Natural remedies for postpartum ickiness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if any of you have favorite natural remedies for all those joyful postpartum issues. Like, what are people planning on doing for afterpains, sore perineal areas, hemroids, soreness in general, etc? Are there any tinctures or teas that help with bleeding or baby blues?

I was looking at my Kissaluvs Diaper Potion and was thinking that it might feel nice on a sore perineum since it has things like witch hazel, TTO, lavender, jojoba, etc. Anyone else? Sorry if this has been discussed before. I haven't been around as much as I'd like to be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Great question - I don't think this had been covered yet.

For a natural healing remedy, try Arnica.

For moodiness, try Bach's Rescue Remedy.

For sore perineum and hemorrhoids, witch hazel (or Tuck's pads).

Not sure, but RRL tea likely is still a good thing to help your uterus contract back to size.

For afterpains, I remember taking Advil before (also helped with general soreness of the entire crotch region!).

Anyone else got stuff to add, or refute?

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, sounds like you've got it covered Jen! I remember those nice Tucks Witch Hazel pads. I need to add those to my shopping list!

And yeah, I lived off of my prescription Ibuprofen for those afterpains. I would gladly labor naturally and give birth twice if it meant not having to experience those. Why do they have to hurt SO bad?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 PM

I know its not herbal, but after having my ten pounders....Advil was my best friend!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 PM

One more thing - ice that crotch every hour, especially in the first three days PP! Feels so nice....

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 AM

They gave me the tucks with witch hazel at the hospital this time, and they were really nice!

I have also been doing a lot of self medicating with chocolate! Since I didn't like choc. at all before I had my son, I think it is all kind of funny.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 AM

How about sore, cracked & bleeding nipples? I'm putting Lansinoh lanolin on them, but I wonder what will help toughen them up faster. Had the same trouble with dd, but I don't remember what I did! Good thing Thomas has the cutest blissed out look on his face when he's got a tummy full of breastmilk. :
Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw221 View Post
How about sore, cracked & bleeding nipples? I'm putting Lansinoh lanolin on them, but I wonder what will help toughen them up faster. Had the same trouble with dd, but I don't remember what I did! Good thing Thomas has the cutest blissed out look on his face when he's got a tummy full of breastmilk. :
Ouch ouch I remember those days! 'Soothies' (sp?) gel pads really helped me. I think you can buy them at Walgreens. You can put them in the fridge and then put them on your sore nips after nursing. It feels great. Also express some milk onto your nipples after nursing and let them air dry...not always appropriate if you have guests! If they get unbearably bad and wounded (mine did and I still have scars to prove it) then use nipple shields for a couple of nursings to open up Thomas' latch a bit and to give your nipples a chance to regenerate tissue.

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 07-07-2007, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have some "Afterease" tincture a friend gave me. I'm assuming it's for uterus pains and general ouchness.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

What does your Afterease bottle look like? I looked for it in my health food store, but I never found it because I really didn't know what I was looking for
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 AM

I got my afterease online at Cascade. I have never seen it at my health food places, but it comes in a dark colored bottle, about 4 oz maybe?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:23 PM

i used cramp bark tinture (viburnun opulus) for afterpains, but i have to admit that i haven't gotten them too bad (unless i'm tandem nursing both children at the same time...yaowzaaaa!) they had it at our neighborhood coop. it's distributed by herb pharm - the little dark bottles with the yellow lables.
: but, i'm with you, mel, chocolate has been my secret "medicine". it tastes soooo good after being so hyper-food/sugar/gluten conscious during pregnancy. my dosage depends on the day!
and my midwife gets an ice pack in her birthkit that you just twist and it gets all cold but still soft - probably not the most eco-friendly chilly thing to sit on - but it was heavenly.
and a friend gave me some herbal afterbirth sitz bath mix - i love that stuff - bit i wish i had a bigger bowl!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 PM

I've got some Afterease too- sm brown bottle. I asked my midwife aout afterpains last appointment and she turned to my husnad (which I thought was great) And told him that soon after I have the baby- like within the first hour, he should get me a class of water with the Afterease in in as well as maybe 4 Advil. She recommended I keep taking the Afterease every couple hours or as needed, and taking a normal dose of Advil every fours hours, or whatever the bottle says.

