This'll rile ya... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At tonight's prenatal class, which I faciliate, we had a nurse come in and talk about different childbirth options. She did a pretty good job laying out options considering we live in the boonies in a state that doesn't license midwives or have doulas, and really there are no options.

Anyway, at the end she asked if we had any questions. I've recently learned my baby is in a breech position, and although I'm not really worried at this point, I asked what exercises could be done to turn a baby.
And she said there were none.
"None?" I say.
"None," says she. "It can't be done. If the baby doesn't turn, you'll have a c-section. Although, most babies turn when the contractions start."

So...how wrong (or possibly right) is she? And more importantly, where is a good place to get information on the opposing opinion for the prenatal class?
#2 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Um, when contractions start? I thought that, at that far along, baby has very little room to manuever, hence the whole idea of the external version......

Wierd.
#3 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM

I don't know where to get info... though it's probably somewhere on MDC already... but my midwife told me that in her experience, she has NEVER had a breech baby NOT turn if the mama did turning exercises early enough. So I would say that the lady at your class was pretty wrong...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#4 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Wrong.

DS#1 was coming out posterior transverse- side/shoulder first. My MW did an external version, and then an internal (ouch). He ended up delivering posterior after a 7 hr labor. It can be done.

Spinning babies is excellent for getting breech babies to turn. Used it with DD.

And if baby doesn't turn, breech babies ARE deliverable vaginally.
#5 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM

As long as your bag of waters are intact, and the baby isn't wrapped in the cord in such a way that they're immobile, they can turn through many ways. There are indeed exercises and methods that can be used, many of them in fact. I feel badly that this nurse is so misinformed.

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#6 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 AM

Perhaps she misinterpreted the question somewhat....

Maybe she meant something more like there ARE excersices but there is nothing that guarantees a baby will turn. In any case, she should be informing people that there are things to try.

Heck, even just lying down and/or trying the freezing cold trick, playing music, or shining a flashlight were things that were mentioned in our class- and are certainly worth a try.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 AM

I haven't heard that the contractions get the baby to turn, but I have heard that the baby can turn once the water breaks. Something about having more room and kind of a vacuum effect to turn. I don't know though. I know my doctor will do turning exercises if the baby hasn't turned so how can there not be exercises? That seems a little messed up to me!
#8 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 AM

I can't remember which book it was in, but one mom had an awesome experience where she was laying on the couch at her in-laws and had an impulse to ask the whole family to visualize the baby turning and they could actually see it happening! Sounded a bit far-out to me, but hey.. whatever works!

And, btw, she is wrong, wrong, wrong. Before there were c-sections those babies were turned or delivered just fine.

'Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#9 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 AM

Uh, yeah, way wrong! My ds was breech until 36.5 weeks. Per my midwife's suggestions, I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees crawling around (my floors were CLEAN). I also lay head down on a propped-up ironing board (at almost 200 lbs, THAT was tricky). There is also a chiropractic manuever that I tried (most practitioners that work with pregnant women should know it). Finally, on the day before my midwives were going to try a manual version, I saw an acupuncturist and he turned that night. Luckily, this babe seems to be spending all his/her time head down lately!

Here is a great site with info too:
http://www.spinningbabies.com/
#10 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 AM

anything that get your but in the air and you head down can help.
#11 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 AM

Contractions can help the baby in turning when they're almost in position- each contraction can sort of squeeze their bodies along in the natural turning movements they make to get themselves in an appropriate position.

That was a good idea that maybe she misunderstood the question. Maybe in her head, she was fearing the whole, "But you promised me this would work!" kind of thing!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#12 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM

My baby is breeech right noe and since Elliot was 24 inches ten pounds we are working at turning this baby ASAP. I am hitting the chiro for the webster menuver, doing flips in the pool. Lying in the plank postion feet and belly above the head. No reclining on the couch, cold by the head warm by the babys feet to try and "chase" it down. There are plebty of ways to encourage the baby to turn.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#13 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

So, I have a question. It looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time doing this in the next few weeks:http://www.spinningbabies.com/index....id=25&Itemid=2
How long do I do that for? A few minutes a day? Until I feel something happen? Until it completely drives my cats over the edge (if they hate the yoga, they will go totally batsh** with me leaning upside down on the stairs)?
Thanks!
#14 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Not to mention that she considers a breech an automatic c-section! (shudder!)

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#15 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Everybody has wonderful suggestions I would just add visualization is very powerful! Perhaps when you are upside down meditate and talk to babe that head down is the way to go!
Oh and my chiro swears by the Webster's technique! I would literally exhaust all options and then I'd just deliver breech.... if I was carry breech!
#16 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ftQueenie View Post
So, I have a question. It looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time doing this in the next few weeks:http://www.spinningbabies.com/index....id=25&Itemid=2
How long do I do that for? A few minutes a day? Until I feel something happen? Until it completely drives my cats over the edge (if they hate the yoga, they will go totally batsh** with me leaning upside down on the stairs)?
Thanks!
I'm crashing your DDC off of New Posts : because I wanted to let you know I did these exercises twice a day for about 5-10 min each time, and both of my babies turned; one from a high transverse lie (he was literally sideways rght underneath my ribcage), and one from breech... I did it with both starting around 32 weeks, I believe. I also did an acupressure site on the outside bottom corner of the pinky toenail; did that in bed at night while I was watching TV before I went to sleep.

Good luck!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page