whether or not to put this house on the market or just rent it, etc. in the next couple/few weeks!

However, we are nowhere as organized as you are!!! I am looking at piles of papers and books and mentally making lists of things to go away daily -- and do nothing about it. I have a son the same age as your DD, Betsy, and I marvel at how much you have gotten done so far with your DH working all the time. Go you!
#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM

I didn't get nearly as far with my upstairs office area as I had hoped today. Man, I have a lot of crap. Maybe, too, I'm being extra picky as this will be where baby will be sleeping when it's not sleeping with us. My parents are bringing me a rocking chair (from when I was a baby!!! I can barely remember my old bedroom, my mom singing to me in Greek...just cute) for a nursing chair, and I need to make room for it.

Oddly, my cat did me a favor and peed on some stuff, so now I have no choice but to get rid of it. We did also get our desks switched. I'm taking a smaller one out of DH's office, and he's taking my big sewing table to put computer crap on.

He needs shelves bad. I need a place to put patterns and photographs. I feel like my cleaning has been stalled for lack of storage options.
#6 of 7 Old 04-08-2007, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you I was on a roll before I got sick and it's been so hard to get motivated again... It's funny when a cat peeing on your things is actually a good thing! Some of our linens got chewed up by mice two moves ago and it was great to be able to get rid of the shredded sheets : That was the move when I almost wished the house would just catch fire so we could start over again... right after dd was born...

I mostly get things done when dd is sleeping Though lately I've needed to take naps with her.

I got three boxes of books packed and labeled today and I measured about half of our records (I'm measuring by genre so that I can figured out what genres will go in what plastic bins to be most efficient and still stay organised somewhat...). I'm also measuring our furniture so that I can have the folks who will be helping us move in put the furniture in the right spot immediately so that I'm not having to shuffle furniture around after we get everything moved in... this way I'll know everything will fit where I tell folks to put it.

There's still so much to do : but as long as I do a bit every day I should be fine. Must avoid getting sick again...

Best wishes to all of you with moving and figuring out house-selling and such... wow. Hearing everyone else's stories helps me put what I have to do in some perspective

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#7 of 7 Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Apparently when we bought a 5 bedroom house it seemed like a good plan at the time to use the other 4 bedrooms as storage.

We've been clearing out like crazy because we have 10 house guests for this weekend. After 2 days of organizing we finally ended up just throwing out half of it. I'm sure down the road I'll realize I threw out something important but for now I'm not missing anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page