For sore perineum my MWs make little compresses out of boiled Comfrey leaves that they roll into.. paper towels I think? And put them in your fridge. They feel very nice when cold. They also leave a peri bottle for spraying after going to the bathroom, and I'll have comfrey leaf tea in that.

Primrose oil supplements can help re-balance hormones.

And this time I went to an herbalist and told her I wanted something for after I have the baby to help me know I am taking care of myself. She gave me a nutritive tea with extra nettle and oatstraw added.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:51 PM

barb- Warm wash cloths and warm showers were the only thing that really helped me get through that first week or two. I would nurse next and leave breastmilk to dry on my nipples. I used lanolin for all of 2-3 days, but I didn't see much of a difference. Plus, that stuff stains (maybe no more than breastmilk).... Someone also suggested black tea bags, but I got the problem under control before I tried that.

Also, this may be common sense, but I thought I would mention it one more time for everyone reading this. Don't use any kind of soap or the like on your nipples since it strips off the natural oils. My mom and I had a talk about all the changes in info over the years. Mom was told over 30 years ago that she had to sanitize the nipple everytime she fed the baby. She also wasn't told what a good latch would feel like so she thought I was biting her the first time I latched. Needless to say, she tried bf for 2 days before switching to the "just as good" formula. I have been thinking about that a lot this time. This has almost been a more difficult baby to nurse because she is such a good nurser. My nipples get a lot of use, and they have just gotten more sore than with my first. We are still learning though....
Old 07-07-2007, 01:13 PM

dampened (not soaking wet or it will be like a chunk of ice) pads in the freezer felt great in the few days after birth with my first.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Just wanted to add to the nipple care issues...

The idea is not to "toughen them up" so much as make sure they stay supple and soft. It's probably nearly impossible for the first couple of weeks as you're both still learning, but keep up with the Lansinoh. Leaving breastmilk to dry on them is also good, as it's a natural healing agent.

When DS was a newborn, my midwives gave me a prescription for special nipple cream that was developed by Dr. Jack Newman. It was amazing and healed the cracks in no time. Also very soothing. If you do a quick google search it should come up. A pharmacist needs to mix it, so you need to go to a compounding pharmacy (pretty common). If your nipples get bad at all, it's worth the trouble to seek this out, trust me!

If things aren't that bad though, I'd recommend keeping up with the Lansinoh after every feeding to keep them soft. The no-soap thing runs along the same lines - soap is drying and harsh.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Amazingly, after my UC I didn't have any peri pain. I was VERY lucky! I had no tears, just a skid mark. I didn't even use the comfrey stuff I had. Never used cold pads, witch hazel, anything. I took ibuprofen the first two days for the cramping I got everytime I had to pump milk.

I credit laboring in warm water as the reason why I didn't have any vaginal tearing or pain.

HOWEVER, I was PLAGUED by post partum edema (didn't even have it while pregnant!). I didn't have a chance to rest much, so this was a huge problem. So my only recommendation is having B6 and potassium in some form to prevent swelling.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Did anyone mention cold cabbage leaves for sore breasts? I've heard it before, but have never personally tried it.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post
Did anyone mention cold cabbage leaves for sore breasts? I've heard it before, but have never personally tried it.
LCs no longer suggest this becuase there is debate that it "works" to relieve engorgment becuase it acually reduces milk supply...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 AM

I have always heard cabbage leaves just for weaning, too.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
LCs no longer suggest this becuase there is debate that it "works" to relieve engorgment becuase it acually reduces milk supply...
Huh, interesting - I never heard that.

I've used cabbage leaves for engorgement and I will say that it DOES work (crack the spines first). I don't recall any supply issues as a result, but I suppose I used the remedy sparingly. And would be even more careful about it now knowing this tidbit - especially if I was already having supply issues...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

bumping up...

ne other sitz bath 'recipes' ?? I wasn't impressed with just plain water.

Tip DON'T use always weave type pads if you have stitches... youchers.
I learned that the hard way last time around. We are not so bad this time. (Plural, huh, it felt like between that and my breast issues last time, they had taken on a life of thier own.)

Use your breastmilk before and after nursing on the nipples and after, let air dry a bit.

