Our Birth Story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally posting our birth story! Sorry so long...

I did end up being induced. This was my second induction so I *thought* I knew what to expect but it ended up being so different. But in such a good way.

We were scheduled for induction on Monday. We went to hospital at 7am and got hooked up to the usual monitors. I was only dilated to 1cm and 0% effaced. I got the cervidil and DH and I settled in for a long day. We actually had a good day despite being in the hospital setting. We read. We napped. We watched some movies. We talked. It was QUIET compared to our home full of toddler squeals, cries and laughter and we were amazed just how terribly much we missed the girls. End of day and I had made no progress. Despite our distance, the doc encouraged us to go home for the night to see the kids and rest. As soon as I got home the contractions hit and stuck around most of the evening. But it was good to be home.

Tuesday I called hospital and they were booked. Hung out with the girls all day and did nothing. Had a few contractions.

Wednesday they had room so off we went again. I sobbed the entire hour ride in. I was already missing the girls and didnt want to be away from them again. It was a beautiful morning and DH put some music on the radio and I snapped out of my funk. Got to the hospital and was put on monitors. Cervidil was put in again b/c I was still only slightly dilated and not effaced. About an hour after it was inserted the doc rushed in and removed it b/c the contractions were so strong and constant they were afraid of my uterus being hyper stimulated. We stayed all day and I had contractions but nothing too uncomfortable. Again, end of day and I hadnt had much progress so I was offered a bed or I could go home. We opted to leave to see the girls and get some rest.

Thursday I called again. They had room. We made the drive and it was a much different drive. I knew I would be facing pitocin so I knew (or hoped) I would be holding my baby sometime that day. Despite facing the pitocin, I was excited to get there and get the nasty pitocin just so we could meet our baby.

Doc checked me when we got there and I was 3CM and 50% effaced. A bit of progess I suppose. I was contracting so they held off on the pitocin. I had pit with my first labor and it was a hellish experience. Doc knew I wanted to avoid that again. 11am and pit was finally started. Ctx started right away. 1130 and my water broke. What an amazing feeling. I never felt it like that before. The staff left me alone pretty much to labor as I wanted with a bit of monitoring here and there.

I had a huge mug of RRL tea with lunch. Half way through the tea and my ctx went from breathable to WOW. All of the sudden I had severe back labor and felt as though my back was breaking. I had this with my first labor and it lasted for two days. And it ended with two hours of pushing.

230pm and OB checked me and I was 4CM and 50%. I caved and asked for the epidural. All I could do was remember my first labor and how hard it was and how long it lasted. The epidural didnt show up until 4:00. By then, I was moaning and singing and making noises I didnt think I could make. I was shaking and shivering and sweating all at once. The nurse helped me sit for the epidural and all of the sudden I felt my baby come down. My body was pushing without my help. It was too late for the epidural.

The OB checked me and the baby was right there. One push and his head was out. Another push and his body was out. It was AMAZING! I did it! The most amazing part was he was on my chest as soon as he came out. I didnt have that with my other two. They were whisked right away. I held him and cried with him. He nursed before the placenta was even delivered. He was 8lbs 12oz. at birth and 21.5" long. He is just perfect!!!

So I went from 4cm to delivery in an hour and a half. So much different than my first labor which was two days of pitocin. I do believe the RRL had a huge impact on this. I experienced sensations and pain that I had never felt before. With my first two labors, I had epidurals when I was 4CM so I never felt transistion. I only wish I had realized what I was feeling was transition so I would have known the end was in sight.

If you had asked me immediately after his birth if we were having more, I would have said no way. I cant go through that again. But alas, I am so in love with this little guy that I have almost forgotten the pain. His big sisters are in love as well. He is nursing like a champ and a great sleeper.

Congrats to everyone on the births of their babies!
#2 of 3 Old 08-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Sounds like a great birth Congratulations!

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#3 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 12:10 AM

Congratulations!

I had the same experience with transition- I asked for drugs during it thinking that the pain was too much to expereince for hours- and four contractions later I was pushing. Next time I will ask to be told when I am in transition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page