Weekly Thread may 7 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clara, seriously, your job sounds like a soap opera. Is this parent helper one of the parents of a kid in your class? How HORRIBLE that they would exclude her during a PARENT event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Yikes, Clara. Someone asked me this week if I missed teaching school, and I said, "No." No explanation, no excuse. I don't miss it. It was 8 hours of drama a day, and none of it came from the kids.

In other news, I gave in and got my mom her usual gardening supplies for mother's day. I always get her something for her garden. I did get her a little pair of kid-sized gloves though, implying that perhaps she and baby could garden together. That's about as sentimental as I get.

I need a nap.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Yes- The parent is someone I'll call "G." Her daughter, "M" is one of my kindergartners. "M" and "M's" little sister had been going to this facility for a while, and "G" decided that she wanted to spend more time with them. So, she was hired as part time staff in the building. "Part time" to these people means making these women come in at, oh, 7:30 AM for example. If the child count isn't high yet, they make them wait around, sometimes for an hour and a half, before they're allowed to clock in.

I know this is utter crap, and yet, this is a little country area of SE Michigan. Many of these women have little to no options in terms of work, and they get a small childcare discount if they bring their own children. Most have only a HS diploma and some extra daycare certification. So, sadly, many of them put up with it until something chaotic happens, and then they leave. 12 staff have left since last August. The only reason I haven't quit is because I actually have a teaching certificate, and they have no other options for a kindergarten teacher, so more than one time they've asked me to do something obnoxious, and I've simply said "Nope." There's not a lot they can do to me, without majorly screwing themselves over, and having to forfeit the remainder of the tuition in refunds to the parents. Plus, I'm completely attached to those students, and I don't want to abandon them to these nutjobs.

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Clara- What a soap opera! I can't believe they would punish that little girl for her mom quitting (especially when I would have quit way before that). It just seems like such an un-churchly kind of thing to do, but it fits with everything else they seem to have done. Good for you for not letting the whole program fall apart and for protecting your kids! You are a really good person for this and other stuff you do!

Good news!!!! I am getting my butterflies! They switched one over from another order. I kind of feel silly now, but maybe I just needed a good old cry to get it all out. I guess I didn't realize how much I am really missing my Granny this week, and all those emotions got piled up in this whole thing. Maybe I will make myself a new dress for Mother's Day and for my shower next week. I have a fabric with embroidered butterflies all over it. Come to think of it, that fabric matches the sling, too. Maybe I will have enough to make a bag, too.

The newest weather report says that it will be around 85 so I think we will hit the pool for some water therapy.

Thanks for dealing with my crazy pg emotions!!! I am so glad that we have somewhere to be crazy without non-pg people committing us! I am so sick of the manic-depressive feelings though! I don't mean any disrespect for anyone that is bi-polar, but I haven't felt this high and low and high and low since I was a teenager. Nothing like pg to bring out the good, bad, and ugly!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM

Mel - I'm so glad you're getting the butterflies! I was worried that I wouldn't get that one too... they didn't have my size listed on the site at first with that fabric. Somehow I managed to get both that I originally ordered...

Clara - that's horrible... I agree that's not very church-like behaviour :

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 05-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Clara, omg : all that drama! and the poor kids! you are a saint for sticking it out for the kids. seriously

Mel, SO glad you were able to get the butterflies.

