Help me not feel sick! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, today I woke up and the morning sickness has hit. I feel horrible. All food and drink is just gross, gross, gross. What the heck do you eat when you have morning sickness? I know I HAVE to eat otherwise I will just feel worse (right? Because if not let me know. NOT eating feels like the easiest choice). How do you even motivate yourself to get the food and actually put it in your mouth? The whole idea is absolutely disgusting. Ack. Please help me. I really don't want to puke at work.
#2 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 02:37 PM

cold liquids go down best. refined carbs tend to make most women feel better. you want to get ginger hard candies or gum -- they make it bearable but not much better. believe it or not, you want to go for a walk in the fresh air.
#3 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Crackers and anything salty help me.

ugh.

-Angela
#4 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Ah Emily!!! It's here...

Last night I took my regular vitamins and had the hardest time keeping them down (doesn't help that I have a cold and a sore throat).

It's like it just starts out of nowhere.

I find that drinking Ginger Ale and eating crackers is the only thing that tames me. I have to have some form of toast or bread in my stomach.
#5 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM

im soo sorry your not feeling well. Try gingersnap cookies with real ginger....it's the ginger that helps.

cold liquids are good.....do NOT get dehydrated you will feel even worse!!

eat whatever sounds good to you, for weeks i lived off bakes potato's and hamburgers from fast food joints....you can worry about eating healthy when you start feeling better!

ok now the meds i take....i take zofran and unisom (over the counter sleeping pills) and i found this combo works best...i know it sounds crazy but the sleeping pills really help the most with the nausia and they arn't super strong so i can take them during the day and still function for the most part!

i'm just starting to get over the morning sickness so i know how you feel and i hope it passes quickly for you!
#6 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 04:47 PM

To feel better in the morning, when it's the hardest to feed yourself, try a snack with carb and protein right before you go to bed. I feel amazing (well relative to feeling horrible, anyhow) when I eat a toasted whole-wheat english muffin and peanut butter right before bed (brushing teeth becomes a little difficult with this, it's true, but you can put that off til morning). Some other mommas have mentioned cottage or other cheese, maybe with crackers. Also, saltine-type crackers before you even get up and move around in the morning. You just have to shove it down, you won't want or enjoy it.

Also, I've been making ginger "tea" by slicing or grating fresh ginger and pouring hot water over it, letting it steep about five minutes or more. I sip it with whatever I'm eating and that seems to keep the "post-eating sickness" at bay. You could make a bunch of the ginger tea and then cool it if cold drinks sound better (I've been liking hot, actually).

Hope you (and everyone!) feels better soon.
Ditto to whoever said fresh air.. a little walk outside can be super. Also, just let yourself go slooooooooooow. Hurrying is the absolute worst! (You have to decide if the trade-off in sleep is worth it, but I get up a little earlier so I can go very slow in the morning, even get a little rest time after eating)

mama to my little lion, Ariel since 10 Aug 2007
all about love
#7 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Good suggestions so far! I definitely second the fresh air one! That is really helping me a lot. My nausea comes and goes, some days I feel okay, other days (like today) I don't feel good at all. Toast is helpful. Almonds really help me a lot. I nibble them throughout the day, and also eat pieces of dried ginger along with the almonds. Yogurt, in small amounts is good. I have my DH get me some juice and almonds first thing in the a.m before I get out of bed. GRAPEFRUIT is my best friend these days. That's pretty much the only thing I consistently WANT and enjoy.
#8 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM

I found that if I kept a bag of crackers or cereal on me at all times an ate a few bites every few min. and drank cold water and ginger tea, life was "bearable" for me last time morning sickness caused a weight loss of 12 lbs... But I got by, and felt great around week 14...

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
  *¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
#9 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM

Have you tried Sea Bands? They're these little cuffs with a hard plastic button sticking down on the inside. You put them on according to the directions and they push on the accupressure points on the insides of your wrists that counteract nausea. They don't take it away totally, but you're not completely at the mercy of your digestive system.

They were complete life savers with my second pregnancy and I wore them until 7 months (when it FINALLY went away). Hopefully the morning sickness won't last as long this time. It's not as severe as it was then, so I'm taking that as a sign. The ones I have from that pregnancy haven't been working as well this time, so today I got a new pair. The old ones are completely stretched out in comparison. No wonder they weren't doing much. I've been wearing the new ones and have been functional all day today.

Our local drug store carries them and if they're available here in the land of the mainstream, you should be able to find them where ever you are.

And I also second the fresh air thing. It really helps. It's January in South Dakota and two of my windows are open. Although it is unseasonably warm today (high of 45 F).
#10 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Morning sickness is setting in with me, too. Although I seem to get it worse at the end of the day. I just managed to eat some supper, but now I feel like throwing it right back up again.
#11 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM

Salty helps me. I visited with a midwife the other day who told me to try protein shakes. I haven't tried them yet though, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness.
#12 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 AM

i wasn't keeping ANY food down at all, not even crackers or ginger ale. a friend suggested sea bands, and let me tell you, they are the miracle cure that i was looking for! i have still been sick 2 times since i began wearing them, but that is much better than 2-3 times a day like i was.

i bought mine in Boots (in the UK), but you can also buy them online or at drug stores
#13 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 AM

crackers and bread did nothing for me my 1st two pregnancies. It is important that you get protein, it stays with you longer. With my last pregnancy, it was watermelon in the AM - and the occasional egg McMuffin: . Also, I like half lemonade half iced tea. Water just made me gag - anything with too much sugar stayed in my mouth and made me sick! I'm struggling with it now. I'm finding cut up cucumbers in ranch (made with yogurt) dip is a relief. Cheese helps me too. It's easier if it's all cut up (for you!) and ready to take nibbles on, and then nibble all the time. I kept Almonds in my pockets.

