Oliver Matthew is here! Birth story in post #8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe I have a baby already... I was totally prepared for the long-haul and my labor came as such a shock I sort of wound up emotionally fighting it all the way. :

Anyway, he's here! Born at 10:37 last night (July 18) healthy and nursing frequently, and 8lbs 3 oz and oh so beautiful. I'm still in complete disbelief that this happened already. I WAS 2 days past my due date, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised but I *totally* wasn't expecting him til next week:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These things always take you by surprise, especially if you think you know how they will turn out. Sounds like a quick and easy labour? or am I reading into things. Congratulations anyways and i can't wait to read your birth story.
Welcome Oliver Matthew
#3 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 AM

congratulations!!
#4 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM

congrats! i can't wait to read the birth story!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#5 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM

CONGRATS! Sounds like an awesome surprise labor! I can totally understand not being *ready* emotionally, but hopefully now that it's over and done with you can process it for as long as you need to! I can't wait to hear the whole birth story and see some pics of your sweet new baby!!

Congrats Again!!

Alayna

Alayna
mama to Braden (9), Caleb (3) & Julie (16 mo)
#6 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Congratulations!! I love the name Oliver-- it's one of the names we considered for this baby.

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#7 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Congratulations and welcome baby Oliver!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#8 of 9 Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH took the time to write this up, so I thought I'd post it...

Quote:
Jen awoke at 5:45 Wednesday morning feeling like she had a little gush, and thought her water may have broken. She was also having semi-regular but not overly intense contractions every 5-10 minutes, so she gave Pat a call mid-morning. Pat decided to come over and have a look. Grandma took Sophia out for much of the day so we could focus on getting things moving, so that was nice.

We took a few walks around our neighborhood (she even climbed our hill!) early afternoon, which seemed to bring on stronger, more regular contractions. At this point, Pat offered the option of an internal, and we were all curious to know if anything was actually changing, so we accepted. It turned out she was already at 4cm, but her water had not actually broken at all.

We then had some lunch, after which the contractions began to really get more intense and regular, so Pat called Linda and I filled the pool. I believe I recall Pat stating that she first got in the pool at 5:15. Over the following 5 hours, Jen was in and out of the pool several times and mostly walking around when out (and going to the bathroom a lot, much to her chagrin!). She would have several strong contractions, and then they would become lighter and more spaced again. This varying intensity went on for hours and was not getting her to transition.

By 10pm, it was obvious Jen was becoming exhausted and frustrated, so we elected to have her water broken in hopes of moving things along more quickly. Her water was broken at 10:15. This seemed to immediately throw her into transition, judging from her demeanor (feeling like she could no longer handle the intensity). She went to the bed and vomited forcefully for a few minutes. After that, she said she felt the baby coming down, and that was at 10:30. After 7 minutes of "pushing" (she did very little pushing, as her uterus just decided it was time to eject the baby), Oliver was born at 10:37, only 22 minutes after her water was broken and she had been 7cm.

This 7 minutes was far more intense than the 2hrs of pushing with Sophia because it was so fast and thus painful (she told me "imagine feeling like your balls were being ripped off"). The aftermath was much better, however, as she barely had any tearing (no stitches) and wasn't so sore all over from a pushing marathon. She only used 2 ice packs!

It was incredible to see Oliver shoot out so quickly after having watched Sophia go in and out for hours. On the way out his first breath happened to be in a pool of fluid, so there was some intensity around getting him to cry enough to clear out, but he pinked up in no time, and was nursing within minutes. Also of interest, his sack was more normal sized, about half that of Sophia's, which was interesting, but it was also nearly perfectly symmetrical and still very strong (no tears).

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 9 Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Great job, mama ! Thanks for sharing the story, Papa! What an intense time... hope you are all feeling better and settling in with your new sweet boy. I love the names of your kids, by the way-- beautiful! Congratulations!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page