making prodormal labor more comfortable-update post 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a while the prodormal labor wasn't that bothersome. I would have 3-5 hours of contractions that would be 15 minutes apart and then they would peter out and i would have nothing for days. but for the past 2 days i've had annoyingly uncomfortable contractions all day, just no regular pattern or anything. i wouldn't mind this if real labor would just start but these uncomfortable/painful contractions that aren't going anywhere are just getting tiresome. so what are all of you prodormal labor mamas doing to make yourself more comfortable (i would prefer to nudge things in the directions of labor rather than just making the contractions go away since I'm almost a week overdue already) I've tried going for walks and have probably 15 pineapples in the last 3 weeks. we've tried sex but it's a bit uncomfortable since the baby is so low. baths to relax are just WAY too hot but i've tried swimming when i can.
#2 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM

That was me with my last pregnancy- contractions every 20 min or so for days... it was so exhausting. I'd actually recommend against long walks because I did that last time and really wore myself out-- on top of not being able to sleep well at night. I think my body was actually so tired it was inhibiting active labor (when my contractions finally became regular at 6 min apart we went to the birth center and progressed no further for hours ("stuck" at 4 cm dialated)-- I was given a sedative so I could finally sleep a little, and only after I woke up did active labor start). If I were you I'd try to rest as much as possible- or at least intersperse walking with resting so you don't wear yourself out too early! Do you have any distracting projects you could work on while you are waiting? Sorry, I don't have any advice other than the typical about getting labor going-- I too have eaten many pineapples in the last week!!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#3 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM

I don't really know what to do at this point. I have tried bumpy roads which bring the contractions on nice and strong but they go away in about 2-3 hours. I have tried sex. I have tried a cohosh tincture. I have tried foot and neck massages. I have tried warm showers and naps. I think I am about to the point of castor oil. However, I DO NOT want to try that nasty stuff.. get regular contractions.. and then have them go away again. I can't mentally handle much more start and stop. I don't mind being this pregnant/big/uncomfortable/sore etc.... but I can't do the neverending labor thing anymore. I am stumped. I know she will come when she's ready but the prodomal labor and painful 6 hours of contractions that turn out to be nothing are terribly discouraging! Hugs to the rest of you waiting, and waiting. I am thinking of all the other mamas in the same boat and it is keeping me sane knowing that my body is not a lemon and will eventually get it right! I hope for my mental state it happens soon
#4 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM

A glass of wine at bedtime is a popular midwife trick to help relax you AND your uterus. No promises, of course, but it was the magic bullet for me with my last labor. It was enough to stop the contractions (for the first time in DAYS) for about 5 consecutive hours. That break enabed me to get a little caught up on sleep. Around 3 am I woke up to contractions clustering at a new level/intensity and DD3 was born about 12 hours later...
#5 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 06:06 PM

For me a nice warm shower seems to help.. I'm not sure if it really makes me anymore comfortable but it definitely clears my head. I think I use the shower as meditation.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#6 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

well perhaps all i needed to do was post about the problem! middle of the day today the contractions finally got regular at 10 minutes apart. around 4ish they picked up to like 8 minutes and are actually painful now. dh says that i finally LOOK miserable enough to be in labor. we'll see where things end up
#7 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Kristen! Here are some good labor vibes for us both!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#8 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Go Kristen! Good luck these next few hours!

food is my favorite is my sweetie, papa to 8/07 due 6/10 10yo no eggs yet!
#9 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 08:23 PM

labor vibes all around! Wishing you the best Kristen.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page