Have you seen a midwife/doc yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't seen anyone yet because I don't want to go to a doctor and I can't afford a midwife. I am hoping and praying that somehow we will come up with the funds to afford a midwife and that Dh will be convinced of its importance. So, so far it's a UP for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 AM

I called my two preferred midwifery groups (not sure yet if we are going to be able to swing this financially, but reasonably optimistic), and one wouldn't take me till last week, and another not until I do their open house on Wednesday, and only after that can I make an appt for my prenatal. I had an appt. with the former, but cancelled it because the other practice is substantially less expensive and nice about working with the insurance company (we'll see...) I am 8 weeks today. I do NOT plan on going UP, it's just that many don't do it this early (which I think is stupid, given the importance of diet at this stage, but I guess they don't want to waste their time until they know babe is going to stick). I grew up in a place with major teaching hospitals, not as fancy as where I am now, but still not shabby, and no OB practice there will see women until 12 weeks (to my mother's frustration).
Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 AM

We did an interview type meeting a couple of weeks ago. Just to touch base and such.

-Angela
Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 AM

Going UP, as well. The closest to an appointment I've gotten was a friend of mine, who is a non-practising midwife, coming over today and teaching me to check fundal height and answering a couple of questions of mine about the urine testing strips that I plan on purchasing.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 AM

I haven't 'technically' been though I have had an US and will have another one next week. Then I'll be released to regular care. They haven't done anything 'prenatally' to me. Just checked the babies location and size via US and reported to the fertility clinic. I'll start seeing the OB regularly probably 12 weeks.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 AM

I'm living in Sweden, and they normally don't see anyone until week 12, and no US until 16-18 weeks. There is an option to get a private US, which I think I'll do. It is standard to see a MW here, and she'll do my routine care, but then I need to find a Dr. to do the C/S... It's weird not being able to have a sono at 8wks....

-H
Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 AM

I saw my regular doctor immediately after finding out that I was pregnant (at about 6 weeks). She ordered an early ultrasound to check dates; I was mostly concerned because my last pregnancy was a ruptured ectopic and I wanted to be very sure it wasn't happening again. Luckily everything looked normal on the U/S and I got to see the little heartbeat.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't been yet. I'm doing mostly a UP. I have to see an OB twice to get a birth certificate in this country.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 AM

I met my MW for an info session a couple of wks ago, first appt is Jan. 17. I'll be around 12 wks.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Not yet. My midwife is on a service mission in Sierra Leone and won't be back for several days yet. I am hoping she won't be too busy this year--she's the director of the Midwifery school here, and will be going back to Sierra Leone too. If she can't, there are several midwives in town, but I am really hoping not to have to change to someone else.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM

No visits here, yet. I still have to schedule the interview w/the midwife before the first prenatal (which she prefers not to do until 10-12 weeks). I'm definitely ready to do the interview, but we are in the middle of remodeling, and I'm not going to be ready to have anyone in the house for another 1-2 weeks.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 AM

I just finished a major paper and exam today! WHOOPEE, I'm free. (I'm a nursing student, technically on winter break, but making up late work from the fall term.) My *next* big project is calling the insurance company to see how this whole homebirth-with-mw thingy sounds to them, yuck. I had the opportunity to work at a birthing center for an independent study and I met a midwife just starting out a homebirthing practice and I fell in LOVE with her and decided I wanted her even before I got pregnant! She told me I should interview a few other mws, but I'm pretty sure she's the one! So I'm working on that for the rest of the week. I aim to start seeing a mw around 12/13 wks (I'm just 9 right now).[oops, wishful thinking, I'm just passed 8 weeks now, duh]

mama to my little lion, Ariel since 10 Aug 2007
all about love
Old 01-03-2007, 02:01 AM

my first appointment is tomorrow, and i have another one (with a different midwife) next week. i'm planning on talking with a few people to find a good match...

Busy mama of
Old 01-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Yes, but only because I work with her! Most of our clients don't come in until 12 weeks.

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
I haven't seen anyone yet because I don't want to go to a doctor and I can't afford a midwife. I am hoping and praying that somehow we will come up with the funds to afford a midwife and that Dh will be convinced of its importance. So, so far it's a UP for me.
I'm in the same boat. Trying to get a job so I can afford a midwife.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM

I am seeing my hemotologist tomorrow (finally!!!) to get started on my blood thinning injections and I am approaching 6 weeks.

