What supplements do you take? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
For anyone taking spirulina and/or chlorella, what form (pills, powder..) do you take it in and where do you buy it? I've read about all the great benefits there are to taking them (both when pg and not) but with so many options out there I want to make sure I get sometihing that is good quality.

TIA
I take it in capsules. We like NOW foods and find that iherb has good prices. I either buy powder or grind them up to put in smoothies for the kids.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#32 of 50 Old 12-23-2006, 02:29 AM

I take Vibe.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#33 of 50 Old 12-24-2006, 01:35 AM

what is VIBE?
#34 of 50 Old 12-24-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
what is VIBE?
http://www.eniva.com/products/prod_vibe1.html

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#35 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 PM

I'm taking prenatals, going to start a DHA suppliment soon, and monavie, an antioxident juice drink. I might be going crazy, and I might change my mind soon, but I could swear that the monavie is preventing morning sickness... it's the only thing different this pregnancy and I haven't even felt nauseus yet! Cool!

-Mindi
#36 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM

What don't I take would be an easier Q. I am a living pharmacy. I have to take a lot of these supplements b/c of my clotting genes so pregnant or not, half of them I have to take for the rest of my life.

- 1 generic Pre-natal
- 2 extra mg of Folic Acid for a total of 3mg a day
- 2 Garlic tablets
- 1, Calcium with Magnesium tablet
- 1, 1000 mcg of B12
- 1, 100 mg of B6
- 1 Baby Aspirin (81mg)
- 1, 1200mg Super Omega 3 from Omega Pur

I take all of mine at night or else I'd be so sick to my stomach.
#37 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
here's a breakdown of spirulina. http://www.spirulina.com/SPBNutrition.html

Here's a link about microhydrin http://www.antioxidantfoods.com/
Is the amount of vitamin A in this safe. There seems to be an excess amout of beta carotene in it, but I'm assuming that's safer than the other type of Vitamin A.

Thanks
#38 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I take Baby and Me with Herbs, from Megafoods. I used Rainbow Light throughout my first two pregnancies...but I liked this one because it only has about half of the necessary vitamin A. They are food based just like Rainbow Light, though I think they may be more expensive.

I like them alright, but I am still a bit unsure of them.

Anyone else using these? If yes, what do you think of them?

I have thought about trying Rainbow Light again next time I need vitamins..just to see if there is a difference in my energy level.

--I also like to drink the Vitamin water with B vitamins...I used to drink like 5 a day but I have cut back to one with the pregnancy...can you get too many B vitamins in pregnancy?

*With the Vitamin A question...I think that it is too much Vitamin A Palmitate that can cause the majority of health problems in the growing fetus...but I am not entirely sure.
#39 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheartforhome View Post
Is the amount of vitamin A in this safe. There seems to be an excess amout of beta carotene in it, but I'm assuming that's safer than the other type of Vitamin A.

Thanks
I just looked this up. Apparently, this all originates from a NEJM study in 1995 that indicated that high levels of vitamin A, especially in early pregnancy, might correspond to birth defects.

Among the many problems of this study is the fact that it was retrospective. The fact that they were just looking at vitamin intake doesn't mean that that's the only important factor in whatever the pregnant women were consuming. In other words, (and yes, being stupid to make a point), they were all breathing, yet that wasn't considered as a possible link. Another issue with the study is just how much vitamin A is considered increasing the risks. The study examined levels of 30,000 IU of vitamin A. To put that into perspective, looking at the label off CLO which has vitamin A in it, one serving has 1000-2000 IU. Also according to the label I'm looking at, that is 20-40% DV. Also, vitamin A deficiencies are known to cause birth defects.

You need vitamin A. It's useful for cell formation and function, it's incredibly beneficial to immune system. It is necessary for cellular differentiation and organ development in the fetus. Pregnant women should limit their daily intake between 4000-8000 IU, according to this study.

Beta Carotene is not vitamin A. It is a precurser to vitamin A that the body can convert to vitamin A when needed. It is considered safe and not included in the above study. Most vitamins nowadays have the vitamin A in the form of beta carotene, so again, the above study doesn't apply.

