Weekly thread~ July 2 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 149 Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My peak insomnia hour is around 3 in the morning. I usually pop on to read and then try and lay back down.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#122 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 AM

Speaking of pacifiers .... here is a super cute picture of Aizen with his green bug one!! The other night he found his thumb and I just had to take pictures. I'm such a shutterbug. LOL

Blessings,

Denise
#123 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudhsmommy View Post
Speaking of pacifiers .... here is a super cute picture of Aizen with his green bug one!! The other night he found his thumb and I just had to take pictures. I'm such a shutterbug. LOL

Blessings,

Denise
OMG he is such a cutey!
#124 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 AM

I'm pretty bummed tonight and I'm not sure why. It's late and I should be sleeping.

I felt like I was ready to wait until however long to have this kid, but since a few days ago I suddenly hit this point where I'm impatient. This DDC is hopping now, pumping out the babies left and right, and I don't want to be one of the last. I was one of the last in my Dec 05 DDC (my baby was actually born in Jan), and it really sucked at the end when the focus switched from pregnancy to everyone discussing babies. There I was, still waiting to have mine. Writing this makes the whole woe is me crap sound stupid. Anyway, the DDC is not getting me down, just being pregnant for what feels like 3 years is starting to wear thin.

I do want to say a heartfelt Congratulations to everyone who have their babies now. I might miss saying that in the individual threads as my 2 young sons keep me from responding though I can manage to read about the births. I hope you all stick around and show us pics of your beautiful little ones, and tell us stories of their first days in the world. :
#125 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 AM

Panthira, I feel jealous of just about everyone right now. I know it must suck but it also sucks feeling under pressure of induction. Hang in there and we'll all be waiting with the blow horns and balloons

Awaiting the arrival of my reflexologist who very kindly said she would come to mine. I don't know if it will help but I think doing something marginally normal instead of checking how much water I've leaked onto the towel between my legs can't hurt. I've asked my friend to go home, just incase feeling like a host is holding me back, though I must say she's be oten wonderful, took Oscar swimming yesterday, made dinner, etc. I just want to be alone now though, perhaps a bit like a cow or a sheep, actually dog or cat or any other animal for that matter. I want to hide in a corner of the woods and be left alone to start contracting.

to all with prodromal labour. Again I wish I was where you are right now
#126 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

pillowhead~ What are you doing to get things going? I hope you're walk, walk, walking!!! and maybe squatting... get babe down really low to put more pressure on your cervix, get things dilating faster. I don't know, just trying to help. Good luck! (sorry you are going through this! )

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#127 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel L View Post
Speaking of nursing vs. just hanging out at the breast, Bella got a paci for the first time at about 4 am this morning. She has been going through the 3 week growth spurt, and I am feeling it. After having her at one breast or the other for about 5-6 hours last night (all after going to bed), I couldn't take it any longer. I knew she had nursed with swallowing and all that just 45 minutes earlier, but she would not calm down for dh. He had taken her to let me get a little sleep. She just kept screaming louder and louder, but she didn't want to eat. She just kept licking me. Finally, I had had enough, and I told dh that he could fish out the paci we had for emergencies. It worked! She went to sleep, we went to sleep, and she nursed like usual (actually a little less than normal) a little later. I feel bad for giving it to her, but I was just not getting any sleep last night (well...none of us were). I also have a sinus infection/cold/allergies/whatever so feeding her from a side position was actually making me feel worse. Time to see what a hot shower will do for my sinuses!
Don't feel bad- Pacifiers can be a great tool. There's a difference between using one as a plug- like "here, shut up baby" And what you were doing. When ds was very little he would get SO upset and frustrated each nursing. I finally realized that if he was screaming, I gave him the Nuk for a bit 'til he was calm, then he'd nurse normally. Some babies just have really high sucking needs too, and some moms/babies can use breastfeeding only to pacify, but that wouldn't work for us. Ds used a Nuk 'til he was about 1 yr old then one day I gave it to him and he just looked disgusted and spit it out. I think it was because he was still breastfeeding and by that time nursing was meeting all of his sucking needs.

Pillowhead I hope you're contracting nicely, or have your new baby right now.

Today is Dh and my anniversary. But doesn't look like it'll be our babies birthday too. Of course I guess I *could* go into labor and things could happen quickly and all. But I'm only 5 days overdue- can't be too impatient yet.