as for me. i am in MELTDOWN mode. night before last i got like NO restful sleep. i was either 1/4 asleep, or fully awake ALL night, either helping Addy through a coughing fit (post nasal drip, uggg), helping DH through his nightmare drama, or being wide awake and unable to get back to sleep for an hour at least between helping them. ALL NIGHT LONG.
so i was very very tired yesterday. i was REALLY looking forward to getting sleep last night.
started putting Addy down for bed at 9:30 ish.
she didnt fall asleep for me and DH tagged me out at 10:50 when he heard me sobbing "please just go to bed!"
so i came out here and got online, and tried to relax while i hear them in the other room, he hasnt lost his patience yet, thank goodness. and she gets quiet.. and so does he.
he fell asleep while she sat on the bed playing quietly.
AGGGG!!!!
so i had NO patience to deal with it at 11:30.
i came back out here to take a breath and to turn off lights, lock up, feed the cat, etc.
and then i hear him yelling.
DH is a BEAR if he is woken up. seriously. he just turns into a bear that was woken early from hibernation, growling and yelling and has NO control over his words/temperment. grrrrr makes me really upset :
so i rush in. she had been telling him "daddy, i need to go peepee. i need to potty. please take my panties off, i need to potty daddy" and he isnt hearing her because he is jsut yelling "dammit Addy go to sleep, shut up and go to sleep!" OMG i wanted to beat the ever loving crap out of him i was so pissed. sure earlier i was STRESSED WAY OUT trying to get her to sleep, but i just cried, i didnt take it out on her, didnt make her feel badly, didnt freak out and tell her to shut up. i just cried in HUGE frustration. HE then gets mad at me for telling him to stop and be nice, and if anyone needs to STFU its him.
she goes potty, gets back in bed and goes to sleep snuggling me.
i have to get up to pee.
then i lay in bed for an hour unable to sleep.
fall asleep, then she starts coughing.
i am up.
for another two hours.
fall asleep just barely and DH rolls over and drapes his HUGE leg and arm on me. while i already had half of Addys body on me.
so i was up.
now with a blinding headache.
still have the headache.
its my day off. not DHs, so he is at work. i am home with Addy. and the headache from hedes.
and she wakes up an hour early!
and would NOT go back to sleep.
so i layed in bed sobbing in pain and exhaustion.
today is TV day for her while i lay on the couch and try not to throw up from pain.
and there is no one around to help me until after 4.
its only 11.
owwwwww

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM

I just got back from working out - thank goodness I was alone in the fitness room today!! I "Treated" myself and watched Baby Story today while I walked, and all I can say is............wow. Birthcenter, waterbirth, the mw/attendant stayed totally out of the way, didn't break her water or talk about any intervention at all, and Dad caught the baby. Mom immediately held her with the cord still intact, they didn't mess with mom or baby at all for the first while at all, took their sweet time to weigh and all that. THEN, in the actual room itself - a DOUBLE BED. And why was it good to be alone?? Because I cried like an idiot. It was so quietly beautiful, so family-oriented and so obviously parent-directed. I WANT THAT.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Tiffany~ That's ME!!! I could've written your post! Different reasons for waking, but then I can't fall back to sleep... you get it! Dh thinks that it's just me with these problems. I tried telling him that it's common in pg, and I'm an insomniac to begin with, so the baby's metabolism going all night is NO HELP with that!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Tiffany- I am sorry you had a bad night. I know how badly that messes you up for the rest of the day. Hope you start having a good day to make up for it!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Whew. It is freaking hot.

I told "G" just to stay in my room today. Haha, and shut the door behind all of us. She looked nervous, but did anyway, and I'm glad she did! They all had such a good time. I think the director was a little bent out of shape, as she had to cover "G" for ten whole minues (oh no! Not TEN MINUTES!!!) until another staff member arrived, but oh well. Sigh. She's way too easily led into doing things, and I feel terrible.

Mel- Yeah! Hurray for the butterflies! I knew they would pull through!

Tiffany
, ugh. Those sleepless nights. I have a hard time myself, and I don't have a wiggly little kid in my bed yet! : Hope you and she and DH have a busy enough day so that you all conk out tonight and sleep til the AM.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Clara- Yea!!! I'm so glad the mommy got to come to the party. Your poor, unexperienced (isn't she like 22) director! Wow! She had to cover for a whole 10 minutes? I bet she needed a nap after that!

I didn't think about it until your post, but I am more convinced that my grandmother is sending me the butterflies now. That makes me happy since I miss her so darn much!