I hope this helps!
-Mindi
#40 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM

supermuma: tons of vitamin b can be a problem, but if you are talking about just a little over the rda (what i take) you should be just fine; your body will just excrete it; you may have flourescent yellow pee.
#41 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrey View Post
What don't I take would be an easier Q. I am a living pharmacy. I have to take a lot of these supplements b/c of my clotting genes so pregnant or not, half of them I have to take for the rest of my life.

- 1 generic Pre-natal
- 2 extra mg of Folic Acid for a total of 3mg a day
- 2 Garlic tablets
- 1, Calcium with Magnesium tablet
- 1, 1000 mcg of B12
- 1, 100 mg of B6
- 1 Baby Aspirin (81mg)
- 1, 1200mg Super Omega 3 from Omega Pur

I take all of mine at night or else I'd be so sick to my stomach.
Wow, 3 mgs! I was kind of worried about taking 1 mg. I guess I shouldn't worry.

I'm taking SuperNutrition Prenatals (3 a day for now) and about 1 mg folic acid.
#42 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM

I take Blue Ice cod liver oil, Garden of Life Living Multi, use a fair amount of nutritional yeast, and a green drink mix (with spirulina, chlorella, wheat grass, probiotics, etc. It's called Vitamineral Green). Until just this past week I was also taking extra folic acid, 800 mcg/day.
#43 of 50 Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM

I take rainbow light one a days, and a probiotic. I will start taking a red raspberry leaf capsule soon too. I am not a big tea drinker...
I swear the rrl made a huge difference for me. I took it with baby #3, and had very little bleeding after birth, and didn't take(took is sporadically) with baby #4 and bled quite a bit and almost got a pit shot.

I am thinking on some of the other supplements mentioned here now too though...I def. want to get some omega 3's somehow...not sure if any fish oils are safe, anyone know about the nercury conent in those?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#44 of 50 Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 AM

mamamoo,
I can only speak about Nordic Naturals because I've researched them, and they are purifed so all mercury is out, in fact they excede pharmaceutical grade quality for heavy metal content, peroxides, PCBs, and other contaminants. I think most DHA/EPA suppliments are purifed to some extent these days, but definitely it's worth getting a suppliment that is at least pharmaceutical grade.
-Mindi
#45 of 50 Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 PM

I take Rainbow light 3 times a day.

Last pregnancy I did juice plus and folic acid and my bloodwork was text book perfect and my baby was very pink righ at birh. Juice Plus had acidopholis(sp) and it was my 1st pregnancy I didn't had constipation or hemroids. It was the best.
#46 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM

My midwife swears by Nature's Sunshine. I take their PNV (only 1 a day -- yea!), liquid CalMg, and VitC with bioflavinoids. Also, flaxseed oil in my whey protein shake (I'm veg, so I struggle to get my 100 grams of protein otherwise). For non-vegs, Carlson's fish oil is great.

I'm considering a B12 supplement as well, as my HgB was a little lower than usual when I checked it yesterday. B12 is a challenge for vegs to get enough of, and is necessary for iron uptake. Anyone have experience with this?

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#47 of 50 Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM

kristen1978-just wondering what brand of whey protien you use? I haven't found one that I'm 100% comfortable with all of the ingredients.
Thanks,
Teri
#48 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 AM

I'm taking a BarleyGreen supplement. And my DD's kid vitamins from the health food store. 3 different ones: mulit, spirulina/greens, probiotics.

I always end up with really low iron, so I'll be starting blackstrap molasses and Floradix soon.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#49 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 AM

Is there a good website or book that will tell me what different vitamins are for? I would like to start taking the right kinds of vitamins for me, I'm currently only take a multivitamin. I used to take two Tums for the calcium everyday, but it started making me throw up after taking them
#50 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 AM

I'm taking a basic prenatal from Sam's Club. I just remembered hearing that probiotics are supposed to be good in pregnancy, and we have some for my husband's colon problems, so I may start taking those too. I like whey protein shakes and drank a bunch of them in my first pregnancy, but with this one I'm finding it hard to get the time to make them (the blender freaks my toddler out, so I have to get his dad to take him away for a little while).

I should probably stop at the health food store and see if I can find something else that would be good to add to my protein shakes ... any suggestions? Spirulina, wheat grass, something else?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page