Last night my mom babysat and Dh and I went on a date- we actually stayed out 'til 10:30 at night (gasp) We got to have a nice dinner and go to a play (applause) It's been SO long since we've gone to a play. This one was "The Underpants" addapted by Steve Martin- so very funny. A great evening, except by the end of the show it was later than we expected, and I had to pee, so I was scooted out of there quickly. Well, Dh's company (that he owns) had underwritten this show and it was opening night and Dh neglected to tell me how important it was to him to chat with people afterwards, so he got all grumpy after we got home: I really hate it when a great evening ends on a sour note. But other than that it was an unexpected and lovely anniversary date.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#128 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 AM

Well, I think I'm in this pregnancy for the LONG haul. DH and I celebrated our anniversary last night at this super amazing restaurant. OMG, it was AMAZING. It was food art.

For the curious, here's a link to a review of this place.

Anyway, I figure if my water didn't spontaneously break at one of the nicest restaurants in Phoenix, it ain't gonna!
#129 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Bee, what a beautiful restaurant! It looks awesome. What did you wear? (LOL, I ask because as I look at their site, I'm trying to picture what I can still fit into that would be appropriate for that sort of restaurant!)

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#130 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Alissa~ so, why didn't he just tell you that before you guys left? You could've gone to the bathroom and went back in. I hate when people do that to me... tell me AFTERWARDS when something has gone wrong!

Had my midwife appt. yesterday. Last week, I was totally closed up and baby was not in my pelvis yet. This time I'm 1 cm dilated (external os) and still closed up (internal os). Baby is finally in my pelvis (soft -1) (what does the word "soft" mean when used in front of station?) Of course we both know I could go anytime, but her opinion is that I've got some more time (YEAH... my mom gets back from Punta Cana Tuesday!!!) She said that I just don't feel ready yet. Oh, and baby's still ROP/ROT. Not quite posterior, but almost. She thinks that it shouldn't be a problem though b/c it's my third baby and she's not that big (maybe only 6 1/2 lbs.) She thinks she'll turn fine during labor/delivery. : (I wasn't very happy about her going into my pelvis while still almost posterior, b/c then can't she get lodged in there in the wrong position? My midwife says yes and no. Yes she can get lodged in there wrong, but she can still turn, it'll just take some more time and be a little more painful. great.)

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#131 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Anyway, I figure if my water didn't spontaneously break at one of the nicest restaurants in Phoenix, it ain't gonna!

#132 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee'smom View Post
Alissa~ so, why didn't he just tell you that before you guys left? You could've gone to the bathroom and went back in. I hate when people do that to me... tell me AFTERWARDS when something has gone wrong!
I KNOW!!! At least it's rare for Dh to be like that.

I think soft means beginning to efface. Softening in preparation to stretch open.

Luckydog- Happy anniversary! Dh was saying to me- "so, is your water going to break at the theatre?" He thought that would be very funny. Thanks for the restaurant link- we never know a really good place for dinner down there. Just in case you're ever in Flag the place we had dinner last night is amazing- the best in town http://www.brixflagstaff.com/ for some reason it's funny to me to think of us both out last night at nice restaurants huge and pregnant. Hard to dress up with this belly.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#133 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post
Bee, what a beautiful restaurant! It looks awesome. What did you wear? (LOL, I ask because as I look at their site, I'm trying to picture what I can still fit into that would be appropriate for that sort of restaurant!)
Thankfully the dress code there is "business casual." I had ONE outfit that was appropriate - khaki capris and a long, blousy printed babydoll style top that's just crisp enough to be a little dressy. It's basically a work outfit and it baaaaaarely still fit. It was a little tight across the tummy, but that was only noticeable to me. I think it would have been too tight by NEXT Friday, tho!
#134 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissybug View Post
Thanks for the restaurant link- we never know a really good place for dinner down there. Just in case you're ever in Flag the place we had dinner last night is amazing- the best in town http://www.brixflagstaff.com/ for some reason it's funny to me to think of us both out last night at nice restaurants huge and pregnant. Hard to dress up with this belly.
That is funny we were both out on the town last night at this stage of pregnancy! It was such an extravagant night for us and the timing did help us rationalize it - it was our anniversary celebration AND our last big hurrah before baby arrives.

Anyway, next time you're planning to come to Phx, let me know, I can give you TONS of restaurant recommendations. Although we totally need to arrange an AZ meetup one of these days!

So what did you have at Brix? It looks like a yummy place. Will totally want to check that out sometime. The last time I was in Flag was en route to Phoenix (1 mom, 1 minivan, 3 kids, 4 DAYS cross-country driving. Thank heavens for gameboy!) and we ate at the Cracker Barrel lol.