I just got the biggest workout in the world!! I gave myself a pedi! I am a little afraid of going to the salon now because our neighbor got a nasty, has to have surgery kind of infection from a basic mani. So...I gave myself a pedi. I found that I could paint my toes if I lifted my foot to the bathroom counter. I guess I am more limber on one side than the other. One side was super easy, but the other side took 5 times as long (had to put my foot down after each toe). At least I have pretty, glittery in the sunlight, hot pink toes now. If Benji ever wakes up from his nap, I am taking him down to the pool for a few minutes. Woo-hoo!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Tiffany, that sounds like some of the recent nights around here. Mel, I'm glad you're getting your butterflies!

I yelled at my poor DS today and forced him into his carseat when he wouldn't get in. We usually try to avoid physical force whenever possible (we GD) and DS is usually a very cooperative, understanding kid. But he was tired just having come from his French class and a party and I guess was not ready to get in his seat, but I was so uncomfortable sitting there trying to talk him into it, and then wrestling with him, and my car was blocking traffic, and ugh. I just just YELLED at him to stop, pushed him into the seat, forced the buckles on him, all while he was crying. We both cried most of the way home , and then mercifully he fell asleep. The worst part about it was that the party we went to was a Mother's Day party where he gave me a present he made in his class (a bookmark that said #1 mom with a picture of him). I feel so awful. I'm going to go take a nap.

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Oh Heather! Easier said than done, I imagine, but try to not beat yourself up. Everyone has off days. Hope all was better after a nap.

Mel, LOL. Yup, she's 23-ish now, she had a birthday. I only feel weird because A) who knows how they will retaliate now towards her and B) in an odd way, am I utilizing "G's" meek way by coercing her to stay instead of leaving? Mental tie here.

My toenails need attention, and the risk of toe infections are keeping me from getting that well deserved pedi. The only thing is, the last time I clipped my toenails, I almost lost a few toes in the process- I had to flip my feet sideways to my side, and randomly clip without seeing. Which, obviously, can also cause infections. I wish my dog could clip nails. I do not want my husband to touch my feet- I have such major feet hang-ups.

Clara

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Heather- Don't feel bad! We have a rule that safety always comes before ANYTHING else. Some days you have a child that doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, but what can you do? I have had to force Benji into his seat a time or two, but I was always glad in the end that he was safe!

I am wiped out from the pool! It felt so good to be weightless for a while!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks, Mel and Clara, for the support. I still feel bad about manhandling DS (what was scariest was how angry I was when I was shoving him into his seat ). But yeah, I guess we both needed naps-- DS slept for 3 hours (!!) and I slept for 2! DH is the only one who did not benefit, as he just got home from work to find us waking up (at 5pm!) and since he does bedtime with DS he's not so thrilled about the late nap, lol.

Clara, I hear you about the toenails... mine are due for a clipping and I'm just not up for the body contortions it takes to get the clippers at the right angle! I have feet hangups too and have never even had a pedi because I hate the idea of someone else touching my feet (unless I'm wearing socks and making DH give me a foot rub )

Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM

whoa, am I ever behind!!

on ball chairs: who knew that you needed training?!! go figure!

on possums: they are actually the only marsupial (birth preemies that they keep in a pouch until they're mature, like kangaroos) on this continent! so that's always my defense for the little buggers. they do run short on cuteness, though and they can fight really fiercely too! and they do loooove cat food! that was **very** brave, fishing that one out of the pool!!

on other animals: our rooster, who we don't like anyway, attacked ds yesterday evening, so now ds is ready for us to eat him! but then we had a raccoon sniffing out the chicken coop today, in broad daylight. (they are usually nocturnal.) so maybe a mean rooster is a good thing. still, he's a goldkist reject and he's seriously harassing the hens (they all hate him!) now that he has "come of age." good grief!

