I Nip! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so dang proud of myself! I never got up the nerve to NIP with ds and I used to just give him bottles of formula while we were out and I think it was part of my sudden milk supply issue with him (I suddenly dried up at 4 mos and he was completely on formula by 5 mos). Ds was a lot more predictable though at this young age because he was jaundice and always slept in 4 hour blocks. Alexia is much more "normal" though and sometimes goes 3-4 hours and sometimes only goes 20 mins with no real predictability. So I just had to get over it and do it. So yesterday I nursed her at Sweet Tomatoes, twice actually, while I ate my dinner with my mom. Then today I had to nurse her when we went out to breakfast, and then again at the play place at the mall. It's so much easier then I thought it would be!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Awesome Rachel!!! Good for you for making the healthy choice for you and your babe. You'll be a pro in no time
#3 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Whoooooo!!!!
#4 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Yay!!!

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#5 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 PM

nip is great
i did it today at a coffee shop
i think my biggest one was at the mall in front of two men. there were two sets of 4 chairs, you know those lounging areas at the mall, and each group of chairs had two men and two empty chairs. my friend and i picked the most distracted men (one had a book and the other got up when we took our boobs out) and went to town and it was great! so liberating. it was like...this rite of passage in being a momma. the first few times i used a blanket...but now, blanket shmanket.

good for you
cnn.com had a thing about breastfeeding recently...i wonder if i can find the link.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/08/09...ing/index.html
the best part:
"If you're uncomfortable seeing my baby eat, you are welcome to cover yourself with this baby blanket. I'll let you know when we're done"

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#6 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 PM

Good for you! I've nursed Thomas in restaurants, parks, on an airplane, leaning over the carseat in the back of the car in traffic (damn uncomfortable btw), and even walking around Target looking for dd's school supplies.
#7 of 15 Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 AM

With my 1st, I always nursed in the car. With my 2nd, I always nursed in a changing room or in a corner somewhere in the back of the store.

This time around...LOL...With the two other little ones it just isnt as easy so I nurse whenever or wherever my little guy wants.

Just this week we all went on a road trip. Had to stop midway at an oil change place to get car looked at. It was hot outside and I wasnt going to nurse in the car inside the garage. We walked into the reception area and it was pretty much filled with men. Everywhere. I sat down in an empty chair next to a man who was reading Sports Illustrated and watching CNN. There was ALOT of testosterone in the place. We nursed right there. Yay me! The best part is how supportive and proud DH was (and always is).
#8 of 15 Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw221 View Post
Good for you! I've nursed Thomas in restaurants, parks, on an airplane, leaning over the carseat in the back of the car in traffic (damn uncomfortable btw), and even walking around Target looking for dd's school supplies.

I leaned over the carseat to nurse my daughter and later my littlest son went around telling everyone how Mommy has "really looooong breasts!"

This week I have nursed in the car, in the sling, in the maya wrap (not easy)at a church for DS's school orientation.....(they kept telling me there was a nursery I could use but I politely declined).

Good for all us NIP mamas!
#9 of 15 Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM

I've so far only nipp'ed in places where I feel comfortable, b/c my reduction scars are pretty obvious, and I have to squeeze the living daylights out of my breasts to get the milk to flow.....it's not the easiest thing to do in a public place. I've done it a few times though, loved it!
#10 of 15 Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntG View Post

I leaned over the carseat to nurse my daughter and later my littlest son went around telling everyone how Mommy has "really looooong breasts!"

This week I have nursed in the car, in the sling, in the maya wrap (not easy)at a church for DS's school orientation.....(they kept telling me there was a nursery I could use but I politely declined).

Good for all us NIP mamas!
Sounds like nursing is going good for you - I remember doctors telling you at the beginning that Charlotte probably wouldn't nurse well. I bet your dd is glad you didn't believe them!

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#11 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 AM

I nursed in the hospital waiting room (labor floor- not scary at all), in my car and at a maternity store. I really want to feel comfortable in more public places, but I am not sure how to start, and this is my first and we are both still learning how it works it takes us a while to latch on some times. Any advice? Do you experienced NIP moms have tops that work better? Do you drape a cloth over you? How long does it take you to latch, I am worried about the minutes of my boob hanging out without a baby on it
#12 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Amy-As your baby gets older the latching on part gets easier. I always just have worn regular shirts that I can lift from the bottom. Sometimes a button down that you only unbutton a few buttons can feel more discreet. I don't put a blanket over myself nless baby needs it in order to stay focused. My saving grace has been to learn how to nurse in a sling. This gives me more cover up if I wind up felling uncomfortable. One good tip I got last time is to nurse your baby at home in front of a mirror. This can give you an idea what others are actually seeing. And finally the best thing I've found is to just take a deep breath and do it. If you come across as confident (EVEN if you are faking the confidence) people mostly seem to be just fine with it. Actually I've found that lots of people don't even notice. That has been my experience- good luck, and be forgiving on yourself. All this stuff takes a while to learn

#13 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommaamy View Post
I nursed in the hospital waiting room (labor floor- not scary at all), in my car and at a maternity store. I really want to feel comfortable in more public places, but I am not sure how to start, and this is my first and we are both still learning how it works it takes us a while to latch on some times. Any advice? Do you experienced NIP moms have tops that work better? Do you drape a cloth over you? How long does it take you to latch, I am worried about the minutes of my boob hanging out without a baby on it
I didn't even try to NIP until we had the quick latch thing down. It took a lot longer for us to learn that with my ds...prob about 6 weeks, whereas it took only about 2 weeks with this babe. I just wear a regular t-shirt and lift from the bottom. I hate button down shirts and nursing shirts I just find annoying. I don't do a blanket or anything, I find that once baby is latched that I'm hardly showing anything at all. One thing that I am self-conscious about though is my belly showing since it's still all squishy. So I just ordered some belly huggers.

The practice in a mirror thing is a good idea. I first practiced when my dad came to visit. I figured if I could nurse in front of my dad, who is the very last person I ever want to see my boobs, then I could nurse anywhere lol.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#14 of 15 Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommaamy View Post
With ds2 I liked to just wear a low cut tank under my shirt & just lifted the shirt to nurse. When you are latching on, if the baby's mouth is at or near your nipple then their head is in front of it and you are pretty much covered.

It's gonna be fun NIP with my new dd, she's a nibbler - she pulls off, takes a break, then latches back on multiple times during a nursing session. Right now it sometimes takes her a few tries to get latched back on, milk is dripping everywhere, Any residual modesty I had with my other two kids is gonna go right out the door with this baby, I can tell already.
#15 of 15 Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM

That's how this baby is. He's a latch on latch off baby. And we're only now getting real good latches, so it's annoying. We haven't nip yet because of that, but I know it's bound to come up soon. He doesn't follow any schedule either and could want to eat 10 min after he's done.It doesn't help that I haven't figured out how to nurse in my hotsling yet. I need to practice at home. I guess the good thing about babywearing, is that even with milk drips during latch on or any leaking, as long as you don't have to take baby out of the pouch/sling your boobs are covered and no one is any wiser that your top is wet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page