Anyway, I just blogged the details of our meal last night, for anyone who is curious!
#135 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissybug View Post
I think soft means beginning to efface. Softening in preparation to stretch open.
But she used the word "soft" in conjunction with station. She said "You are a soft -1". She already told me that I was "soft, 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced", then after that, said I'm a "soft -1". So what does that mean?

#136 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Maybe a "soft -1" in that context would mean malleable; like it's a -1 with some wiggle room? Like if she wanted to be specific she could say -1, closing in on 0? Not sure!

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#137 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Keri, all that really matters is that you're still pregnant! I can never remember what all the stations, positions and whatnot are, I just know that I"m either pregnant, in labor, or post partum.
#138 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 PM

I simply cannot take the night time drama in the boys' room anymore. In truth, I don't care if they sing and dance and throw a party until midnight, as long as they stay in there and I don't have to do anything about it. But, it's creeping later and later when they fall asleep, and Mark gets up EARLIER in the morning when he doesn't get to sleep at a decent hour. EARLIER. Like, before 6am. And Tom doesn't get up with him. He just simply will.not.drag.his.butt.out.of.bed to get up with the kid so I can sleep. So I'm up at night, doing housework and then some sanity time, and then I lay in bed until after midnight, just wide freakin' awake b/c I can never, ever sleep when I'm pregnant. Then I have to wake my happy self up at 6am to change a wet sleepy diaper, dress a whiny, clingy, overtired toddler and start the day while trying to keep Mark from waking up his brother. And the days keep getting more and more unhappy, b/c Mark is so tired and whiny from the start now.....

Tonight, MT was asleep when Tim went down at 8:15, but the room is a mess. I stepped on something, it made noise, and UP he came. Tim then proceeded to get up about 3 times to pee, and then decided he needed the door wide open, so MT has been standing there, talking and chatting and calling to me. It's NINE OCLOCK AT NIGHT. These kids are supposed to be in bed at 7pm and 8pm respectively, and tomorrow is going to SUCK SUCK SUCK.

BREATHE, Bethany.
#139 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 PM

Uugh, dh vent.
My husband can't keep a secret... and I feel silly complaining, but we both know he got me a ring for this baby. Very sweet thing that he does is get jewlery every so often and something he did for ds#1. I wish he didn't know that I knew the secret.... I HAD figured it out, but then he called to ask me my ring size-- so he of course he now knows I know.

He hinted that he spent a lot of money but I needed to look at the credit card bill for something unrelated and GEE boy, he wasn't lying. I'm sitting here listening to him for months complaining about the grocery bills or anything I might suggest we could use for the baby, or for our house, or whatever and he does this. On a ring. I mean what I expected he meant by 'a lot' and at least triple it.

Uugh. I'm not a jewlery gal either, but I love that he does this, it is like the one sentimental thing he does. And he has good taste usually, when we dated he bought me pink teddy bear earrings and anohter time some large costume-jewlery like thing. For whatever reason, when we got engaged and looked for rings he got serious about it and has good taste, much to my surprise.

I wasn't able to even wear jewlery for at least the fist 6 months with Josh, any time I did I'd scratch him horribly... besides I also have weird hands that swell up or shrink with temperature changes and rings never fit quite right, so i'm always paranoid of losing them, but I can't ajust the size too much because they won't fit me half the year.

And I'm HORRIBLE at faking when I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed (can I also add that red is a color I hate and MY birthday is July, so I already have ruby stuff galore).

Somebody smack me for complaining, I need it. I was already skeptical about how much I'd like it-- I'll be red white and blue with the 2 rings I have currently-- how do you wear 3 rings??? But I wanted to make the thought count and be super appreciative, but that was before I knew the $$$$.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#140 of 149 Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 PM

On a more positive note, I'm having fun skimming thru and seeing all the new babies. I just can't seem to do anything but skim around.

Happy birthday babies!!! And wonderful birthing vibes to all of us that are in waiting!!!

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#141 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 AM

Jessica, I know exactly how you feel! I've never been really into jewelery until I got engaged/married, and now those rings are all I wear and a pair of diamond studs.

DH got me this amazing(and unbelievably pricey) ruby and diamond locket as a present right after I had the baby. I had this horrible feeling when I saw it because I know it meant so much to him and I just kept thinking I'll never wear it. After talking to my mom she really just told me to pick my battles and that this was not one of them.

