freezer meals for after baby comes,recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was really wanting to freeze some meals for after the baby comes.i know i will NOT feel like cooking.anyone ever do this?any good recipes?what should i freeze them in?thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Hey, mama! We've got a great cookbook thread stickied at the top of the page where we've been swapping some freezer meals, and also some quick summer ideas. Give that a peek, and if you have any questions, let us know!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#3 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Yep! Check out the recipe sticky.

I freeze EVERYTHING. I wrap individual portions (or double portions, depending on my purpose) in aluminum foil and then put that into a heavy duty freezer bag, label and date it. It's easy to thaw in a sinkful of warm water, or let sit on the counter and defrost.
#4 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanx so much mamas!looking forward to getting started.my family will be so happy to be eating healthy food instead of fast or nonnutritous food!
#5 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 PM

I freeze everything in glass, foil pans, or freezer bags. The glass is best, but it can be expensive and heavy to have a freezer full of glass. If you have something acidic, it is best to avoid foil. I do have a food saver, and I love the results with that.

I have a bunch of the freezer meals I do in the ddc cookbook, but also google OAMC (once a month cooking) or search oamc on recipezaar.com. Cooking all at once is my favorite way to cook. I usually get a big pack of chicken and a pack of ground turkey, prepare it all, then freeze it. I defrost in a bowl or in the fridge overnight. I have a big monthly menu on the freezer so I know what I need to pull. My biggest problem now is figuring out what to make for the super hot months. Here in TX, we are already getting "too hot to cook" anything. We are having fajitas with pineapple and oranges tonight. Yum!

As for ideas, I check out the companies that do this. Sorry, but I can't think of any of the names right now. They post menus for 1-2 months, and I make my own versions of the stuff they offer. When I am stuck for new ideas, that really helps me come up with something new or weather appropriate.
#6 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks, Mel! I've been in a rut, and while I have a few whole chickens and about 8 lbs of ground turkey waiting to be cooked, I have no idea what to do with it. I cook mine completely, and make it into the actual meal so we only have to microwave, which is REALLY nice in the summer. But I've been stumped on new, easy stuff to make. Thanks for the oamc.com link!
#7 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 09:09 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=freezer+food

Bethany- I usually throw about 5 or so chicken breasts in a crock pot with 1/2 cup water, garlic, and other herbs. It cooks most of the day on low, and chicken just shreds when you take it out. I use that for chicken salads (dh hates canned), chicken enchiladas (which I make before freezing uncooked), chicken lasagna (once again frozen uncooked), or other chicken dishes. The cranberry chicken that I think I have posted goes together super fast so it can go straight in the freezer (uses whole breasts). I marinate more chicken breasts for 24 hours, grill it, cut it up, and freeze for fajitas. I freeze the tortillas at the same time so I always know I have them. Now...if I could just freeze taco shells....

Ground turkey- I made up a batch with 3-4 pounds of browned ground turkey with taco seasoning (make my own...think it is a oamc). I then freeze a pound or so separately. I also make a big batch of spaghetti sauce (oamc or one those kinds of bulk cookbooks), and I make a lasagna (using the sauce with meat). All of that gets frozen. The lasagna takes 2 days to thaw, but almost everything else defrosts a little faster. Hope that helps! If anyone wants to throw some recipes my way, we get into a rut here, too.

I have been checking out all the oamc and freezer cookbooks I find at the library. That has helped us add to our collection of good recipes. The only thing I don't like about a lot of the oamc meals is that they take TOO many shortcuts. I make my own pizza dough and stuff like that, and I hate to buy it canned. When you make the little things, the meals end up being much cheaper and healthier.
#8 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM

I do a whole chicken in the crockpot on low, usually overnight or outside on the patio in the summer if I don't want to heat up the kitchen. We shred that up and use if for salads and sandwiches - sounds about like what you do, same end result. I also use it for chicken pot pies and chicken spaghetti. I wonder if I've put that in the sticky.......

I know what you mean about shortcut and canned foods in the freezer-y stuff. Hard to do things more naturally and less expensive when you're using pre-made products.

I've been meaning to try your "hot pockets" the next time I turn on the oven!
#9 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Make sure you do a huge batch of the hot pockets. Otherwise, you might be making them again. I cook them on a pizza stone so they cook all at once and get a nice color. I think they taste much better than the store bought ones. They are also a great way to get extra veggies in kids. Benji's favorites are broc. and mushrooms with cheese. I like mine like I like my pizza (kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, my pizza sauce, and mushrooms).

I never thought to put the crock on the patio. What a great idea!
#10 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM

I also do the crockpot overnight, b/c an 8 hour cooktime is perfect - put stuff in 10 and go to bed. Since we get up at 6am anyway, turn it off and another meal done. I like to do it this way when I'm doing a lot of crockpot freezer cooking, so I can keep something going all the time.

If you're trying to keep the heat out of the kitchen, you can put the crockpot outside or in the basement. Before we moved into this smaller townhouse, I had a full basement with a killer laundry room. I put a large toaster oven (big enough to hold a square baking dish) down there and cooked casseroles in the hot summer months when it would have been insanity to leave the oven on for 2 hours at 375 degrees. I do miss that. If I still had the toaster oven, I'd use it outside as well. I do put up my patio umbrella to shade the crockpot, for some reason I have the need to keep it out of the direct sunlight, really I don't have any reason for this though. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page