Do you wear your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still on "bedrest" as my baby is 6 days old today. (Getting stir crazy here )

DH has tried wearing our baby in a sling, but it's like he can't get him in there correctly. The baby slides down way deep into the sling and buries his head sideways. It makes him mad or makes me nervous if his head is too buried. We tried a rolled up receiving blanket, but it seemed to make baby uncomfortable.

I pulled out one of my Mei Tais (ahem, we have several as they are my favorite carriers), and put baby in that, walked him around, and he LOVED it. It seems he does better in more of an upright position, at least till we figure out the sling thing. DH is now wearing the sleeping baby in the Mei Tai while doing chores. He wasn't sleeping, he was fussy, till DH started wearing him. Awww a break. :

Anyway, do you wear your baby? What carrier do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 06:46 PM

I have a Bjorn. I needed something asap, and that's all I could find locally as I don't really care for slings with newborns in them. I LOVE the Bjorn, and we've used it a lot already.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 PM

We don't wer him all the time, but definitely do if we are out somewhere, and sometimes at home. I usually use a ring sling, Dh has a pouch that I made him, and ocasionally I use an Ergo. I love my carriers. Couldn't do without my sling. And I'm really excited that dh is up for baby wearing this time around. I think he's happy too. We went to a potluck the other night and dh was so bummed that we forgot his pouch at home. Also new this time I have a solarveil sling which is nice because it's not too hot. Actually that's where ds is right now. He seems a bit fussy today and wearing him helps.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:58 PM

None of my babies have ever liked to be held in a cradle hold position in a sling. They know that that position is for nursing and they EXPECT to be nursed if they are held like that. I have found that upright positions work best. In a ring sling you just put the baby with their feet curled up beneath them and their head snuggled against your chest. Pouch slings work well for the same position too.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 PM

i have a hotsling and a moby wrap - we (baby and i) both like the moby better.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 PM

I have a Kangaroo Korner Adj. Fleece Pouch, and I love it! I use it wanytime we go anywhere. I also have a Moby Wrap, and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet--Owen cries in it, and rarely cries any other time.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Anyway, do you wear your baby?
OMG... YES.

Quote:
What carrier do you use?
My uterus.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, though, I carried my babies in the past (OTSBH ring sling) and have a gorgeous stock of carriers on hand that I cannot WAIT to use: Baby Hawk mei tei, Mamma's Milk pouch sling - plus a couple simple ring slings.

C'mon Jakey!!! (NST was good again today. Lots of contrax today, but definitely not any kind of active labor yet. Soon, I think, though. Soon. Got a lot of stares walking around the mall today!)
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Bee!

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Bee LOL

We have a pouch that we have been mildly sucsesful getting Mark in it with out crunching up his head. We found that wearing him very low works best- it is good for walking around, but not for doing chores because he is not tight to your body.

We went out and got a moby last week and Mark loves it. I had thought it would be too hard to use but the woman at the store helped show us how to put it on with mark upright on my chest. We like how tight it stays to your chest so you can get up and down and lean over.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 PM

I have a mamma's milk that I am using all the time. I wear it when we leave the house for walks, in stores, and on pretty much all errands. I wear it in the house sometimes, but I find that I can't really do chores in mine. I prefer to put baby down to do chores because I never got the hang of making sure baby is safe while I do chores. I have one for dh this time, but he hasn't used it yet. He really prefers the bjorn, but he hasn't used that yet either. I want to make a mei tai because that would hold the baby kind of the same way as the bjorn. Dh prefers an upright baby so he can program all night while holding the babe.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 PM

The sling issue with newborns is why I love a front carrier. I didn't want the Ergo, so I got a Bjorn and so far I really do love it. I know he'll outgrow it sooner than later, and at that point I'll use a ring sling to carry him around. He feels really secure for me to do things like vaccuum, make a sandwich for the boys, fold clothes, etc. Heck, I even JOGGED with him in it this evening trying to keep up with MT on our evening walk!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 PM

nak'n

k.. for the love of everything holy I am trying... I did get a bjorn kind..love the closeness

would someone please tell me in a step by step way in stupid terms how to put J in a Ellaroo w/o him sliding out the bottom?! this is the one I have... I want him just like that baby.. how? does he need to be older or something?... where do I start wrapping it around?.. like where does the first end go to start wrapping?... I need help and I can't find my way around the threads over there @ the wearing posts... (sorry to hi-jack)
Bee~ that is great!!!!!!

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 AM

Hehehe Bee that made me laugh!
I have 3 moby wraps - my good friend is the San Diego sales rep for Moby and so she gave them to me as a baby gift = so lucky! Jasper loves to be in it and always falls asleep in there. It's great for grocery shopping and quick errands. Good bit of advice - just put it on and wear it before you get into the car and then you can just easily slip baby into it at your destintaion rather than struggling with the wrap when you get there. I also have a maya pouch which jasper doesn't really like because of that cradle hold position. Must try the upright position in there like pp suggested....

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Pink - Have you looked here for wrap help?