Once I looked at it again I fell in love, it's there to remind me about my DD and that's what's important.

On my ring finger I have a family heirloom from my mom(given on the wedding day) engagement ring, and wedding band. When I wear them all I have rings to my knuckle, but honestly I love it. It makes me feel special.

Could you wear it on your right hand?
#142 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post
Maybe a "soft -1" in that context would mean malleable; like it's a -1 with some wiggle room? Like if she wanted to be specific she could say -1, closing in on 0? Not sure!
Sounds good to me!

Bethany~ I just HAD to know what it meant... I'm an Anatomy and Physiology teacher (and biology geek), so I MUST know what everything means!!!
(Sorry to hear about the awake kids!)

#143 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 AM

All this talk about jewelry made me realize something. My mom has this thing where she buys jewelry (I am one of only 2 girls) when her girls have babies. I got a sweet locket with my son. I really need to find it, put both pics in it, and wear it. My dh and parents gave me a pair of fancy earrings years ago, and now I have the matching necklace. The necklace, my present from mom and dad, is made of pearls. She has had it since they bought the earrings, but that is this baby's birthstone. Mom said that I can give it to her when she is much older. That would make a nice wedding present someday VERY far away. I guess she was always meant to be a June baby!

Jo- I am with you. I usually only wear a pair of small studs and my wedding/engagement ring(s). I have been wearing a small butterfly necklace for a long time though. No one would have guessed that!
#144 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Good morning, everyone... hope you are all well. I wanted to thank you, Mel, for your kind words of encouragement about having a stand-by OB-- I have heard lots of women say that they had great experiences after all with someone new, despite the initial stress of it. I appreciate hearing the positives, though! We are all really tired here this morning... DS1 got the stomach flu yesterday when he woke up from nap (covered, poor guy), and continued throwing up every 5-20 minutes until 6:30 a.m. Ugh... to add to the intensity, I started having BH, some really strong, every 5-8 minutes apart starting at 7:45 p, and they continued off/on throughout the night. I talked to the baby a lot and asked him to pleeeeaaase not come right now, especially since DS1 has a fever now, too, and couldn't even come to the hospital. I am having some intermittent ones this morning, and hope I can get some sleep today so that I am not exhausted by the time labor does start. Please send some vibes this way that Eli gets well quickly, and that this babe waits many days to come. Thanks! So hard to see our little ones feel so crappy. They are so brave! And so resilient. Inspiring for labor when it does come...
Sending good thoughts to you mamas as you deal with your respective stresses... I am feeling super sensitive right now, and think that is par for the course, and a rather hard part of the endish waiting. Hugs to you all
and have good days.
#145 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

bluebird~ I hope kids feel better soon and baby stays in until it's all over! Good luck!

#146 of 149 Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Ugh, bluebird. I'm sending you healthy kid vibes definitely!

My ds is prone to skin bumps, rashes, horrible chapped lips and I got a little giddy today realizing that I, right now!, have milk/colostrum to express and put on him so that he might FINALLY heal some. I am waiting until night to sneak some on his irritated cheek. He keeps licking and picking all the time and nothing ever has the chance to heal. I remember my breastmilk being *magical* so it's exciting realizing I have the mojo back!
#147 of 149 Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I feel the same way! When my dd had weaned for several months, and had gotten a couple of colds, I used to make her "special milkshakes" with my bm in it (and bananas) (I snuck it in of course, she'd be so mad if she found out!): It is magical! and I'm also going to be so glad to have some back (even though I am tandem nursing right now- soon to be triandem nursing- I lost my milk around 3 months pg.)

#148 of 149 Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Speaking of breaskmilk magic: I stirred breastmilk into my dd's cereal each morning during her first year of preschool, while I was nursing ds. She didn't get sick once that year! BTW does it bother anyone else that the abriviation for breastmilk is bm??!? I just can't get past that enough to use it!

Woke up today telling myself it will not be the day the baby is born (trying to acually believe myself) I am taking the fam to see Ratatoui (sp) in theaters. DH is off for all of July and is driving me nuts- I feel like a watched pot-which remember, NEVER boils!
#149 of 149 Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
DH is off for all of July and is driving me nuts- I feel like a watched pot-which remember, NEVER boils!

ugh, i felt the same when my dh took a week off the week b4 last. the annoying thing is that Josh was in a 3 day 3 hour summer camp and I had really been looking forward to having some me time.

Jessica

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page