Update (long) birth story post #18 Leland Richard is here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow- My huge little baby is in my arms as I type this. 9lbs 6oz! And I didn't tear!- YAY!! His birth was doozy, but we are both doing great. I just keep thinking, "wow- I did it- amazing." Here is a link to our blog whic has pics and a brief description of the birth that dh posted: www.squeakpatrol.blogspot.com. I'll fill you all in later on the details if you like.
Thanks for your support. We're so happy and in love with our newest son

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 PM

He is big and CUTE!!! Congrats, Alissa! Snuggle in and enjoy!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 PM

YAY! Congratulations, mama! Very cute little guy indeed.

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Congratulations! He's adorable!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Aww what a precious soul- enjoy your babymoon!!! Congratulations!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM

That's great! Congrats and savor every moment of your babymoon.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM

yay i was thinking about you!!!!!

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Alissa, you are just glowing! You could not look any happier, and your babe is beautiful! Congratulations, mama and family! So happy all is well...
Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Congrats! He is beautiful! Love the car, too, but I don't know that both seats will fit in there.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Oh, Alyssa, he is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a whirlwind birth! I am so glad you are finished and he is here!! Congrats to you sweetie! Enjoy that precious baby-man & the rest of your babymoon!!!

Alayna

Alayna
mama to Braden (9), Caleb (3) & Julie (16 mo)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Congratulations!! He has the cutest little mouth!

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Awwww, he is just so stinkin cute!!! Happy babymoon and keep posting pictures of your little cutie.

Blessings,

Denise
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM

Congratulations!!!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 AM

congratulations Alissa! What a big cutie-pie you made

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lurking from the Oct DDC, but had to say Congrats! What a gorgeous little guy! Enjoy your babymoon!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Congratulations!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the story of my posterior nine pounder:

Sunday I woke up feeling worried about the baby, and called the midwife asking her to come over and listen again. When she came over; baby sounded OK, but not great. That being the case, I asked her strip my membranes. She did so; she said she'd had it done to her, so she tried to be very gentle- it was not as painful this time as with ds#1 for sure.

Only about 1/2 hour after she left I had a little contraction accompanied by a warm wet feeling *water broke!* I called my Midwife all happy and told her I hoped I would be much less cheerful next time I talked to her (boy was I). Continued puttering around the house. James was already at my brother's, so we didn't have to worry about him.

Contactions during this time were hardly painful, but I was losing more and more mucous plug so I knew things were happening. Dh started filling the birth tub. Around 5pm I played a card game with dh and ctx were getting stronger. By 6 I said we should time them, and over the next hour they went from manageable to crazy pain. They felt different than my first labor. During this hour I had gotten in the tub a couple times, which provided some relief, but not much, then I'd just have to get out to go pee. The ctx were so hard- I was really having a hard time finding any way to remotely be comfortable. Dh was wonderful- at one point I was in the midst of really deep pain and I heard him say "It'll be a beautiful baby", and that got in to me and helped so much. I found myself during some contractions repeating, "I can do it, I can do it" And sometimes, "it will be done, it will be done, it will be over"

Whew- Around 7pm, when dh called the midwives, I wound up pushing some during the contractions. By the time Midwife # 1 showed up I was pushing. She walked in and went- "oh- I better get set up" I heard her calling the other midwife and saying, "I just walked into Alissa's, and she's pushing" Midwife #2 and apprentice showed up at some point. I could not find a good position to push in. Each contraction brought pushing, but didn't feel right. Instinctualy I felt things weren't as they should be. They didn't feel coordinated, and I actually found myself wondering if I could do this. We tried a number of different positions- my legs would get so tired I wanted to find a way to rest, but couldn't.

The baby was stuck. And then we began hearing heart decelerations on the doppler. Serious heart decels that were scary to hear. They got oxygen on me and we tried more positions but he wasn't coming down- I could feel it wasn't working. The midwives were having me push while trying to stretch things out and sometimes rubbing the baby's head to keep the heart rate up. They told me, "let's try one more push in a squat and if that doesn't work we'll need to go to the hospital, this baby might need help." Squatting didn't work-

So during pushing labor I had to get on a robe & get into the car with my oxygen and lay on my right side. : Somehow made it to the hospital, out of the car, walked into L&D, into the elevator, leaning on WONDERFUL Dh through pushing contractions. I made it into the room they had prepared for me and onto the bed, and all that movement had helped baby turn enough from posterior that my pushes started working. SO GREATFULL!!! Pushing suddenly felt SO MUCH better! Only about 10 minutes after arrival I was crowning- they didn't even have time to place an IV on me. The doctor on call walked in after the head was out and put a bit of traction on it to help get the shoulders out. Once he was out and we found out we had a boy, they weighed him and I was shocked to hear he was 9lbs 6oz. holy moly- no wonder he was having a hard time turning in there. I was just so glad he was out and I couldn't believe I did it. I felt so amazed to have such a whirlwind birth and wind up at the hospital and STILL have an intervention free birth with both of us healthy. I am so greatfull for how it all turned out, I can't believe I had only an hour of active (though be it killer) labor. Then about a 2 1/2 hour second stage. And I'm feeling really good- better than after my first birth!

Well thanks for reading what felt like an epic to me. Birth is such an amazing experience. I guess that stays the same for each baby born

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 PM

wow - beautiful story - so glad things turned out OK and you got your natural birth - even with the hospital transfer!

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM

COngratulations, what an intense birth story!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

User Tag List