I loved my Moby for my last baby, but it's just way too hot here for it right now. I have a beautiful Didymos that has the LLL logo on it that I'm waiting to try out when it gets cooler.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 AM

I've been using our ring sling (not my favorite but works ok as long as I have a receiving blanket behind DS's head) but I really want to start with my wrap and/or our Ergo with infant insert. Problem is that I'm still healing from my c-section and I'm worried that anything around my waist will be painful or irritate my incision. Can any c/s mamas or prior c/s mamas tell me when I'll be able to comfortably use my more preferred carriers???

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 AM

Yes!!! If I didn't wear him I'd get nothing done! I use a sling, and I've found a trick that works really well for us. I swaddle James FIRST before I put him in. That way he's a little 'thicker' and doesn't disappear into the bottom. Also, since he doesn't sleep well unless he's swaddled, if I dare take him out of the sling after he falls asleep, he still feels snuggly and wrapped and it's not as likely to wake him. It works well for us!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:01 AM

I'm using my old sling a bit and have just ordered an ellaroo but I haven't been out much and she sleeps all the time! I have put our bouncy pram downstairs to lay her in and I'm trying harder this time to put her down a bit, let her have some time by herself and not have her expect to be held all the time. That is so different from last time when i held Oscar every waking moment but I remember him at 15 months (and have the video to prove it) crying, screaming to be held if I put him down at all. But I am excited about my ellaroo and will take her out of the house in that.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilllowhead View Post
I'm using my old sling a bit and have just ordered an ellaroo but I haven't been out much and she sleeps all the time! I have put our bouncy pram downstairs to lay her in and I'm trying harder this time to put her down a bit, let her have some time by herself and not have her expect to be held all the time. That is so different from last time when i held Oscar every waking moment but I remember him at 15 months (and have the video to prove it) crying, screaming to be held if I put him down at all. But I am excited about my ellaroo and will take her out of the house in that.
alot of that has to do with personality. i held my first (dd) all of the time. my second (ds) had to be put down a little more, b/c i had to take care of dd. well, ds ended up being much more clingy and everyone i know with both boys and girls told me that boys are much more clingy!

i use a maya wrap ring sling alot. you can put a newborn in it without them sinking to the bottom by pulling the tail in the middle to bring the material in the middle up. now they're not in the bottom anymore. i hope that just made sense. but if you have a ring sling with padded side rails, you cannot do what I just said.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a slingling pouch that I LOVE... it's very like the hotslings (but less expensive, from what I've seen). It took me a few tries to figure out how to get him in there comfortably, but it's just great.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
Pink - Have you looked here for wrap help?
OMG... I love you!! : Thank you so much!!!

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a Lucky Baby pouch, a Peanut Shell pouch, a Cuddlywrap, and a mama-made mei tai. So far my babe likes the wrap best, but it's so hot here, and I'm not exactly a pro at wrapping, so I use the pouches more. The Lucky Baby seems to cause the baby to sink down like you're describing -- I think it's because it's a tad bit too big for me. You might try a smaller pouch.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Coming back to add that I mostly use my carriers when out in public. We don't do much babywearing at home -- we just hold him.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM

We have an old Maya wrap and a brand new way cool mai tai that I can't wait to use. I'm champing at the bit to get to feel more myself so that I can experiment with it all.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Coming back to add that I mostly use my carriers when out in public. We don't do much babywearing at home -- we just hold him.
Us too- we just hold her all of the time. I wear her sometimes when I have to cook, clean, or take care of the other kids.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 AM

I can't go anywhere without getting comments on my moby wrap. I love it! Today I nursed her while shopping. COOLEST THING EVER!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM

another babywearer here! asher looooves to be held. i have a hotsling and 2different mei tais, and love both for different purposes. asher actually loves the sling(kangaroo carry, not cradle hold) and i'm sure it's because he can see out. he prefers to be in the sling as well during his fussy time at night. i use the mei tais when grocery shopping, or when he'll tolerate them--they're my preferred carrier, just unfortunately, they aren't his!

i also had a moby wrap which i didn't care for, and am currently saving PP for a beco!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 AM

I tried my wrap today and it didn't bother my incision at all and was sooo comfy! Yay! I really am not fond of my ring sling (OTSBH) so I'm so glad to have the wrap.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntG View Post
I can't go anywhere without getting comments on my moby wrap. I love it! Today I nursed her while shopping. COOLEST THING EVER!
How do you do this exactly. I tried this yesterday in the kangaroo hold and it worked but felt a little uncomfortable.

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

i have this sling and it hurts my back to carry the baby in it!!!

which is such a shame b/c the couple times i have used it Natalie has LOVED it! Maybe i can get DH to carry her in it. I'm hoping that once my body recovers from birth and my joints stop being so lose i won't have this problem anymore! Which reminds me i need to go hunt down my snugglie from dd1 and see in Natalie likes it (even though i think she may still be too small for it)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Just want to make sure everyone knows about the videos on this site-- they are SO helpful!

http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=173

User Tag List