induction tomorrow - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sadly none of the natural induction methods I tried such as acupuncture worked for me. I'm being induced tomorrow (at 42 wks) but going in tonight for the Cervadil.

I hadn't asked my OB for my Bishop's score on Weds when we did the NST but after doing my own research, it wouldn't appear to be high. On Weds, I was still 2cms, 50% effaced and -2 station. I'm not sure about the positioning of my cervix.

I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance from anyone's experience or knowledge?!?!

Also the stupid Doc/hospital has a policy of no food after 12pm today!!!! When my sister was induced in the UK she was brought lunch in the hospital at 12pm and they start the Pit 2 hrs later.

How ridiculous to expect me to sleep tonight on an empty stomach let alone have the energy to birth a baby tomorrow!!! My instinct tells me to ignore instructions and continue eating normally today and then have a light, easily digestible breakfast before going in in the morning. DH will also have a contraband banana and energy bar in the hospital bag at the ready. Should I be upfront about my rebellion if asked???!!

Rant over! thanks for your support

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#2 of 12 Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Sorry for the induction plans. I got induced and they wanted to put me on cervadil but had to take it out an hour later due to a dropping heartrate. I ate a banana at 6.pm on Feb. 27 (got induced at 7pm with the cervadil). After the cervadil was out, I was put on pitocin and couldn't eat no more. Real labor started on the 28. at 6pm so I hadn't eaten in 24 hours. I was weak and pushed for 6hours, falling asleep every now and then and talking about coffee and cheesecake. I ended up in the OR where I dry heaved, had I eaten before, I'd puked all over the place there but my belly was more than empty. I finally got something light (jello and juice) to eat on March 1st at around 5am. I don't know what advice to give you. On one side I'd say, go for it and eat a light breakfast and have little snacks every now and then but then again...if you end up in surgery and have to vomit....I don't know. Maybe some other moms can give you more advice.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

joy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Eat. I'm not in your DDC, but I saw this in new posts. They don't want you to eat just in case you have to have general anesthesia for a C-section, to avoid the risk of aspiration, but it's stupid because you likely wouldn't need general anyway, and the anesthesiologist would work as though you'd have eaten because it's an "emergency" surgery. But you need to eat, especially protein and fats. I wanted an egg salad sandwich during labor (don't ask me why, it's just what I craved) and my midwife practically RAN to the cafeteria to get one for me. There is nothing in evidence-based practice that supports starving a mother during labor, and most midwives will tell you to eat small, protein-heavy meals and snacks, and screw ice chips or IV fluids, drink water or juice or tea.
#4 of 12 Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 PM

I know it must be exciting to be meeting your babe tomorrow!

I have been induced basically twice. Once with my first for being very late, and then this time because my water broke and contractions didn't start up as soon as we'd have liked. Both times i was advised (1st time by my ob and 2nd by my midwife) to eat a good meal before heading into the hospital. I'd go ahead and eat if I were you. Not sure if I'd be truthful though--maybe only if you're headed into surgery. But you're not likely to be headed there.

You can google to find out how to figure your own Bishop's score. I'd find it for you, but I'm pecking this out one-handed (thanks to baby) with the older ones squabbling in the background.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#5 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM

I was pitocin induced around 2pm and was allowed/encouraged to eat until active labor started around midnight. We were very lucky to be in a progressive hospital. After that time they only allow easy to digest things- I had a few popsicles, which I did throw up when transition started- but that is just part of labor. I recomend eating something and sneaking food in- a starving mom won't have the energy for labor.

My induction went really well. I wasn't prepared for it because we were planning a totally natural labor- so it was scary when we were told to head to the hospital. But, other than being hooked up to the IV and monitor we had the birth we had hoped for. I hope yours goes well too.
#6 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 AM

i'd eat before, during and after labor......when i was induced i snuck food during labor, and im glad i did!
#7 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM

Thinking of you today!

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#8 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM

You will be holding that little one soon (if not already). Sorry I didnt see this sonner to reply to your questions but wanted to tell you CONGRATS!
#9 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 PM

You're in my thoughts today!!!
#10 of 12 Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM

good luck today!
#11 of 12 Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 AM

I hope it went well today and that you are holding your baby now!!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#12 of 12 Old 08-14-2007, 06:19 AM

I would say eat. I did, before and during my Pitocin induction at 42 weeks, and I really needed it. DH snuck me an energy bar and a cookie in early labor, and I was allowed jello by the hospital staff. Once active labor started I didn't feel like eating, but I drank Gatorade, and that helped.

Enjoy meeting your baby soon!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page