Take care!

-H
#14 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. It may be time to invest in some seabands. This sickness thing is just getting worse. Luckily (so far) I am able to eat a fairly normal dinner (usually pasta or rice dish), but the mornings are HORRIBLE and afternoons not much better. I am nibbling on triscuits right now and they seem to be helping a little.

My biggest problem is that after I eat a food once (say cheese), even if it ends up helping me feel better, the thought of eating that food again is SO disgusting!!! I can't even stand looking at it in the fridge! Ugh. Is this happening to anyone else? Have you found any "bullet proof" foods? I am even starting to hate gingerale (and it always makes me feel better). Ahhh.

BTW, what the heck is the "point" (from an biological or evolutionary perspective) of morning sickness?
#15 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM

I have no clue what the point of ms is, but make sure to eat throughout the day. Before oyu would normally eat lunch or whatever have a snack with protein, clery and peanut butter, cheese and crackers, the protein really helps, and it helps to eat it while you are justa little queasy and not full blown sick feeling. Also at your night meal eat protein, if oyu are having pasta or rice have a chicken breast(or tofu, or whatever you would normally eat). It really, truly helps!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#16 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
BTW, what the heck is the "point" (from an biological or evolutionary perspective) of morning sickness?
morning sickness is our way of "handling" the extreme change in hormones that is happening as we puke up our lunch! Crappy i know! :

just think back before pregnancy tests if we didnt have morning sickness and has unusual cycles we would have no idea we were pregnant if we didnt start puking!
#17 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I second a protein at night before bed. And I've been waking up sick early in the morning (2-4am) I get up and make toast - the thought of which repulses me, but I feel better afterwards.

-H
#18 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 03:52 PM

my best advice is eat Before you're hungry. especially in the morning. and NOT just a muffin and milk (which is what i tried today). i have to eat a steady stream of food "snacks" for a couple hours to keep the nausea at bay.

example: get up, eat a banana nut muffin (carb) and a glass of milk (protein). wait an hour or two (at the longest) and eat an english muffin with melted cheese, with rrl tea. wait an hour or two and eat...by lunch i may have convinced myself that a carrot would be good, but can't seem to eat the broccoli i prewashed and cut into bites...still waiting for the mental gag reflex to subside.

oh, and if the nausea does start, i HAVE to eat something right away or it gets much, much worse. i have stuffed almonds into my mouth, dreading their mealy dry texture, and washed them down with cold water, and felt better within ten minutes.

ah, the joys of nausea!

Busy mama of
#19 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
My biggest problem is that after I eat a food once (say cheese), even if it ends up helping me feel better, the thought of eating that food again is SO disgusting!!! I can't even stand looking at it in the fridge! Ugh. Is this happening to anyone else?
YES! And it wasn't like that last time. It sucks. I'll think of ONE thing I can stand to eat, and then once I eat it, it goes on the aversion list.

My single absolutely safe food is Rice Krispies. And I can usually handle Grape-Nuts. So when I'm doing pretty bad, I eat those two and figure I'm getting in at least a little nutrition.
#20 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 AM

I have used sea bands before and thought they really helped. I also think almonds are helping. Water is disgusting to me too! I have to have something lemon or apple with ice, lots of water (dilluted) and a straw--isn't that ridiculous! Greasy foods are BAD. Nut butter on spelt pretzels is pretty good, and munster cheese on rice crackers.

The refrigerator STINKS!! I mean, it smells bad and I can't stand to open it--I'm not even really sure of all what is in there. After I have cooked something for the kids, I can't eat it. I also have trouble writing a list or grocery shopping because thinking about food too much makes me SO ill. I am 11 weeks, and praying for relief in 2 more weeks!
#21 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd share a new technique I tried today (inspired by farmama & mom22girls, and everyone else who said eat frequently). My normal wake up time is 7:45AM. I went to bed at midnight (after eating a small snack). I then set one alarm for 4:45AM (and kept the other alarm at my normal wake up time). At 4:45AM I got up and went and made myself peanutbutter toast and drank a glass of milk. It did not feel that sick at 4:45 so it was pretty easy to do. After eating I went back to bed and tried to go back to sleep (this was a little bit tough, but I got some sleep). When I woke up at 7:45AM, I felt *almost* normal!!! It was awesome. It sucks waking up in the middle of the night to eat, but I think going no more than 4-5 hours without food really is key. I can still tell I am "off" today, but it isn't that horrible sick, I just want to lie down and die feeling. If you are really struggling in the morning (but feel better in the evening) you might want to try this.
#22 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 PM

A note of encouragement- IT WILL PASS!! I felt sooooo sick from weeks 5-9.5 A month of lying on the couch a lot, eating tons of carbs, drinking ginger tea and peppermint tea and complaining.

In the last week- it has started to go away!! Yeah!! Now, I have some gagging with certain foods, but at least the nausea and dizzyness and headaches have passed... If I don't eat every 2 hours, however, I feel really sick.

I know it is different for everyone... Good luck ladies!
#23 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM

I just hit 9 weeks on SUnday, and last night/today have been the WORST! I have tried taking my own advice above, and could barely choke down some of a piece of string cheese, 2 crackers, and a yogurt spread out this morning. I just felt god enough to get off the couch at about 11 or noon, and I am eating some pasta with cheese, and I still feel queasy. Blech!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#24 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM

im a bit ahead of you guys (i'll be 11 weeks friday) but i still feel like crap!!! i'm supose to go back to work at the end of the month but i serously dont know how i will do that if im not feeling better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page