puffy hands and ankles. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else suffering from these? My fingers are so puffy I can't easily close my hands, and my ankles are starting now too (not too bad, but they are clearly puffier than normal). I have an appointment today but haven't had one in two weeks. At my last appointment my BP was perfect (as it has been the whole pregnancy). Is it likely that I have pre-eclampsia, or am I just retaining lots of water? Anyone else have this and NOT have pre-e?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 PM

No pre e here but puffy feet and ankles.... by the time I get home they are so swollen it hurts to walk!
I asked my mw friend about dandelion and she said that it has to build up in your system so it won't work right away! She also said to drink more water, holy crap I'm not sure how much more I can drink I am drinking 80 to 100 oz a day! and to make sure I am eating, it is very hot and humid here right now which makes my appitite go down the tube!
Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I even resorted to lying on my back on the couch and putting my feet up for a bit the other night which helped until I tried to get up... now that was a funny sight!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM

I think some of that is totally normal without being signs of pre-e. Especially this last month+ and with the heat. Mine were pretty puffy but it has gone down lately with the (blessed!) cooler weather we started having. I have had great bp too.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Nothing here yet, but that happens more in the final weeks for me. I always swell a bit in the end and I've never had pre-e, nor any BP issues <knock wood>.

During my last pregnancy, my midwives explained their theory that some edema at the end is normal - it's the body's way of storing extra fluids in preparation for the massive fluid losses that happen during/after birth. I don't know if there's anything to that, but it sure sounds plausible, eh?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Oh and PS: For swelling relief, my doc prescribes an hour long soak in water submerged all the way over your shoulders. The water pressure apparently helps compress the extra fluid out of tissue and back into the bloodstream where it belongs...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:01 PM

I am hoping that I can get in the pool tonight and that it relieves some of the swelling! I didn't have any swelling with my dd's but one was March and one was Nov so heat wasn't an issue!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

man...it's my hands that bother me. I wake up in the morning and my whole arm is asleep and tingly and then I can't close my hands ever b/c my fingers are so big. it's crazy. Feels like there is a pinched nerve someplace or something. Maybe I need a good massage and chiropractic visit...humm...I don't know if there is one in town that works on preggos though.

I am drinking about 128 ounces of water a day...i worry that any more might be too much...I'm going to try the dandilion though b/c it's good for me anyway!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:10 PM

The whole puffy hands and feet thing went on for weeks with me without being a problem. The doc always checked them, along with bp and weight gain, and I told my dh and my co-workers to let me know if my face started getting puffy.
This last weekend, my SIL noticed my legs had gotten really swollen, and the next day I felt awful, and went in to see the doctor. Sure enough, my bp had shot up. No pre-e because there was no protein in my urine. Just hypertension.
Just have it monitored. The real change for me was that I *felt* different. I wasn't just puffy. The puffiness wasn't going down at night and I was so tired that I could barely drive, was calling people the wrong names, etc. If you start feeling really spacey, it's time to make a call.
My OB also recommended soaking my hands and feet in epson salts. She did attribute some of the swelling to the weather, as well.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM

My OB told me to lay on my side on the couch with my foot propped up above my heart for 20 minutes a side twice a day. That's helped a lot and so has getting dh to rub my feet at night to get some circulation going.

I wonder if a soak in spa in the evening without the heat turned up would help.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 PM

My hands are, also, really swollen- and my BP is still really low. I noticed today that typing at work was becoming hard- luckily today was my last day of work. My feet are swollen enough to be tight in my biggest shoes- once again lucky that today was my last work day and from here on out I can live in my birks
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 PM

I'm 37 weeks today and have had tingly, sore and slghtly swollen hands for the past several weeks. It turns out that pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome is quite common and is often the culprit for the swollen and painful hands and arms. When I asked my midwife what I could do to help the discomfort she just smiled and said, "have the baby." I'm definitely looking forward to doing that!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednaldine View Post
I'm 37 weeks today and have had tingly, sore and slghtly swollen hands for the past several weeks. It turns out that pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome is quite common and is often the culprit for the swollen and painful hands and arms. When I asked my midwife what I could do to help the discomfort she just smiled and said, "have the baby." I'm definitely looking forward to doing that!
Is that why everytime I hold a pen or needle for more than a minute, my middle fingers go numb?

"Have the baby" is beginning to seem like the cure for a lot of things!
Oh cure please come soon!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

slight update:

no protein in urine and my bp is up a bit (130/75) but still not "scary" according to the midwife...she doesn't think my swelling looks like a big deal AT ALL. She said "honey, you don't even know swelling". OOOKKKAAYYY...then i feel REALLY bad for people with REAL swelling. man!

thanks everyone

User Tag List