In terms of an OB, Peri etc, I have an appt with my family doc on the 12th to get a referral to one and probably will be in to see them much sooner than later. I will also be continually monitored throughout my pregnancy and my guess is I will have bi-weekly appts and blood work.

But I am also considered a high risk pregnancy so my case is a tad different than the norm.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, haven't seen anyone yet. I probably won't until around 12 weeks. I figure before then they really can't do anything except take you BP and have you pee on one of those strips so there's no point yet. The closest MW to me are about an hour away. I feel great and I'm not having any problem or issues so I'm not worried about it. I would be having a UP/UC, but since this is a surro/planned adoption, I'll have a MWHB for my IPs.

Of course, I do need to go to the hospital on base to get a + pg test from them and my pregnancy profile, but even then they won't see me until 12 weeks. They're ridiculousy over booked (and don't like to refer out) so they won't see anyone until 12 or 14 weeks, unless of course there's a problem. That's the great thing about an entire Division just returning from a year long deployment-everyone's getting knocked up! They won't even admit you to L&D if you're less than 5 cms or you can still talk through contractions! Glad I'm staying home.

Anyway-totally got off subject there-so no, no prenatal so far.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM

greengrey, so glad you got into the hematologist. i have been thinking of you.

tonight is the open house (q and a session) with our first choice (cheaper) midwifery practice.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 PM

I went in a couple of weeks ago...I am planning a hb, but wwwent to the mw clinic here so I could get an u/s appt for dates. This pregnancy was a surprise and I had a spooty period the month before I missed a period, so I wasn't sure if I'd be due in July or Aug...
Had the u/s today. Now I need to figure out who I am goign to have for a mw since my amazing mw that was there for my last 2 babes moved away.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Haven't been yet. I am still trying to locate a midwife. They are few and far between around here.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Aww! Thanks PiePie!

Believe me when his office called me today with an opening for tomorrow, I was like "Just say when..."
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 AM

Haven't been yet. My HMO wants me to go tot he same OB office I did last time. Which is basically okay with me, I had a very hands off and supportive OB who never argued when I declined anything. But there is a free standing Birth Center I'd like to check out about an hour away. I need to try and get my insurance to cover for me, before I go see it an fall in love with the place.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:29 PM

I have an appt with a homebirth midwife next week.

I'm hoping all goes well and we "click", or I'll be scrambling to find another CNM (since my insurance won't cover a lay midwife).

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM

I've been in to do labs and register with the OB dept. My first official appt is in 3 wks.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
I'm in the same boat. Trying to get a job so I can afford a midwife.
I interviewed a midwife and to my surprise they get almost as much as a OB. But hopefully my insurace will cover some (haven't called yet). I really want a homebirth.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4daughters View Post
I interviewed a midwife and to my surprise they get almost as much as a OB. But hopefully my insurace will cover some (haven't called yet). I really want a homebirth.
Well they do the same job right? Just in different ways, and of course a midwife spends much more time with you so she should actually get more.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoontz View Post
Well they do the same job right? Just in different ways, and of course a midwife spends much more time with you so she should actually get more.
Your absolutely right one of the reasons I want to go to a midwife! guess i'm just used to the insurance paying and not me.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM

I got my insurance to cover my mw attented homebirth by threatening to change plans, and letting all the moms in my playgroups and online know that they don't care about a woman's right to give birth with her prefered practitioner. I was talking to the supervisor. SHe left me with just saying, I wish there was something I could do, and I got a call back first thing int he am saying they would cover it. I would fight it, unless you no longer have insurance?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 AM

I see my dr for the first time tomorrow. I have my 3rd U/S also. I am high risk so I will be seeing LOTS of my dr
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
I got my insurance to cover my mw attented homebirth by threatening to change plans, and letting all the moms in my playgroups and online know that they don't care about a woman's right to give birth with her prefered practitioner. I was talking to the supervisor. SHe left me with just saying, I wish there was something I could do, and I got a call back first thing int he am saying they would cover it. I would fight it, unless you no longer have insurance?
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks.

User Tag List