on pregnancy: : pretty much sums up my week, along with KILLER lower back pain. I went to the chiro monday, she got things unstuck, then tuesday really popped and began to feel better. but then I got this head cold and was pathetic for two days, and today my back is seizing up again. I had acupuncture yesterday and that really helped with the cold, I think, although I am pretty much in the "ride out the symptoms" part of it now. : everyone I see says, "are you due like any minute?!" "no, actually, I have 8 more weeks." "REALLY?!?!" :

on remodeling: today was Plumbing Day. poor dh. he gets it all together and of course there are leaks all over the place, so off with the water, then on, then off, then on, then off... fixing leaks one by one until finally he's all done. next the electrical outlet for the whirlpool jets, then the tub goes in, THEN it will be in the "all downhill from here" state. I hope he can get that far tomorrow. he was supposed to go with me to my parents' neck of the woods and tune my grandmother's piano, but he just didn't get enough done on the plumbing today. meanwhile the house is a mess again but if I try to clean I think my back will be even worse, so I'm not going to do it. I'm going to let ds watch tv and eat pizza!

on the GBS test: yep, they'll be in your yoni for that one with a speculum and a swab! yeehaw! I wanted to skip it, but my mw said if we do have to transfer to the hospital that they'll do a full workup on the baby as if I were positive if I don't have the negative result in hand. so, I sucked it up. at least they don't scrape like for a pap test

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post
on the GBS test: yep, they'll be in your yoni for that one with a speculum and a swab! yeehaw! I wanted to skip it, but my mw said if we do have to transfer to the hospital that they'll do a full workup on the baby as if I were positive if I don't have the negative result in hand. so, I sucked it up. at least they don't scrape like for a pap test
So that is how they do it! I wouldn't know because I never had one with Benji. That meant that we got the antibiotics, but at that point I was so freaked out that I didn't care. I guess I will be getting that test earlier than usual this time.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:17 AM

Heather! I have btdt waaay more times than I care to admit-- we allegedly practice GD too! : we just have to forgive it and keep going. who knows what our kids will actually remember of what we do? probably they will remember some of our proudest moments as some of their least favorites!

I cut my toenails today too!! what an accomplishment!!

looks like all the leaks are resolved in the bathroom : now if dh can just get the tub in with the drain lined up right... come on, whirlpool tub!! :

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post

Noooooo!

I really don't want to be prodded. It's almost primal the way I'm feeling about it this time around.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:09 AM

Well geeeez I'd forgotten all about the gbs swab. : I'm feeling pissy enough about having to use an OB for a hospital birth instead of UC or what have you, but that just really kicks it.

I'm going downstairs to eat some ice cream in retalitation.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 AM

Heather, I did the EXACT same thing to ds yesterday and felt awful too. He was having a complete meltdown that we were leaving the farmer's market (not because he loves fruit and veg but because there's children's rides). I must have looked like such a sight. 32 weeks pg and carrying a screaming and kicking almost 3 yr old to the parking lot. I really thought I'd damaged myself. I really tried to calmy and sweetly coax him into the car but it just was not happening. Then I had to physivcally shove him into the carseat while he took each arm out as I put them in the straps! How does one do this with a new baby in tow too. Hmmmm.

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 PM

that happened to us on thursday with Addy she did NOT want to leave the park. especially the fountain. and she did NOT want to ride naked (all her clothes were SOAKED from the fountain we assumed would still be off) and i had to strap her in while she was screaming her poor lil head off sobbing and it was just traumatic for everyone involved

my yesterday got better. when my mom came to pick up my brother whom i watch after school for an hour. i had Addys old seat, that she does still fit in, so we took the diapers to her house to start prepping for the bebe. it was nice to just sit back and relax and zone out while my mom and Addy played all day long.
unfortunately DH didnt get tehre til midnight. so we didnt get to bed til 1.
but i got REAL deep sleep!!!!!! oh i feel SO refreshed today!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 05-12-2007, 02:55 PM

if you have time, please check out my thread in tao titled "so upset" thanks ladies:
Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnda527 View Post
if you have time, please check out my thread in tao titled "so upset" thanks ladies:
I posted on your thread. Try to relax and take some time for yourself before your DH comes home.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnda527 View Post
I really have nothing constructive to add over there, so I'll give you my big here instead.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM

amnda527- Just wanted to give you a hug as well. Not a cool thing to do to a pregnant woman.

