baby diaper rash almost 3 weeks now! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need advice!dd had rash for one week.red blisters,then skin peeling off,then bleeding.took her to the dr said try hydrocortizone cream and desitin and if it didnt get better in a day or two to try nystatin(yeast infection medicine).well tried both,its still not better.its not bleeding anymore,but its still not better.its been almost 3 weeks now.we use disposable diapers,and wipes.i started using a different brand of diapers and wipes,still no help.any ideas?!
#2 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM

nak

any chance your lo could have a latex allergy/sensitivity? Most disposable diapers have some latex in them. what you are describing sounds like what happens to my ds with latex sensitivity. you might want to try cloth for awile, or some of the cheaper store name disposables are latex free. you have to call the com[pany to know for sure tho. something to try anyways!
#3 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Ds 1 had that. We switched to the natural sposies from the health food store and then to cloth.
Lots of airtime for the little tush also works. Maybe a lukewarm sitzbath w chamomille 3x a day. Breastmilk is a natural antibiotic, just express some and let it airdry on his bumm.
Btw, even when my first son got better with wearing a sposie here and there to this point he cannot have any wipes on his bumm w/o breaking out, he's almost 5.
The first and easiest thing to change is to ditch the wipes and use washclothes and not too warm water instead.

Btw, sorry to butt in from another DDC, just saw this in the new posts...:

Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

When it's possible, just rinse off her little bum under the sink.

Then use Lanisoh, if you've got some, after you've air dried (and maybe put a little milk on it). It is so thick it won't rub off on the diaper and keeps the bad stuff off her skin.
#5 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanx mamas!such good ideas.i've got lots of wash cloths.and i have lansinoh too...i i have lots of prefolds but no covers,maybe this payday i'll have to get some! i'll keep ya posted...
#6 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Once its cleared up some....

I just use water wipes... cut a bounty towel roll in half or thirds and soak in water.... you can pull the wipes out from the middle (I take the cardboard core out before I put the water in.

Or I just use water if I can be in the bathroom or keep washcloths and some water by a changing table (a little colder option).
i just use regular wipes sometimes for poopy clean ups.

I do make sure to let her dry if I get her wet. And I use breastmilk at any sign of rash.
nak
Jessica

n

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 8 Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM

I second the latex allergy. My 4th child has a latex allergy. She also cant have bananas or apples. She still has some scaring on her tush from "bad diaper rashes" when she was a baby. She is two now- somehow she got hold of a banana the other day- her skin on her tush is just now healing.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#8 of 8 Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Poor babe! I hate diaper rash.

Some things we've done to help - air time, rinsing the solution out of wipes and wetting them with plain water instead, super-soft flannel wipes with water, using a microfleece liner inside the diaper to keep the skin away from contact with wetness, rinsing the bum well with a spray bottle at each diaper change & dry well, and Weleda Calendula Baby Cream as a healing ointment works nicely too.

oh, and if you want to use a prefold and don't have a cover, just lay her on a fleece blanket - even when the diaper is wet, it doesn't go through the fleece so the surface below won't get any pee on it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page