Last time I went out and bought a donut pillow at a pharmacy to sit on.

Okay, vent....
I'm still a little uncomfy this time, but nothing like last time. I'm so mad my midwife gave me an eipisotomy last time. 6 lbs 6 oz the first time compared to 8 lbs 1 oz and with the hand to her face this time.... and I tore along my scar line so who knows if I would have even tore this time or this far if I had not been compromised the first time.

This time 2nd degree tear and I'm not in 'pain' just discomfort. Frist time 3rd degree with pain for weeks. Uugh.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM

i took some arnica every few hours and had much relief with soreness, etc.

my peri wash recipe that feels like heaven: witch hazel, Eo's of myrrh, chamomile, and lavender ( 30-40 drops of each in half bottle of witch hazel)
Mix in an irri bottle 1 oz. and fill the rest of the way with cool or warm water and squirt on perineal area after using the bathroom or when bathing or whenever you want. Feel so nice and helps heal the area.

also, froze some pads with squirts of witch hazel instead of water.

herbal sitz bath: goldenseal, myrrh, chamomile, lavender, comfrey (i think that is all- bf brain: ) also good to float baby in and heal his cord

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 AM

For a sore perineal area, I got a kitty litter pan (NEW) which I will use as a home made sitz bath. I will add some witch hazel to it (just some of the stuff you get at the store), plus I have some comfrey leaf tea steeping in the fridge which I will strain out and put in the sitz bath, along with some epsom salts and some hot water that I add yarrow flowers to.

I also got some overnight pads that I put water on and froze, this is supposed to help with the swelling...don't know if any of this stuff will work, but that is what I have ready for me.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Afterease update: At least for me, the stuff really works. I've been taking it when I nurse the baby, since that's when the cramps are the worst, and it either lessens or stops them right away.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Sore breasts...

lots is coming back from my bad experience w/ Josh, and we are doing fairly well but she still has a latch that needs to be tweaked so I have a litte pain (but nothign like w #1)

Ok, for air drying those sore nipples... when you cant just walk around with your shirt off

Use a styrofoam cup as a shield, cut off the bottom so it is open and then adjust the height to what works for you. Edited to add, I wear a sleep bra to keep it on.
It holds your shirt away from the nipple, yet allows the air to flow.
And would make madonna's cone breasts jealous
Warning you might leak a little from the pressure, but the breast milk is probably good as that is so good for healing too

(Yes, make sure you use breast milk on your nipples to help heal them, and before and after nursing... I always did this and then applied any nipple apno, cream or lansinoh/lanolin)

The other tada solution I thought of today was to use the Avent bottle caps that can be used for bottles or bottle storage (a flat plastic piece pops in where the nipple goes).

I didn't have any cups I could cut and I snagged those, popped off the middle and walked aroudn with those on. I can't stand having my shirt or my son or Rebecca against me so I need a shirt as a barrier. I leaked a little, and leaked a little less when I turned them around. That way the flat part distributes the pressure a little bit better.

Some leaking... and this may or may not work depending on breast/nipple size, but may be worth a try.

Hope that makes sense.

Just make sure you remember you are wearing them. I am amused to say that I saw my neighbor and went out to tell him we had the baby- and about 25 minutes later after I got inside realized that I had had them on. I also had leaky milk stains on my shirt, which I could care less about... but the obviious odd shapes protruding from my currently huge breasts were probably quite freaky... even most people familiar with bf'ing may find it quite strange, dh's going to find it amusing, I'm sure (my breast shields and my fumble).

OOps.

Off to nap...

Jessica
(Stylin breastfeeding momma)

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Just make sure you remember you wear them. I am amused to say that I saw my neighbor and went out to tell him we had the baby- and about 25 minutes later after I got inside realized that I ahd had them on. I also had leaky milk stains on my shirt, which I could care less about... but the obviious odd shapes protruding from my currently huge breasts were probably quite freaky... even most people familiar with bf'ing may find it quite strange, dh's going to find it amusing, I'm sure (my breast shields and my fumble).

Ok, that is stinkin' hilarious!

Clever Idea, though!

Alayna

Alayna
mama to Braden (9), Caleb (3) & Julie (16 mo)

User Tag List