: Ugh. I just got the bill today for the "ER" visit I had to take in Feb for a whomping case of norovirus. However, our insurance doesn't cover ER visits, but they do cover OB and prenatal stuff. I was never seen in the ER- I ws seen in L&D by an OB (hospital policy for emergency patients after 20 weeks) but I did stay in the ER waiting room for a few minutes.

So... do I ask them about this? On one hand, it was an emergency visit that had nothing to do with the baby, other than I was in such bad pain and delusions that I probably could have harmed my baby by not eating or drinking for so long. On the other hand, I had the pleasure of a very unwanted and unneeded cervix check that snapped me into painful reality from my hazy, illness induced fog...

Really now. I just don't feel like paying $220 for a fisting by a doc that I didn't agree to in the first place (as I never recall being asked if he could do that...)

Clara

ETA: On the upside of things, I also recieved, in the same batch of mail, my birth skirt. Looks cute and comfy and I hope I actually wear it! Something tells me my "Get Naked" response will kick in during transition.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:25 PM

Clara, sounds like a billing issue between the insurance company and the hospital's billing protocal. You might have to explain those very details to the insurance company - that you checked in at ER but were txfrd to L&D, and see what they suggest. Also, if the doc that examined you was an ER doc, than HIS bills might be what you're looking at, and not your deductible/copay/whathaveyou for an ER visit itself. Make sense? Good luck, I am ALWAYS dealing with insurance.

Today, at my stepsister's graduation party, I met a woman who homebirthed twins, 2 years ago, IN MY TOWN WITH 2 MIDWIVES PRESENT. I was all over her like sticky glue. I cannot believe that I'm nearly 7 months pg and just now met this person. I gave her my contact info and she's agreed to pass it on to the midwife, and here's seriously crossed fingers that b/c I so far along she'd agree to even consider seeing me, then agree to a prorated fee (as I won't need much more prenatal care!) and then that it's something we can afford. I *think* we might be able to do it, since what we still owe on our prenatal care + the hospital deductible will be about half of what she'd normally charge........ Cross your fingers with me!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Bethany, HOW COOL IS THAT!?! That's awesome. : for a good vibe from her, and the ability to transfer care. This could be your ticket out of the GBS swab, too!

The doc who saw me was the on-call OB for L&D that night, but I'm still not sure how that works. Well, I guess a phone call to the insurance company wouldn't hurt.

Clara

Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 PM

The docs, in my experience, bill their services separately from the stay or visit itself. So get billed for the room use and whatnot, then each doc bills out under their own pervue. So yeah, call the ins. company and see if that's just YOUR portion of what he actually charged, or if he's even filed with them yet.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Didn't read everyone's threads yet for yesterday or today, but wanted to post and say that Jee's "big girl room" is DONE!!! Dh painted it Friday, and I got up at 7am this morning to do it. It's now 9pm, and I JUST got out of the bath. My feet are KILLING me. KILLING ME!!! They've got to be swollen... I'm afraid to look! I'll post pics soon, as I still have to paint the shelf white and hang it up this week. Honestly guys, it's gorgeous. I put white eyelet on the bed, with white sheer curtains (that have medium-sized roses embroidered on them). The accents are all Disney Princess, but it's not overpowering, b/c I broke it up with the feminine white bedding, etc. The breeze was billowing the curtains this afternoon, it was so fresh and airy (and of course, everything was washed and ironed before being put in, so it smelled so good!) She's using my brass and cast iron bed from my childhood, so there's some sentimental stuff going on too! Oh, and I put Kalia's cradle together (also white; was dh's when he was a baby- all family members use it in his family.) BEAUTIFUL!!! I even put her mobile up, and was playing it... AAAHHH! I love this crap!:

Dh went out to a bar (friend's graduation party), so when he comes home, I'm seriously getting a foot rub (he does it the BEST!!!) He's coming home soon, so we both can put our little girl to bed, in her big-girl room, for the first time. We'll probably cry! They grow up so fast.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 

User Tag List